• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys for Vita/PS4 Announced

First post!

I am a huge Ys fan, and have been one since Ys III for SNES. Unfortunately, I am not a big fan of the elimination of platforming that the series had been adding throughout the years. It makes games like Ys Seven and Ys Celceta really boring for me. I didn't mind it in the older Ys games because they are relatively short games where you're not running around for hours on end. In Celceta especially, you're just hours of running around not really doing anything. It's not fun at all.

The platforming was never perfect, but it added a good deal of exploration and different elements to the dungeons that the non-platforming titles really, really lacked.

I am hoping Ys for Vita/PS4 reintroduces the platforming into the series. Also, even though they'll probably not get rid of the party system, I really do not like it and would greatly prefer solo Adol again.

Blue-kun

Terra is a possibility, though of course considering Adol and Dogi are together in Ys VI, there's always a chance some walls might need to be broken somewhere along the ride in New Ys. It'd be neat if Dogi showed up near the end of the game to rescue Adol and joined the party then.

krYlon

Have u played Celceta? How do they compare?

Haha, I don't want to go on another rant, especially as others have also done and I know you like Celceta, so I'll just repost what I wrote earlier:

Yeah, basically what Chaosblade said. It's not really the AI.

I just think there has been a big change in philosophy within the Ys series since 7. The party system and the heavier focus on story, characters, item collecting etc has pushed the series further away from the no-nonsense, twitch, arcadey action games with platforming, interesting level design, items and equipment that were few but really mattered, and tough boss battles of the Ark engine games.

I think it's hard to pull all of that off with a party. The focus has changed to collecting, exploring and party management. The jumping is back and that's good, but I don't know how they're going to implement platforming exactly with the AI characters, the platforms would have to be pretty big, taking away precision. Maybe it will make the bosses more interesting, one can only hope.

Edit: Basically Oath is more of a metroidy action game with solo character control. Celceta is more of an rpg with party switching, much more story, npcs, collecting but no platforming and imo less interesting level design and boss battles.

Pyrrhus

Why do they keep putting Adol in silly looking clothes instead of his armor? That armor is awesome. Pauldrons for miles, stylish red gambeson, maybe a scarf or some gold accents for flair. What's not to like? Instead we strappy, overly-elaborate hoodies and vests and crap like that now. Hell, he doesn't even get to have a shield anymore. Do the kids not like shields these days? Red's going out dangerously unprepared if you ask me.

First post!

I am a huge Ys fan, and have been one since Ys III for SNES. Unfortunately, I am not a big fan of the elimination of platforming that the series had been adding throughout the years. It makes games like Ys Seven and Ys Celceta really boring for me. I didn't mind it in the older Ys games because they are relatively short games where you're not running around for hours on end. In Celceta especially, you're just hours of running around not really doing anything. It's not fun at all.

The platforming was never perfect, but it added a good deal of exploration and different elements to the dungeons that the non-platforming titles really, really lacked.

I am hoping Ys for Vita/PS4 reintroduces the platforming into the series. Also, even though they'll probably not get rid of the party system, I really do not like it and would greatly prefer solo Adol again.

Welcome to GAF fellow Ys fan! ^_^

I've been playing the series since TGCD 1&2, but gotta say that Celceta is the first game in the series that I haven't really dug that much (and V...but yeah). I like my Ys games short and sweet. Like VI, Origins, or Oath. I definitely agree with what you are saying. Seven and Celceta are probably going to be my least replayed games in the series simply because of the bloat.

Sophia

If Felghana is the magnum opus then why does Origin absolutely destroy it in virtually every area?

I agree that Origin does surpass Felghana in some aspects, actually. Particularly in regards to how some of the power ups are laid out. However I'm kinda biased towards Felghana due to nostalgia, as Ys 3 was the first Ys game I played. :p

That said, Felghana's locals easily surpass Origin. Not being cramped up in a tower the entire time helps.

Lucumo

It was about time the Ys fanbase reached a "I don't like the new games as much" split. Ys has finally become a full-grown franchise.

It's more like us old Ys fans don't like the new style while the new Ys fans who joined with Ys Seven are in because of the new style (they also talk about "waifus" and garbage like that, damn them).

It's more like us old Ys fans don't like the new style while the new Ys fans who joined with Ys Seven are in because of the new style (they also talk about "waifus" and garbage like that, damn them).

That's a terrible thing to say.

I like all 3 versions of Ys style. The "Bump Style Duology", the "Naphitism Style Trilogy" and the 2 games currently in the "Seven Style."

There's things I like from Naphitism style more than how Seven evolved the system, but there's also stuff in Seven that I liked in terms of where they're taking the series forward.

Are there times where I'm nostalgic for the older gameplay? Yes, but if I want a carbon copy of that, I can replay those old games anytime. I'm personally more excited to see how Falcom will take their current system to greater heights before the next 'style reboot.'

I'm sure the other 'old Ys fans' who bought the games during a Steam sale a few years ago feel the same.

Lucumo

Sorry, generalizations are often used to make a point more accessible. I, of course, know that not all the new fans or old fans are like this or that.

I'm sure the other 'old Ys fans' who bought the games during a Steam sale a few years ago feel the same.
Those are the new fans, considering Steam releases came after Ys Seven(and it was apparently just two years ago, just checked).

Psxphile

Terra is a possibility, though of course considering Adol and Dogi are together in Ys VI, there's always a chance some walls might need to be broken somewhere along the ride in New Ys. It'd be neat if Dogi showed up near the end of the game to rescue Adol and joined the party then.

CYBDWmy.jpg

Ys 6 prologue states that an older Terra and her pirate father Ladoc find Adol and Dogi together in the port town of Ediz, located in Ispani to the west of Romn. They're then saved from the Romun army who's looking for them and head for the Canaan Islands, the setting of Ys VI.

This new Ys could have Adol alone journeying north to this new region after Xandria, finding Dogi at some point along the way and then ending with them being on the run from Romn... if we go by previous canon. Unfortunately, it would mean no Terra-as-party-member. Unless they plan on retconning things.

The bit about "huge focus on the ocean" makes me believe Adol is trying to find more traces of the Eldeen civilization, like the sunken Atlas continent itself (Atlantis). Though I'm not entirely sure where it was said to be located.

jb1234

The balance in Ys has always been very skewed towards player level. If you're two levels below the target level, bosses will feel like an insane grind. If you're one level below, it's fairly challenging. If you're at the target level it's supposed to feel "just right", and if you're overleveled by even a single level, the fights can turn into total jokes. I kinda like that balance. Ys7 definitely pumped up the HP for bosses though, so even if you're strong and the fight is a bit of a joke, it's more time consuming. Another strike against it!

I played Ys VII on Hard and that was a big mistake. Unlike the prior games on higher difficulties, the bosses were less frustrating and just plain tedious.

DMiz

The balance in Ys has always been very skewed towards player level. If you're two levels below the target level, bosses will feel like an insane grind. If you're one level below, it's fairly challenging. If you're at the target level it's supposed to feel "just right", and if you're overleveled by even a single level, the fights can turn into total jokes. I kinda like that balance. Ys7 definitely pumped up the HP for bosses though, so even if you're strong and the fight is a bit of a joke, it's more time consuming. Another strike against it!

I've always liked it, too - it basically feels like a dynamic difficulty select system. You can either choose to go up for that rough tumble or, if you're sick of a boss and just want to move on, grind out a level and whip right through it.

I like both styles of games. Hell i even liked Ys Chronicles.

Ys is amazing in all iterations. Some people just can't be pleased.

Ys is the best franchise ever!!

Also, if you aren't constantly X-rolling in Ys 7 and MoC you are traversing wrong.

Blue-kun

Direct feed version of the trailer they've shown before, with some differences. This time around it's slightly longer, features a different cut of the music they used and has some extra information as keywords that are probably related to the setting where this one takes place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjBXXK_-sYk

Not sure, but judging by the way they show the "VIII" there with the character silhouettes flashing behind, I suppose this might actually be called Ys 8 after all? lol.

Tizoc

Direct feed version of the trailer they've shown before, with some differences. This time around it's slightly longer, features a different cut of the music they used and has some extra information as keywords that are probably related to the setting where this one takes place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjBXXK_-sYk

Not sure, but judging by the way they show the "VIII" there with the character silhouettes flashing behind, I suppose this might actually be called Ys 8 after all? lol.

Why wouldn't it be Ys 8?

Blue-kun

Why wouldn't it be Ys 8?

Because they've already said it's a story that takes place between V and VI, and so far (well, aside from IV which had the whole not developed by Falcom originally thing) the numbered entries have been following a chronological order.

The way they didn't just call it Ys8 right off the bat made me think they could've opted for another 'subtitle' like Oath in Felghana and Memories of Celceta for this one, saving the '8' for the story that will follow Altago, probably featuring a new system, too.

Of course, that was just me thinking too much and there's nothing really 'weird' about it possibly being called Ys8, though.

Tizoc

Because they've already said it's a story that takes place between V and VI, and so far (well, aside from IV which had the whole not developed by Falcom originally thing) the numbered entries have been following a chronological order.

The way they didn't just call it Ys8 right off the bat made me think they could've opted for another 'subtitle' like Oath in Felghana and Memories of Celceta for this one, saving the '8' for the story that will follow Altago, probably featuring a new system, too.

