• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yusef Mehdi Interview Regarding Kinect Removal+Future

S¡mon

Banned
People have been more satisfied with the Xbox 360 than the PS3, so in that respect people have less of a need to upgrade in the short term due to regular updates for the Xbox 360.

I still find this such a weird argument. How must I interpret this? Because to me, it reads a lot like:

"Yeah, you know. More people that have PS3s are buying PS4s because they are not as satisfied with their PS3s.
X360 owners, yeah, they are satisfied, so they are not really inclined to upgrade to the Xbox One."

It's just... so... weird to say.

Mugatu

Phil really needs to tell everyone but himself and Major Nelson to STFU.

If anything, I was originally more satisfied with the Xbox 360 than the PS3 but as time went on my mind changed thanks not only to Sony smartening up but also MS ruining the dashboard and apps with ads and generally ruining it.

saw the other thread focusing on this quote

"People have been more satisfied with the Xbox 360 than the PS3"

How do you substantiate something like that one way or the other? If he'd said more 360s were sold than PS3s, then sure. But to say people were more satisfied with one over the other is weird and seems hard to prove.

Hoodbury

How do you substantiate something like that one way or the other? If he'd said more 360s were sold than PS3s, then sure. But to say people were more satisfied with one over the other is weird and seems hard to prove.

It's a pretty simple market research question.

How satisfied are you with your Xbox 360
Strongly dissatisfied - 1................2...................3.................4..................5 - Strongly satisfied

How satisfied are you with your Playstation 3
Strongly dissatisfied - 1..............2...............3..............4...............5 - Strongly satisfied

Freeman

Banned
MS is just terrible at PR, this interview is cringe worthy. They try too hard, it feels like a robot answering questions, I guess Yoshida was wright when he said Phil Spencer was the most human guy in MS, odds are he is the only one.

Phawx

Strongly dissatisfied - 1................2...................3.................4..................5 - Strongly satisfied

Strongly dissatisfied - 1..............2...............3..............4...............5 - Strongly satisfied

Sorry guys, you can blame me for this one. I'm pretty sure I rated my satisfaction higher 360 vs. PS3

it changes with time too. in 2008 I would say 360 was more satisfying, 2013? PS3.

coldone

Now I know why no one is buying WiiU. Every one is overly satisfied with Wii. People are just playing Wii so much .. no one cared to upgrade to WiiU.

Lightning stuck today. All the questions about why Vita, Wiiu not selling well is answered.

So the lesson is keep making mediocre products like EA... so that you can keep selling them year after year.

Dunkers92

Yusef, you need to stop giving interviews.

Every time you open your mouth you undo a little but of the good work Spencer is doing with Xbox. At least Phil is admitting mistakes with their approach to the One.

People have been more satisfied with the Xbox 360 than the PS3, so in that respect people have less of a need to upgrade in the short term due to regular updates for the Xbox 360.

youre_serious_futuramlsdgx.gif

I actually was way more satisfied with my 360 than i was with my PS3, a lot of the PS3 exclusives don't speak to me so there's that.

That argument is still nonsense though, as you could also turn it against the XB1.

jaypah

It took 9 pages to close that other thread. ModBot is getting sloppy. ;)

I was so confused because the time stamps all said today but I could have sworn we already beat that horse. Anyway. Terrible interview. Not saying that "Why is Sony kicking your ass" is an easy question to answer but I have to imaging that it would be impossible for Phil to do worse. Should have got him to do it.

I Never owned a Sony product until the PS4 , I didn't jump ship for the price or for Kinect . I jumped to the better system . F-brand and game Loyalty, if you can't put out a console which is at least on-par with your competition you don't deserve my support. With Comments like this from MS I can't see me ever supporting them with my Wallet this gen.

psn

PR-Spin said:
They’re in 40+ markets, we’re in 13. People have been more satisfied with the Xbox 360 than the PS3, so in that respect people have less of a need to upgrade in the short term due to regular updates for the Xbox 360.
For years now we’ve been trying to be very customer focused

cd5060bdac1d4eab.gif

MilkyJoe

"That said, we’ve heard from a lot of our Xbox fans who say, “Hey look, I want an Xbox One, but at $499, I probably have to wait a little while before I can afford to get one.” I do think we’re going to get people now who move over, and then buy the Kinect later."

4h6y6.gif

spwolf

level of incompetence of their senior people is disturbing... and it keeps going on and on. It also shows nothing fundamentally changed at all.

Nymphae

Banned
S¡mon;111990487 said:
I still find this such a weird argument. How must I interpret this? Because to me, it reads a lot like:

"Yeah, you know. More people that have PS3s are buying PS4s because they are not as satisfied with their PS3s.
X360 owners, yeah, they are satisfied, so they are not really inclined to upgrade to the Xbox One."

It's just... so... weird to say.

In a weird way, I get it. God bless those PR bastards lol. But really, all he's saying is "Oh yeah well we were better last time."

Some bogus marketing research.

Nzyme32

I know, Forbes but it's an interview. There's some gems in there.

Yusuf Mehdi = Xbox’s Chief Marketing and Strategy Officer

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...i-explains-the-xbox-ones-split-with-kinect-2/

Thank you OP for a thread that isn't fuelled from the outset with memeish crap like someone else's thread

Anyway, I don't buy their "People are more happy with the Xbox 360 than PS3" reasoning. For a start the comparison is uncalled for and without evidence. It would have been a more trust worth response if he had simply focused on their own products. In that case, what they are really saying is "we haven't given enough reasons for people to make the jump", which also probably contains a fair few jumping to the other competitors out there.

The 40+ markets thing is a fair enough comment though. It would be useful to see the sales of the regions they both in in that regard, and then make a meaningful comparison

Do any of these guys actually think about what they are saying before they say it? I had a 360 and was so hapy with it that I traded it in for a PS4. The level of pure stupidity on offer here is simply incredible.

On what imaginary basis is he making such a ridiculous claim?

Clearly he's been cut off from the cloud because his brain is only running on a single core.

They don't really believe this right? I was a 360 gamer last gen for almost everything. Played exclusives on PS3. I loved my 360! I won't buy an XBone anytime soon and it has nothing to do with how awesome my 360 was.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Look, I understand instilling confidence in your customers (or maybe I don't) by maintaining this particular course, but it goes a long way to just say, "we were wrong" and apologize. That's all I want, and I think that's what a lot of others want as well. It would actually make me consider their product for once. But the constant back-handed comments are stupid: "[We] weren't ready" as consumers for their vision, and "[Microsoft] are all about games". Sure, the latter may seem that way now because they have no other choice and they have completely backpedalled on what the Xbox One originally was, but the former continues this insinuation that we, as consumers, are too ignorant to understand how much better a DRM future is and that they will eventually reemerge with a reconstructed vision of Xbox One in the following years that implements the same policies they unsuccessfully attempted in the last year, albeit in a more functional state.

But now I feel I should retract on what I said, because why, or how, can I expect an apology over what they wanted to do regarding DRM when it seems to suggest that they still want to do it, just not at this time?

outsida

No matter how you look at that quote its bad for Microsoft. If people are really happier with their 360's more so than people with their PS3's it means Sony did a better job of enticing their customers to upgrade. If you don't believe that silliness this looks like a very sad spin attempt. He should have kept this weakness in its holster.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

And yet in Media Create threads....the PS3 is selling at an amazing clip for a system that old. Did he also somehow miss the RRoD memo?

They’re in 40+ markets, we’re in 13. People have been more satisfied with the Xbox 360 than the PS3, so in that respect people have less of a need to upgrade in the short term due to regular updates for the Xbox 360.

A) So what's their excuse going to be when they launch in all these other markets to a completely lukewarm reception?
B) This is complete bullshit because first party support on the 360 has been tragic since 2012, while the PS3 had a very strong 2013. If anything, 360 owners thus have more reason to upgrade than PS3 owners, plus who's to say which console people would be upgrading to. Mehdi is probably very naive in assuming 360 owners will be getting an Xbone without an exception.
C) This kind of shit is contributory to why people disliked MS so much last year. They should know better.

Top Bottom