• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta |OT|

I need to know, is Dawn of Ys in the game? I LOVE that song and would be heartbroken if it were not around. Also, is there a new Theme of Adol (outside of the music box) and Sanctuary of the Sun?

I have a Vita in the mail and am seriously debating importing this bad boy (Vita carts aren't region locked right?) but I wonder if I can still find a LE copy.

Aeana

I need to know, is Dawn of Ys in the game? I LOVE that song and would be heartbroken if it were not around. Also, is there a new Theme of Adol (outside of the music box) and Sanctuary of the Sun?

I have a Vita in the mail and am seriously debating importing this bad boy (Vita carts aren't region locked right?) but I wonder if I can still find a LE copy.
Yes. It's used as a field theme, oddly enough. Look up table mountain on YT if you're curious.

Varion

Yes.
No..
No, amazingly.

billsmugs

Sorry if it has already been asked, but what is the story like (in terms of quality and quantity) compared to Ys 7? I know some people weren't fans of Seven's story, saying it was clichéd and boring but I thought it was great and enjoyed the twists and turns. Is it as much of a focus in Celceta?

Also, does it have more than one town? I'd got the impression from some information a while back that there might be just one hub town, rather than the many (varied & distinct) towns in Seven.

Finally, the "Flash Dodge" and "Flash Guard" moves shown in the trailer: from what people were saying, they were in Ys 7 in some form? If so, were they explained (and how did you execute them)? I never used them and don't recall having them explained but they would have made some of the bosses a bit easier!

Roubjon

Sorry if it has already been asked, but what is the story like (in terms of quality and quantity) compared to Ys 7? I know some people weren't fans of Seven's story, saying it was clichéd and boring but I thought it was great and enjoyed the twists and turns. Is it as much of a focus in Celceta?

Also, does it have more than one town? I'd got the impression from some information a while back that there might be just one hub town, rather than the many (varied & distinct) towns in Seven.

Finally, the "Flash Dodge" and "Flash Guard" moves shown in the trailer: from what people were saying, they were in Ys 7 in some form? If so, were they explained (and how did you execute them)? I never used them and don't recall having them explained but they would have made some of the bosses a bit easier!

In Ys Seven there was a parry mechanic called flash guarding, where I think hitting L and R together before getting hit by an attack causes you to take no damage and build up this critical hit meter so you do massive damage afterward. If you really understood the boss' attack patterns, you could basically just stand in front of its face the whole time and beat the crap out of it if you flash guarded correctly.

Varion

It's less of a focus than in 7. Still fairly good, not going to win any plot twist awards but it was solid and enjoyable without distracting from the gameplay. I enjoyed 7's too, for what it's worth.

There's plenty of varied and distinct towns, definitely not just the one.

And Roubjon answered the third question so I'll leave that.

In Ys Seven there was a parry mechanic called flash guarding, where I think hitting L and R together before getting hit by an attack causes you to take no damage and build up this critical hit meter so you do massive damage afterward. If you really understood the boss' attack patterns, you could basically just stand in front of its face the whole time and beat the crap out of it if you flash guarded correctly.

I didn't know what flash guarding was for the longest time and I don't know if it was ever explained in the game, but then again I've been on the same play-through for a long time... People kept mentioning flash guarding in threads and I finally tried it out last night. That would have been helpful a long time ago!

And it's not mentioned in the in game instructions / tips. Weird.

Aeana

I finally finished it. It took me about 20 hours.

Overall, it was quite good. I think it accomplishes absolutely everything Ys 7 set out to do in a better way. In terms of gameplay and stuff, my complaints are fairly minor. I think the map design is done in such a way to deliberately make people like me uncomfortable/anxious, because there are so many branching paths that I'm really worried about missing stuff. Most of the time in the game was probably spent backtracking to make sure I'm not taking the "right" path that leads toward progressing the story.

As an Ys 4 game, though, I'm less positive about it. It takes many concepts from Dawn of Ys and Mask of the Sun and uses them kind of half-heartedly, to the point that the game kind of feels like it's just got an Ys 4 skin on top of it "just because." They've taken characters that we got to know years and years ago and made them completely different just to fit this new vision, which just didn't sit right with me. I think this game goes even further with that than Lufia DS did. It makes you think, "why did you even bother to relate this to Ys 4?" and that's not the feeling I wanted to have about the game. : For years, I dreamt of finally seeing Falcom's version of Ys 4, but I highly doubt that this was it.

Still, though, as I said, it's a good game, and perhaps if you go into it not thinking it's an Ys 4 remake or anything like that, it'll be easier to get past that. Or if you never played the other Ys 4 games at all.

Bebpo

Banned
I need help. Stuck for some reason early on. I'm trying to make it to my first blue map point and I've done all the sidequests and it seems like I've explored all the areas outside the starting city but I seem to be blocked from progressing by:

-to the west directly toward the first blue point there's a swaying 3d tree branch on a slightly higher ground that I can't reach or seem to effect.

-to the north there's a waterfall cave that leads to an open boss fight looking area where there's nothing.

-to the northwest there are areas blocked by big rocks.

Not sure what I'm missing unless you need to be during certain times of day to progress and I was there in the wrong time of day. Can anyone help me out.

So far after like 2 hours I'm enjoying it, but less than expected. It seems too much like Ys Seven (which I enjoyed, but recognized was weaker and more "lots of worthless loot and jokingly easy enemies as you go over bland open areas" than "awesome dungeon arpg" that Oath/Origin were), but instead of feeling like a progression from Seven it feels inferior at the start. The setting and story seem less interesting, the cast as well, and the combat doesn't feel as fresh since at least Ys Seven was kind of new style of exciting party changing combat and now it's not so exciting.

Also the sub-native res thing really annoys me in Vita games. Game looks so blurry and bloomy. I honestly prefer how Ys Seven looked on PSP over this visually. The music doesn't seem as good either. Ys Seven had a lot of amazing tracks imo.

But it's still kind of fun and hopefully when the challenge picks up and I get a 3rd character it'll get more engaging.

Bebpo

Banned
I reaaaally don't know how I feel about this game. I just passed the first mini-boss (big hornet thing) at around 4 hours in and the difficulty is a joke. The is the easiest Ys I've ever played and it takes no effort it's just mash mash mash, switch characters, mash mash mash.

I remember playing Ys Seven and even that first boss in the cave was like YOU BETTER LEARN JUST DEFENSE OR YOU DIE. And though the overworld stuff was all mash mash mash, the bosses would kill your ass if you didn't learn their patterns, just guard or get out of the way.

Here in YsIVr, there isn't even that level of challenge. You say "well you're only 4 hours in", but 4 hours is a lot of time to be mindless and boring.

Meanwhile, as much as I love Falcom to death, they have some of the worst story/gameplay pacing ever. Why are the stories in the Kiseki games so interesting and engaging while the gameplay is slow and zzz for a lot of it meanwhile why does every story section in a Ys game take like FORTY FIVE MINS and be incredibly boring and you just want to get back to the action? Can't they find a balance where you're enjoying both the gameplay and the storyline and neither interrupts the other for too long (note I still haven't played Nayuki, maybe that will do it).

The story is boresville so far in this game and yet the game seems divided up between overworld map filling/exploration while mash mash mash no threat enemies & story events that are zzz and go on for way too long. Then once in a while you actually get a tight dungeon or boss thrown at you. Just seems really weak pacing and the least engaging Ys game I've yet to play.

I've never been negative on the series before as I came in at Oath on the Japanese release and every entry has continued to impress following it. But at this point I'm half playing the game because it's sort of mindless fun, but I'm half wondering why I'm wasting my time when I could be using this time to play a game that has a great story & great challenging combat. If I wanted to play mash mash mash rpg I'd at least get back to playing Tales of Xillia since you get an enjoyable story alongside the dull combat.

