• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yusef Mehdi Interview Regarding Kinect Removal+Future

spinning.gif

You spin me right round, baby
Right round like a record, baby
Right round round round...

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
So, instead of just price matching they decide it's in everyone's interest to remove it. Microsoft Xbox - System of backtracking

tokkun

The XBox One is already in 2nd tier countries via imports and no one is buying them. Officially releasing the console in 2nd tier countries will do nothing because the people in those countries who wanted to get an XBox One already got one. And how the sales are geographically distributed is very important because it affects the diversity of a console's library depending on the userbase's tastes. That was one of the reasons why the PS3 overtook the 360 in the first place because Sony appealed to gamers who liked genres outside of shooters.

Isn't it important to buy a localized console due to the voice recognition software?

demolitio

He should really get into politics as a press secretary or something. Everything he says sounds like something Baghdad Bob would say in his position.

There's a fine line between telling a positive message and completely fabricating bullshit to make it sound positive even though it's too absurd to be believed by anyone and comes across as either insulting or humorous.

Anyway, they really should have kept the Kinect in at $399 even if they have to lose money for quite a bit because that was at least a differentiator that adds value over your competition who has better hardware at the same price point and can easily bundle games for a bigger value difference. It's also going against everything they said earlier about the Kinect being integral to the system and how the interface works best with it which now just becomes another backtrack and might turn devs off from developing for the Kinect since it's now just another peripheral that not everyone will have.

Are the menus easy to use with a controller I hope? I imagine that was just them hyping up the Kinect and that it's easy to use without it or else that's another issue.

$h@d0w

Sounds like to me there's a huge division in the Xbox department and Phil Spencer won - good for us, bad for Television people like Yusef (and Matrick).

Not really, for years now we’ve been trying to be very customer focused, looking to our fans and taking their feedback. You can track all the way back to E3, where after we got out we had a lot of good feedback about how you can play games, used games, and online connectivity. We’ve been very responsive, and this is consistent with that approach.

Oh god this spin. It's reaching critical levels at this point.

This guy spins masterfully.

This part had me in tears.

I think there are four main areas in terms of how ours system is differentiated. First is that the reason people buy these consoles is to play games. We’ve got the best games line-up. We had the best games line-up this past holiday if you talk to most experts in the games industry

I'm curious who these industry experts are.

I also like the part about how 80% of people are using Kinect. Well, it's required ya know? The other people just aren't using the console.

He probably meant you need Kinect to film yourself and/or to comment while recording gameplay.
I guess you could use the headset's microphone to record you voice alongside gameplay. I don't own an xbox one but at this point is it possible to record gameplay just using the controller, without telling the kinect to do that?

Quasar

Maybe they should have just included a mic in the controller. Would have been cheaper and offered most of the non game functionality.

Leflus

Nooo, bring Yusef out there front and center. It'll be wonderful. :D
Eh. Yusuf wasn't half-bad at last year's E3 conference.

Don't expect a lot of emberrasing moments if he shows up.

He shouldn't be allowed to do interviews, though. That's a sentiment that I can agree with.

CLEEK

Maybe they should have just included a mic in the controller. Would have been cheaper and offered most of the non game functionality.

How would that have allowed Mehdi's baby of targeted Kinect ads? The Xbone was designed around the Kinect. Common sense ideas like making it optional from the start, or controller mics have no place in the original always online, always watching vision of the console.

indie24

MS can't catch a break at the moment. Even if they state facts that PS4 is in more markets at this present time some have issues with this. I am just waiting for E3 to see whether MS will lose the plot or not.

I'm not buying into the messiah image some are projecting onto Spencer. It seems like MS is putting him up there as the "new face", but he's been there before, he's seen the shit unfold. This doesn't mean that he should shoulder responsibility; conversely, it also means he shouldn't get all the credit for the right moves being done now, moves that were happening anyway after the clusterfuck that was last year.

MS can't catch a break at the moment. Even if they state facts that PS4 is in more markets at this present time some have issues with this. I am just waiting for E3 to see whether MS will lose the plot or not.

There's no plot to lose, since all they'll do is present the games. They're guaranteed to come out of it as winners.

Dude needs to go back to market Windows or Office or whatever he did before he joined the Xbox division. He will forever be associated with the TV TV TV mantra they kicked around until Phil came to the rescue.

Foffy

Banned
Customer focused? Despite the fact Xbox One had the worst reveal of any consumer game machine? Despite the fact they went ham on anti-consumer policies?

This spin is making me ill. How in the fuck do these people manage to contain themselves in this bullshittery?

With the whole gameplay recording thing, didn't you need to tell your Xbox to start recording since there was no dedicated Share button? If they don't have headset commands, wouldn't that mean that you can't record gameplay?

Some great news today for the XB1. But they have to try and fuck it up with that PR

smh

It's amazing how terrible Microsoft's (at least with XBox) PR has been in the past 16 months.

They can't just give good news and walk away. They can't just allow a perceived positive change to speak for itself. They have to follow it up with intelligence-insulting bullshit like Phil Harrison and Mehdi spew.
It can't just be "Hey, we misjudged the market. We lost touch with the consumers. We made mistakes. Give us another chance. Allow us to correct these mistakes. We will earn your trust back!" Instead it's bullshit like "the people simply aren't ready for our vision" or "well, we've always been in touch with our audience... not sure what happened here".

Spencer still has an uphill battle with clowns like Mehdi around.

Lima

I guess you could use the headset's microphone to record you voice alongside gameplay. I don't own an xbox one but at this point is it possible to record gameplay just using the controller, without telling the kinect to do that?

Yes you can. Snap GameDVR and select manual record or select to save the last 30 seconds that were recorded up to 5 minutes.

npm0925

Yusuf's almost as bad as Penello and his imaginary "technical fellow." Shut these people up, Microsoft; you're making yourselves look foolish.

That was some amazing spin, that was. Better games is subjective, but that whole listening to their fans thing is a crock of shite. They weren't selling and came to grips with the fact that people were going to buy a fair bit less of their forced bundle than what a competitor offers.

I think it's great that they separated the Kinect from the main platform and it in fact DOES give consumers an option that many (I assume) will choose. But to say that they're listening vs. they're reacting given their earlier stance on the issue is a bit silly.

Anion

Yes, you can use the mic to record your voice. I'm pretty sure

When I read this interview I continuously have think about Phil's notworthy insight: "I'd rather deal with the controversy of what we're doing, and have an above-table conversation about that topic, rather than trying to sugar-coat it with some other news."

But maybe it is just not Yusef's job?

Top Bottom