• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Ark of Napishtim: PS2 or PSP?

The End

So, uh, the PSP version is out, but the reviews say basically "sprites are nice, but the PS2 version is more complete".

So, before it gets too hard to find, should I track down the PS2 version?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Everyone says PS2 as well. It's the version I own and flaws aside, I love. I plan on picking up the PSP game as well, before too long.

Johnas

Load times seem to be the main negative aspect of the PSP version, based on what I've read.

PS2 Ys is at a great price now, grab it, it's a good game.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
As a veteran of the PS2 version and a big fan of the series, I'm extremely disappointed by the PSP one... don't even bother (Yeah Mejilan I know you can't resist a Ys title either, but I already bit the bullet on this one :p) - the sprites are blurry and even less defined than the polygonal models in the PS2 ones, the backgrounds in the PSP version stink and have a washed out look, and not to mention the HORRIFFIC loading times. Like 15 seconds to load a big area, 5 or 6 seconds to load the interior of a hut in town. Ideally, the PC version is the way to go, but the PS2 version isn't a bad compromise. Just turn off the voice acting :p

The End

Ancestor said:
Load times seem to be the main negative aspect of the PSP version, based on what I've read.

PS2 Ys is at a great price now, grab it, it's a good game.

uh, it seems to have gotten somewhat rare, I see it for $40 everywhere online.

which means it's basically the same as the PSP version.

Also, let me just say, it needs to be in english, so no PC version.

Eric P

do NOT buy the psp version

i have it and the load times are annoying, the graphics in larger areas get choppy as hell, the loading in submenus is horrific (like say you open your inventory and you switch from one item to another, there's a load time, sure it's just a second, but that adds up), the choppiness in the larger areas makes the platforming hard because you can't really gage where you're going to land...

it's just a horrible horrible mess.

but it's 1000000000 times better than kingdom of paradise

Johnas

The End said:
uh, it seems to have gotten somewhat rare, I see it for $40 everywhere online.

which means it's basically the same as the PSP version.

Also, let me just say, it needs to be in english, so no PC version.

Really? I wasn't aware of that. Last time I saw one it was for $19.99.

Mejilan

^^

Tales of Eternia (Euro import) is a fantastic RPG for the PSP. Port of a PSOne classic, however.

----

I know about the problems plaguing the PSP game, but I cannot resist.

Also, if you plan on the playing the game in English, the PC version really isn't a consideration.

I have Oath of Felghana (JP PC version), and yeah, it THRASHES Ys 6 (PC, PS2, PSP) handily, but PS2 Ys 6 IS still a worthy compromise, IMHO. (Though it has problems).

The End

as a corollary, any ideas on where to get it for less than $30, outpost.com seems to be the cheapest i see online.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Gantz said:
So are there any good rpgs for the PSP at all?

Legend of Heroes is decent, I've talked about this game before a couple of times... riddled with a poor translation, and a bit too fetch questy/repetitive in the outset... but still better than the rest of the PSP RPG library that isn't a port of a PSOne game.

Soul4ger

The PSP version is doable, but it's not worth it when you can get the PS2 version for the same price, or cheaper. The one poster is right - the load times, especially in the menus (where it loads every image of every item, and it takes a long time to do it), are incredibly annoying, and choppiness in larger areas is just lame. I don't know how they worked on the port for so long, and it turned out so unpolished, but oh well. That's Konami I guess.

Joeholley

The PC version trashes both the PSP and PS2 versions. Sadly, it's not available in English. It does, however, play fine on English versions of Windows XP. If you can handle using a FAQ to figure out where to go after you complete each dungeon, I'd recommend the PC version.

jarrod

Banned
Joeholley said:
The PC version trashes both the PSP and PS2 versions. Sadly, it's not available in English. It does, however, play fine on English versions of Windows XP. If you can handle using a FAQ to figure out where to go after you complete each dungeon, I'd recommend the PC version.
Falcom should really consider releasing "International" versions of their games with english subtitles included. I bet they'd do pretty good business, seems like something both the national and foreign markets would buy.

Borys

Banned
Joeholley said:

There is an illegal fan translation IIRC.

ethelred

djtiesto said:
Legend of Heroes is decent, I've talked about this game before a couple of times... riddled with a poor translation, and a bit too fetch questy/repetitive in the outset... but still better than the rest of the PSP RPG library that isn't a port of a PSOne game.

Legend of Heroes is subpar at the very best -- it only looks "decent" in comparison to its competition (shit like PoPoLoCrois and Kingdom of Paradise). :p

Really, the only worthwhile ones right now (in English) are Tales of Eternia and (kinda-sorta) X-Men Legends II. I am really hoping for an English release of Monster Kingdom in order to change all of that.

Soul4ger

Except the PC version, to my knowledge, isn't very readily available for retail anywhere for people who live in North America or Europe. So stop being stupid, and stop suggesting it.

Mejilan

Picked up the PSP version about 2 weeks ago, and today I finally had the time to try and figure out how to fucking break it enough to run on a 1.5 PSP.

6 hours later... success, finally.

I have some thoughts:

- Chibi sprites are back! No more shitty 3D models from the PS2 game!
- Like the PS2 version, the blood, gore, and chunks from the PC game are gone.
- PSP has shitty speakers! The OST has had a constant spot on my iPod for over 2 years now, so while it's nice to hear it in-game again, headphones are a MUST. Ugh.
- Kickass anime intro with kickass music, woo!
- WTF at the hideous background graphics and stuttery framerate. The PS2 version was already a huge downgrade in both categories from the PC game, but the PSP version looks even worse!
- Apparently, the hoop-jumping I had to go through in order to get the game to run on a 1.5 also worked wonders in significantly cutting down on the PSP version's horrible loads.
- Dunno if it's my PSP D-pad upgrade/mod or changed timing, but the dash attack and dash jump seem much easier to do than they were on the PS2 game.
- Portable Ys! Woo!

Top Bottom