Aru

I finally finished it. It took me about 20 hours.

Overall, it was quite good. I think it accomplishes absolutely everything Ys 7 set out to do in a better way. In terms of gameplay and stuff, my complaints are fairly minor. I think the map design is done in such a way to deliberately make people like me uncomfortable/anxious, because there are so many branching paths that I'm really worried about missing stuff. Most of the time in the game was probably spent backtracking to make sure I'm not taking the "right" path that leads toward progressing the story.

As an Ys 4 game, though, I'm less positive about it. It takes many concepts from Dawn of Ys and Mask of the Sun and uses them kind of half-heartedly, to the point that the game kind of feels like it's just got an Ys 4 skin on top of it "just because." They've taken characters that we got to know years and years ago and made them completely different just to fit this new vision, which just didn't sit right with me. I think this game goes even further with that than Lufia DS did. It makes you think, "why did you even bother to relate this to Ys 4?" and that's not the feeling I wanted to have about the game. : For years, I dreamt of finally seeing Falcom's version of Ys 4, but I highly doubt that this was it.

Still, though, as I said, it's a good game, and perhaps if you go into it not thinking it's an Ys 4 remake or anything like that, it'll be easier to get past that. Or if you never played the other Ys 4 games at all.

I've never played any of the Ys 4 games. I'm currently playing Seven on normal difficulty, but I find it kinda easy most of the time. I'm not a big fan of the new gameplay elements. So you say those are implemented in a better way in FO ?
Is the game as challenging as Ys 1, 2 or Felghana in normal difficulty ? I think that Napishtim and Seven are really easy compared to those. I'm not looking for a crazy hard game, I just think the first three had a good enough/fair challenge.

I reaaaally don't know how I feel about this game. I just passed the first mini-boss (big hornet thing) at around 4 hours in and the difficulty is a joke. The is the easiest Ys I've ever played and it takes no effort it's just mash mash mash, switch characters, mash mash mash.

I remember playing Ys Seven and even that first boss in the cave was like YOU BETTER LEARN JUST DEFENSE OR YOU DIE. And though the overworld stuff was all mash mash mash, the bosses would kill your ass if you didn't learn their patterns, just guard or get out of the way.

Here in YsIVr, there isn't even that level of challenge. You say "well you're only 4 hours in", but 4 hours is a lot of time to be mindless and boring.

Meanwhile, as much as I love Falcom to death, they have some of the worst story/gameplay pacing ever. Why are the stories in the Kiseki games so interesting and engaging while the gameplay is slow and zzz for a lot of it meanwhile why does every story section in a Ys game take like FORTY FIVE MINS and be incredibly boring and you just want to get back to the action? Can't they find a balance where you're enjoying both the gameplay and the storyline and neither interrupts the other for too long (note I still haven't played Nayuki, maybe that will do it).

The story is boresville so far in this game and yet the game seems divided up between overworld map filling/exploration while mash mash mash no threat enemies & story events that are zzz and go on for way too long. Then once in a while you actually get a tight dungeon or boss thrown at you. Just seems really weak pacing and the least engaging Ys game I've yet to play.

I've never been negative on the series before as I came in at Oath on the Japanese release and every entry has continued to impress following it. But at this point I'm half playing the game because it's sort of mindless fun, but I'm half wondering why I'm wasting my time when I could be using this time to play a game that has a great story & great challenging combat. If I wanted to play mash mash mash rpg I'd at least get back to playing Tales of Xillia since you get an enjoyable story alongside the dull combat.

The first boss in Ys Seven was kinda challenging because you only have 2 characters and few healing items. I'm in the
Ruins Island
and all the bosses after the first and until that point are easy. Just switch characters when you are low on HP or something, evade a lot and if you have Aisha, just use her and mash charged attack + skills.
You say Ys FO is easier ? Damn it :/
I liked the challenge in Ys 1, 2 and Felghana, but Naphistim and so far Seven are lacking in that department (in normal difficulty). Maybe I should play the next Ys in hard mode to enjoy it more, just as I do with every single KH entry since Days.

