• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack and Wiki for $7.96 @ Toys R Us

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
WORLDWIDEWII said:
I JUST PICK UP 22 COPIES OF Z&W. no kidding.
They're selling on Amazon for about $15. The profit margin is going to be really slim. Unless you are planning on just giving them away to game-starved Wii owners.

Ptaaty

Ok...wow. This game completely rocks and my fiancee, her daughter and I are all hooked. Lame for the first little bit (tutorial) then amazing.

Anyway buy it, awesome value, and play more than the tutorial and first level or two.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
and the funniest thing about those unfamiliar with the genre and reluctant to try z&w at the symbolic price of $8 is that they have not idea what they're missing altogether. imagine if there was only one shmup left today - those people refusing to try it out would be missing on a fundamental game genre. well, naysayers, that's how it is with you and z&w, but of course you can't see it. please, don't get me wrong - i, personally, am fine with your loss, i just meant to make you too aware of it.

@alkaline: you missed a great deal of e3 fun : )

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Thanks for this info, GAF. I bought it, and I love it so far.

Is it true that Resident Evil 4 Wii is also eight bucks? My TRU didn't have any copies, but I remember someone saying something like that...

~Dac

Sadist

ivysaur12 said:
I payed full price, and it was completely worth it.
Me too.

But damn, America has some sweet pricecuts. I mean, eventually in Europe we have those kinds TWO YEARS AFTER THEIR RELEASE. Ahum. Anyway, Z & W is still € 45 back here and it will stay that way because it seems Capcom isn't printing as much copies now. :(

I feel bad that I waited for so long to get this game, but I just picked it up when I was near TRU after remembering this thread. I can't believe it's so ridiculously low-priced. I'm going to start it right now. =)

fresquito

I'm replaying the game right now. THis time I'm trying to get everything and the most HQ. I'm having a blast. Awesome, awesome title. ONe of the best this generation.

Teknoman

Danthrax said:
Thanks for the clarification. If the Bonelich is optional then that's not so bad. I know what you mean about OCD kicking in and needing to complete games. =P

@Yaweee: An 87 is pretty good, but I haven't really heard why this is game is so love/hate. From what I gather, people hate it because:
- The waggle is unnecessary and poorly executed
- It's hard and the character can die
- You can score more loot with a dead version of the Samba monkey, but it's optional
- The main character doesn't really go where you want him to when you "click" on a place in the world
- It's too "teh kiddie"
- Many of the puzzles are trial and error, they don't require logic

Of all those criticisms, only the first and last sound dealbreaking to me.

The reasons people like this game:

- It's an adventure game, you never see those anymore!
- It's a Capcom game, who doesn't love Capcom?
- It's a Wii game, but it isn't a minigame collection for once!
- It had terrible sales, it deserves your money and love!

And those reasons range from fairly compelling (the first couple) to fairly weak (the last couple).

I'm still on the fence. $4 per gallon is a lot to spend when driving to the mall and back.

Wait a minute. The motion controls arent pointless and definatly arent poorly executed.

Also the music is awesome.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
it's hard to believe i paid more for some wii ware game than i did for this one. toys r us is really insane for going this low. why'd they do that?

blu

mattiewheels said:
it's hard to believe i paid more for some wii ware game than i did for this one. toys r us is really insane for going this low. why'd they do that?
clearance sale.

Linkhero1

mattiewheels said:
Well I'm guessing they have tons just sitting on store shelves. Clearance is the only way for them to get rid of the stuff quickly I guess. I'm glad I got my copy before they run out.

Yaweee

mattiewheels said:

Clearance. It is better for total profits to quickly sell an item at a loss than it is to have it use up shelf space until it sells at a higher price (assuming it ever does).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Yaweee said:
Clearance. It is better for total profits to quickly sell an item at a loss than it is to have it use up shelf space until it sells at a higher price (assuming it ever does).
i kinda figured this, but still......with all the crap on the wii shelf that probably never moves, this game was like less than half the price of this. whatever.

fresquito

Danthrax said:
Thanks for the clarification. If the Bonelich is optional then that's not so bad. I know what you mean about OCD kicking in and needing to complete games. =P

@Yaweee: An 87 is pretty good, but I haven't really heard why this is game is so love/hate. From what I gather, people hate it because:
- The waggle is unnecessary and poorly executed
- It's hard and the character can die
- You can score more loot with a dead version of the Samba monkey, but it's optional
- The main character doesn't really go where you want him to when you "click" on a place in the world
- It's too "teh kiddie"
- Many of the puzzles are trial and error, they don't require logic

Of all those criticisms, only the first and last sound dealbreaking to me.

The reasons people like this game:

- It's an adventure game, you never see those anymore!
- It's a Capcom game, who doesn't love Capcom?
- It's a Wii game, but it isn't a minigame collection for once!
- It had terrible sales, it deserves your money and love!

And those reasons range from fairly compelling (the first couple) to fairly weak (the last couple).

I'm still on the fence. $4 per gallon is a lot to spend when driving to the mall and back.
- Waggle is necessary and adds to the experience. It suffers some slight detection problems. It doesn't happen all the time. In fact it's not a common thing.
- Yes, it's hard and characters dies. Many times. However there're extra-lives that you can buy to start from where you died and tiquets to ask what to do next.
- I like the music minigames. You can totally skip them, but I enjoy playing them. Specially when you gotta play classic Capcom tracks, like the main theme of Gn'G.
- It's not too kiddie. Only a kid will tell you such a thing.
- Not many of the puzzles are trial an error. There're some that are. But from 50 stages, it's maybe three to five stages that suffer from such a thing. Maybe the ones saying it's too much trial and error should think twice before acting.

The positive things are many:
- It's got amazing charm.
- The game sounds and looks great.
- The level design is very intelligent and the structure of the game lends itself to enjoy the experience over the long run.
- There're lots of unlockables.
- THis game is a fucking jewel. There's no need to explain much more.

If anyone here is a fan of classic Looney Toons or Who Framed Roger Rabbit, you'll love this game. The entire opening gave me a wonderful flashback to Roger Rabbit, especially, cause you have these cutesy cartoon characters laughing about the main character plummeting to his death. It's fantastic, and that flavor is retained throughout the game. Really dark humor behind bright colors.

DJ_Tet

Banned
fresquito said:
I'm replaying the game right now. THis time I'm trying to get everything and the most HQ. I'm having a blast. Awesome, awesome title. ONe of the best this generation.

How does the game hold up through multiple playthroughs?

I'm about 5 levels in and on my first difficult level. It's a fun diversion and a couple of the puzzles have been pretty clever so far. Definitely a game worth the price if you can find it.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
I bought Zack & Wiki for 99:- at mediamarkt here in Sweden and I also found Nights & Dewy's Adventure for the same price. Normal price for Wii games are 500-600:-.

So awesome!

blu

Dimmuxx said:
I bought Zack & Wiki for 99:- at mediamarkt here in Sweden and I also found Nights & Dewy's Adventure for the same price. Normal price for Wii games are 500-600:-.

So awesome!
you're in for a treat. just remember:

* for some people, z&w starts as a slightly annoying interactive anime - that is not representative of the actual game. at all.

* dewy's adventure is an old-school skill-based platformer - don't expect to get the hang of its controls right away - invest time mastering them, and the game will reward you tenfold.

Shahadan

Am I the only one to feel a strong Megaman Legends vibe in the setting and dialogue? I can't picture the enemy pirate girl otherwise than "Tron Bonne 2". Even the goons remind me of the yellow bots.

fresquito

DJ_Tet said:
How does the game hold up through multiple playthroughs?

