• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII announced for summer 2016, Trails of Cold Steel 3 also announced

Dio

Banned
Ya know as much as I love and for as long as I have been playing RPGs I have never actually gotten around to playing any of the Ys games. I'm assuming based on the trailers that they are action based combat, are the stories pretty good?

Really interested in Trails of Cold steel also but I don't have my PS3 anymore and my son ate my Vitas memory card so I will have to wait until they start bringing the PS4 games over before I can jump on that.

Ys is where you go for the best bossfights in videogames, awesome real-time action combat, and lean story. They are over in 10-20 hours. Imagine if Zelda evolved from its origins (Ys 1 and the original Zelda were in the same time period) and instead of going via puzzles, etc. it focused on making the combat as fun and fast as possible and the bossfights to be awesome.

Trails is where you go for slower, turn-based, Grandia-esque RPG combat, and really indepth story, and are like 50-70 hours.

They're completely different, basically. Also, there are NO PS4 TRAILS TITLES YET. They haven't even made Trails of Cold Steel 3 yet, and that MIGHT be PS4, but we don't know yet.

ReaperXL7

Awesome, thanks for the responses. Still interested in Ys for the gameplay I was just curious about the story side of them since I wasn't sure if I would have had to play the previous games to know what was happening.

I'm going to get a new memory card for my Vita hopefully soon so I will plan on picking up Cold steel, and I'm guessing Trails in the Sky is also a part of the same story?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome, thanks for the responses. Still interested in Ys for the gameplay I was just curious about the story side of them since I wasn't sure if I would have had to play the previous games to know what was happening.

I'm going to get a new memory card for my Vita hopefully soon so I will plan on picking up Cold steel, and I'm guessing Trails in the Sky is also a part of the same story?

The Ys games are connected, but it's loose and in the background. You can play them in pretty much any order, with the exception of 1 and 2 (which are basically one game split into two).

As for Trails, yeah. It's split into (so far) three different archs with their own stories, but the details in those stories heavily overlap and deal with the same overarching story. The Trails in the Sky games are the first part of that story/series and are (apparently) a bit more standalone than the later games.

Yeah, Vita is definitely the system to play Ys on too, 1,2,3,4 are all there + 7 and (soon to be 8)

Yeah, Vita is definitely the system to play Ys on too, 1,2,3,4 are all there + 7 and (soon to be 8)

Actually, Vita + PC is a good combination. Play the ones released on PC there, and the newer ones on Vita.

I say this because of the enhancements XSEED have done to the PC iterations and also because Ys Origins is only available for PC.

Actually, Vita + PC is a good combination. Play the ones released on PC there, and the newer ones on Vita.

I say this because of the enhancements XSEED have done to the PC iterations and also because Ys Origins is only available for PC.

And because 60 FPS matters a lot for Ys games.

OMG YES, so hyyyped!!!!

So far I've finished YsI, III, IV, all on Vita (^____^)

Still need to go back to II and VII

Fun fact: Feena's theme (synth version) has been my alarm clock on my phone for awhile now :)

stryke

new Adol artwork -

main01.jpg

That's not all!

http://www.falcom.com/ys8/index.html

Notice that the blue-haired girl is alone too!

In order to rescue the passengers drifting ashore and defend themselves from the “Ancients” that attack humans, Adol builds a “Drifting Village” as a base.

Before long, Adol has a strange “dream” on this island. There is a mysterious girl with blue hair, and she lives in an unknown world.

Why is this island known as the “forever cursed island”? What is the hidden mystery of this island? And who is the girl who appeared in Adol’s dream?
http://gematsu.com/2016/01/ys-viii-details-prologue-adol-christin#L2DMa2ctSC7w82zT.99

Verder

man fuck that celceta engine.

fun game but man it wasn't pretty.
was really hoping it would look substantially different from celceta but it seems to be looking the exact same.

hope im wrong

Jumping's reintroduced in this game.

was really hoping it would look substantially different from celceta but it seems to be looking the exact same.

hope im wrong
The story's already going to be different in premise because you seemingly play the blue heroine in an "unknown world" that Adol dreams of, most likely ancient Siren Island. We don't know how defending the drifting village will function, nor if the skill system and weapon weaknesses are in.

Jumping's reintroduced in this game.

The story's already going to be different in premise because you seemingly play the blue heroine in an "unknown world" that Adol dreams of, most likely ancient Siren Island. We don't know how defending the drifting village will function, nor if the skill system and weapon weaknesses are in.

Falcom needs to release a new trailer and show if they are in or not!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I have no issue with Ys platforming. And really, I can't imagine it controlling worse than Celceta, because unlike that, this'll probably run at above 20fps.

It was a cool game, but what a technical trainwreck Celceta was...

Best surprise about platforming in Origin was somehow ignoring the Guilty Fire mid-boss arena to instead whirlwind my way onto the later platforms in the area right before. Climbing Velagunder was a real pain, though.

I have no issue with Ys platforming. And really, I can't imagine it controlling worse than Celceta, because unlike that, this'll probably run at above 20fps.

It was a cool game, but what a technical trainwreck Celceta was...

The PS4 version should definitely run at 60 FPS.

I hope the VIta can do as well, somehow.

Origin was fine, it's OiF and Ys 6 that had awful platforming that I don't care to see come back.
Napishtim I get, but the platforming in OiF is more straightforward than I was expecting and certainly inoffensive. Valestein Castle's heaviest on that aspect—the pit rooms were fun to move around in.

duckroll

I bet this game will be underwhelming just like Ys Seven and Ys Celceta. I bet I will buy the game anyway. I bet I will whine about how underwhelming it is. :(

Kinda hoping that these are both good entry points for complete noobies to each series. I've never played a game in either series before and as I don't have as much time for games as I used to, it'd be awesome to be able to jump in without having to look-up all of the previous entries in the series as it's kinda intimidating knowing there have been so many.

Verder

I bet this game will be underwhelming just like Ys Seven and Ys Celceta. I bet I will buy the game anyway. I bet I will whine about how underwhelming it is. :(

I love falcom but i feel the current falcom compared to the psp era falcom era is completely different. Everything they are putting out just seem underwhelming.

Love them regardless but damn

Kinda hoping that these are both good entry points for complete noobies to each series. I've never played a game in either series before and as I don't have as much time for games as I used to, it'd be awesome to be able to jump in without having to look-up all of the previous entries in the series as it's kinda intimidating knowing there have been so many.
Ys stories are nearly always self-contained with lore that won't stick out until you've played the other games, especially Ark of Napishtim which provides an origin story of sorts.

duckroll

I love falcom but i feel the current falcom compared to the psp era falcom era is completely different. Everything they are putting out just seem underwhelming.

Love them regardless but damn

Actually Ys hasn't been great since it left PC. Ys6 through to Origin was the best run for Ys. Now it is nothing but tears. :(

Wagram

Really liked Ys: Celceta so here's hoping it's at least as good as that. I put restrictions on myself in that playthrough and it made it fun as hell. Max difficulty, no healing. Yup, it was Ys all right.

itschris

Odd how those screenshots look like they're rendered at 1280x720 (unless I'm wrong, but they don't look downsampled from 1080p to me). I wonder if they're Vita bullshots or PS4 screens - if the latter, surely this game won't be 720p on PS4? This game doesn't have a PS3 version, right?

Regardless, I'm looking forward to it.

casiopao

Question here about Ys series and of course the story here.

Does all the story continue each other or it is more like Zelda where it had some huge connected lore? But not troublesome to start? As each story is independent?

Also is this Adol name character the same character as the first Ys or some kind of reincarnation or family name? As i feel this Adol have been like forever.

Wagram

Does all the story continue each other or it is more like Zelda where it had some huge connected lore? But not troublesome to start? As each story is independent?

Also is this Adol name character the same character as the first Ys or some kind of reincarnation or family name? As i feel this Adol have been like forever.

It's the same character for all the entries except Origins, where he isn't born yet. It's also like Zelda where each entry is independent. There are connections, but they aren't so overarching that you HAVE to know.

Any word of a PC version?
Don't get your hopes up unless you can play Chinese versions!

Yes, it has a connected lore and yes, it's not troublesome to start and indeed each story is independent.

One of the charms of the series is that you can start from any game of the franchise, the only thing you'd miss out on is the subtle reference to other games.

Only Ys I & II and Ys Origin are heavily connected to each other.

casiopao

It's the same character for all the entries except Origins, where he isn't born yet. It's also like Zelda where each entry is independent. There are connections, but they aren't so overarching that you HAVE to know.

Welp.... Wont that make Adol character change a lot here as pulling same character like 8 series is surely going to bring some inconsistencies here or is Ys not story focus like Zelda?

my body is ready..
if we had a date for trials of cold steel 2 in the meanwhile..
or for tokyo xanadu..
of course i trust ys 8 will reach me in the proper time!

Wagram

Welp.... Wont that make Adol character change a lot here as pulling same character like 8 series is surely going to bring some inconsistencies here or is Ys not story focus like Zelda?

Not really. Adol is a silent protagonist for the most part.

So Adol is only 21 in this one, interesting. So it definitely takes place before Ys Seven and probably Ark of Napishtim not that it really matters but we probably won't get any references to those. Maybe there will be references to V to lead to Ys V getting remade finally

Top Bottom