PKrockin

Yeah, you should have started on Hard if you were looking for any sort of challenge. A lot of people told me Seven was significantly easier than the other games. I started on Hard as my introduction to the series and am finding it a pretty good level of difficulty if slightly on the easy side.

hongcha

It gets harder.

Jonnyram

Yeah, 4 gets plenty tricky. I've just reached the Highlands now (great views on the way), and there are even regular field enemies which are tricky. Some of the boss fights have been mostly defense, with a few small opportunities to attack.

Varion

Is the platinum trophy hard to get in this?
Nah, there are a few fiddly and/or time consuming ones (hi find every harvest point in the game) but it's not hard as such. There's a trophy for beating Nightmare but you can do that on NG+ mode to make it much easier if it's too hard for you the first time. Needs a minimum of two playthroughs to get the all items trophy though.

Aeana

I definitely don't think this game is easier than Ys 7, purely because flash guard is so incredibly easy to pull off in that game, and it is considerably more difficult to do in this one due to tightened timing.

Dengeki did a "long interview" with Kondo now that the game has been out a little while.

Link is here: http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/549/549798/
Note that there are potential spoilers in the screenshots, and even more in the text. (No spoilers below)

Some interesting things:

-The next Ys game is already being worked on. There are those at Falcom who would like to see the jump button return to Ys. Dengeki themselves said they would love to see a mix of jump action with the party system of 7/Celceta. Kondo says that while it would be very difficult to balance, he is interested in giving it a shot.

-Falcom (somewhat jokingly) wants to get into the Guiness Book of World Records for making the most games in a series starring the same main character. Kondo says, laughing, that their biggest rival is probably Solid Snake and Metal Gear.

-After Ys Celceta came out, Falcom saw a huge boost in download sales of previous title Ys 7. They wanted to make an Ys game in Celceta that would be particularly welcoming to first-time Ys players, and feel that they accomplished that, and that the post-Celceta sales of Ys 7 are one of the reasons they feel they hit that goal.

-Falcom wants fan input regarding what they want to see in the next Ys game. They want Vita users to access the survey from the LiveArea of Ys Celceta to give input.

-Kondo said while learning the Vita there were some troubles but that it was pretty smooth. He said that he is happy that they are getting closer and closer to making characters who realize their vision. He said that while originally they had thought they might port older games to the Vita first (as companies often do on new hardware), he thought it might be a better challenge to make a new game in Celceta instead.

hongcha

I just beat the game, it took me about 24 hours but I spent my time exploring every nook and cranny. Overall I quite enjoyed it, but I think I still like Ys Seven the best. I felt Celceta was at times too expansive for its own good. I've played and completed all the Ys on the psp, but Ys Seven remains my favorite. I think I like the characters in Celceta better, though.

Also, I have to say the ending was quite nice!
Anyone know what carries over in the New Game +? I'm not going to start on it any time soon.

I am pretty confident this game will be localized abroad. It's so much better than the other Vita "action rpg" stuff like Ragnarok Odyssey (ugh) that's gotten localized.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
-The next Ys game is already being worked on. There are those at Falcom who would like to see the jump button return to Ys.

Yes, jumping! Not surprised the next game is already in progress given how Falcom tends to work, but last we heard they hadn't even decided what the next game was going to be (Ys 8? Ys 5 remake?).

Dengeki themselves said they would love to see a mix of jump action with the party system of 7/Celceta. Kondo says that while it would be very difficult to balance, he is interested in giving it a shot.

Aw, party system. I still hope that's not exclusively the future of the series. The more we hear the more that seems to be the case though.

