• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yusef Mehdi Interview Regarding Kinect Removal+Future

RedAssedApe

Banned

Are you going to offer any kind of ambassador program or anything like that for people who paid $500 for a system right out of the gate...or is that kind of the risk you run if you're an early adopter?

YM: "Part of what we're trying to do is really deliver value for those early purchasers, and that's part of what we're doing with some of the Games with Gold value offer that we've brought. One of the things that we did is we're bring an extra [free] game to Xbox 360. So we're always trying to reward our best fans with more services."

wut?

Lucreto

Hope he keeps quiet from now on.

Sad to see the PR bull is still there hidden under the veneer know as Phil.

I hope Phil is not a PR move just to turn things around and he works on games right the way through the generation and into the next and not abandon for the console final years like the Xbox and 360.

I sadly predict once sales hit a certain point Phil will move on to greener pastures and a suit will be back in his place.

This is me not being a fanboy I am just a very negative person. Expect the worst hope for the best is my motto. My comment on Sony are not much better.

Karak

Hope he keeps quiet from now on.

Sad to see the PR bull is still there hidden under the veneer know as Phil.

I hope Phil is not a PR move just to turn things around and he works on games right the way through the generation and into the next and not abandon for the console final years like the Xbox and 360.

I sadly predict once sales hit a certain point Phil will move on to greener pastures and a suit will be back in his place.

This is me not being a fanboy I am just a very negative person. Expect the worst hope for the best is my motto. My comment on Sony are not much better.
Phil is insanely long term at MS(1988 start date) through thick and thin and almost always in game dev, except right at the start. I would be surprised, but that is life, if he left. He has seen some serious shit and now he is in charge of the entire division. The dude has some of the best gaming chops as a hardware division league that can be found.

Gurrry

Dat arrogant spin.

What do you expect him to say?

"Yeah we really fucked up at launch, what the fuck were we thinking? Bundling Kinect in every console box? Just fire me now".

Its called taking the political approach. Its the right move to make.

Boy this guy is really bad at his job. How are MS execs also so soulless and robtotic in their language? Too much company kool aid?

Keirnoth

Banned

"Yeah we really fucked up at launch, what the fuck were we thinking? Bundling Kinect in every console box? Just fire me now".

When everyone knows you're lying instead of admitting you fucked up, everyone stops believing you.

Just like politics.

Lucreto

Phil is insanely long term at MS(1988 start date) through thick and thin and almost always in game dev, except right at the start. I would be surprised, but that is life, if he left. He has seen some serious shit and now he is in charge of the entire division. The dude has some of the best gaming chops as a hardware division league that can be found.

It will be hard for him to prove himself if people like this PR guy is still around reminding people of the old xbox.

Then Elop who watches over Xbox, mobile and surface division wanting to prove himself as well but I expected they have an agreement on the directionthey will take.

the_champ

Banned
Microsoft is made up of people, and Yusuf still seems to be touting the same philosophies and ideals. They've definitely improved with some of the restructuring like putting Spencer at the helm, but Yusuf still seems adamant and on the same course. I kind of respect him for it, despite how much I may disagree. Yusuf is a remnant of the dark times.

well, well.. "dark times" its a bit exaggerated... :p

fallingdove

Mehdi is an idiot, and this bullshit spin is offensive.

All they had to say was - we wanted to give consumers another option when purchasing a console. Instead we get - we always listen to fans (bullshit), people are more satisfied with Xbox than playstation (bullshit) and we are not really behind in sales (bullshit).

This is why I have little faith in Phil Spencer. Replacing one guy doesn't offset the horrible four - Mehdi, Greenberg, Penelo, and Major Nelson.

Welfare

blazeuk

Completely dodged the question and made himself look foolish in the process, should have just said "No.", instead of rambling on about GwG offerings that have nothing to do with what was asked (it's not even available for the XB1 yet which makes it even more laughable).

Hey amigo, PS3 outsold your great 360 worldwide, what are you talking about?

Always chuckle when people make this argument. So what? The rest of the markets that the 360 is in, and the Xbox One isn't, still factor into the overall sales performance of the platform. They factored positively for the 360, so why wouldn't they also factor positively for the Xbox One? It doesn't matter that the 360 got most of its sales from the USA, UK or wherever else the system is strongest. So, it's not an insignificant thing when they say that they are not yet released in all these other markets compared to their competition, or even compared to the 360. They may pull in smaller numbers per region, but those region's numbers add up all the same.

That said, removing Kinect is a decision I will always view as incredibly foolish until proven otherwise.

Raist

Banned
Always chuckle when people make this argument. So what? The rest of the markets that the 360 is in, and the Xbox One isn't, still factor into the overall sales performance of the platform.

Well maybe not that much because people are still happy with their 360 and don't feel the need to upgrade, you see.

AmyS

Forbes: Can you say how long this unbundling announcement has been in the works?

Mehdi: Over the last couple months we’ve been having discussions about how we can continue to iterate on the program.

Does it have anything specifically to do with the recent change in leadership with Phil Spencer taking over?

Not really, for years now we’ve been trying to be very customer focused, looking to our fans and taking their feedback. You can track all the way back to E3, where after we got out we had a lot of good feedback about how you can play games, used games, and online connectivity. We’ve been very responsive, and this is consistent with that approach.

They really didn't have much of a fucking choice.

Always chuckle when people make this argument. So what? The rest of the markets that the 360 is in, and the Xbox One isn't, still factor into the overall sales performance of the platform. They factored positively for the 360, so why wouldn't they also factor positively for the Xbox One? It doesn't matter that the 360 got most of its sales from the USA, UK or wherever else the system is strongest. So, it's not an insignificant thing when they say that they are not yet released in all these other markets compared to their competition, or even compared to the 360. They may pull in smaller numbers per region, but those region's numbers add up all the same.

That said, removing Kinect is a decision I will always view as incredibly foolish until proven otherwise.

The XBox One is already in 2nd tier countries via imports and no one is buying them. Officially releasing the console in 2nd tier countries will do nothing because the people in those countries who wanted to get an XBox One already got one. And how the sales are geographically distributed is very important because it affects the diversity of a console's library depending on the userbase's tastes. That was one of the reasons why the PS3 overtook the 360 in the first place because Sony appealed to gamers who liked genres outside of shooters.

Diagol

Forbes: Can you say how long this unbundling announcement has been in the works?

Mehdi: Over the last couple months we’ve been having discussions about how we can continue to iterate on the program.

Does it have anything specifically to do with the recent change in leadership with Phil Spencer taking over?

Not really, for years now we’ve been trying to be very customer focused, looking to our fans and taking their feedback. You can track all the way back to E3, where after we got out we had a lot of good feedback about how you can play games, used games, and online connectivity. We’ve been very responsive, and this is consistent with that approach.

They really didn't have much of a fucking choice.

That whole interview was so freaking....fake. It was so hard to read, let alone take seriously.

Really, the only reason why they made these changes is because they're getting their asses kicked. I can't wait to see the NPD numbers for April (because let's be honest, Titanfall did way below what they were expecting). They were completely destroyed at E3 last year, and this is all the result of that.

The damn system has only been out for 6 months (and in some Countries, it's not even out yet) and they've already experienced a major price drop.

x-Lundz-x

Admitting they were wrong would be a start. You know, maybe approach it with a bit more humility. This guy just comes off as a major prick. I'm not saying he is, maybe he is a great guy, but he come off really bad and this interview is just another example.

Amir0x

Banned
oh boy not the "but the xbone is in less territories" excuse.
how many sales do you expect in these regions.

It's so funny, but it's beautiful in its spinful elegance. Think how many laymen will read that article, who have no clue about sales distribution in territories, and think he made a smart point about the sales gap between PS4 and XBO.

If you say so! lol.

Mehdi: Over the last couple months we’ve been having discussions about how we can continue to iterate on the program...

ask a simple question, get a gibberish answer :) ...

'iterate on the program' = 'make the xbone more like the ps4'...

oh boy not the "but the xbone is in less territories" excuse.
how many sales do you expect in these regions.

no doubt. if those region were important to MS and the Xbox brand they would have launched there. it's not like they had a shortage of consoles.

prwxv3

It's so funny, but it's beautiful in its spinful elegance. Think how many laymen will read that article, who have no clue about sales distribution in territories, and think he made a smart point about the sales gap between PS4 and XBO.

The 360 selling about half its world wide total in the US alone should tell you where the xbox brands strongest market it. And even destroying the PS3 in the UK and US the PS3 still caught up do to its world wide brand strength. How is it possible for the Xbone to catch up the the PS4 world wide when its not currently destroying the PS4 in its strongest markets.

hoos30

Folks are going out of their way to be offended here. PR guy is spinning to a business magazine but from reading this thread one would think he was killing babies.

This interview was cringe-worthy. Sigh.

never forget:

And the negativity? Well, it may not matter so much to Microsoft. Sure, core gamers complain, but the folks who don't really pay attention and who just want a fancy box will be fine with Microsoft's Xbox One. "In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details," said Mehdi. "We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points."...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124970-Microsofts-Yusuf-Mehdi-We-Need-To-Educate-Consumers

he's always 'listened to the fans'... unless, of course, he figured he could just pull a fast one on'm...

ms needs to hide this clown away somewhere...

Completely dodged the question and made himself look foolish in the process, should have just said "No.", instead of rambling on about GwG offerings that have nothing to do with what was asked (it's not even available for the XB1 yet which makes it even more laughable).
"We have a product for people who feel they are being treated unfairly on Xbox One, its called Xbox 360"

Lrrr

I actually find it remarkable that 20% of people are actively choosing not to hook up the Kinect

This is a point everyone misses. Using Yusef's own numbers, this means when the XB1 eventually sells through its five million units (to consumers), one million of them will not use the Kinect even though they paid for it.

YM: I think in five years, we will laugh at any computing device you can’t walk up to and talk to.

This sounds like one of those misguided futurist quotes from the 1980s.

In attempting to underscore that MS is still dedicated to Kinect, he went way overboard with the rhetoric. All he had to say was, "We strongly believe in the Kinect vision, and we think the value it brings, in addition to the amazing Kinect game titles in development, will lead to it having a strong attach rate."

demigod

But phil just told ign that this was in the works since a year ago. Who is telling da truth, phil or yusef?!?

Top Bottom