• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

SeanTSC

NISA has been releasing partial English dubs of games for a very long time, do that would not be weird or surprising.

I actually ran into a part in the game where a character spoke Japanese instead of English with the English audio track on.

Par for the course with NISA.

That’s some hyperbole. Translation is fine, just lacks QA. Not that uncommon for Aksys unfortunately.

No, there's some untranslated names (yes, in Japanese), change in narrative perspective during the game (3rd person vs. first person), lots and lots of typos.

silva1991

That cave under the waterfall where you find
the nun
has mushrooms.

As for meats, you could fish a lot :p.

Alternative would be to hunt low level beasts or sell higher level meat.

I haven't found the
nun
yet. I can't believe I forgot about her even tho she stood out among other people on the ship

As for red meat, I found the easiest way for me to get it is by killing dinos and then selling their meat.

I know this might not be the best way, but whatever it works :p

Saphirax

No, there's some untranslated names (yes, in Japanese), change in narrative perspective during the game (3rd person vs. first person), lots and lots of typos.

I’m aware, but it’s still nowhere near as bad as a machine translation. The translation is fine for the most part but it does need another editing pass. It’s hardly the worst.

I wish there were a few more optional areas in the game to discover, there's been at least 3 times so far that I've felt pretty satisfied finding new areas that I hadn't been to yet only to have to go there for story reasons not too much later lol.

Also, I'm definitely not as bothered by the localization as some people, though that may be because I also dealt with Tales of Berseria earlier this year too, which had lines of dialogue cut off and near the end of the game there were entire skits with text errors in every line. Though the translation itself for that was fine, but this one is serviceable.

So... i'm missing 8 peoples entry in the journal... but i'm counting only five "???" in it... and i'm at the very end and completed all sidequests! Will it be after the final boss? Is there some gift locked behind supression or interception battle? (i've got A, so if i'm missing something it should be rank S?)

Also i'm missing only one key item, i've got every other item in the completion list, is it in the post game dungeon?

Thud

Chapter 5 boss spoilers:

Okaenos was manageable after I knew the sticky bomb trick. Now that Dana boss after that was a Nightmare no item run :p

preta

I didn't; I saw your post before: Gameplay spoilers
The message appears from the moment you try to save in the past before getting Dana's light form, which is awesome by the way. Do we know if you can get Dana's forms in the present or ng+?.

Edit: O wow guess I'm having a little peek of a what no item run is
I only have like two antidotes with dana for this part

There's no way to get her other forms in the present, unfortunately. I wouldn't be surprised if there's eventually a mod for it for the PC version, though.

I actually ran into a part in the game where a character spoke Japanese instead of English with the English audio track on.

Par for the course with NISA.

Was it Io in Sanctuary? Man that was a bizarre moment. Also, is this The Scaled Claw? I was a ranger on Terris Thule, huge fan from back in the day!

I just found the scene left with the Japanese voices intact. Guess it was too minor for NISA to notice.

Was it Io in Sanctuary? Man that was a bizarre moment. Also, is this The Scaled Claw? I was a ranger on Terris Thule, huge fan from back in the day!
Yep, that was the scene I just saw.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Chapter 6 boss spoiler
man that Dana dungeon boss with the destroyae shield and flame shield has to be one of the cooler ys bosses all the light boss before that too

God damn, chapter 5 was a lot longer than I expected. I was hoping to finish the game tonight so I wouldn't have to put it on hold once DRV3 got here. Unless 4 hours is enough to finish the game from Ch. 6 onward, I doubt that'll happen lol.

ok i have everything at 100%, i'll i have left to do is the post-game dungeon!
Hope the boss is something else than IO, since apparently you fight the sames bosses that were in the dana dungeon

if only 100% the game in nightmare difficulty would be enough to get a platinum, but noooooooooooo, there's a bunch a meaningless shit to do beside that!

just beat the post-game dungeon in nightmare! aproximately 60h to do it 100 % (collected everything)

all that's left is some shitty trophy that are here just to waste time

EDIT :

Now i need to max out skills, but i'm missing skills for characters apparently.... how do i unlock them? Normally, each character get 12 skills! If so, i'm missing one for dana and four for ricotta!

They're both lvl 85 so i really don't know why they don't unlock the rest when playing with them....

I could use some farming tips. Need primitive meat from
ancient species
and I've been fighting them forever but they just don't drop it...