Jonnyram

Think I'm gonna platinum this. 100% most of the stuff on my first playthrough. Just got a couple of other trophies to nail in a second playthrough and I should be good, assuming the Insane difficulty doesn't get to me too much! My chars are all maxed though, so it should be doable. Besides, most enemies don't seem to stand a chance against lv3 Aura Fencer :D

Anyone know what carries over in the New Game +? I'm not going to start on it any time soon.
Everything except the important items. So make sure you use any sun stones you pick up before starting NG+

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Really really sorry if this has been addressed before in the thread, but as I'm going through this, do the dialogue options end up mattering in the long run, or are they there to expand on Adol's character a bit? (An aspect which I'm not disliking at all; this is a good thing)

Also, the map is so big.

I remember not liking how the game looked in screens, but it looks pretty darn nice on Vita in some spots. 'Cept the part where Adol gets knocked on the ground and he looks like he's floating above his shadow. Also the OP and I still don't mix well, but that's not the most important part of this. As of now, I'm having a better time with this than Seven, but we'll see if it lasts.

Aeana

Really really sorry if this has been addressed before in the thread, but as I'm going through this, do the dialogue options end up mattering in the long run, or are they there to expand on Adol's character a bit? (An aspect which I'm not disliking at all; this is a good thing)

Also, the map is so big.

I remember not liking how the game looked in screens, but it looks pretty darn nice on Vita in some spots. 'Cept the part where Adol gets knocked on the ground and he looks like he's floating above his shadow. Also the OP and I still don't mix well, but that's not the most important part of this. As of now, I'm having a better time with this than Seven, but we'll see if it lasts.

They don't really matter at all.

Jonnyram

Yeah, flash guards just rarely seem to happen naturally. I had to practice against a couple of specific enemy types and just spam them to get the trophy. I would get flash moves quite often though, especially on Nightmare level.

I finally platinumed the game yesterday, just in time for the release of the OST. I had about 55 hrs on the clock in total. The first playthrough took me close to 40 hours, and I maxed all my chars out by the end of it (but I did manage to beat the optional boss, which was a real beast). Really awesome introduction to the Ys series for me. I'm gonna try either Felghana or 7 next, I think. I fancy giving Zero Evolution a try before that, though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any confirmation of a US release?

No, but Falcom has said they want to get it out in the west, and XSEED has said they want to work on it. Unless the Vita's piss poor sales scare them off before they get to it, we'll probably see it next year.

Think I'm gonna platinum this. 100% most of the stuff on my first playthrough. Just got a couple of other trophies to nail in a second playthrough and I should be good, assuming the Insane difficulty doesn't get to me too much! My chars are all maxed though, so it should be doable. Besides, most enemies don't seem to stand a chance against lv3 Aura Fencer :D

Everything except the important items. So make sure you use any sun stones you pick up before starting NG+

Uh oh. I think I screwed up.

Fularu

Banned
I'll be getting a Vita once the NA version hits. I've heard prety good things about this game (I own and played both SFC and SCD versions) so I can't wait to try out Falcom's vision for Ys IV :)

Bebpo

Banned
Finished up the 2nd dungeon and what I'm assuming is the first half of the game (map is a little under 50% now). Still a very boring game outside the boss of each dungeon which are solid boss fights and the highlights for sure.

I'm pretty much just speedrunning it at this point, rolling across the maps, skipping most of the dialogue since the story/writing/characters all seem completely uninteresting, and not bothering with the quests really. The game just seems so dull for an arpg I want to get it over as fast as I can or at least get to the tougher parts. The first two dungeon designs were quite boring and the overworld is incredibly boring and way too big. Traversing around, dungeon design, combat, characters, music, graphics, and story just feel so much worse than Ys Seven so far.

It just seems like one of those Japanese games that's been so dumbed down in a musou way that it's just dull to play. Feels like a waste of time playing it tbh. Waiting for that 2nd half where the difficult picks up and hopefully you get to pick your party members.

In a way the game reminds me of FFXIII, where it felt like it was handholding and boring and it wasn't until like 20 hours in when it really became a game. Hopefully this does not take 20 hours, but at 7 hours-ish that's already criminally long for being non-game-y.

I kind of feel like I'm done trusting any rpg that comes out of Japan at this point if it's not made by Atlus internal or From Soft Souls team. All the other rpg companies don't seem like they know how to make good games anymore. It's like they're just not putting in much effort. It's all filler and padding and no challenge which makes for boring boring games :( Or maybe I'm just over Japanese rpgs at this point. I got bored of Xillia and shelved it, got bored of FFXIII-2 and shelved it, got bored of Crimson Shroud and shelved it, if Celceta wasn't so short I'd probably shelve it at this point. Devil Survivor 2 was probably the last good rpg I've played from the east. Kingdom Hearts 3D was ok too, just not great; but at least it wasn't boring.

Finished up the 2nd dungeon and what I'm assuming is the first half of the game (map is a little under 50% now). Still a very boring game outside the boss of each dungeon which are solid boss fights and the highlights for sure.

I'm pretty much just speedrunning it at this point, rolling across the maps, skipping most of the dialogue since the story/writing/characters all seem completely uninteresting, and not bothering with the quests really. The game just seems so dull for an arpg I want to get it over as fast as I can or at least get to the tougher parts. The first two dungeon designs were quite boring and the overworld is incredibly boring and way too big. Traversing around, dungeon design, combat, characters, music, graphics, and story just feel so much worse than Ys Seven so far.

It just seems like one of those Japanese games that's been so dumbed down in a musou way that it's just dull to play. Feels like a waste of time playing it tbh. Waiting for that 2nd half where the difficult picks up and hopefully you get to pick your party members.

In a way the game reminds me of FFXIII, where it felt like it was handholding and boring and it wasn't until like 20 hours in when it really became a game. Hopefully this does not take 20 hours, but at 7 hours-ish that's already criminally long for being non-game-y.

I kind of feel like I'm done trusting any rpg that comes out of Japan at this point if it's not made by Atlus internal or From Soft Souls team. All the other rpg companies don't seem like they know how to make good games anymore. It's like they're just not putting in much effort. It's all filler and padding and no challenge which makes for boring boring games :( Or maybe I'm just over Japanese rpgs at this point. I got bored of Xillia and shelved it, got bored of FFXIII-2 and shelved it, got bored of Crimson Shroud and shelved it, if Celceta wasn't so short I'd probably shelve it at this point. Devil Survivor 2 was probably the last good rpg I've played from the east. Kingdom Hearts 3D was ok too, just not great; but at least it wasn't boring.

I think it's most companies are padding games.
I haven't been playing as much as watching streams of the newer games, just to see if anything new or interesting is being added to the newer games, and I feel like most games are padded with fillers just to lengthen the game.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Oh no not you too Bebpuuuu~~~ :(

Jonnyram

For Celceta, I don't think the story is super solid. It picks up a bit near the end, but the main thing that's driving you forward is trying to figure out why you lost your memory. If you're not digging that, it's probably hard to get into the game.

After two dungeons, you are NOT halfway through the game. The first 50% of the map is quite sparse in terms of story and dungeon. Once you cross the great water in the middle of the map, things pick up quite a bit. It was my first Ys game, so I was enjoying the gameplay more than you, perhaps, but that first 50% of the map was definitely a weird pacing issue, I think. Also, as you mentioned previously, it was pretty easy to get lost and not know how to progress next, partly because those two forest areas that you need to go through are SO DAMNED SIMILAR, so when you get to the second one, you mistakenly think you've already done it, and end up running around in circles. This even happened to me on my second playthrough! Apart from that little quibble, I think it's a great game.

Also, ffs, it's too late now, but if you're gonna complain about it being too easy, you should have put the difficulty up. Especially since you seem quite used to Ys games, why did you not start on Hard?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finally got a chance to try the demo. I quite liked it, but I also feel a little bit disappointed. Fighting in the water felt very imprecise and the AI is annoying. Especially in that boss fight they always got eaten when I played on Nightmare, it seemed like I had to retreat about 10 seconds before the boss attacked so that he doesn't get them.
But most importantly: the demo was very easy. Of course, I can't really tell if you're just overpowered. But it seems this is one game (like Ys Seven) that you should start on Nightmare the first time you're playing. Also: Can you really hold 10 of each item when playing on Nightmare?

It still seems like a great game, so XSeed please get to it.

Varion

Finally got a chance to try the demo. I quite liked it, but I also feel a little bit disappointed. Fighting in the water felt very imprecise and the AI is annoying. Especially in that boss fight they always got eaten when I played on Nightmare, it seemed like I had to retreat about 10 seconds before the boss attacked so that he doesn't get them.
But most importantly: the demo was very easy. Of course, I can't really tell if you're just overpowered. But it seems this is one game (like Ys Seven) that you should start on Nightmare the first time you're playing. Also: Can you really hold 10 of each item when playing on Nightmare?

It still seems like a great game, so XSeed please get to it.
If that's the area I'm thinking of, no at that point it really is just easy. The more challenging bosses come after that. The AI isn't really a problem in the full version either, that boss is the only time the AI can 'die' without you controlling them, in every other situation much like in Ys Seven they can only get reduced to 1HP if you're not controlling them.

No idea about the items because I refused to use them. The game's a pretty satisfying challenge if you play on nightmare without any items, any less than I can't see it giving experienced Ys players any trouble at all.

Bebpo

Banned
About 11 hours in now and the game is definitely a lot better in the 2nd half when the difficulty picks up (you actually have to [or should] flash guard/flash move normal enemy attacks!) and you have full control of a large party to make your own team. Gameplay still doesn't seem as interesting or well designed as Ys Seven, and the story is still kind of slow and boring.

Tower dungeon was pretty solid outside all the unskippable cutscenes whenever you activate any switch, which takes you out of the action and the mid-boss who was seriously broken as hell in hit detection on his attacks and the worst boss I've fought across Oath/Seven/Origins/Celceta. Hopefully the game keeps improving from this point out.

Bebpo

Banned
Wow, the final dungeon in this game is ridiculously good. One of the most fun final dungeons I've played in an rpg (usually final dungeons are just freaking annoying).

Lengthy dungeon with interesting sections = check
Fun normal enemies that have a bit of a challenge = check
Awesome treasures everywhere = check
Lots of tough mini-bosses that require you to actually play well = check
Great music = check
Great visual/art design = check

I wish the whole game had been like this. Even at the end now, I still kind of think the game is very average at best and the worst Ys I've played. The last few dungeons are all pretty good, but the first 2/3rds of the dungeons suck and are boring designs with boring enemies and none of the bosses stand up to something like Origins or even most of Ys Seven bosses. The camera seems way worse than any other Ys in certain boss battles and the hit detection/timing seems REALLY OFF on a whole bunch of bosses' attacks.

The story sucks and the characters are all forgettable generic cast. What works is the cool skills, the general combat, and the music. But the whole run around lots of overworld "always picking up hundreds of pieces of loot every step so you have a million inventory items that you combine and merge with accessories/weapons" gameplay that Seven and Celceta have is very much not my cup of tea compared to the no-nonsense straight up action of Oath & Origins.

Also, I'm at 99.1% map. Not sure where I'm missing the final room or two >_< Did about half the sidequests, they were generally really boring and generic "go kill this, or bring me x number of y"; wasn't worth bothering. Around 17 hours now and about to face the final boss. I don't hate the game but the last 5 hours have been pretty fun and about as fun as Ys Seven, but the first 2/3rds of the game are a way shittier version of Ys Seven imo.

Hopefully the next Ys won't be a remake. I think it constrains them too much, especially if they want to make it story focused on the original has a 1990s thin and generic anime plot & characters.

Top Bottom