• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yum Brands CEO: Pizza Hut needs to be more like Uber, convenience trumps quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slo

It think it's poorly stated, but I see the main point. Either go for the premium market or the dollar store market. In the middle is no man's land. Who's thinking "I want to order only-slightly shitty pizza, like 5% better quality than Dominos."

It think it's poorly stated, but I see the main point. Either go for the premium market or the dollar store market. In the middle is no man's land. Who's thinking "I want to order only-slightly shitty pizza, like 5% better quality than Dominos."

the reason they're being made fun of in this thread is that they're not really at that place either, like they seem to think they are. they are already in the dollar store market with higher prices without doing the extra stuff you need to do in that market to survive, because they think they aren't in that market even though they are. make sense?

SURGEdude

I ate my first national chain pizza in the last 5 years when a friend randomly bought Dominos. Was surprised how much improved it was. Cheap shit, but much better than I remember it. Assuming Pizza Hut hadn't progressed I can see why people would say they are in deep shit.

katagai

Last time I ordered from them was around when they changed to the new menu. The pizza was so greasy, it was starting to leak through the bottom of the box. I really like their chicken, but the pizza just turned me off completely.

jax

Banned
How about join the rest of us in 2015 and offer some gluten free and vegan options? When I want pizza I just Amazon Now/Post Mates a whole foods pizza to my house for way cheaper than some shitty ass Pizza Hut pizza.

KevinCow

Banned
What the hell bizarro world have I stumbled into where everyone is saying Domino's is better than Pizza Hut? Domino's is complete garbage!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Wait.. More like Uber?

So there'll be an app.

Where people will sign up to be pizza bakers. They'll bake the pizzas at their homes, then deliver them to their neighbors? Then The Hut will take 30% from that transaction?

Brilliant!

What the hell bizarro world have I stumbled into where everyone is saying Domino's is better than Pizza Hut? Domino's is complete garbage!

That's what I'm wondering.

I love Pizza Hut's pan pizzas.

surprisingly enough, an opinion formed over 10 years ago may not hold true today.

Have you had Domino's new pan pizza? It's pretty good in my opinion.

this^

i even went against my last post of "i'll never order from pizza hut again" and ordered from pizza hut today only to see if i was wrong like some people in this thread vehemently insist . nope, still subpar. even after a 50% off coupon, it was still almost the same price as what I usually get from Domino's, albeit with one more topping than I usually get. The pizza took over 40 minutes to arrive, whereas I've never had a Domino's order take more than 30 minutes. It wasn't too warm like Domino's was, but it wasn't cold either, just kind of room temperature. Eating it, it didn't have any of the fluffiness or yeasty goodness that Domino's has, and it wasn't even close to Domino's personal pan. On top of this, the way it was cut, each peice was completely separated before it was put in the box, so when I opened it, they weren't lined up at all and felt completely separate, which is a disappointment--half the fun of ordering a full pizza is pulling away a slice and having the gooey cheese separate in front of your eyes. The toppings weren't anything special, the flavored crust wasn't even as good as Hungry Howie's flavored crust, the sauce was distinctive but wasn't as fitting as the tomato-heavy stuff Domino's uses. Overall, it was still as bad as I remembered--far below Domino's normal, much less Domino's Personal Pan.

If anytime you're in the mood for a pizza you only eat at a chain like Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, etc., do yourself a favor and look around for a local pizza place. You will be amazed at the difference!

I don't know what it is about pizza, but a lot of times people only think about the big chains for their pizza needs, even if they appreciate a nice restaurant now and again. Don't forget that good pizza places ARE out there! And a lot of them deliver, too.

local places tend to be far, far more expensive though. people going to a chain for pizza are generally going there because it's cheap.

Rootbeer

Banned
If anytime you're in the mood for a pizza you only eat at a chain like Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, etc., do yourself a favor and look around for a local pizza place. You will be amazed at the difference!

I don't know what it is about pizza, but a lot of times people only think about the big chains for their pizza needs, even if they appreciate a nice restaurant now and again. Don't forget that good pizza places ARE out there! And a lot of them deliver, too.

Their site redesign is fucking awful, absolute garbage. You can no longer set a specific pick up time for carry out and at least with my FireFox experience several functions barely work and I've had the occasional error that's screwed up my order where my nearest PH will receive the order with either missing or the wrong ingredients listed on the ticket.

My local chains are all no better than Pizza Hut around here aside from crust get all their ingredients from the same couple bulk distributors and they charge up to twice as much.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I haven't eaten Pizza Hut in over ten years. Nor have I eaten Dominos, Papa John's, Little Caesar's, Hungry Howie's, Jets, or any of the other big deals.

Local or bust, gals and gents.

But anyway, I recognize that this isn't really the way most folks operate. I just don't think this guy has things figured out at all.

Rated-G

Like most of these chains the quality is clearly not consistent across the board because the Pizza Hut that delivers to me is pretty fantastic. Prompt delivery, no excess grease, none of this rubbery crap, breadsticks not tasting like cinnamon sticks.

Meanwhile the Domino's around here are absolutely terrible. Of the last five times I've ordered Domino's in this city I've had food poisoning twice, the other three times the pizza has been coated in the dust from their crust, leaving a mess everywhere, and I've had to eat as much as possible in one sitting because the food did not keep well for rehearing the next day like almost any other pizza would have.

I always see people dogging on Pizza Hut, but the handful of bad experiences I've had with them were limited to one specific restaurant in New Mexico, out of the maybe 30 I've tried over the past like 20 years. Domino's and Papa Johns have always been very hit or miss for me.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
They managed to make the pizza worse during the re-branding.. and they made it so coupon codes don't work with any of the deals on their webpage.. basically making any coupon codes worthless.

Honestly, the only pizza really shittier than Pizza Hut is Lil' Ceasers.

They managed to make the pizza worse during the re-branding.. and they made it so coupon codes don't work with any of the deals on their webpage.. basically making any coupon codes worthless.

Honestly, the only pizza really shittier than Pizza Hut is Lil' Ceasers.

I forgot to add that but yeah the coupon deals are almost always completely worthless. The only thing I use now are the survey codes and that's still a pain but lately I've been using the $10 Primo Meat Pizza deal since it allows stacking and remove the ingredients I don't want and replace them with the ones I do and use the code. A couple large pizzas with five toppings each for $13 isn't bad.

As for the other part, Pizza Hut in my area has the best pizza of the seven or so places I have within reasonable driving distance which might be more just how underwhelming the other places are than a compliment of Pizza Hut, four of those are local places.

Nah this thread is wrong, I much prefere Pizza Hut over dominoes and Papa Johns especially after there new menu. Stuffed Crust Pizza is the best.

They are indeed in no-man's land though. They need to either strife for the bottom or aim for the top, if your in-between your go out of business. They are clearly to expensive for the market they want.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Whatever happened to the pizza vending machines I remember being promised years ago? They were gonna be installed next to Redboxes and shit.

Pizza hut needs a vocaloid collaboration to save its flaling business. Since dominos used miku, might I sugest the superior luka?

Pizza Hut is absolutely fucking disgusting gutter trash. Same goes for most chain pizza restaurants. Go to a local mom and pop pizzeria. If there are none in your area because you live in the middle of nowhere Kansas, then just don't eat "pizza". It's not worth suffering through.

ISOM

All my neighborhood is surrounded by is Dominos and Pizza Hut doesn't deliver. Figure that out and maybe you'll get better sales CEO.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Uber's most visible improvement over cabs IS quality. Quality and convenience aren't even separate ideas.

wheapon

Pizza Hut is absolutely fucking disgusting gutter trash. Same goes for most chain pizza restaurants. Go to a local mom and pop pizzeria. If there are none in your area because you live in the middle of nowhere Kansas, then just don't eat "pizza". It's not worth suffering through.

You can always make homemade pizza... it isn't as if pizza dough is hard to create.

And some frozen pizzas aren't THAT bad. Granted, I think their unhealthiness outweighs the taste value though.

Lou Malnatti's (Chicago chain) has these awesome frozen pizzas that are actually not the worst thing in the world for your health. Relative there sends them for birthdays.

And I tend to still rank the big 3 as Papa > Dominos > Pizza Hut with Pizza Hut being a distant third. Papa Johns for some reason I just don't order, guess Dominos' online ordering got its hooks into me.

KevinCow

Banned
By the recommendation of this thread, I decided to give Domino's deep dish pizza another try tonight, and... it's still awful, just like all Domino's pizza. I'd rather have a Pizza Hut pan pizza.

GAF hyperbole and elitism at its finest.

By the recommendation of this thread, I decided to give Domino's deep dish pizza another try tonight, and... it's still awful, just like all Domino's pizza. I'd rather have a Pizza Hut pan pizza.

GAF hyperbole and elitism at its finest.

Objectively wrong. Don't see how a human being with taste buds could arrive at that conclusion.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Honestly, fucking Totino's Party Pizza's taste better than the shit I've gotten lately from Pizza Hut.

We have some great pizza in Portland.. but living out in the boonies of the outer east side sucks ass.

Tubobutts

I don't know if it's just that the Pizza Hut near me sucks but Pizza Hut is the worst of the chain pizza places. I think their actual pizza is the worst, and their delivery always takes more than an hour. They are also the most expensive.

I order it for their wings unti a Wingstop opened near me.

zer0das

Banned
The last time I went to a PIzza Hut it took them on the order of 30 minutes to give me a pizza that was already done and sitting in a box in a warmer. To add insult to injury, they also served the lady behind me her much larger order before me, and I showed up 15-20 minutes before her. Pretty sure they served her ahead of the guy behind me too, and he got there before her. I was pissed. It takes like 2-3 minutes on average for Domino's to serve me. Even on a good day Pizza Hut takes 2-3 times longer than Dominoes.

I agree. Every time a thread about chain pizza comes up here I'm so confused. Domino's is still terrible and Pizza Hut's stuffed crust pizza is still leagues better than any national chain pizza out there. Their pan pizza is average, but still better than anything Domino's puts out.

There is something about cold Pizza Hut pizza that I enjoy (and it makes me feel dirty). Their pizza is atrocious. Why anyone orders from a chain as opposed to shopping around and finding a local place that makes the style you like is beyond me.

I'm not sure they're learning the right lessons here. I thought they had a pretty good online ordering service at one point-- that was forever ago though; I don't think I've had any of Pizza Hut, Dominoes, etc. in ten years.

CEO learned a shitty lesson. Uber is popular because its convenient AND good. No one would fucking use uber if there was a 50% chance you get raped or if you got dropped off at the wrong destination half the time.

Likewise, food is ultimately food but tons of people avoid little caesars and cicis and frozen pizzas most of the time, when you absolutely need em ASAP or don't give a shit about the quality (kids birthday party!) then yeah they are perfect.

Whats really going on is all these companies/CEOs are pissed that uber is worth $20 billion+ for being a stupid marketplace for privately owned taxis, while their own companies with a ton of (relatively) expensive employees and stores and distribution chains and all that stuff is worth a fraction of Uber.

and the reality is that uber is going to come down in value rather than their own companies go up. uber is a great idea and executed nicely but end of the day its not charging enough for the service it provides, and once wall street stops financing its business model they will have to jack up prices to cover realistic fares and people will stop being so into uber when it costs $30 to go what used to cost $10.

Yeah except their pizza can't get any shittier. So good luck with whatever endeavor you're implying

Also, most CEO's are stupid as fuck, because being smart is surprisingly not a requirement of the job

They finally figured it out!!!

We are ready

D1BEcff.jpg

I almost gagged looking at that mess.

FairyD

They should have pizza food trucks that drive around making pizza and delivering them. No more brick and mortar stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom