• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Origin (PS4/Vita) |OT| Yes, you can start with this one too

Verilligo

If this is your first time playing Ys Origin there is something you need to know. I'm not sure if the game actually outlines what you're supposed to do, but I'm going to assume it doesn't with any degree of certainty. At some point in the game, there is a door. This door will kill you. You will KNOW which door it is. In order to get past this door you must
equip the blue necklace
. That is all. Everyone who has played Ys I will know exactly what I'm talking about, but if you haven't played any other Ys game then the solution might escape you.

Paltheos

The claw is love. The claw is love

Claw route is best route, but Ys Origin is fun enough to play through three times to experience all the scenarios, and it's best to save Claw for last.

I will add though that I don't think any of the characters control quite as well as Oath's Adol, who is the perfect iteration of the Napishtim system imo. Yunica's his analogous player character in Origins, but she's tankier than he is. Claw's the closest Origin gets to Adol in fun. His play style's different, and that's good in its own way though so whatev.

Claw route is best route, but Ys Origin is fun enough to play through three times to experience all the scenarios, and it's best to save Claw for last.

I will add though that I don't think any of the characters control quite as well as Oath's Adol, who is the perfect iteration of the Napishtim system imo. Yunica's his analogous player character in Origins, but she's tankier than he is. Claw's the closest Origin gets to Adol in fun. His play style's different, and that's good in its own way though so whatev.

Idk I think Oath Adol is really boring. Napishtim Adol has way better magic.

Claw is the most fun character out of the three games.

Idk I think Oath Adol is really boring. Napishtim Adol has way better magic.

Claw is the most fun character out of the three games.

Naph adol has the better magic but the boss fights in the game minus 2 suck big time :D

Talking about the different versions of Adol offered in Origin or differences between the actual original games? I think there's no contest - offering the magic spells as special attacks instead of limited super attacks is way more interesting and makes Felghana a much more open game than Napishtim.

Talking about the different versions of Adol offered in Origin or differences between the actual original games? I think there's no contest - offering the magic spells as special attacks instead of limited super attacks is way more interesting and makes Felghana a much more open game than Napishtim.

The swords had special attack versions too though.

and idk I don't really think Felghana's system is open at all. It's kind of the opposite. After you obtain the magic it's mandatory in the next boss fight, then is kinda made obsolete by the next one in most cases.

That's mostly why I don't like it. They just aren't really fun to use compared to Napishtim's magic and Toal's skills. I even like Yunica over Oath Adol

Saphirax

Game is up on the EU store.

The theme you get could've been better but I do like the music.

Edit: I thought this game was supposed to be widescreen? I'm also getting some odd black pop in at the beginning.

Shizuka

Edit: I thought this game was supposed to be widescreen? I'm also getting some odd black pop in at the beginning.

Wait until you get to control the character.

WanPisu

Neo Member
Yay, it's out! I wanna buy it immediately but at the same time I'm considering waiting just a wee bit to see if the port is solid.

Edit: Nope, couldn't resist.

evilsin

One of the best games ever. I remember how thrilled I was when I was able to make the pirated version work with AppLocale all those years. Glad the trophies are easier than the Steam ones, totally gonna get this with a discount.

Tizoc

First timers should play on Normal or Hard. Hard is only a little more grindy than Normal, but is still doable.
Keep in mind that the game is linear so if you feel like you missed something in an area you can quickly back track and pick up what you missed.
One other thing- You can use the Crystal at ANY time to teleport to a save point, use this if you're down to a silver of health and need to GTFO the fire.

Pookmunki

Just played an hour or so, started as Hugo.

Love it and so glad to have it on ps4 - it looks great!

The theme you get as well ys beautiful

Karu

Play for 20 minutes or so. Second level. Lalala. Start to swim. Start to dive. Dead. Back to the level-start with lost progress, fool.

Yeah... not liking this if that's how it is.

Edit: I see, the tried and true method of 'dieing - complaining about it on GAF - progressing' still works :p

Tizoc

Play for 20 minutes or so. Second level. Lalala. Start to swim. Start to dive. Dead. Back to the level-start with lost progress, fool.

Yeah... not liking this if that's how it is.

Edit: I see, the tried and true method of 'dieing - complaining about it on GAF - progressing' still works :p
Whenever u enter a room aim to defeat all enemies in it

If they are too strong remember that you should be able to use the crystal to warp to a statue to heal+save
Also set magic to r1 or a shoulder button, makes casting them a lot easier
Also upgrade ur equipment at statues, they are always the cheapest you can purchase

Karu

Whenever u enter a room aim to defeat all enemies in it

If they are too strong remember that you should be able to use the crystal to warp to a statue to heal+save
Also set magic to r1 or a shoulder button, makes casting them a lot easier
Also upgrade ur equipment at statues, they are always the cheapest you can purchase
Thanks for the tips! Totally missed the upgrade system for example. Was thinking about restarting on easy because the electric worm (Nylgtyger or something?) is kicking my ass in a not-so-fun-way already, but will try again tomorrow after looking more into the systems and/or lvling up some more. I bought this on a whim for a quick fix, but i guess I have to approach this with a bit more thought than anticipated. :p

JPS Kai

Only that particular cutscene appears to be letter boxed. Everything else that I've seen in my playthroughs has been wide screen.

Might just be something to do with the source footage.

Tizoc

Thanks for the tips! Totally missed the upgrade system for example. Was thinking about restarting on easy because the electric worm (Nylgtyger or something?) is kicking my ass in a not-so-fun-way already, but will try again tomorrow after looking more into the systems and/or lvling up some more. I bought this on a whim for a quick fix, but i guess I have to approach this with a bit more thought than anticipated. :p
Pfft that guy is easy
Spam thunder magic so the pillars hit his back parts
Level up 1 or 2 levels and he should go down with ease

Bladelaw

This game was worth it for the music alone. The gameplay is exactly what I want out of a hack and slash. Just enough exploration and with skill you can overcome pretty much anything (even
the seemingly unwinnable fight near the beginning
).

godisntheradio

Neo Member
i'm playing ark of napishtim on pc right, but i bought it anyway along with Ys Seven, give me EVERY Ys

edit:

oh my, the ps4 theme worths the double dip alone

Top Bottom