• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 5: Kefin, Lost City of Sand (SNES) fan translation finally released

At long last, Aeon Genesis has released Ys 5's translation, which means that now every Ys game is available in English. Finally. It's been a very, very long time coming.

Ys 5 is fair bit different from the rest of the series in just about every way, and gameplay-wise, it probably has more in common with the Soul Blazer trilogy than Ys, but it's still a pretty fun game.

kKLeasa.gif

That sounds delicious.

pje122

As a note, this does *not* work on Ys V Expert. Only the standard version. The games are mechanically similar under the hood, but the data's been moved around enough that making it work with Expert would require applying each hack individually to Expert, starting from the ground up. This wouldn't be difficult, but it wouldn't be trivial either, and I'm frankly sick of starting at the game. Do you know that I was nervous about going to bed last night, fearing that someone was going to find some nasty game-breaking glitch in the patch despite how thoroughly we tested and that I wouldn't be able to fix it until the morning? This game crashes if you so much as look at it wrong.

If the game crashes after patching, you're either 1) patching Expert, don't do that, or 2) your ROM has a header, which can be removed using http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/608/ this.

Edit: Oh! Fun fact: the font, by the way, is actually from the SNES release of Ys 3: Wanderers from Ys.
Thank you for your effort.

So how are you all liking this one?

Just got the third (well second) crystal, and it's definitely OK, but yowza it feels slow as all get out. Forget Ys III, this may be the TRUE red headed stepchild of the series. It's not a bad ARPG of that era, but I am not getting the Ys feel from the combat at all.

Also, is magic ever worth it? It seems awful.

Psxphile

crossposting from a thread I made elsewhere

Waterfall area. Oh, the rage. I can't tell you how many times I fell into the water. And that last set of jumps... how cruel of the devs to place a chest there of all places, just out of reach and blinding you to the correct path around just below it.

The music hasn't wowed me or anything yet. Nothing 'The Boy's Got Wings' tier yet but perhaps I'm setting myself up for disappoint there by comparing Kefin to everything that came after.

So yeah, the platforming leaves a bit to be desired. Sometimes I forget that there's another route you can take by leaping up a hill but the graphics sometimes don't make it obvious that it's there. Like it blends in too easily. *shrugs*

Ah yes, the magic system. Where do I start? Let's begin with how you have to manually charge before you cast a spell. Okay, that's not *that* big a deal in and of itself, I'm sure there are plenty of other games in that era that did something similar. But the way Falcom implemented it in Ys V could have been better.

Once you learn your first spell you have to hold (or tap quickly) the R button until a numerical stat next to your HP and MP rises to its max at 100 points. Then, you press the attack button to unleash your spell. A bit cumbersome, to tell the truth. Why program the need to charge first? Just tap R to cast. Simple. Were they trying to clamp down on magic spamming? Isn't that what limited MP is for? Strange. What's even stranger is that spell casting not only depletes a set amount of MP, but it causes your charge to drop to a specific amount. So you're forced to charge again before you can cast another spell. So yes, it does seem like Falcom was trying to keep players from turbo-firing FusionBlasts. Thing is, casting FusionBlast only drops the charge meter to 90 points. A quick tap of the R button will bring it back up to 100, allowing you cast again. More work for the player, for basically the same payoff... lame. The "meter" itself is kinda lazy, too. They couldn't program a progress bar?

Then there's the magic spells themselves. Your first spell is a basic fireball-type deal. Quick and easy, all you have to do is aim. The rest can be made by combining any three types of various Elements you find along the way. Some of them, however, are just a waste of alchemy ingredients. My 2nd spell was Lava Flow (Water+Fire+Fire), a useless area of effect spell in a game where enemies are free to wander all around the map whilst you are casting. This spell only damages whatever is directly around Adol and only at the end of the casting period, a very small window to inflict harm. You're better off casting spells that affect everything onscreen at once, but even then enemies will occasionally just dart off-screen and escape before the spell finishes casting. Weak.

Of course, if you want Adol to be proficient in magic then you better use it often, since his magic aptitude is tied to his Magic Level. Magic Attack, Magic Defense and well as MP rises with your level. To gain experience towards your Magic Level you must kill enemies with a spell. Not really an issue, besides the facts that you don't gain any points towards your regular level and enemies don't leave behind drops when killed by magic (the gems they drop are your main source of income in Ys V). So it's a bit of a balancing act in regards to whether you should swing a sword or sling a spell.

