• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yum Brands CEO: Pizza Hut needs to be more like Uber, convenience trumps quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paracelsus

If it wasn't for the crust that pizza looks one of those kids toy pizzas, all plastic. Well, cheese most likely is.

Madness

Yeah I'm pretty sure he's looking at the wrong customer surveys because Pizza Hut has been rubbery crap for quite some time. I'd rather eat at Domino's or even Papa John's because their pizza is better.

No kidding. Where I live, Pizza Hut barely tastes any better than Domino's and yet is also 3x the cost. Why would I stop at Pizza Hut? Additionally there is a shitload of local Punjabi pizza stores and even a few places where Italians make some of the best authentic pizza I've had. I'd rather just go there. It's not a question of easy or convenience as to why I don't eat there.

old

No, CEO, I don't buy Pizza Hut pizza because the quality is already on par with Litle Ceasar except it costs $15.

The only time I pay $15 for a pizza is when it's from a local unique that makes its own fresh dough without bullshit ingredients, uses actual cheese from a local cheese supplier (again without bullshit ingredients added), makes their own fresh sauce, and tops it all off with meats cooked right there on the premises.

I don't pay $15 for a pizza if they use frozen dough or dough that has more than 5 ingredients, uses a "cheese food" that shares ingredients with power-steering fluid, pops their sauce out of a can, and gets their meats from a factory where who knows what animals and what part of the animals went into the sausage.

I'm only willing to pay $5 for that kind if pizza and it better be hot and ready when I walk in.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Pizza Hut CEO said:
"One of the joys of being the boss, you can lock other people away," said Creed, who stepped into the CEO role this year.

Ummmmm.........

geomon

Wait, so he's saying their pizza is going to get worse? Is that even possible?

I guess it doesn't really matter. Pizza Hut has been shit since the 90's.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I open Just Eat on my phone and within a few presses have a much better, much cheaper pizza coming to my door under 20 minutes.

Pizza Hut gets so much hate on here.... best pizza there is.

Unfortunately, they've shrinkray-ed everything over the years and it costs the most. Remember how big a large was in the 80s and 90s? A large is like a medium now. Or maybe I'm crazy.

I've never had an issue with the delivery times, they have a countdown timer and everything, it's always been accurate within 5 minutes and I'm not impatient.

Faenix1

Everytime I've gone to Pizza Hut the pizza wasn't nearly as good as I remember it as years ago.

Bring back the big newyorker and I'd be there every day for it.

Things I never ever thought I'd say:

Domino's pizza is damned good.

As others have said, Domino's > Pizza Hut. I love the new redesigned Domino's pizza. Heck, I may even like Domino's over Papa John's. Sadly, my town has just about every pizza chain there is, except Hungry Howie's and Domino's. Which, surprisingly, are the two pizza chains I'd rather eat at.

Pizza Hut just needs to, and I use the infamous phrase here, "get good."

Also, I legit like frozen pizza. It often times wins over my stomach than pizza chains. It also helps that cheese pizza is my ultimate favorite type of pizza, which translates very well into the frozen realm.

jesu

I don't know how well they are doing in the UK but if they delivered to my area I'd spend a few quid.

scamander

Banned
Pizza Hut has focused on being "better"? What?! How gross will their stuff become, when they stop focussing on "quality"?

anigif_enhanced-5176-1435600245-2.gif

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have one store close to my house. Have not used them for 7 years since l last ordered a takeaway. They served me a terrible takeaway pizza that had me fuming. My local Italian pizza place trumps them with a very basic pizza menu. They don't even deliver but are very busy. A case of quality over convenience in this case.

Pizza Hut pizza is:

a.) Waaaaay too bready. It's like eating bread with some sauce on it.
b.) Sauce is too sweet.
c.) Way too greasy.
d.) You can tell it was frozen, every pie is way too uniform.

It's the only pizza that can give me a real stomach ache if I have too much.

Pizza Hut pizza is the best pizza in the world. Not even New York pizza beats it (and Domino's is the worst)

I think I'd trade some quality for convenience for delivery. But for sit downs at their locations, I can wait for god's gift to pizza!!

I'm honestly shocked at some of the replies in here. Pizza Hut rubbery? You're supposed to eat it the same day you order it, not a week later. Little Caesars can be rubbery for sure, but I've never had Pizza Hut that's rubbery. Pizza Hut is the shit. I'd order it more if it wasn't so fucking expensive compared to other outlets.

I'm trying to figure out what this is and I've got nothing.

Back to the Future 2, son.

It's just fine, inoffensive pizza. However, why order from them when even the smallest towns have superior mom-and-pop or regional chains to choose from?

Pizza Hut pizza is the best pizza in the world. Not even New York pizza beats it (and Domino's is the worst)

I think I'd trade some quality for convenience for delivery. But for sit downs at their locations, I can wait for god's gift to pizza!!

Yo, crack is wack. Just say no.

Pizza Hut is absutely shit tier pizza and on top of that, ordering a pie from them is a pain in the ass and takes WAY too long to deliver. Over an hour every time, where as dominos is 25 minutes tops in my area.

Tobor

It's crazy how many CEO's out there think Uber is the answer. Doesn't matter what the business is, "We need to be more like Uber!" is echoing out from a thousand board rooms.

Kibbles

Yeah I'm pretty sure he's looking at the wrong customer surveys because Pizza Hut has been rubbery crap for quite some time. I'd rather eat at Domino's or even Papa John's because their pizza is better.
This. I actually get sick every time I have their new pizza.