Of course, that was just me thinking too much and there's nothing really 'weird' about it possibly being called Ys8, though.

DMC3 took place before DMC1, Ys 4 (Celcta IIRC) took place between 2 and 3, MGS5 takes place before MGS1, Street Fighter 4 takes place before SF3, and this is to name a few.

A new numbered entry in a series doesn't have to take place after its predecessor.
Far as I care, Oath is Ys 3, Celcta is Ys 4.

Blue-kun

DMC3 took place before DMC1, Ys 4 (Celcta IIRC) took place between 2 and 3, MGS5 takes place before MGS1, Street Fighter 4 takes place before SF3, and this is to name a few.

A new numbered entry in a series doesn't have to take place after its predecessor.
Far as I care, Oath is Ys 3, Celcta is Ys 4.

Which is all fine and dandy, but all I did was an observation based off some random thoughts put together after watching the original teaser, which had no mention whatsoever of a 'VIII' in it. You know, don't you think it's weird that they'd announce a game they know is going to be called Ys8 and... not call it Ys8 on the trailer?

I guess it could just be an issue of not having a logo ready or something, though who really knows.

Psxphile

Seems like it's officially "Ys VIII" but they're not actually going to call it that. It'd probably sport a subtitle like every other recent Ys game, and the only reason they haven't given it the subtitle yet is because they're not ready to reveal it this early.

Tizoc

Seems like it's officially "Ys VIII" but they're not actually going to call it that. It'd probably sport a subtitle like every other recent Ys game, and the only reason they haven't given it the subtitle yet is because they're not ready to reveal it this early.

Or maybe it's so that newcomers/first timers won't get confused and worried over missing 7 Ys games ;)

I'm worried that we still don't have any new about YS 8 guys, sure there's still today and tomorrow, but it's already been one year!

I know falcom take their time, but if they don't show anything for TGS, then when? Is there some other event this year that falcom can take advantage of?

Tizoc

I'm worried that we still don't have any new about YS 8 guys, sure there's still today and tomorrow, but it's already been one year!

I know falcom take their time, but if they don't show anything for TGS, then when? Is there some other event this year that falcom can take advantage of?

They seemt o be focusing on Tokyo Xanadu for the time being, once that one's done they'll focus on Ys 8.

They seemt o be focusing on Tokyo Xanadu for the time being, once that one's done they'll focus on Ys 8.

sure but tokyo xanadu will be out in one week. and they already showed more than one project at TGS

do you think we'll get a trailer this week or should i better give up? I want to see new footage so much

Tizoc

sure but tokyo xanadu will be out in one week. and they already showed more than one project at TGS

do you think we'll get a trailer this week or should i better give up? I want to see new footage so much

gIVE Up on what? Just wait for new Ys 8 info, maybe they reworked it into an Ys 5 remake.
It's in the same boat as Persona 5 IMO; no or limited info=game is delayed.
We'll get our Ys and rocking soundtrack, just wait for it.

So do I, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Falcom is probably putting more money than usual in Tokyo Xanadu.

Maybe after this month we'll get something...

gIVE Up on what? Just wait for new Ys 8 info, maybe they reworked it into an Ys 5 remake.
It's in the same boat as Persona 5 IMO; no or limited info=game is delayed.
We'll get our Ys and rocking soundtrack, just wait for it.

giving up on seeing something at TGS i mean! Sure it's not that big of a deal, but it's a disapointement, it was the trailer i waited the most out of this convention!

Welp, next time i guess

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be surprised if this doesn't get delayed. It's the middle of September and I don't think we've seen anything other than the announcement trailer. I'd guess they ended up putting more manpower into Tokyo Xanadu than originally anticipated in order to get it out on time without sacrifices, at the cost of Ys getting pushed back.

But maybe a few weeks after TX comes out there will be huge info dumps and a November/December release for Ys. I dunno. That just seems less likely than a late winter/early spring 2016 release.

I'll be surprised if this doesn't get delayed. It's the middle of September and I don't think we've seen anything other than the announcement trailer. I'd guess they ended up putting more manpower into Tokyo Xanadu than originally anticipated in order to get it out on time without sacrifices, at the cost of Ys getting pushed back.

But maybe a few weeks after TX comes out there will be huge info dumps and a November/December release for Ys. I dunno. That just seems less likely than a late winter/early spring 2016 release.

ho i'm sure it will be 2016, the last trailer they were just saying "more info in 2015", not "release in 2015"

but i hope they'll show something this year at least

I hope so. I'm really not expecting it to be released anytime soon as you mentioned, we haven't had any further information or details about the game. Hopefully we'll have plenty of information by early 2016. Doesn't Falcom host an annual event of theirs?

Top Bottom