• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII announced for summer 2016, Trails of Cold Steel 3 also announced

We can complain about Adol's adventurous fashion but then again that kind of all goes out the window when in Ys MoC
a little girl with a giant fucking mace wearing a fancy dress now proceeds to play Sonic All Stars Racing with you across the map
. It's a fantasy game so I'm never bothered by clothing choices unless they look really lame but I have to say for the most part Ys tends to have very stylish and cool character fashion that doesn't bother with functionality; even in the very graphically simple Ys 1 and 2.

Plus Ys Seven looks good in art, but in-game Adol's outfit didn't have that much styling on it. I prefer to judge by how things look in-game and to judge the art on its own merits.

So while I think Ys 8 art is mega dope, the in-game model colors and clothing choices look a little wonky and not as cool as past games in the screenshots; not as clean of a look as Ys MoC. Maybe I have selective vision or something but I'll wait for the final product before passing any heavy judgments.

It actually looks much cleaner and better than Celceta. THe toning down of the bloom filter greatly helps.

Finalow

Cold Steel 3 was pretty much confirmed in an interview months ago, about time they decided to announce it.

glad to finally see Ys VIII, interesting name there.

Falcom just tweeted: expect Ys VIII feature pieces next week from Dengeki and Famitsu.

VmNHSlK.jpg

Kondo's also provided comments for the articles, and I assume the screenshot's a hint of what they'll show.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ys8 is PS4 and Vita? Siiiiick. Finally I can stop touching my Vita and play Ys on my TV.

Just this for now.

I'm loving these low-angle shots of the game. They're going a long way to make this seem grander than Ys stories before VIII, even if it's not much longer or shorter than Seven.

Yeah, i'm liking their focus on the environment and you have dragons flying here and there. It definitely provides it a grandiose feeling.

My favorite part is that they showed both mountain tops and under the sea so far (at least in the concept arts).

Now that they're adding more mobility and stuff, I hope the level design will upgrade accordingly too.

Xenoflare

Probably PS4/Vita. If it works for Ys8.... :p

Still think Ys8 looks kinda shit though. Not a fan of how YsC and Ys8 look. Too much bloom, clashes with the art style, makes it look cheaper than it already looks.

It reminds me of Ragnarok Odyssey on the Vita and I'm not saying it fondly.

In regards to Ys visual quality:

I wish Falcom could license the Omega Force engine to make a current gen Ys game.

I think the existing Ys template , with some minor tweaks could easily be on top of the Omega Force engine, especially in the form that it's improved from with Toukiden, Hyrule and DQ Heroes.

Psxphile

Just took it from Falcom's latest tweet!

CWf5RbYWUAERWA5.png

Better look at both character's design.
Pretty. Too low-res, though. Could be prettier.

Is the girl with the crazy blue hair playable? She looks awesome

She's standing in the darkness opposite Adol's light. Makes me think she'll be a villain, but being shown off this early and her calm exterior leads me to believe she'll be joining Adol at some point.

She's the new Geis.

I hope the game doesn't have all that material trading and converting which I found to be unnecessarily convoluted in Celceta. I didn't mind it at all in Seven but Celceta had a layer of complexity that didn't add much to my experience. Not to mention the absurd amount of status ailments and elemental attacks. It just felt like something I didn't need in an Ys game.

Oh, and not too many underwater fights please. The clunky first phase of that early fish boss in Celceta was crap. But they might nail it here so I'll just have to wait and see.

Ys VIII starts when Adol is washed ashore a cursed island

In South Greek, in the waters of the Goethe Sea, Adol is aboard a passenger boat called “The Lombardy” heading from Xandria towards the continent of Eresia, when the the ship is attacked and sunk by a mysterious, large monster. When Adol wakes up on a sandy beach, he realizes he is on the cursed “Siren Island.”
On this island, players can build a “Drifting Village” base to rescue other castaways that drift ashore. There will also be “Counter-Attack Battles” where players must defend the base.
More at source. More information will be posted as Dengeki interview is out and translated.

Going by that translation, does this mean we can elect not to build the Drifting Village? That doesn't tell me if there's undesirable consequences for not building it up, but then it sounds like you have to do the battles anyway, so I'm bemused.

Just took it from Falcom's latest tweet!

CWf5RbYWUAERWA5.png

Better look at both character's design.

What's up with the girl's body? It seems *far* too wide. As if her body is facing us almost straight on, but her head makes it look like she should be standing in profile. It just looks weird, I can't figure out what she's supposed to look like.

What's up with the girl's body? It seems *far* too wide. As if her body is facing us almost straight on, but her head makes it look like she should be standing in profile. It just looks weird, I can't figure out what she's supposed to look like.
It's a quirk for sure, like how the Ys VI-engine games' character illustrations show boots as bread buns. Liefeld Tia?

There's a picture of a magazine shot of Adol's latest design floating around, he has some nice looking forearm guards.

And Yunica wearing oven mitts lol

Yeah, but it's a magazine scan, so i'm not sure if I can post that. I'm unsure of GAF's policy about it :/

Dio

Banned
Also, I just realized that this means Adol gets knocked off a ship and washes up on an unknown island and meets a blue haired girl.

Man, really?

Nyoro SF

Does falcom dislike dogi all of a sudden?
Bring back the one true bro :/

I think it's good to give other characters time to shine and make themselves known in the Ys universe too. Plus it'll make it nicer when Dogi does come back in the future.

Also, I just realized that this means Adol gets knocked off a ship and washes up on an unknown island and meets a blue haired girl.

Man, really?

I laughed when I heard it. It's a fun tradition now. Not too important how Adol gets to where he needs to go, so he might as well go in complete wrecking ball style each time lol

ReaperXL7

Ya know as much as I love and for as long as I have been playing RPGs I have never actually gotten around to playing any of the Ys games. I'm assuming based on the trailers that they are action based combat, are the stories pretty good?

Really interested in Trails of Cold steel also but I don't have my PS3 anymore and my son ate my Vitas memory card so I will have to wait until they start bringing the PS4 games over before I can jump on that.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ya know as much as I love and for as long as I have been playing RPGs I have never actually gotten around to playing any of the Ys games. I'm assuming based on the trailers that they are action based combat, are the stories pretty good?

Really interested in Trails of Cold steel also but I don't have my PS3 anymore and my son ate my Vitas memory card so I will have to wait until they start bringing the PS4 games over before I can jump on that.

Passable, generally. You play Ys for the gameplay (and music), not the story. If you're just looking for story you might be disappointed.

The Trails games would be better for you in that regard, but they are pretty tightly knit so you would want(/need) to play the current games at some point anyway to get a full grasp of the story. Cold Steel 3 seems like a safe bet on PS4, but it's also going to be a direct sequel to the two PS3/Vita games, and still connected to the other prior games (Trails in the Sky trilogy and the Zero/Azure duology).

Top Bottom