This turned out longer than I anticipated. Despite my reservations I'm still enjoying the game. At least until the next gameplay quirk rears its head.

And so far, it's barely been necessary for anything. I think being able to shoot fireballs helped with exactly ONE boss. Also, in the most recent boss fights (I'm now in Kefin) I've noticed I can't charge my magic anyway. What's up with that?

Gideon Zhi

Neo Member
There are some skeleton monsters in the desert area outside of Felte that can only be permanently killed with holy magic, and increasing your spell level helps increase damage resistance to magic, I think. But no, it's not strictly necessary and, given that enemies don't drop loot gems if killed with magic, can be actually counterproductive.

pa22word

Lol this was a nice nod, and got a smirk out of me considering I just got through playing Memories of Celceta earlier today:

Oh, and I can also concur with everyone saying the magic system is pretty much shit >.>

Also that this game is like, braindead easy. I didn't think it was that overly easy and thought people were blowing it out of proportion until I discovered you could fill your entire lifebar back up in like 25 seconds of standing still (LOL), then yeah...I'm about ~3 hrs in atm. Anyone know how long this game is supposed to be? I wanna finish it just out of respect for the mod team who put so much work into it, but if it's like 20 hours long shit I may just move on and come back later if they decide to do Expert.

At long last, Aeon Genesis has released Ys 5's translation, which means that now every Ys game is available in English. Finally. It's been a very, very long time coming.

Ys 5 is fair bit different from the rest of the series in just about every way, and gameplay-wise, it probably has more in common with the Soul Blazer trilogy than Ys, but it's still a pretty fun game.

Zqfzovm.png
NwVcS8a.png
tvrFVaj.png

4VL9nvs.png
3IqIKgw.png
8i27THj.png

The patch is available at Aeon Genesis's Ys 5 page.

Wow, I was browsing this months ago and thought they gave up completely. This is awesome!

Psxphile

Oh yeah, I just realized that the reason I couldn't use magic during certain boss battles was because of the "do not use magic when near the crystals" rule that was established when Adol got his first spell. Forgot about that.

I am reminded of when MGS1 takes away your ability to wield firearms during a certain point because the plot demanded it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Oh wow, I've been waiting for years for this... this and the recently released Memories of Celceta are all I have left of the Ys series to beat. And I just got a Vita too...

Now when will Aeon Genesis finally finish the long-overdue Star Ocean: Blue Sphere translation :p

Psxphile

Finished. Story picked up once I was done collecting crystals. Regrettably, end boss was indeed a joke. Only reason it took more than 5 minutes to beat was because at first I didn't realize I would have to jump in order to damage it. Magic remained useless except for the purpose of leveling to raise your Magic Defense. My last save had me at Level 20 (Magic was Level 13). There's probably a level cap but I didn't care enough to reach it. Anyway, it was more than enough to just continue trading blows (chugging Heal Potions when HP dipped low enough) until victory was attained. I didn't even get to use the stronger stuff like the Celceta Medicine.

Kefin definitely needs a proper remake to salvage it's place in the franchise. I would prefer something more like Oath, Origins and Napishtim... but Seven/Celceta could work too. And maybe include more areas to explore.
Once you reach Kefin you're pretty much done with the regular overworld.

Back to Ys SEVEN for me.

pa22word

Finished. Story picked up once I was done collecting crystals. Regrettably, end boss was indeed a joke. Only reason it took more than 5 minutes to beat was because at first I didn't realize I would have to jump in order to damage it. Magic remained useless except for the purpose of leveling to raise your Magic Defense. My last save had me at Level 20 (Magic was Level 13). There's probably a level cap but I didn't care enough to reach it. Anyway, it was more than enough to just continue trading blows (chugging Heal Potions when HP dipped low enough) until victory was attained. I didn't even get to use the stronger stuff like the Celceta Medicine.

Kefin definitely needs a proper remake to salvage it's place in the franchise. I would prefer something more like Oath, Origins and Napishtim... but Seven/Celceta could work too. And maybe include more areas to explore.
Once you reach Kefin you're pretty much done with the regular overworld.

Back to Ys SEVEN for me.

I actually think the Celceta style is best suited for a remake of V, personally. The open environments mixed with the exploration is perfect for the "Zelda meets Ys" style of Ys V.

They weren't kidding when they said this game was easy. Kinda wishing that the "Expert" release was the one that got translated, but I am finding it to be a nice little action RPG. People who like stuff like Soulblazer and Illusion of Gaia owe it to themselves to give this one a shot. It's not great, but it sure takes me back to a simpler time.

Also, WTF at magic being pathetically worthless. I think I actually get annoyed whenever I collect an element.

jb1234

I've been on an Ys kick lately so I'm looking forward to starting this, even if it's not great. It can't be worse than Napishtim was. ;)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hmmm.... Should I go for it should I wait for the eventual remake on Vita? :p

Good thing I was able to hold out on Dawn of Ys and Mask of the Sun and get to play the actual Ys IV.

Aeana

Hmmm.... Should I go for it should I wait for the eventual remake on Vita? :p

Good thing I was able to hold out on Dawn of Ys and Mask of the Sun and get to play the actual Ys IV.
Ehhh, Ys Celceta is definitely not the "actual" Ys 4. It's some new thing that the current Falcom concocted, and has very little in common with the original plan if it was supposed to be close to Mask of the Sun. They are all very different games, but Celceta is even less like the other two. As such, the others are definitely worth playing.

Psxphile

Besides, you won't (de)appreciate the remake as much if you don't experience their first stab at it. :p

Ys III was pretty great even though it was a side-scroller, but Oath blows it away in pretty much every category. I mean goddamn.

Only thing wrong with Napishtim was that silly dash-jump mechanic. Oh, and it not being on Steam yet.

jb1234

Napishtim is such an incredibly better game in all aspects, by far.

Splendid. I mean, Napishtim was entertaining but the endless backtracking was maddening, along with a disappointing difficulty level (too easy after Oath, which I played just before it) and some really annoying dungeons.

pa22word

What's up with the Celceta negativity I'm sensing ITT? Sure it's not classic Ys by any means and the bosses are kinda bland on everything but Nightmare, but it's still a great game imo.

Jomjom

Banned
Damn a copy of this on Super Famicom complete and in mint condition is pretty pricey on eBay. Damn this OCD that doesn't allow me to buy a cartridge only copy.

pa22word

Damn a copy of this on Super Famicom complete and in mint condition is pretty pricey on eBay. Damn this OCD that doesn't allow me to buy a cartridge only copy.

Eh, if you must go that route I definitely suggest going after the expert version over standard if you can. Probably not any cheaper by any means, but if you're going to go all out like that then I uh can't imagine how upset you'll be with yourself for spending all that money on Ys V once you actually play the thing, and that's putting it very nicely >.>

That is unless you just have a load of dispensable income or something, lol.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So, while this thread is bumped... what did y'all think of Ys 5? Personally, I was rather disappointed. Played through it back last year, story wise it was pretty forgettable. Graphics weren't bad although the contrast was a bit muted compared to the other Ys games. The game was over much too quickly and I felt that a lot of elements didn't really get fleshed out as much as possible. The city of Kefin, when you finally get to it, seemed so tiny... I was expecting something like the Solomon Shrine when I got there. The whole part with Felte
being buried under the sand
was neat. Wandering the desert was not...

I'd love to see a remake on par with Felghana, though. One day, maybe...

I found it to be kinda mediocre and lacking in any real challenge at all besides a couple parts at the end. Although I did like the final areas in the game more than anything before. While not as big as Solomon Shrine, I thought it kinda neat. And yeah, color palette was really dull. Compared to something like Illusion of Gaia or Terranigma it's pretty bland. Probably my least favorite game in the series. And lol at the magic. Maybe if I could use it on bosses I would have cared. I ignored the heck out it once I realized how restricted it was.

I wish they fan-translated the "Expert" release instead. But now that I know the story I might do play that untranslated since I'd know where to go anyway.

pa22word

Lol wow, kinda surreal seeing posts you made nearly two years ago about a game you've essentially entirely forgotten playing...

I guess for the bump question I can sum up the game in one word for you: forgettable.

Mr. Necrobumper could've posted in the Ys community thread instead. :v
Lol wow, kinda surreal seeing posts you made nearly two years ago about a game you've essentially entirely forgotten playing...

I guess for the bump question I can sum up the game in one word for you: forgettable.

It is the worst Ys game for a reason. I just wish it'd receive a remake so that I can play it too. Only one I haven't played yet.

Top Bottom