I could use some farming tips. Need primitive meat from
ancient species
and I've been fighting them forever but they just don't drop it...

teleport to the titisu primeval forest, and then go immediatly to the path to the right (there's an area change you can't miss it), there immediatly to the left, there's lot of tiny dinosaur to kill that can drop them Just go there and repeat until you got the meat!

it's jsut next to the crystal so you don't risk anything! Also you should equip the gambler coin

Mr.Jeff

EDIT :

Now i need to max out skills, but i'm missing skills for characters apparently.... how do i unlock them? Normally, each character get 12 skills! If so, i'm missing one for dana and four for ricotta!

They're both lvl 85 so i really don't know why they don't unlock the rest when playing with them....
Kill high level monsters as that character with skills. I picked on the weak bats from the post game dungeon or the start of the main game optional one

just got the platinum, now i'm ready for cuphead and danganronpa 3!

also i really hope they'll go back to the naphitim/felghana/origin system in the next one, the party trilogy is not even close to these ones! But i really doubt it sadly

maybe a new gameplay for a new trilogy

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
No thanks to going back to oath style. But I'll take a game with solo adol in the way that solo Dana was handled if they want to do single character

Well Kondo was interested in a remake of Ys V with alchemy mechanics.

that's would just be a side mechanic like crafting, i really wonder how they'll do the main gameplay...

i miss the old bosses, they were so much more creative with the way you had to fight them!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
i miss the old bosses, they were so much more creative with the way you had to fight them!
Run around like like a chicken with your head cut off, defensive magic or jump over stuff, use charged spell or mash attack in opening ... win?

origin already maxed out that combats potential with it's 3 characters imo

They just need to work on making the bosses more complex they already started to have the right idea with things in 8 on some of the bosses phases

When your characters are over the top hard to punish and super fast you need bosses that can out pace them or flatten them instantly

Mr.Jeff

No thanks to going back to oath style. But I'll take a game with solo adol in the way that solo Dana was handled if they want to do single character
That's kinda similar to the system in 6 anyway.

If I wanted anything from the next Ys game it would be:

Change the camera angle or allow it to be locked at a partial top down angle.
Do something with Flash Guarding/Dodging. It's a similar system but I preferred when dodging was preempting an attack and moving away than waiting for an almost parry like counter
Reduce the number of skills so cut out the useless and pointless ones.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If anything I would make it so flash guard or dodge can't proc when one is already activated and it can't refresh itself. That is by far the strongest thing in this once you have rythms down on the crazier things

That way dodge is used more for its pure defensive nature it started as and guard can be used in high agressive moments

Edit: I'd probably make it so guard makes it so only your next skill does triple damage and that's it to avoid another scenario like what happened with adol's moveset in 8

Mr.Jeff

I know you could argue this about dodging in general but I dislike being forced to learn timings like that, especially for the harder to grasp particle attacks or certain shockwave attacks.
The charge attack of the uhh, 2nd cave boss that everyone struggles with, for example I spent hours struggling to grasp the timing on that and a much later boss that does a large laser attack that you can only see from a straight on angle is another vexatious bugbear of mine.

If I was going to keep either of the two, I'd probably prefer Flash Guard. The dodge I abused the hell out of it but it feels inconsistent for what it does.

Another example is the Baha tower boss:
with all it's particle attacks, it's the closest to an "old-school" Ys boss as you're likely to get and yet it was incredibly frustrating for me to try and fight that way. In the end, once I grasped that the breath attack was ripe for Flash Dodging, it took away that whole aspect of trying to dodge various attacks

All that aside, I think the fights are definite improvement from how the new era started in 7 and definitely better than Celceta.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Baha tower boss
Yeah he was Def a boss that was out of his place, in any of the other styles he probably would have been one of the harder bosses in the series but with how 8 let's you refresh the dodge and guard he ends up just getting chained by flashes til death they should have done something like oh this status effect in this boss room disables the flashes in this fight! GOOD LUCK

Part of the reason the dodge probably feels inconsistent is that it's flash window is way smaller than the parry one, like the dodge still operates as a dodge and only the start up triggers the flash where the parries active frames for flash is like 50 years long

Last time I checked, I had 1300+ flash guards for near 400 flash moves. I just find flash guard more reliable and more useful to my playstyle, I find that most times that I try to do a flash move I could simply flash guard and lower the risk a lot. Getting a flash move and then adding flash guards to the mix is amazing but most times for me it's not worth trying to do a flash move.

