• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yusuf Mehdi: In the long run our console will win

Its not going to bomb lol

because less competition would be a good thing right?

keep seeing people say it's going to bomb not sure if it's wishful thinking or some kind of unique understanding of things - yeah it has lots of shitty policies but I still think it will do okay it just won't perform as well as PS4.

maltrain

We unveiled 20 titles for Xbox One, of which 17 are exclusive to this console. I do not think Sony can say the same. What I hear is that before launching we are better positioned, with a complete value proposition. With the installed Skype voice service and Kinect motion sensor included. No point in winning a show, because the test will be the consumer. In the long run our console will win.

Come on... is this for real?

If you think about it, Sony has been very smart launching PS4.

On E3, they knew they would win the show only with the "no DRM" and "pro consumer" speech. The price was a BIG bonus after seeing Microsoft show. They didn't need to show everything and, in fact, they made a long show showing ONLY ONE new first party exclusive on stage (The Order: 1866) if I'm not mistaken.

But, Sony executives has been clear: the "war" is not over. And we have another big event incoming: Gamescon in august. What can Microsoft show there? Do they have more big exclusives titles? I doubt it. In fact, I think it'll be hard for them to explain some of their DRM rules on Europe, where law is very hard on that kind of thing... or the launch in some countries, leaving a lot of them behind.

And I can bet Sony is still holding some big guns. Starting with the launch date (that could be another KO if they released it on october), I'm pretty sure we'll see this time something from european studios and, of course, the new game from Naughty Dog.

And, of course, we still have Tokyo Game Show in september, where I can bet Japan Studio will launch their own big titles for PS4 and maybe we'll have news about games like Persona 5. Microsoft? Well... good luck going to Japan without JRPGs on the catalog and launching the console "late 2014".

In fact, we don't know how many of this exclusive games (17? right...) will have Xbone on launch. I bet today PS4 will have at least the double of them on launch.

History will repeat itself.

I think the lack of exclusive core games on the 360 toward the end of the cycle that weren't named Halo/Gears was due to three factors: 1) Some games they paid third parties to make either didn't live up to expectations (Too Human, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey) or did but the company was acquired (Mass Effect); 2) Microsoft released Kinect and immediately realized that they were going to have to entirely support the development of that platform because no one else was going to; and 3) By the time they had invested enough in internal teams to get back to core gaming, the Xbox One was already on the drawing board.

I don't think the Xbox One is going to see the same cycle because, I believe, they learned a lesson from funding Mass Effect and having it snatched out from under them. They needed stronger internal teams to create great games that can't be taken from them.

In essence, they are trying their hand at Sony's internal games strategy. How successful they are at it remains to be seen.

Top Bottom