• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys SEVEN PC |OT| Trails in the Flash Guard

Ascheroth

Just be careful and save often.

He's pretty damn well-known in Romn already.
Hahahaha, Roll Chain x 100 bonus unlocked: roll through solid matter.

-----
Can I just say that I really, really like the boss fights in this. Currently fighting the second boss (Nightmare) and it's awesome. That boss has way more mobility than everything I remember from Origin and Felghana, and it works because you, too, have way more mobility due to dodge rolls and a supreme defensive ability with FLASH GUARD.

So good.

You know, you gotta wonder how after travelling to 7 different lands, being declared the chosen one of prophecy 7 times and having fought and defeated 7 different ultimate evil elder gods...

How the fuck is Adol Christin not the most famous motherfucker on the planet? I realize it's a medieval era planet and they don't have the internet to easily spread the word, but god damn, dude should be idolized the world over by now.
He is a least somewhat famous by Ys 6. Early in the game one character,
Geis
, talks about having heard the stories about Adol the Red and wondering how true they were.

He is a least somewhat famous by Ys 6. Early in the game one character,
Geis
, talks about having heard the stories about Adol the Red and wondering how true they were.
In that character's case, he's already met Adol and knows how capable he is, so it's more like
Geis
can't yet accept just how much plot-armor and opportunities Adol's gotten over the years.
Geis
, meanwhile, still works in the shadows, like a
Darkling
would, but without anywhere near as much malice or success.

Ascheroth

I'm not sure if I'm liking the encroachment of NPC grind coupled with missable sidequests.
And WHY for god's sake are you only able to get quest 7 after 8 and 9. That quest book is literally useless in telling you if you've missed anything.

I decided to give this another shot and I think my original thoughts were pretty spot-on; this is a terrible (okay, maybe mediocre?) Ys game.

I'm in the big tree now, going to push on for now.

In that character's case, he's already met Adol and knows how capable he is, so it's more like
Geis
can't yet accept just how much plot-armor and opportunities Adol's gotten over the years.
Geis
, meanwhile, still works in the shadows, like a
Darkling
would, but without anywhere near as much malice or success.
Ys 6 seems to be where they meet, although I've never played 5.
I've only seen the opening to 7 so far, so I'm assuming you referring to his presence in it. Here's a link to the fight in 6. Their conversation is there which you'll probably have to pause to read, but that definitely looks like their first meeting.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0OE-1qt8Lds

Exentryk

The areas and dungeons are a little long for my liking. The bosses also seem to have a quite a bit of health. I guess if I was enjoying the combat more these things would bother me less.

The story side of things are feeling okay. It might have been better if the story was more dynamic rather than visit altar 1, altar 2, etc.

Kvik

I'm enjoying the game, killing bosses still feel as good as any other Ys games, but at 1080p the jaggies is proliferating.

I even boot up Oath in Felghana for a little bit to rest my eyes. That game is sharp. Unlocked framerate, unlocked resolution.

Oh well.

Ogawa-san

I went looking for an undub patch a minute after
Aisha
joined the group. I was ready to mute everyone if there wasn't one.

So far so good, other than that. It's actually making me think about going through Celceta again afterwards, maybe I'm warming up to the party Ys thing.

Check your rolling pattern. I felt rather slow until I got into the habit of timing rolls to dash around areas non-stop, and 60 FPS makes this easier than before. Unlike in some 3D Zelda games where this doesn't chop off much of your travel time, Seven and Celceta (and I presume VIII) have great uses for rolling.

Yeah, this did the trick. I feel a lot faster now.

Okay, I'm about seven hours in (starting the wind shrine level) and I feel like I can articulate some of what I really dislike about this game.

One of the first noticeable things is the music. It's good and it's Falcom, but it's not Ys good; a lot of it feels like generic JRPG music as opposed to the rocking, blood pumping tunes of previous games. I guess that falls in line with a lot of what happened to this game, actually, something I like to call the "Kiseki Factor," which leads us to......

CUTSCENES. Lots of them! Nothing introduces an high-octane action game better than forty minutes of cutscenes and a large town filled with generic NPCs that say nothing of interest, I tell ya. There are even drawn out cutscenes to tell you how to play the game, because I guess letting somebody press the X button and seeing what happens is archaic and confusing. They're unskippable too, so cheers to trying again on a harder difficulty.

Every enemy in the game is a massive bullet-sponge, bosses to a ridiculous degree (and this is on Normal).

Having to swap characters every other monster is frustrating, it really burns out the feeling of "flow" that the otherwise solid action should keep.

Constant dodge-rolling to avoid attacks feel sloppy.

The timing on Flash Guard is pretty tiny considering the penalty for missing one, which may have been justifiable if not for......

A successful Flash Guard not actually stopping an attack is a mind-numbingly moronic design decision.

Trying to Flash Guard with mostly useless party members constantly moving in front of you is pretty cool too.

Characters have way too many skills and the leveling system for them is rather time consuming. Granted, leveled skills seem to have gradual gains, but it still feels like it really discourages changing skills out or experimenting with new characters when you're discarding something you've built up for so long.

Whew, I think that's most of it. What's really frustrating is that there's still a mostly fun Ys combat system underneath this stuff, so I can't entirely brush the game off, because it can still be enjoyable. Thankfully, I seem to recall that a pretty sizeable amount of this was fixed up in Celceta (which needs a PC port far more than Seven did), so that gives me a bit of confidence that Ys VIII will be pretty good.

Ascheroth

CUTSCENES. Lots of them! Nothing introduces an high-octane action game better than forty minutes of cutscenes and a large town filled with generic NPCs that say nothing of interest, I tell ya. There are even drawn out cutscenes to tell you how to play the game, because I guess letting somebody press the X button and seeing what happens is archaic and confusing. They're unskippable too, so cheers to trying again on a harder difficulty.
[qupte]

Every enemy in the game is a massive bullet-sponge, bosses to a ridiculous degree (and this is on Normal).

Having to swap characters every other monster is frustrating, it really burns out the feeling of "flow" that the otherwise solid action should keep.

The timing on Flash Guard is pretty tiny considering the penalty for missing one, which may have been justifiable if not for......

A successful Flash Guard not actually stopping an attack is a mind-numbingly moronic design decision.

Trying to Flash Guard with mostly useless party members constantly moving in front of you is pretty cool too.

Characters have way too many skills and the leveling system for them is rather time consuming. Granted, leveled skills seem to have gradual gains, but it still feels like it really discourages changing skills out or experimenting with new characters when you're discarding something you've built up for so long.

Whew, I think that's most of it. What's really frustrating is that there's still a mostly fun Ys combat system underneath this stuff, so I can't entirely brush the game off, because it can still be enjoyable. Thankfully, I seem to recall that a pretty sizeable amount of this was fixed up in Celceta (which needs a PC port far more than Seven did), so that gives me a bit of confidence that Ys VIII will be pretty good.
Holding the cancel button speeds of the cutscenes SIGNIFICANTLY.

I personally think Flash Guard is fucking awesome and the window is pretty generous. Have you bound it to only 1 button? Having to press both triggers is moronic and probably makes it more difficult.

Once you did a successfull Flash Guard, spam it until the attack is over.

I'm not really aggreeing with the Bullet Sponge complaints, all the regular enemies die really fast, and I'm playing on Nightmare.

Holding the cancel button speeds of the cutscenes SIGNIFICANTLY.

I personally think Flash Guard is fucking awesome and the window is pretty generous. Have you bound it to only 1 button? Having to press both triggers is moronic and probably makes it more difficult.

Once you did a successfull Flash Guard, spam it until the attack is over.

I'm not really aggreeing with the Bullet Sponge complaints, all the regular enemies die really fast, and I'm playing on Nightmare.
I know you can keep Flash Guarding, but that doesn't make it any better. I do like the idea of it, but the execution was (as far as I'm remembering) far better handled in Celceta.

I think you do more damage on Nightmare, actually, as strange as that sounds. You get a bonus for using the right weapon type, which is kind of odd considering that most of the time the wrong weapon type does nothing.

The story side of things are feeling okay. It might have been better if the story was more dynamic rather than visit altar 1, altar 2, etc.
True fact: this won't improve until the last altar you visit, which already has a unique set-up compared to the rest of the game.

I went looking for an undub patch a minute after
Aisha
joined the group. I was ready to mute everyone if there wasn't one.
I might find the undub at some point just because a certain playable character later on (
Cruxie
) has really bad English VA. Just that character thankfully.

One of the first noticeable things is the music. It's good and it's Falcom, but it's not Ys good; a lot of it feels like generic JRPG music as opposed to the rocking, blood pumping tunes of previous games.

Ys games have always traded between driving rockers and more varied, sometimes slow tracks. Seven's even more diverse than usual (vs. Celceta which has more fast tracks but less quality overall), so you'll go from slower Kylos themes to percussive Segram stuff. None of this feels "generic" since I can describe the specific cool things about most of Seven's music, how it differs from previous and future Ys (or even Nayuta), and the continuing differences between Sound Team jdk and other Japanese VGM people.

CUTSCENES. Lots of them! Nothing introduces an high-octane action game better than forty minutes of cutscenes and a large town filled with generic NPCs that say nothing of interest, I tell ya.They're unskippable too, so cheers to trying again on a harder difficulty.

Good thing fast-forward exists. I'll view this stuff again because I believe it's where XSEED made the majority of text edits, but the altar scenes aren't worth it at all. Can't agree on NPCs since this game actually has a lot of asshole characters in Altago City, or rather odd personalities in the tribes, which are fun to follow. I find the NPCs better here than in Celceta at least since they're more connected to what's happening all over Altago.

Can't deny, there's more sponginess overall vs. the mid-2000s games. I don't agree on the scale of HP increase, but it's a bit better tuned in Celceta on Hard.

Snapping's damn fast even in Seven, and you combo through groups of enemies as much as in previous games regardless of the character.

Never felt this. It's not like hovering in air all the time isn't better or worse, just different.

Some attacks have splash damage you can't avoid, but spamming Guard for longer-hitting moves isn't an issue for the most part.

High levels only matter at endgame, so I'm fine equipping skill-leveling accessories on characters to max out the skills I know will have utility later on. Elk has the worst skillset by far, followed by Mishera who still has a unique ranged advantage over Aisha. The others have some interesting things to try out, and Dogi always cleans up.

Thankfully, I seem to recall that a pretty sizeable amount of this was fixed up in Celceta (which needs a PC port far more than Seven did), so that gives me a bit of confidence that Ys VIII will be pretty good.
VIII definitely fixes a bunch of this stuff even without changing general systems. Celceta's fixes are like a monkey's paw, though, with worse bosses and dungeons than either Seven or VIII. I wish things like auto-charging attacks, more juggling, and refined skills could be hacked into Seven, but that's a lot of deep coding which no one has time for.

I do like the idea of it, but the execution was (as far as I'm remembering) far better handled in Celceta.
A year after beating Seven, I played Celceta PC and found Flash Guard to be even more OP. Thing is, I like that some attacks can't be reliably Guard-ed in Seven, noticeable even during the first boss; you pretty much have to abuse Flash moves at certain points in Celceta to keep good flow and enjoy yourself (final boss is awful about this). In Seven there's a lot of reasons to dodge-roll most attacks until you need to replenish SP, and SP issues dwindle over time.

Psxphile

The only thing I really, really dislike in Ys Seven is bosses having way too much HP for their own good. I don't want them to be pushovers, but I also don't want them to waste my time either. Or maybe I'm just bad at depleting HP. *shrugs*

jb1234

It's more the bosses. I played the game on Hard and they had an outrageous amount of HP. It sapped all the fun out of the battles because they just went on forever. I hated it much that I played Celceta on Normal as a result (arguably a mistake).

Ascheroth

I know you can keep Flash Guarding, but that doesn't make it any better. I do like the idea of it, but the execution was (as far as I'm remembering) far better handled in Celceta.

I think you do more damage on Nightmare, actually, as strange as that sounds. You get a bonus for using the right weapon type, which is kind of odd considering that most of the time the wrong weapon type does nothing.
That is an... interesting design choice. I looked it up and you have an 1.5 damage multiplicator for the right weapon type. So even though things have more HP on Nightmare they actually die faster because you do more damage?

It's more the bosses. I played the game on Hard and they had an outrageous amount of HP. It sapped all the fun out of the battles because they just went on forever. I hated it much that I played Celceta on Normal as a result (arguably a mistake).
See above, personally boss battles seem fine to me.
But I'm also only at the Fire Shrine, so I dunno.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea I finished the game yesterday and definitely agree about boss HP bloat. It gets better the farther you get as your damage output increases a lot, but the first half of the game was pretty nuts.

Ascheroth

I do however agree that I could do without the 'NPC grind' (Trails game have made me unable to progress without talking to every NPC twice...) and you basically need to have a guide open if you don't want to miss anything.

Thankfully Ys VIII seems to significantly cut down on that. Well, at least the former. Know idea how it is with missables.

never saw this thread until now my fav Ys game got 13 achievements already and near the end of the game probably not getting everything done but man what a ride all over again loving it!

preta

I do however agree that I could do without the 'NPC grind' (Trails game have made me unable to progress without talking to every NPC twice...) and you basically need to have a guide open if you don't want to miss anything.

Thankfully Ys VIII seems to significantly cut down on that. Well, at least the former. Know idea how it is with missables.

Not many missables. The only thing to really keep in mind is that side quests work like in Trails, which is to say that many of them are only open for a fairly short window of time. There are no hidden ones, though - every single one is posted on the quest board, so as long as you check it frequently and do all of them at the earliest opportunity you should be fine.

i tend to play most ys games with a guide handy for this very reason. not that i follow it from moment to moment, but it's good to quickly read over before leaving a dungeon or something

i'm currently playing through ys vi and it's the best way to go through imo

Ascheroth

Not many missables. The only thing to really keep in mind is that side quests work like in Trails, which is to say that many of them are only open for a fairly short window of time. There are no hidden ones, though - every single one is posted on the quest board, so as long as you check it frequently and do all of them at the earliest opportunity you should be fine.
Yep, that sounds great.
i tend to play most ys games with a guide handy for this very reason. not that i follow it from moment to moment, but it's good to quickly read over before leaving a dungeon or something

i'm currently playing through ys vi and it's the best way to go through imo
That's basically what I do with the Trails games too.

e_i

Got all the
Dragon seals.
And now I have go
back to the dungeons to resurrect the dragons.
Crap.

Ascheroth

Is the Bird-thing boss in the Fire Shrine the point were difficulty levels out?
Because that thing took me 1 try on Nightmare without any item usage ;)
Feels good.

Is the Bird-thing boss in the Fire Shrine the point were difficulty levels out?
Because that thing took me 1 try on Nightmare without any item usage ;)
Feels good.
Another bird boss and a couple others later are much harder. You get spikes here and there which the game hints at or gives you ample means to deal with.

Blue-kun

*reaches next boss*
Did I say anything?

Levard is a fun boss, one of the few where I find the bigger mobility this game gives you as opposed to the previous titles can work against you. I find that not moving a lot there and taking the purple projectiles slowly is... well, better and safer for that fight, lol.

Anyway, been playing it on and off too, enjoying it as always. Nightmare, no items, got myself beaten at least once (more than once, like 5 times against the spider) so far, lol. No matter how many times I play it, it seems like I keep forgetting how to be good at the game when I first start it.

Plus, setting the controls to be exactly like the original just after coming out of Ys VIII on the Vita isn't happening. Often mashing that O button on my DS3 to attack and instead switching party characters, lol.

Psxphile

kR8rxrY.jpg

D6SHUri.jpg
Looks good.

EDIT: damn why didn't anyone tell me you can break those random boulders set in cliffsides w/ Dogi?!?
Always thought they were suspect but I assumed an item would come along that would do the job
And now I realize, in hindsight, that of course that's how it's going to work, it's fucking DOGI

A couple of posters are trying to extract HD textures from the Joyoland port as well, since that would expedite a custom HD pack. I'm quite excited for that.

With my limited play time, I've reached Segram. Flame Shrine (and Fire Sanctum) is quite fun from what I remember.

Drogean

Updated: 9/12 - FINAL VERSION RELEASED

Xseed deleted my texture pack thread so i'm remaking it here

Step 1: Chinese HD textures from the Joyoland Chinese port

I created a HD Chinese Environmental Texture Pack
This uses the Chinese Joyland port textures which were upscaled and re-worked and look a bit better than the Xseed PC port.
This covers ALL the textures for the environments throughout the whole game.
It looks like Xseed upscaled the GUI portraits and touched up the enemy characters

unless there are any bugs this release is pretty much complete and I will most likley be making HD textures that compliment this pack which I will continue here

Changelog :
v1 - test release
v2 - fixed npc dialog crashes
v3- added installer, added world objects textures (signs/ore/tree stumps)

To Install:
1. Download the latest Chinese texture pack now with installer:
https://mega.nz/#!b0s0FLBb!-uXbw64wZPRKDseoRNN61_b6vmKmalj5NaEy-TC0E3Y
2. Extract to your Ys Seven root folder
3. Run Install_Pack.bat and wait for it to finish backing up your files and installing the textures
4. Run the game!

To Remove:
1. Run Uninstall_Pack.bat and wait for it to finish restoring your backed up files
2. Run the game!

Step 2: HD Texture pack to use on top of the Chinese Texture Pack
This gets updated almost daily. Currently includes all titanos up to the Giant Octopus

Features:
- HD Adol
- HD Altago City textures
- Retexured Segrim Desert sand
- Retextured Ancient Tree
- Misc environmental textures
- HD/reskinned ALL Titano bosses up to Wind Shrine

Download HD PACK v 7.8 : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8cXo3qBXCkhb09Wd2VyWGpEbk0
-To Install-
1. Download Kaldaien's Texture Injector mod here
2. Unzip to your Ys Seven game folder (ex C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Ys SEVEN\ or C:\GOG\Ys Seven\)
3. Unzip texture pack to same folder
4. Play game. It should say "HD PACK" on the title screen if its working

Alternative Install (possible performance Increase): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8cXo3qBXCkhZjBmTmowYVFYa2s

-To Install-
- Install Kaldaien's texture injector mod
- Place the pack inside Ys SEVEN\SK_Res\inject, do not unzip
- Delete the "textures" folder inside Ys SEVEN\SK_Res\inject

Special thanks to DarkSpartan for working on this with me

Japanese "Undub" Pack

This replaces the english "voices" used during attacks to their Japanese versions

Download:
http://www45.zippyshare.com/v/Pswkdmf1/file.html
-Install-
1. Extract to \Ys Seven\ game folder

Example XSEED vs JOYLAND textures
ADg2QXG.jpg

7Uocjsz.jpg

preta

I created a HD Chinese texture pack mod WIP ALPHA

NOTE: HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL, MAY CRASH AND MESS WITH NPC NAMES AND OTHER STUFF

It uses the re-worked textures from the Chinese Joyland release

1. Rename \Ys SEVEN\MAP to MAP_BACKUP
2. Download the Chinese HD textures here http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/R4Ml7XQX/file.html
3. Extract to Ys Seven Game root folder
4. Go to Ys Seven\Pack\Map\
5. Create a folder called BACKUP and put all *.1mp files into it
5. start game and you should see new textures

Example XSEED vs JOYLAND textures
ADg2QXG.jpg

7Uocjsz.jpg

Do the Joyoland textures cover the entire game? I thought I recalled reading that they're only used in early-game areas, but I might be confusing that with something else.

Drogean

Do the Joyoland textures cover the entire game? I thought I recalled reading that they're only used in early-game areas, but I might be confusing that with something else.

yes the entire game

the textures you heard about are my own hand made ones that only cover altago city and the altago plains

Kvik

Yet another of Drogean's quality work! Subarashii :)

Looking forward to play Ys with this mod after work.

Psxphile

Man, that looks amazing. I'm already at the point in the story where you have to go all around Altago again and revisit the dragon shrines so it's going to be nice to see what previously-explored areas now look like.

To Install:
1. Download the latest Chinese texture pack now with installer:
https://mega.nz/#!b0s0FLBb!-uXbw64wZPRKDseoRNN61_b6vmKmalj5NaEy-TC0E3Y
2. Extract to your Ys Seven root folder
3. Run Install_Pack.bat and wait for it to finish backing up your files and installing the textures
4. Run the game!

To Remove:
1. Run Uninstall_Pack.bat and wait for it to finish restoring your backed up files
2. Run the game!
I installed this and I don't think it changed anything; will wait until the first town opens up again before saying for sure since those ships in the background are probably the most obvious.

Eila

Damn, the game feels good running 60 fps + the Joyoland textures. Wish there were more anti-aliasing options, though. Wonder if you can use an external program like gedosato for that.

The back half of this game is torturous.

Also, let's give a boss 100,000 HP while you do 50-60 damage a hit, more time spent equals more fun, right?

Top Bottom