I know that at the end it's just a question of getting the timing down, but I tend to evade before the flash move window and put distance between the enemy. I will try to change this in future playthroughs though.

Mr.Jeff

See I couldn't find the timing for Flash Guarding. I mean I could do it but I generally found that then the opportunity to do any damage was really narrow. Considering my poor skills, I stuck to learning dodging so I could abuse the (increased) dodge window to unload attacks on them that way.

Although perhaps my troubles with guarding was due to not changing the mapping for guard and the skill button modifier...

Anyway, on the post game boss now who is certainly something. I've cheated somewhat outrageously for this and rather than levelling up, I've got a whole bunch of stat increasers and unloaded them onto Adol.

Edit: Lemme check my stats.

Mr.Jeff

This trick to it since you have flash dodge down is to always dodge the direction they swing so you are sitting inside active frames of the attack still. As seen here *spoilers for late game*
I kinda got the hang of getting them both together in the end but I found it to be:
Dodge > Begin standard attack > before it's finished immediately hit Guard/Skill and it'd activate.

Stat numbers:
Regular kills: 19206
Ancient kills: 717
Skill usage: 15437
Flash Guard: 577
Flash Move: 2312

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Stat numbers:
Regular kills: 19206
Ancient kills: 717
Skill usage: 15437
Flash Guard: 577
Flash Move: 2312

I'm still in the middle of chapter 6 but

Reg kills: 8569
Ancient kills: 354
Skills: 4313
Flash guard : 1151
Flash move: 1117

Barely got the 100 ex last night LOL I always sit on a full bar instead of just rounding stuff up and killing it all when exploring new maps like I should

Oh wow the game must be longer than I thought seeing Jeff's numbers.

^Also Qis, your flash numbers are balanced indeed, you definitely have the hang of it. I also got ex yesterday, recently I'm trying to use it more, it's a waste otherwise.

Mr.Jeff

Oh wow the game must be longer than I thought seeing Jeff's numbers.

^Also Qis, your flash numbers are balanced indeed, you definitely have the hang of it.
No, I'm just really bad and playing it in a deliberately obtuse fashion. My official play time counter is at 126 hours but that's missing about 30 or so from time lost on boss attempts that I've had to reload the following day.

Here's my stats :

Kills 13162
Ancient 702
Skill finish 6365
Flash Guards 1734
Flash moves 569

Run around like like a chicken with your head cut off, defensive magic or jump over stuff, use charged spell or mash attack in opening ... win?

origin already maxed out that combats potential with it's 3 characters imo

They just need to work on making the bosses more complex they already started to have the right idea with things in 8 on some of the bosses phases

When your characters are over the top hard to punish and super fast you need bosses that can out pace them or flatten them instantly

i mean... in 8 you don't have to do anything, they're just PV sacks, just dodge and skill the shit out of them! There's absolutely no complexity in these fight, whatever the attack is, even if it has crazy pattern, just guard or dodge at the last moment and you're A okay, and it works even for the hardest boss in nightmare!

In the old one you had to find their weak point, jump on them, use the area around you (the boss did too), using only magic attack, attacking at a distance, there was even some bullet hell boss in there

They felt all unique in some way, while in seven, celceta, VIII, aside from their design they all have to be fought the same way except some minor exception! They're still great game, and VIII is definitely the best of this trilogy, but not as fun as previous YS imo

getting the jump back after celceta and seven was good, but it felt just like they put it there just to please the fan, without any substance behind it!

Really wonder what type of gameplay they'll do next time!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Oh I know the issues with the guard system that's why I said what I said about nerfing it up top to make it more in line with the older stuff.

If they go for what the solo dana stuff was going for, give each element it's own move set of 3 or 4 skills no more no less so everything can be designed with a purpose which lets the bosses designs be a bit more intricate with clear goals and methods of defeat *like dana dungeon boss 5*, keep the pacing and speed we have now with 8. I think the game would be unquestionably the greatest game in the series as far as combat goes.

I mean it doesnt even have to be a solo game but characters need to have 4 skills and end there so there can be a more clear interesting encounter designs.

That said I definitely enjoy 8 the most out of the entire series as mastering and slaughtering the bosses in it is extremely satisfying

How do you guys recommend I remap in order to de-couple Flash Guard from the Special Move button? I want to put Special Moves on R2 and keep Flash Guard on R1, but it doesn't seem to let me remap L2 or R2.

edit: Nevermind, I looked back through the thread and saw the recommendations from earlier.

Top Bottom