• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta |OT|

Aeana

Hopefully the next Ys won't be a remake. I think it constrains them too much, especially if they want to make it story focused on the original has a 1990s thin and generic anime plot & characters.

This wasn't a remake, anyway, though.
I really don't think Falcom was constrained at all with this game - it bares little resemblance to either Ys 4 game before it.

Bebpo

Banned
How is not a remake? I'm not familiar with the original versions by other devs but I'm assuming the cast, story, world was the same and maybe even some of the bosses, dungeons, areas.

Jonnyram

How is not a remake? I'm not familiar with the original versions by other devs but I'm assuming the cast, story, world was the same and maybe even some of the bosses, dungeons, areas.
All three versions of Ys IV have different stories apparently. Sure they have some locations and plot in common, but fundamentally different.

Aeana

They all have different stories and the characters do different things, too. Ys Celceta in particular even has fewer locations in common aside from the towns.

The Ys 4 situation is really weird.

Bebpo

Banned
Finally got a chance to sit down and play this again and finish the final dungeon. Last boss was ok, I went and +50/60'd my final weapons and armor and party was basically invincible. Honestly, I don't see how anyone can say this wasn't 10x easier than Ys Seven when both are played on normal. You never have to grind and make weapons/upgrades at all in this one. I remember the final boss in Seven being pretty crazy and having to farm and make ultimate weapons for everyone.

Anyhow, overall didn't care for it. Like I said in my last post, the final dungeon rocked. I want an entire game of that. Good dungeon design, good enemies, good bosses, good puzzles, good music, good art. Unfortunately the rest of the game is super mediocre. Disappointing.

Link1110

Got my copy. Love it so far, but one thing I'm disappointed in is the quests. When I saw that bulliten board I expected a ton of them like Trails in the Sky, then there are only 4-7 per town :( would've been a fun timesink.

Listening to the soundtrack, I'm happy the Tower of Iris song is in there. That's probably the most underrated song in the entire Ys series. I miss the organ from the Mask of the Sun version, but its a great remix all the same.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
ys 7 has one of the best soundtracks i've heard in a game. I can't wait till it hits pc in america.

No PC version exists, maybe it will get ported by the Chinese company that did Ys Seven, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for that if I were you.

Edit: Unless you were referring to Ys Seven and not Celceta. In which case hopefully it doesn't have ridiculous terrible DRM like it did in China.

isual

I finally finished it. It took me about 20 hours.

Overall, it was quite good. I think it accomplishes absolutely everything Ys 7 set out to do in a better way. In terms of gameplay and stuff, my complaints are fairly minor. I think the map design is done in such a way to deliberately make people like me uncomfortable/anxious, because there are so many branching paths that I'm really worried about missing stuff. Most of the time in the game was probably spent backtracking to make sure I'm not taking the "right" path that leads toward progressing the story.

As an Ys 4 game, though, I'm less positive about it. It takes many concepts from Dawn of Ys and Mask of the Sun and uses them kind of half-heartedly, to the point that the game kind of feels like it's just got an Ys 4 skin on top of it "just because." They've taken characters that we got to know years and years ago and made them completely different just to fit this new vision, which just didn't sit right with me. I think this game goes even further with that than Lufia DS did. It makes you think, "why did you even bother to relate this to Ys 4?" and that's not the feeling I wanted to have about the game. : For years, I dreamt of finally seeing Falcom's version of Ys 4, but I highly doubt that this was it.

Still, though, as I said, it's a good game, and perhaps if you go into it not thinking it's an Ys 4 remake or anything like that, it'll be easier to get past that. Or if you never played the other Ys 4 games at all.

is there any replay value ? How about trophies ? I really need to justify a psvita purchase.

Volcynika

I'm waiting for the website to go up to make sure I have my info right. It apparently was supposed to be up sometime last week but that didn't happen. It'll go up in the next few days, I hope. No reviews or anything out yet anyways. D:

Looks like i am not getting the game from amazon on Release day Delivery. for my compensation i asked if i can get ACIV for ps4 or free and they said yes.

Volcynika

Tomorrow! Fortunately the US website is up, so I can gather the rest of the stuff I need there. But tomorrow! (Probably evening)

Tizoc

Can anyone confirm that the Asia/JP ver. of the game got an update that improved framerate etc.?

Top Bottom