• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yum Brands CEO: Pizza Hut needs to be more like Uber, convenience trumps quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sifl

Dominoes, Papa Johns, and Pizza Hut are all shit tier pizza and it doesn't matter which is worse then the other.

Rehydrated, whatever that is? Breakfast?

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE

Wait. Wait a minute. Is this what European Pizza Hut looks like?

They finally figured it out!!!

We are ready

D1BEcff.jpg

17352321511_c37c615bed_h.jpg

What they really need is to make their breakfast all day.

I don't mind Pizza Hut but it seems like their service is the worst of the big three around here. If I order from them I know it's going to be an hour wait regardless of what time it is. It never fails that it takes them that long to deliver and I'm only three miles (if that) away. Plus they don't call in regards to a delay.

Domino's and Papa Johns both make it quicker.

Edwardo

I was saying that while eating inside pizza huts is quite nice, their delivery service (which is a different franchise) is disgusting, just like dominos. So I'm confused as to what they see as "quality" about their delivery service, as there is no metric in which they are better than dominos when it comes to delivery, as both are equally terrible. They seem to think dominos brings their terrible pizzas quicker though

Oh ya I see what you're saying. I've never really found pizza hut to have great delicery either. Eating there was always much better.

Have you ever tried dominos pan pizza? It's a lot better than their regular.

RDreamer

Pizza Hut's problem for me was that they cemented themselves as a pizza restaurant and not delivery. I remember liking going there as a kid but as an adult I don't fucking sit down to "fast food" style pizza like them. A fancier local joint, sure. I'll eat chain pizza for delivery or something when I'm lazy, but whenever I tried to order Pizza Hut their delivery fucking sucked.

Nowadays my delivery of choice is Topper's as far as chain stuff goes or this local place, Glass Nickel that's pretty great.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
He's got a point, it's how Domino's steamrollered Pizza Hut in the UK and they don't even do the pan pizzas here.

Online ordering for Pizza Hut is a disaster. The app is just the website in a wrapper, it crashes and goes wrong. Sometimes you need the patience of a saint.

If you want takeaway you don't want the hassle.

FStubbs

Domino's was good for awhile around here and suddenly got much worse.
Papa John's is up and down.
Pizza Hut is usually bad.

But the crap tier would be pizzas like Little Caesar's and Jerry's. You're better off going DiGiorno at that point.

Pizza Hut's problem for me was that they cemented themselves as a pizza restaurant and not delivery. I remember liking going there as a kid but as an adult I don't fucking sit down to "fast food" style pizza like them. A fancier local joint, sure. I'll eat chain pizza for delivery or something when I'm lazy, but whenever I tried to order Pizza Hut their delivery fucking sucked.

Nowadays my delivery of choice is Topper's as far as chain stuff goes or this local place, Glass Nickel that's pretty great.

Yeah, I always seem to land right outside of their delivery range. Then again, I actually worked for Pizza Hut doing deliveries years back. We definitely had more deliveries than diners, but that wasn't saying much.

sohois

Why do CEOs do this?

"What we really need to do is be more like [popular tech company that has no relation to us]"

All that's missing is some crap about millenials.

Future

The beauty of competition. I rarely get fast pizza, but when I did it was on the dominoes app because I liked all the tracking. I'm not gonna agree that Pizza Hut quality is fantastic, but improving the fast experience will help for sure

god tier breadsticks, god tier lunch buffet, shit tier pizza.

Actually the thin crust from pizza hut is pretty ok. But i'd rather have a thin crust papa murphys if i'm going to do that. faster and fresher because you make it at home.

Pizza Hut used to be everywhere in the 90s in michigan. Don't see them as much anymore.

rhino4evr

Dominos delivers way later than any of my local places. If it's 2am on a friday and I'm drunk and want pizza, dominos it is. They have their place in the pizza world. On top of that, Dominos Pan Pizza is good stuff.

2 am pizza is a different story. As 2 am pizza is by definition fast food pizza. I'm not comparing Taco Bell at 3 am to Roccos Tacos at 8pm

Hugstable

Banned
I don't believe for a second that convenience trumps quality. There's a very good reason why I never buy Pizza from Dominios, Little Ceasers and Pizza Hut.

Still I don't think anything is as bad as Papa Johns. Even the fucking pepper is gross

Why do CEOs do this?

"What we really need to do is be more like [popular tech company that has no relation to us]"

I'm always convinced in these situations the CEO had no idea what to do so they come up with these schemes in hopes to trick the shareholders into keeping their job for a while longer.

Pizza Hut has been shit ever since they switched their menu around for this flavored crust and drizzle nonsense. Thhe quality dropped dramatically, and every single location I've been to has been skimping on incredients. They've also been skimping out on wing sauce and watering down the marinara sauce. With all that and killing off the P'Zone, they can get bent. I'll still buy taco pizza, but I don't know if they even have it anymore.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I actually really like Pizza Hut, but the amount of time it takes to get an order is not the biggest problem with Pizza Hut, the price is. For the same price as a large pizza from Pizza Hut, you can get two large pizzas from Domino's with toppings.

Why do CEOs do this?

How is Pizza Hut any different from Papa Johns or Dominos in its product? Its pizza. You put different toppings on it. They can deliver it to you for a fee. They are largely the same item. You can talk about "quality ingredients" but what makes one "quality ingredient" of better quality than the next? Uber is no different than any other cab company in that picks you up and takes you where you want to go. In how they leverage technology to reach their customers is how they set themselves apart from another company.

mcfizzle4

I feel like I'm in bizarro world with all these posts talking about how good Dominos pizza is. I fully acknowledge that I'm someone who will only pay for local chains and could be considered a twat for it, but if I had to order what chain stores I'd get a pizza from if forced to, I'd be agonizing for hours over whether the bottom of the barrel was Dominos or Toppers.
Triple order Toppers Stix is God Tier after drinking. Their pizza is always bad.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I think the Dominos overhaul maybe... Didn't happen here or something. I've been hearing about how much better they are now, but when I've tried it a time or two, it seems like it's been the same old crap. There are only a few Dominos locations around here and I think they're all like, rinky dink little franchises that didn't get the memo or something. Maybe the revamp was just an east coast thing.

I'm thinking along those same lines . The pizza that comes out of my local Dominoes doesnt taste like anything. Its not good, its not bad, its just a large, reasonably warm disc of flavorless food.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Pizza Hut IS better but it's problem isn't convenience it's that Pizza Hut is way more fucking expensive than its competition.

How is Pizza Hut any different from Papa Johns or Dominos in its product? Its pizza. You put different toppings on it. They can deliver it to you for a fee. They are largely the same item. You can talk about "quality ingredients" but what makes one "quality ingredient" of better quality than the next? Uber is no different than any other cab company in that picks you up and takes you where you want to go. In how they leverage technology to reach their customers is how they set themselves apart from another company.

Uber is very different from any other cab company that picks me up. I don't have to deal with some Uber driver flipping his shit when I want to pay with credit card, trying to lie about the credit card machine being down, begging me to at least tip in cash if I'm paying on card, etc...

Uber is very different from any other cab company that picks me up. I don't have to deal with some Uber driver flipping his shit when I want to pay with credit card, trying to lie about the credit card machine being down, begging me to at least tip in cash if I'm paying on card, etc...

Thats leveraging technology to differentiate itself from the competition. You don't have to mess around with payment. The service they provide is exactly the same - transportation.

Yeah I'm pretty sure he's looking at the wrong customer surveys because Pizza Hut has been rubbery crap for quite some time. I'd rather eat at Domino's or even Papa John's because their pizza is better.

Pizza Hut always had higher highs for me, but very poor QC so you never know what may come in the box.

Papa Johns is consistently ok, so I just go with that.

Last night when I ordered:
CV_MBLcWoAEx6l2.jpg:large

There were but 10 minutes left on that clock when the pizza arrived.

Mine was roughly the same wait. The pizza was still undercooked, almost room temperature, and the driver forgot my drink and never returned with it.

That said, I left negative feedback on corporate page's contact link and they called the next day with a full refund a $30 store credit.

So at least they are trying to fix things when they screw up.

Pizza Hut always had higher highs for me, but very poor QC so you never know what may come in the box.

Truth. A perfectly cooked Pizza Hut pizza is amazing, but the chances of getting that are too low.

Dominos new pan pizza > Pizza Hut > dead camel butthole > Papa John's.

painey

my local pizza hut sells slices for $2.50 each. Insane to pay that when you can get an entire large for $7.99, but it's been doing it for a long time

Wait a minute. The pizza they were making was supposed to be high quality before?? Worst pizza by a large chain by far. Dominos is king of the large chains now. Always hot, fresh, and they use better quality ingredients. Plus the never ending deal of 2 2 topping mediums for 5.99 each.

Pizza Hut was a lot better when I was a kid. I always enjoyed the sit down style restaurants and when the server would bring out the deep dish pan pizza in all its greasy black pan goodness. There are still some around and found one a few months back and went. Similar experience but it was very empty and our server kept getting our order wrong.

Sophia

I don't mind eating in at Pizza Hut, and I don't think their pizza is THAT bad. But their delivery just sucks compared to their competitors, and their location in my town means all the others are much closer for carryout. :\

Mortemis

Banned
"2 minutes longer"? Every time I order from them the estimated time is at least an hour while dominos is never more than 40 minutes. And there is a Pizza Hut much closer to me than a dominos.

The only pizza they have that's worth it is their bbq pizza, other wise I ain't going there.

Saroyan

Pizza Hut is garbage, if I eat more than a couple slices it makes me feel sick. And dominos isn't much better since they started slathering the crust in butter and garlic.

Not sure what pizza hut you guys go to, but around here it's much better than papa johns or dominoes.

I have quite fond memories of pizza hut in the 80's - mid 90's. Played lots of Metal Slug / other SNK games there.

Before that though our family would go to Dominoes quite a bit...

ScreenShot2014-07-08at10.13.10AM.png

styl3s

No one gets Pizza Hut by choice, unless they choose to wallow in misery and self-hatred.
If i had to choose between Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa Johns or Little Caesars i will pick Pizza Hut 1000% of the time.

Papa Johns isn't bad i sometimes get it over Pizza Hut depending on the mood but Dominos and Little Caesars is straight garbage.

I was a diehard stuffed crust guy until one day they changed their crust and it's super cheap now.

Like, the crust is paper thin. You end up paying $15 for something that barely has any substance other than the cheese part of the crust and everyone was still hungry after eating there.

I really haven't had pizza hut in like 3 years now because of that.

If i had to choose between Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa Johns or Little Caesars i will pick Pizza Hut 1000% of the time.

Papa Johns isn't bad i sometimes get it over Pizza Hut depending on the mood but Dominos and Little Caesars is straight garbage.

domino's tends to be cheaper and far superior to pizza hut. even as a company they've really turned themselves around and been able to acclimate to a social media world incredibly well, to the point where they leave all of their competitors in the dust. while pizza hut is stuck in the early 2000s with a shoddily made pizza countdown timer and a newsletter reward coupon, domino's has a fully fleshed out rewards system, an incredibly well made pizza tracker, and tons of other marketing gimmicks that showcase their technological prowess.

that being said, next time you get pizza, try a medium Personal Pan pizza from domino's. it's what convinced me how good they are and part of the reason I'm never going back to Papa John's or Pizza Hut ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom