• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You've got work to do Sony, don't get complacent...

I think XO19 has just been a great reminder about what fans loved about PSX. We aren't expecting ground breaking announcements but it's always nice to have an update, reach out to fans and discuss future plans to a certain degree. But in my humble opinion, I believe Sony have work to do and the reason is simple, since E3 2018, Microsoft have dominated the conversation. Nobody disputes the success Sony has had in this length of time, with killer games and great sales but the message was quiet, radio silence and then the 'State of Play' videos which felt like 95% filler and 5% meat. If it was Shawn Layden's decisions to make Sony become so quiet, you can see why to an extent that staff have been moved around. I wouldn't necessarily call this 'arragont' Sony but complacent. Okay, you're arms and head above the competition and you just kind of stopped. Said this is what we're doing until PlayStation 5 and stopped, even though ironically, The Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls were great new IP that both launched in the same year as PlayStation 4.

But a less than stellar E3 2018, meaningful but not necessarily impactful, followed by a no-show at E3 2019, no PSX since 2017 and little in the way of communication from the giant and I believe it's true. Most of the conversation around Sony in that time was mostly negative I believe, with an emphasis on cross-play issues amongst others. I believe Microsoft are truly showing that they're ready to compete and step toe to toe with PlayStation and that next generation we may see a bigger battle fought on multiple fronts from cross platform gaming, exclusive games, third party support, cloud gaming, services and more. PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now are going to have a hell of a time upgrading their offers to compete with xCloud and Game Pass.

Whatever 2020 brings for PlayStation fans, I can only hope that it's something tasty because Sony have had two perfectly good years to curb stomp Microsoft into obscurity from a business perspective and instead they tied their arms behind their back in a boxing match and Microsoft are unashamedly throwing punches galore. Not a great look, but perhaps Jim Ryan and the team from here on in will look to change this?

Personally I'd love to see Sony make some great acquisitions, whether it's IP or talent or studios. Come out swinging with all WWS releasing a diverse range of titles and much better services from the platform holder as arguably PlayStation Plus is no longer great value for money, unless you need to play online. PlayStation Now is only now (haha get it? now?) being utilised properly due to the threat of other entrants into the market. I wonder if this is the kick up the arse they need to take it to the next step?

Honestly, I'd love to see them acquire Konami. Revive Team Silent at Sony Japan Studio and make Silent Hills under the creative super vision of Hideo Kojima. Speaking of Kojima, let him return to Metal Gear if he so wishes too. Have FromSoftware cook up a Castlevania game that's reminiscent of Bloodborne and see if Capcom fancy making a Bloody Roar game. Check out the catalogue of IP and see where it goes. Love it.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Some of these threads are golden. Sony has shit to do but keep giving us the great hardware and exclusives they've been given us tht has the competition jelly. Idk from what bizarro world OP is viewing shit from but thy curb stomped Microsoft this gen and made microsoft lose the ground thy had once gained with ps3 situation.

This OP is laughable imo.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I hope Sony doesn't change, nor its gamers.

Keep buying games at full price, and a Game Pass version comes out later where lots of us signed up for multiple years of Ultimate for $1.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Some of these threads are golden. Sony has shit to do but keep giving us the great hardware and exclusives they've been given us tht has the competition jelly. Idk from what bizarro world OP is viewing shit from but thy curb stomped Microsoft this gen and made microsoft lose the ground thy had once gained with ps3 situation.

Well laugh away, it's observational. Given the fact that Sony are approaching their peak and Microsoft continue to gather momentum, you can hardly argue they curb stomped them. This generation was gifted in a sense from Don Mattrick and his incredibly poor leadership that made the XBOX One launch a shit show. Microsoft had to really turn it around and they're doing a great job but next year, both companies go back to ground zero. Great hardware and great exclusives can't constantly be produced. Sometimes things don't come out as planned etc. Plus from a service perspective Microsoft are very much in the lead there.

Yes, a competitor announces a bunch of games that they've already had available on their platform(s) for decades and they are the ones with work to do.

It's not a knee jerk reaction, I admire the effort Microsoft have made and highlighting the lack of effort Sony have made on certain fronts. We've known about all their future plans for years, but rather than add to them which they did with PS3, they just stopped. After Last of Us Part II, we know nothing apart from new console etc. In my opinion, Sony stopped trying in 2018

I'm just saying but as someone who works in video game retail, Microsoft are doing the right thing. Dominating the conversation and with how Death Stranding has dropped off in sales, the big thing we're asked about now for Christmas and Black Friday is XBOX One and Game Pass.

What has MS shown since E3 2018 that makes you say "they have dominated the conversation"?

Yes Sony has a lot of work to do next gen (same as MS and Nintendo) but not because MS have shown anything remarkable lately.

So E3 2018 for Sony was less than stellar. Microsoft had some great positivity coming out of it whilst I think a lot of people, myself included thought what the hell is this pretentious shit Sony? Just get the stage set and let's look at the games, talk shop etc. Come E3 2019, they didn't have a conference or attend. They just allowed Microsoft to eat up the media and attention as far as console manufacturers are concerned, Square Enix may as well have had the Sony conference this year.

No PSX last year and no PSX this year so you're not going to see any announcements from that, nor has State of Play been substantial enough to really make it an event worth reasonable hype. The infrequency of it after the first two aired so closely created a false expectation and we went months wondering when the next one would be.

Sony massively stepped in it with their poor reasons about the prevention of cross play with Fortnite. This isn't really a big issue for me but it was for so many other people and this wasn't great publicity for them. Speaking of poor publicity, Sony also had to take a step back from Quantic Dream with the whole studio standards fiasco which I think made Sony decide against an acquisition. PlayStation Classic was a complete disappointment and Sony have only really launched two major AAA titles this year in Death Stranding and Days Gone. Okay, we still got MediEvil, Blood and Truth as well as Concrete Genie and some other great games but for the most part, their sales performance speaks for itself. What's even going on with Dreams? (MediEvil being the exception there, it seems to be doing quite well.)

I think the past two years have been very mixed for Sony. Incredible successes and a lot of things that just should have been better. Microsoft on the flip side released XBOX One X, had a lot of positivity about cross play, had many studio acquisitions to announce as well as some upcoming announcements for games and franchises from their new studios, Their services continue to be spoken about a lot, especially Game Pass which a lot of people really like and it's driving XBOX One S all-digital sales at work. Black Friday ought to be interesting. Microsoft had E3 pretty much to themselves this year as well as XO this year and last.

The turn around from Microsoft has been very admirable and it's a lot like Sony in the PS3 generation and from an outside perspective, it looks a lot like it did before. Microsoft are gradually receiving many previously PlayStation exclusive titles, their services and new console is being spoken of a lot. They have a lot going on.

What's coming after TLOU Part II? Because honestly, communication from Sony has been dreadful.

Last edited:

Yeah but keep in mind the tides can always change. The OP is concerned that if Sony continues to be quiet, the Tortoise will eventually pass the hare.

Well laugh away, it's observational. Given the fact that Sony are approaching their peak and Microsoft continue to gather momentum, you can hardly argue they curb stomped them. This generation was gifted in a sense from Don Mattrick and his incredibly poor leadership that made the XBOX One launch a shit show. Microsoft had to really turn it around and they're doing a great job but next year, both companies go back to ground zero. Great hardware and great exclusives can't constantly be produced. Sometimes things don't come out as planned etc. Plus from a service perspective Microsoft are very much in the lead there.

It's not a knee jerk reaction, I admire the effort Microsoft have made and highlighting the lack of effort Sony have made on certain fronts. We've known about all their future plans for years, but rather than add to them which they did with PS3, they just stopped. After Last of Us Part II, we know nothing apart from new console etc. In my opinion, Sony stopped trying in 2018

I'm just saying but as someone who works in video game retail, Microsoft are doing the right thing. Dominating the conversation and with how Death Stranding has dropped off in sales, the big thing we're asked about now for Christmas and Black Friday is XBOX One and Game Pass.

So E3 2018 for Sony was less than stellar. Microsoft had some great positivity coming out of it whilst I think a lot of people, myself included thought what the hell is this pretentious shit Sony? Just get the stage set and let's look at the games, talk shop etc. Come E3 2019, they didn't have a conference or attend. They just allowed Microsoft to eat up the media and attention as far as console manufacturers are concerned, Square Enix may as well have had the Sony conference this year.

No PSX last year and no PSX this year so you're not going to see any announcements from that, nor has State of Play been substantial enough to really make it an event worth reasonable hype. The infrequency of it after the first two aired so closely created a false expectation and we went months wondering when the next one would be.

Sony massively stepped in it with their poor reasons about the prevention of cross play with Fortnite. This isn't really a big issue for me but it was for so many other people and this wasn't great publicity for them. Speaking of poor publicity, Sony also had to take a step back from Quantic Dream with the whole studio standards fiasco which I think made Sony decide against an acquisition. PlayStation Classic was a complete disappointment and Sony have only really launched two major AAA titles this year in Death Stranding and Days Gone. Okay, we still got MediEvil, Blood and Truth as well as Concrete Genie and some other great games but for the most part, their sales performance speaks for itself. What's even going on with Dreams? (MediEvil being the exception there, it seems to be doing quite well.)

I think the past two years have been very mixed for Sony. Incredible successes and a lot of things that just should have been better. Microsoft on the flip side released XBOX One X, had a lot of positivity about cross play, had many studio acquisitions to announce as well as some upcoming announcements for games and franchises from their new studios, Their services continue to be spoken about a lot, especially Game Pass which a lot of people really like and it's driving XBOX One S all-digital sales at work. Black Friday ought to be interesting. Microsoft had E3 pretty much to themselves this year as well as XO this year and last.

The turn around from Microsoft has been very admirable and it's a lot like Sony in the PS3 generation and from an outside perspective, it looks a lot like it did before. Microsoft are gradually receiving many previously PlayStation exclusive titles, their services and new console is being spoken of a lot. They have a lot going on.

What's coming after TLOU Part II? Because honestly, communication from Sony has been dreadful.
This makes too much sense lol.

Just in case it was a question, I agree with this post whole heartedly.

bitbydeath

Sony are charging into next-gen, there is also GoT.

sMTwf3.gif

I would need a game pass like service on PS5 to consider it I think. I only like Bloodborne and GoW from Sony this gen, not enough to warrant me going Sony next gen even if PS5 is more powerful.

Shit, I would even buy a weaker Xbox if it matches performance of the bigger version but at 1080p/no ray tracing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I agree with OP.

Game Pass is Microsoft's / Xbox's absolute killer app. Sony fans always counter with "but muh Playstation Now". Playstation Now is a great service but isn't even nearly on the level of Game Pass. And even if it were, Sony's communication on the service has been really lackluster. Microsoft makes new game announcements an event. Nearly every month. Most people (even here on NeoGAF where we're supposed to be the experts) don't even realize that you can use Playstation Now to download games to your PS4 instead of streaming them - a feature that's been available to the service for well over a year.

I absolutely believe that Sony's lack of event present in that timeframe and it's lack of counter-marketing to the Game Pass phenomenon is going to bite them in the ass.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I agree with OP.

Game Pass is Microsoft's / Xbox's absolute killer app. Sony fans always counter with "but muh Playstation Now". Playstation Now is a great service but isn't even nearly on the level of Game Pass. And even if it were, Sony's communication on the service has been really lackluster. Microsoft makes new game announcements an event. Nearly every month. Most people (even here on NeoGAF where we're supposed to be the experts) don't even realize that you can use Playstation Now to download games to your PS4 instead of streaming them - a feature that's been available to the service for well over a year.

I absolutely believe that Sony's lack of event present in that timeframe and it's lack of counter-marketing to the Game Pass phenomenon is going to bite them in the ass.

Game Pass is going to be the "Netflix for Games" when X Cloud launches.

In comparison PS Now is like the used game bin at GameStop where you go to find year old games no one really cares about anymore.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's a tough position for Sony to be in. The stakes keep getting higher, and the pressure is more intense.

Any little fuck up could cost them dearly.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yeah but keep in mind the tides can always change. The OP is concerned that if Sony continues to be quiet, the Tortoise will eventually pass the hare.

Sony hasn't been quiet in any sense thts the issue I have with the initial comment. The great games have still been coming and thy will end with TLOU 2, just released Death Stranding, Ghost of T on the horizon, they acquired Insomniac, building guerilla bigger, doubling down on Psnow, started the next Gen info with the wired articles,etcccc

Wth have thy been quiet? Almost every single thing micro has done has been in reaction to all the things Sony has been doing right.

Again this is Bizarro world type shit or just super trolling.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned

Services perspective they are in the lead? What gamepass? Lol Wow tht really is news to me lol and not to mention Microsoft continuously hiding more and more numbers bcus their games services aren't pulling what you may think thy are (not talking about live). Sony again stomped them in revenue and profit last fiscal and have been doing it all gen.

What world do some ppl live in lol.

Are you expecting more on PS4 or wanting to hear about games coming to the PS5?
I'm generally waiting on any sort of games sony is working on, period. Specifically though, I am waiting on anything that may tempt me to buy a ps5. I already have psvr and am considering it for that alone, but op is right. Sony have a lot to prove to me before I buy their next console.

The other thing I am waiting on is confirmation that ALL ps4 games are bc on ps5. Sony said it would and have now quietly backed away from that slightly, now saying A MAJORITY of games will be bc. Not good enough imo when they want me to invest in their infrastructure. I can just go to steam or microsoft and be GUARANTEED the ability to play my old games going forward.

Soooo, currently I'm waiting for sony to announce new games as well as state they 100% are going backwards compatibility for ps5 so I can even continue buying OLD games for ps4. Basically, I am insecure in Sony not fucking me for more cash because they saw how profitable remasters were this gen when it comes to bc.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I'm generally waiting on any sort of games sony is working on, period. Specifically though, I am waiting on anything that may tempt me to buy a ps5. I already have psvr and am considering it for that alone, but op is right. Sony have a lot to prove to me before I buy their next console.

The other thing I am waiting on is confirmation that ALL ps4 games are bc on ps5. Sony said it would and have now quietly backed away from that slightly, now saying A MAJORITY of games will be bc. Not good enough imo when they want me to invest in their infrastructure. I can just go to steam or microsoft and be GUARANTEED the ability to play my old games going forward.

Soooo, currently I'm waiting for sony to announce new games as well as state they 100% are going backwards compatibility for ps5 so I can even continue buying OLD games for ps4. Basically, I am insecure in Sony not fucking me for more cash because they saw how profitable remasters were this gen when it comes to bc.

Lol you're really reaching here.

Sony hasn't been quiet in any sense thts the issue I have with the initial comment. The great games have still been coming and thy will end with TLOU 2, just released Death Stranding, Ghost of T on the horizon, they acquired Insomniac, building guerilla bigger, doubling down on Psnow, started the next Gen info with the wired articles,etcccc

Wth have thy been quiet? Almost every single thing micro has done has been in reaction to all the things Sony has been doing right.

Again this is Bizarro world tyoe shit or just super trolling.

Game Pass is nothing to do with Sony. Drastically increasing your world wide studios isn't exactly a reaction but a catch up. Microsoft very quickly sorted out the hardware and is the only console with a 4K blu ray drive. xCloud is a response to Google, not to Sony. Honestly, PS Now existed for a long time but I don't even think Sony really cared that much until Google got involved, as have the mumblings of Apple and Amazon entering the foray. Microsoft being open to cross play ironically was Sony's position last generation. Sony actually had to pull a 180 from open platform, to closed platform, to open. Not a great look.

But you've perfectly surmised my point. Microsoft are talking about now and the future. We have The Last of Us Part II which was announced in 2016. Ghost of Tsushima which was announced in 2017. Both excellent looking games. But, is that it? Sony aren't even using all their studios to their full potential. This is why expansion and growth is key but acquiring one studio doesn't compare to the acquisitions Microsoft are making and likely still making behind closed doors. Doubling down on PS Now is a reaction to Google and other competitors as I said, not Microsoft. TLOUP2 was delayed and inevitably put back GoT which we don't have a release date for by the way. Guerilla has been growing since Killzone Shadow Fall so I'd be more concerned if you said they weren't. Acquiring Insomniac is great but honestly it never felt like they weren't part of PlayStation anyway, so I don't understand how that's a big acquisition? Sony have passed on many other developers such as Super Massive, Ready at Dawn, Quantic Dream and others. All three of which are developing with agnostic platforms in mind.

As the other user said, if they don't at least improve their communications, Microsoft become a much bigger problem and that lead next generation will substantially be cut. Heres hoping 2020 is amazing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Game Pass is nothing to do with Sony. Drastically increasing your world wide studios isn't exactly a reaction but a catch up. Microsoft very quickly sorted out the hardware and is the only console with a 4K blu ray drive. xCloud is a response to Google, not to Sony. Honestly, PS Now existed for a long time but I don't even think Sony really cared that much until Google got involved, as have the mumblings of Apple and Amazon entering the foray. Microsoft being open to cross play ironically was Sony's position last generation. Sony actually had to pull a 180 from open platform, to closed platform, to open. Not a great look.

But you've perfectly surmised my point. Microsoft are talking about now and the future. We have The Last of Us Part II which was announced in 2016. Ghost of Tsushima which was announced in 2017. Both excellent looking games. But, is that it? Sony aren't even using all their studios to their full potential. This is why expansion and growth is key but acquiring one studio doesn't compare to the acquisitions Microsoft are making and likely still making behind closed doors. Doubling down on PS Now is a reaction to Google and other competitors as I said, not Microsoft. TLOUP2 was delayed and inevitably put back GoT which we don't have a release date for by the way. Guerilla has been growing since Killzone Shadow Fall so I'd be more concerned if you said they weren't. Acquiring Insomniac is great but honestly it never felt like they weren't part of PlayStation anyway, so I don't understand how that's a big acquisition? Sony have passed on many other developers such as Super Massive, Ready at Dawn, Quantic Dream and others. All three of which are developing with agnostic platforms in mind.

As the other user said, if they don't at least improve their communications, Microsoft become a much bigger problem and that lead next generation will substantially be cut. Heres hoping 2020 is amazing.
Don't forget Dreams. Announced in Feb 2013.

Lol you're really reaching here.
I'm reaching? For what? In what way?
This is genuinely how I feel and how I'm going to decide my purchase concerning the ps5.

Like, you make it seem like I want Sony to make me feel insecure about their services. Literally THIS GEN, they disallowed you access to ps1-3 purchases. Why? Because fuck you, that's why!!! Ps3, ok, but ps1 and 2 are really stupid and makes me distrust sonys loyalty to their own gaming pedigree.

Note this: I want Sony to succeed next gen. I dont want it to be just because of brand loyalty like apple "succeeds". I want them to actually get me excited for new games, just not excited for new hardware and right now, they havent given that to ANYONE.

No stretches needed for this opinion.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Have Sony done that many more remasters than their competition this gen? I don't think they have really.

The one thing that definitely isn't getting complacent are the Sony is doomed crowd.
It would be different if this was apple or disney we were talking about, ie, companies that havent ever really failed. Sony on the other hand was bleeding money last gen, not just in their video games division but company wide. If they didnt shape up last gen, they essentially WERE doomed.

I think most people just dont want to see them go back to old habits.

Have Sony done that many more remasters than their competition this gen? I don't think they have really.
The competition had remasters AND backwards compatibility. Essentially, if sony wants money for old games currently, they HAVE to remaster games and to play them, we'd all have to repurchase them.

How is that not intrinsically worse than the competition?
And if they do it again, it might piss a lot more people off, considering the install base of the ps4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom