• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yusuf Mehdi: In the long run our console will win

Cause SONY did not blow there load...

That is bad news to me, the only game that made me want to get an XBONE was DR3 and after hearing some of its news( cod crowd) I was put off a bit.
If this is what they will offer for the next year or two, then I guess I won't get a XBONE for a while.

You know, I actually hadn't thought of that. This is what happened to the 360. They had a decent amount of interesting exclusives for a few years. But after about 3 years or so, they pretty much stopped and only release Halo/Gears/Forza/Fable. And it seems like that might happen again.

Sony and Nintendo have always been good about supporting their systems all the way through. And Sony has been really good constantly introducing new IPs and supporting the older system even when the new one is out.

I'd never be worried about Sony or Nintendo supporting their system, but MS is a different story if this gen is any indication.

meppi

Well not in my home, that's for sure.

I understand that there are moments when you want to have the physical product, as with children at Christmas, you do not have patience to download. Each country is different, with their customs, and other connections, so we decided to leave.
What the flying fuck?

I love the way his response is just so casual. "Just use a mobile" to make sure your videogame machine will allow you to play the videogames that you've purchased.

At no point have they explained any benefit as to why this connection is mandatory.

In fact, Arthur Gies is the first person that I've heard explain what the cloud can be doing to benefit development. On Weekend Confirmed he mentions that games will have entire AI portions outsourced and computed on the cloud leaving the machine to handle other tasks. How much of that is true is beyond me, but that is the first example that I've heard that didnt sound like complete bull shit.

0% of it is true. In any case that has absolutely nothing to do with the 24 hour check. The 24 hour check, like MS has stated numerous times, is nothing more that a quick, few kb check to determine whether you still own your game or not. It's nothing more than DRM and has nothing to do with any potential cloud computing.

The benefit to the consumer is not having to insert the disc every time you want to play the game, which I personally thing is nice, since I'm over changing discs, but should have been optional to avoid all this clusterfuck.

SiRatul

Didn't Sony already prove this generation that on the long run they are the ones who actually win? How can MS be so confident in thinking that they have the lead when it comes to launch games while most of Sony's top of the line studios didn't even show anything so far? Those studios are after all one of the main reasons why the PS3 is overtaking the 360 which after some really great games stopped delivering quality stuff halfway through this generation.

I'm hearing a bunch of suits from MS talk about things they seemingly know little about (read: do these guys even play games?), trying to steer people in another direction, and complety losing the audience in the process. If they knew what was best for them they would just zip their mouths, because everything they are saying people can see through easily.

Shinta

Banned
You know, I actually hadn't thought of that. This is what happened to the 360. They had a decent amount of interesting exclusives for a few years. But after about 3 years or so, they pretty much stopped and only release Halo/Gears/Forza/Fable. And it seems like that might happen again.

Sony and Nintendo have always been good about supporting their systems all the way through. And Sony has been really good constantly introducing new IPs and supporting the older system even when the new one is out.

I'd never be worried about Sony or Nintendo supporting their system, but MS is a different story if this gen is any indication.
Exactly. Just look at how much PS3 is still getting.

Vashetti

Banned
Why don't they fuck off with this 24 hour connection thing. The point isn't just whether or not I have a decent connection, I just want to play the game I paid for without being treated like a suspected criminal.

Congratulations, you have earned the double whammy of a tag and avatar quote:

Red Liquorice
needs to check himself
(Today, 04:14 PM)
image.php

winstano

I love the "Just use a mobile" argument... Hasn't it been confirmed that you need to have the latest versions of any software/OS etc to play anything on the console? So... Big OS update/day 1 patch/title update for a game can't be downloaded, you can't play it any more if you're "just using your mobile"...

Thanks Yusuf!

c0de

I love the "Just use a mobile" argument... Hasn't it been confirmed that you need to have the latest versions of any software/OS etc to play anything on the console? So... Big OS update/day 1 patch/title update for a game can't be downloaded, you can't play it any more if you're "just using your mobile"...

Thanks Yusuf!

Eh, game-discs included os-updates this gen. Why not next-gen? Good luck playing a ps3-game now with a console from 2007, never updated.

We do need to remember that a lot of the "exclusive " titles that MS showed were only trailers and if my years of gaming and film loving have taught me anything, it is to not judge the quality of a game based off a trailer alone (especially from Insomniac). One thing I did like about Sony's launch lineup is that they showed alot of games that were actually playable. I have both systems reserved but just by looking at the games available in the launch window, I'm actually worried about these promises MS is trying to get their fans to buy. Most of the titles that they actually showed gameplay for were actually available on PC as well. I'm not going to count MS completely out but I am a tad bit worried.

BlueEagle44

Neo Member
I don't get where this apparent indie support is coming from on the MS side, minecraft devs don't really count as indie these days, and I wouldn't quite count the devs of WoT as indie with their success. The games showcased for PS4, they were indie.

Forever

Banned
500full.jpg

You're missing the point. There's no throne, there is no version of this where you come out on top. Maybe your Xbone launches and maybe it's too much for us but it's all on you. Because if we can't protect the gaming industry, you can be damned well sure we'll avenge it.

Evenbillybob

Neo Member
Eh, game-discs included os-updates this gen. Why not next-gen? Good luck playing a ps3-game now with a console from 2007, never updated.

Sure they can put OS-updates on the disc. But that only works for brand new games, if you haven't bought a new game in some time, you are basically out of luck. Then you are going to need to update through your Cell phone.

Shaikh

Banned
Yes. Microsoft will still fight for X1. Great time ahead for PC gamer like me. Watch two consoles fight each other. PC watch standing beside. :D

Nocturno999

Sony survived this generation mostly thanks to its 1st party studios. MS doesn't even have much unless they keep burning millions on timed exclusives...

Now they keep saying that they have more exclusives but they pretty much abandoned the 360 already while Sony keeps releasing great titles for its current console.

Jomjom

Banned

Despite what Major Nelson has said, there will be little to no MS presence at TGS. PS4 will have a huge presence there where I am sure there will be many Japanese exclusive games shown there. Obviously Sony needed to save some of their games for TGS as well as Gamescom. MS won't even be available to many of the countries served by TGS and Gamescom.

c0de

Sure they can put OS-updates on the disc. But that only works for brand new games, if you haven't bought a new game in some time, you are basically out of luck. Then you are going to need to update through your Cell phone.

But what does it change to now? How would the box know there is an update if it's not online?
And:
Did he actually mean tethering? To me it sounded like you can use an app (perhaps smartglass?) which also has your account details and sync with it.

The Wii was pretty poor in terms of first party support frequency for a while.

Evenbillybob

Neo Member
But what does it change to now? How would the box know there is an update if it's not online?
And:
Did he actually mean tethering? To me it sounded like you can use an app (perhaps smartglass?) which also has your account details and sync with it.

It would know when it has to check in. And if you use your phone or some app to check, how are you going to update?
For new games it would not be a problem, they could very well have the OS-update on the disc.

And I'm sure he meant being able to just use your 3G or 4G from the phone to do the check in. That would make the most sense, in my mind at least.

Limanima

In the long run things only can get worse for MS. Just look at PS3/XBox. Sony keeps pumping great exclusives on the PS3 and the PS4 is just around the corner.
Sony has just too many first party devs. MS can't compete in this department. How much money hating would be needed?

You know, I actually hadn't thought of that.
Here are Sony's studios and partners, which are definitely working on unannounced PS4 titles:

-Naughty Dog
-Sony Santa Monica
-Sony San Diego
-Quantic Dream
-Sony London
-Media Molecule
-Guerilla Games

Maybe even Sony Bend and London could have multiple teams working on PS4 stuff as well. All in all I expect roughly 9 PS4 titles from these alone. Combined with the stuff we already know about this adds up to 14 Sony published titles. This is just first party and established second party.
Then there is still the possibility that they are working with other second party studios as well that we don't know about yet and PSN only stuff. All in all 20 Sony published PS4 titles in the first year sounds pretty realistic.

Yusuf Mehdi... love this guy
Haha

17 of those are not exlusive. Unless he meant exclusive to MS consoles then yeah

Microsoft lives in a world where exclusive and exclusive to a MS console mean the same thing.

Also if they think they're fooling anyone by paying for 3rd party timed exclusives and passing them off as 1st party exclusive... a mess

That's exactly what they think.

last 3 years of 360 life had little to no exclusives or support from them. Supporting your console in the beginning is normal.

The results will show after launch

History will repeat itself.

Caddle

For all this talk about microsoft coming in 3rd yet no one shows any proof. Sony would like to have traded places with microsoft and you can count on that, as the old saying goes, show me the money.

Top Bottom