I'm about 5 levels in and on my first difficult level. It's a fun diversion and a couple of the puzzles have been pretty clever so far. Definitely a game worth the price if you can find it.
Well, my first polaythrough was when the game was released in the US. I played to beat the game. Now I'm playing to get the most HQ and unlock all the secrets and prizes. There're tons of secrets in this game, and some of them are just great (illustrations and sound test are simply too awesome). So I'm enjoying my second play-through very much. The game is so sweet that it doesn't matter if you already know the solution, it's just too charming.
Firestreak said:
To be honest I kind of hate it so far. Far too kiddy.
Hating a game because it's too kiddy (although it's not, it's just for everybody) is not a very clever thing to do. Specially when it's as brilliant as this one.

thetechkid

I went to get the game today and the people at the counter said that they're out of stock and will not be restocking. >_>

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Firestreak said:
You could make that argument about Mario as well. I personally wouldn't, but it would interesting to see someone else try.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Hey GAFers. I picked up two extra copies of this game (the last ones my TRU had.) If anyone wants one, it's 8.50 plus minimum shipping and maybe a buck for PayPal fees.

Private message me or respond in this thread if you want one.

~Dac

Masked Man

I said wow
Such a wonderful game. Hopefully more people will get the opportunity to experience the fun. :D

(And I might have to pick up a copy and resell it for a higher price, lol. Juuuuuuuust kidding.)

Firestreak said:
ratchet-1.jpg

Just beat the first boss level this morning.

Awesome game, I'm really enjoying it. And I love the art style and visuals, I'm one of those rare adults that would rather have bright colors and cartoony visuals in games.

It's beautiful looking IMO.

Finally got the game and it's actually very, very fun and well worth the 12 dollars or so I spent on it. The only problem I have thus far with it is the Japanese voices and anime type mannerisms the characters exhibit

Yaweee

So, I beat the game. Overall, I liked it, though the occasionally outstanding puzzles are hurt by the terrible continue system and frequently shitty controls.

I've never had to grind in a puzzle game before, but from the mix of increasing cost per continue, losing all the coins whenever you die, and the frequently too long levels, the game really necessitates going back to old levels to get gold. Kind of stupid, but you don't have to do it too often.

I also hate the few instances where, even if you die, the way to prevent that death was determined long before the point you continue from. Dragon Scales is a terrible, terrible, level because of crap like that.

There are a good number of great levels, though. "The Great Chase" is all around outstanding, as is "The Frozen Key" and the painting one, among others.

So, for $8? Go ahead and get it. It is all-in-all pretty fun, but there's a lot of frustration, too.

Ratchet and Clank is kid friendly, but like Pixar and classic Disney, is designed with adults in mind as well as kids. This game is just extremely irritating, and of the gameplay I tried, is extremely simple with a motion hook. Not comparable to Mario, that barely burdens me with a plot nobody really cares about, and has simple but very deep and rewarding gameplay. Feel the same way about Zack and Wiki as I did Psychonauts... extremely annoying plot that you can't get away from and focus on the gameplay easily, unimpressive gameplay and a lot of people calling it amazing - and complaints people respond to with "it gets better after hours of putting up with it."

Yaweee

Firestreak said:
Ratchet and Clank is kid friendly, but like Pixar and classic Disney, is designed with adults in mind as well as kids. This game is just extremely irritating, and of the gameplay I tried, is extremely simple with a motion hook. Not comparable to Mario, that barely burdens me with a plot nobody really cares about, and has simple but very deep and rewarding gameplay. Feel the same way about Zack and Wiki as I did Psychonauts... extremely annoying plot that you can't get away from and focus on the gameplay easily, unimpressive gameplay and a lot of people calling it amazing - and complaints people respond to with "it gets better after hours of putting up with it."

Only the 'beginning' is particularly kiddy, i.e. the first level. Not even hours... like, the 15 minute tutorial. A lot of the game is very, very, very difficult-- calling it "simple" really doesn't make any damn sense.

Gabyskra

Banned
Firestreak said:
Sorry, but you really are out of it. Hours? You obviously didn't give it more than 5 minutes. The puzzles are fantastic. Annoying plot? It's barely there, it's all about the challenge.

I hate how that game gets such an unfair reputation from people who get tired of it after the tutorial. Sigh.

blu

Firestreak said:
congrats, you just won the uninformed & opinionated post of the week award. i will not even bother to go through the pile of BS in it, i'll just emphasize the expression 'extremely simple with a motion hook' - that alone is tag-worthy.

Top Bottom