ZeroGravity

He's right. I'll almost always order Dominos over Pizza Hut despite being inferior in quality simply because it's cheaper and doesn't take two hours to fucking deliver.

I think the Dominos overhaul maybe... Didn't happen here or something. I've been hearing about how much better they are now, but when I've tried it a time or two, it seems like it's been the same old crap. There are only a few Dominos locations around here and I think they're all like, rinky dink little franchises that didn't get the memo or something. Maybe the revamp was just an east coast thing.

rhino4evr

I can't speak for everyone else, but in my neighborhood (south Florida) there are like 20 locally owned pizza places that deliver with superior pizza. Sure they probably charge $2-$5 more than Pizza Hut or Dominos but the quality difference is no comparison. I actually feel sorry for the people that either don't know better or are too cheap to order actual pizza instead of fast food garbage.

Also I thought the reason Uber is taking off is because it provides BOTH quality and convience?

Dominos has smashed the fuck out of Pizza Hut in the UK and it's not exclusively down to quality.

Dominos average delivery time in my town is 15 to 20 mins beating out every other pizza shop.
Dominos vouchers and deals are a saving grace the company I work for get everyone a Dominos once a month and the staff get it for lunch super regular.

The ordering is painless and can be done via the website or app which is great.

Pizza hut are just awful in my town currently. The food might be better in SOME areas but the awkwardness to order and the inflated price isn't worth it.

KFC in my town has moved to a ticket system like .. argos and it's awful. Place your order get a number and stand like a knob for 10 mins.

akileese

Pizza Hut sales are dropping because every single town in American has a local pizza place and they're all better than the chain ones. People pay more to support local businesses. When I lived in CT we had 5 or 6 mom and pop pizza places, one of which had been around since the 50s. All the Pizza Huts and Dominos (except for one) ended up shutting down as a result.

I can't speak for everyone else, but in my neighborhood (south Florida) there are like 20 locally owned pizza places that deliver with superior pizza. Sure they probably charge $2-$5 more than Pizza Hut or Dominos but the quality difference is no comparison. I actually feel sorry for the people that either don't know better or are too cheap to order actual pizza instead of fast food garbage.

Also I thought the reason Uber is taking off is because it provides BOTH quality and convience?

Dominos delivers way later than any of my local places. If it's 2am on a friday and I'm drunk and want pizza, dominos it is. They have their place in the pizza world. On top of that, Dominos Pan Pizza is good stuff.

Love Pizza Hut, but it's just a bit too expensive. The new menu is fun to experiment with.

Tried like six Domino's pizzas for the first time in quite awhile during their half off sale. It was fine, especially considering the price, but it was all pretty bland. Barely a step up from Little Caesar's.

Domino's does $7.99 for a 3-topping Large Mon-Thurs if you do carryout. Totally worth it.

This is why I get dominos a couple times a month. That and I kind of like dominos pizza at least compared to papa johns.

I miss the old Pizza Hut from when I was a kid. I would get those free personal pizzas from the book-it program but that was when Pizza Hut was an actual restaurant. Maybe I was just young but I felt like the pizza was so much better back then.

Might just mean dialing back on the weird novelty pizzas and flavor swirls. Always makes me laugh when I visit their front page and none of the photos look appealing because they're so bizarre.

Koomaster

Can we talk about their boxes for a moment? I haven't eaten in-store for like a decade now. Whenever I get Pizza Hutt it's always takeout. But I swear something about putting a hot pizza in their boxes makes the pizza take on a cardboard like taste/smell that is pretty sickening.

So I'm asking, if you've eaten there instore recently, do their pizzas normally taste like that or is it actually the boxes they use. And has anyone else noticed this taste/smell from the pizzas they get as takeout?

Every few months I think to try Pizza Hutt again and it's always the same. If someone at Yum Brands is reading this one day; do something about your takeout boxes please. I don't know what they are made of but it's really affecting the taste/smell of the pizza.

Can we talk about their boxes for a moment? I haven't eaten in-store for like a decade now. Whenever I get Pizza Hutt it's always takeout. But I swear something about putting a hot pizza in their boxes makes the pizza take on a cardboard like taste/smell that is pretty sickening.

So I'm asking, if you've eaten there instore recently, do their pizzas normally taste like that or is it actually the boxes they use. And has anyone else noticed this taste/smell from the pizzas they get as takeout?

Every few months I think to try Pizza Hutt again and it's always the same. If someone at Yum Brands is reading this one day; do something about your takeout boxes please. I don't know what they are made of but it's really affecting the taste/smell of the pizza.

They smell sickening normally, the box just concentrates it.

It's crazy how many CEO's out there think Uber is the answer. Doesn't matter what the business is, "We need to be more like Uber!" is echoing out from a thousand board rooms.

Well, when you abd your competitors offer the same product its all about how you offer it to customers that differentiates you. Uber took a quality service thats not unique and leveraged technology to make it easily accessible. Its like the opposite of McDonalds solution of having an app to order food. I dont think Pizza Huts problem is quality or convenience. Consumers buying habits are changing. The number of alternatives has increased.

Figured when you said in-restaurant food, you meant eating there.

I was saying that while eating inside pizza huts is quite nice, their delivery service (which is a different franchise) is disgusting, just like dominos. So I'm confused as to what they see as "quality" about their delivery service, as there is no metric in which they are better than dominos when it comes to delivery, as both are equally terrible. They seem to think dominos brings their terrible pizzas quicker though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom