• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Snyder's Justice League Review Thread

Ulysses 31

He got them to safety and went for the box. You wanted few minutes of them going up?
They were under the harbour, the water shouldn't be done rising. The others didn't know Cyborg was getting the box so to just see him fly off like that should raise some eye brows.

Sure these guys could still get to safety relatively easy with their powers and gadgets but to me it's just a rough transition to the next scene we see them.

There's 4 threads about this movie on the first page. That is all.
Awkward Crazy Man GIF by Satisfaction Group

OneBigPuss

They were under the harbour, the water shouldn't be done rising. The others didn't know Cyborg was getting the box so to just see him fly off like that should raise some eye brows.

Sure these guys could still get to safety relatively easy with their powers and gadgets but to me it's just a rough transition to the next scene we see them.
I guess its just the matter of perspective, and yes they were questioning him why he has the box later.

Hatemachine

Banned
I thought this was pretty great. It's much more accessible and geared for general audiences than Batman vs. Superman was. I wonder how much of that is due to Snyder being under studio pressure during the production of Justice League due to the poor reception of BvS. I was actually surprised at how much humor is in this, though it's fairly well done and not used at inappropriate times, so I don't have any complaints about it.

My two biggest gripes are:
  • Cyborg's suit auto-attacking Superman. I was pretty surprised this was in Snyder's cut as it seems pretty off brand for him. It doesn't make any sense in the context of Cyborg's character and is clearly just there as a plot device to get a fight between Superman and the Justice League without having anyone instigate it and come off as the bad guy. Snyder doesn't seem like he would have any problem with just having Superman attacking the Justice League in a confused rage upon being resurrected. I wouldn't be surprised if the studio came down on Snyder here to protect the Superman character, and this was the compromise to allow Snyder to have his Superman vs. Justice League fight and not have Superman look like a bad guy.
  • The backstory of Darkseid coming to Earth didn't quite make sense. They show he found the anti-life equation when he first came to Earth and was defeated, and then he forgets about it and has to be told it's on Earth by Steppenwolf? My guess is that in an earlier version of the movie, it was Darkseid's father or an ancestor who came to Earth and their corps fell apart in the aftermath of their defeat and knowledge of the anti-life equation passed into legend. That's the only thing I can think of that makes logical sense there.

My favorite thing about this film was probably Steppenwolf. Dude was bad ass and his CGI was top notch. You could really feel him emote too - you could really feel his pain when he's begging to come home.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Some era member seems to hate Wonder Women

Pic didnt show up heres whay they type

[/HEADING]
[HEADING=3]BadWolf

Yesterday at 9:50 AM

"The issue with Diana's design in such a movie is how she looks in contrast to the other (male) superheros. Most of them have their entire bodies covered aside from half their face or their head.

And then you have her standing there with them in what might as well be underwear in comparison, with constant 'fan service' shots.

There was that one cool redesign she got a while back (in a comic?) where she had pants and a nice jacket. Imo they should have gone with something like that.

She has great fight scenes but her attire makes them feel less so."

excelsiorlef

Dark_Castle said:
I'm always curious to hear a woman's thoughts on WW84, because clearly it's meant to be a movie empowering woman but general consensus is there are so many issues with the movie.
"Diana is a pathetic loser rapist who can't get over the death of the first guy she met 70 years ago and spent a few months tops with, if that.

The opening fight is her winking at some kid, taking great lengths to not kill the robber only to then drop him from great heights through a police car... for no fucking reason.

She literally jumps between a complete psycho borderline woman incel and Bugs Bunny, the serious stuff has no weight and the action stuff is corny ugly and dumb looking, and Diana makes the worst facial expressions ever because Gal Gadot has negative charisma and the least realistic facial expressions I've ever seen"

And thats just from the last 2 pages
LAutLDX.jpg
CqnnLuU.jpg

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

• The backstory of Darkseid coming to Earth didn't quite make sense. They show he found the anti-life equation when he first came to Earth and was defeated, and then he forgets about it and has to be told it's on Earth by Steppenwolf? My guess is that in an earlier version of the movie, it was Darkseid's father or an ancestor who came to Earth and their corps fell apart in the aftermath of their defeat and knowledge of the anti-life equation passed into legend. That's the only thing I can think of that makes logical sense there.
Another issue is that they strongly imply they only ever had these 3 mother boxes and that they're now "destroyed", even though Diana says they're indestructible. The planet where you left behind these boxes should make that planet even extra memorable IMO... 👀

Hatemachine

Banned
Another issue is that they strongly imply they only ever had these 3 mother boxes and that they're now "destroyed", even though Diana says they're indestructible. The planet where you left behind these boxes should make that planet even extra memorable IMO... 👀
I'm okay with them being destroyed in the sense that they're no longer operative since they were synchronized then ripped apart, almost like how you can brick your computer by pulling the power during an software update. I think Diana's comment was more about how they can't physically destroy them. But yeah leaving the boxes on Earth then completely forgetting about Earth is nonsensical.

Ulysses 31

I'm okay with them being destroyed in the sense that they're no longer operative since they were synchronized then ripped apart, almost like how you can brick your computer by pulling the power during an software update. I think Diana's comment was more about how they can't physically destroy them. But yeah leaving the boxes on Earth then completely forgetting about Earth is nonsensical.
That's how I understood it too, was just weird to me to see it described as being destroyed rather than rendered useless.

Maybe it was an oversight from an earlier version since in the 2017 movie they do get destroyed.

Last edited:

OneBigPuss

I thought this was pretty great. It's much more accessible and geared for general audiences than Batman vs. Superman was. I wonder how much of that is due to Snyder being under studio pressure during the production of Justice League due to the poor reception of BvS. I was actually surprised at how much humor is in this, though it's fairly well done and not used at inappropriate times, so I don't have any complaints about it.

• Cyborg's suit auto-attacking Superman. I was pretty surprised this was in Snyder's cut as it seems pretty off brand for him. It doesn't make any sense in the context of Cyborg's character and is clearly just there as a plot device to get a fight between Superman and the Justice League without having anyone instigate it and come off as the bad guy. Snyder doesn't seem like he would have any problem with just having Superman attacking the Justice League in a confused rage upon being resurrected. I wouldn't be surprised if the studio came down on Snyder here to protect the Superman character, and this was the compromise to allow Snyder to have his Superman vs. Justice League fight and not have Superman look like a bad guy.

My favorite thing about this film was probably Steppenwolf. Dude was bad ass and his CGI was top notch. You could really feel him emote too - you could really feel his pain when he's begging to come home.
Cyborg suit auto attacking was explained. Victor had this vision of knightmare by connecting to mainframe of the ship. Superman succumbs to the anti-life and is evil in this future and cyborg even said that the suit "senses danger".

Last edited:

PsyEd

I loved it...and loved the fact Steppenwolf actually feels more like a final boss character as he talks far less but still didn't feel strong enough, prolly to cater for the woke crowd. And a bit too much of Cyborg's story....I was hoping to see more of supes in the 4 hours of weird ol 4:3 format. Anyway I hope in future all home 4k UHD releases has a director's cut or original intended edition which wasn't chopped for the theatrical release, not just dumped out of sequence segments in deleted scene sections. It's definitely worth a watch...GG Snyder!

ManaByte

[/HEADING][/HEADING]
[HEADING=3][HEADING=3]BadWolf

"The issue with Diana's design in such a movie is how she looks in contrast to the other (male) superheros. Most of them have their entire bodies covered aside from half their face or their head.

And then you have her standing there with them in what might as well be underwear in comparison, with constant 'fan service' shots.

There was that one cool redesign she got a while back (in a comic?) where she had pants and a nice jacket. Imo they should have gone with something like that.

excelsiorlef

"Diana is a pathetic loser rapist who can't get over the death of the first guy she met 70 years ago and spent a few months tops with, if that.

The opening fight is her winking at some kid, taking great lengths to not kill the robber only to then drop him from great heights through a police car... for no fucking reason.

She literally jumps between a complete psycho borderline woman incel and Bugs Bunny, the serious stuff has no weight and the action stuff is corny ugly and dumb looking, and Diana makes the worst facial expressions ever because Gal Gadot has negative charisma and the least realistic facial expressions I've ever seen"

LAutLDX.jpg
CqnnLuU.jpg
angry adam sandler GIF

Vestal

Gold Member
I’ll look it up tomorrow or something when I have some time on my hands.
Nothing was "cut" or not recorded. He left the studio when they were already in post production so the principal photography was already finished. It was stated before that the bat carrier can't fly because of some software issues, then Cyborg said that he know what the issue is and he can fix it, next you have a scene with Alfred meddling with it and after that before that scene with Batman sitting in chair you see that Cyborg is doing something. Alfred say "you have to see this" with a smile and next scene is the functional bat carrier. Tell me where batman has his BvS suit because he only has it at the start and tell me about "few other points". Or are you saying that he had the other suit when he was sitting and next scene he had his more armored version? If yes then he just suit up before the battle. Nothing "glaring" honestly.

He got them to safety and went for the box. You wanted few minutes of them going up?
Look at the scene where Alfred says you need to see this. Batman is wearing his standard suit then you move to the next scene and he is wearing his battle armor style suit. Yet the conversation between him and cyborg is presented as if its the first time they realize the ship is ready to go.

Scene starts around 3:01:58

Bombolone

Gold Member

I didn't mind it tbh. When he just flew out, I did notice it (said where the f*ck did he go?).
I was waiting for a next scene right after explaining it. However when he showed up with the box, I actual thought it was pretty well done.
Cyborg knows they want the cube, why waste time? They are super heroes able to take care of themselves. Arguably the box is the most important thing atm.

Its like the opposite of people acting stupid in horror films. Always wasting time with this and that.
Cyborg handles business.

Hinedorf

Banned
Couldn't finish the movie in one sitting. I almost want to rewatch Joss' version because of how meh I felt about it at the time. Steppenwolf felt like a legit badass compared to Joss'. The character arcs made way more sense..... everything about the setup/ending/setup for future installments tell me this was CLEARLY the blueprint DC had all along if not for horrible circumstances.

I'm a total Marvel nerd but love both, I disliked Man of Steel, hated Batman VS Superman, and was completely over Joss' JLA. I don't know that I love this movie but absolutely liked this far more than virtually all other entries in the series going back to Zack w/Batman.

It's weird to me to think Joss gets credit for what I would call still the best singular super hero movie in Avengers and continue to clusterfuck everything else he's touched since.

Ulysses 31

Yet the conversation between him and cyborg is presented as if its the first time they realize the ship is ready to go.
Wasn't that the case though? Cyborg said that it couldn't fly because of a software issue when he first laid eyes on ship. Later Alfred said there was no chance he could get it to fly that day.

When bats tells Diana about the nightmare he seems to be looking at Cyborg who's looking at a holographic blueprint(?) of the ship.

Last edited:

sol_bad

It's weird to me to think Joss gets credit for what I would call still the best singular super hero movie in Avengers and continue to clusterfuck everything else he's touched since.

I still think Age of Ultron is a legit good film. The only bad parts were due to studio interference.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Batman vs Superman was just a fight Justice League tried a lot (assembling, powerful enemies etc.) it doesn’t feel finished yet.

A.Romero

It was entertaining and probably the best from DCU together with WW. Still, not at the level of Marvel movies.

If Avengers has a plot hole with Thanos choosing to erase half life instead of doubling the resources, the Darkseid plot hole is way worse. There is no way in hell that Darkseid couldn't return to Earth because he forgot. This implies not one of all the ships that came to earth had some sort of flight log or something. Even if Darkseid lost his memory or something. That makes Darkseid seem like an afterthought. Like they tried too hard to not having him as the first villain JL fought together... I think they could have done it in a different way.

This cut was more entertaining but the movie itself it's not that great. I wonder if just jumping to the Injustice sans Darkseid could have been a better option...

I'm hoping The Batman brings something way better.

MDSLKTR

[/HEADING][/HEADING]
[HEADING=3][HEADING=3]BadWolf

excelsiorlef

LAutLDX.jpg
CqnnLuU.jpg
Imagine using the word "repugnant".

Ionian

3Z4xWUt.png

Someone with that many posts on a fucking message board can't be expected to have any thoughts in their head that aren't fucking insane.

This was someone crying about being on the 'front line' in a supermarket last Christmas. Thread title was something saying "Fuck You ...".

The amount of posts is seriously unreal. 53k in a few years? Crazy how anyone could even think someone would bother to read them.

Astral Dog

I don't think Darkseid ever knew the anti life equation was on earth, Steppenwolf was the one that found out from the mother boxes,by casuality many years later, its strange Darkseid didn’t invade earth again, the explanation they gave is becuse they were scared of Kriptonians and Green Lanterns.

Astral Dog

[/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING]
[HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3]BadWolf

excelsiorlef

LAutLDX.jpg
CqnnLuU.jpg
I think its a little funny, suddendly they turned on patty jenkins and gal gadot.

Also Zack Snyder Justice League turned out much better movie than the sloppy written Wonder Woman 1984 imo. i remember ERA wanted all DCEU creative control to be given to Jenkins

Last edited:

Hatemachine

Banned
I don't think Darkseid ever knew the anti life equation was on earth, Steppenwolf was the one that found out from the mother boxes,by casuality many years later, its strange Darkseid didn’t invade earth again, the explanation they gave is becuse they were scared of Kriptonians and Green Lanterns.
They make the comment that Darkseid "found an ancient weapon when he arrived on Earth" or something along those lines when they are narrating the battle between the old gods and Darkseid.

slade

Wow, just finished it. Four hours is a long runtime but it did these characters justice. Pun totally intended.

I commented a long while back that Snyder had the beginnings of the perfect Injustice setup. This movie just reiterated how right that feeling was. So much could have been done with this setup and DC's penchant for alternate timelines. Kills me that it will never see the light of day because of WB's meddling and people's inability to get over their own preconceived notions of fictional characters. That's what fanfiction is for anyway.

ManaByte

It comes down to if The Rock really does want Henry Cavill in his film. He wanted it for years. And they are fruends irl

They share a manager. The funny thing is that Cavill's problems with WB are reportedly due to friction between WB and that person (not Cavill himself). The Rock doesn't have those problems because he's The Rock.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
They share a manager. The funny thing is that Cavill's problems with WB are reportedly due to friction between WB and that person (not Cavill himself). The Rock doesn't have those problems because he's The Rock.

Funny enough... Their manager is Rock's ex-wife

tsumake

The film is essentially a workprint. It feels like they just exported the timeline ‘for the fans.’ Even if they did shoot additional scenes, they don’t connect together and the rhythm is janky. There are good scenes and bad scenes and they don’t flow. It’s a mess, but it’s still better than what was presented in 2017. You could probably cut it down to 120-150 minutes and get a pretty good cut of the available footage. It’s interesting to see such a film get released, but as a “movie” it’s fan service above coherence, which is arguably fine considering the circumstance. Better that it was released than never at all.

It makes me want to see David Ayer’s cut of Suicide Squad (if it exists).

Last edited:

ManaByte

It makes me want to see David Ayer’s cut of Suicide Squad (if it exists).
Ayer’s cut was shown to test audiences before WB gave it to a trailer house to chop up. There are only a few shots where the effects aren’t 100%. I have a friend who went to the test screening and saw that version.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Ayer’s cut was shown to test audiences before WB gave it to a trailer house to chop up. There are only a few shots where the effects aren’t 100%. I have a friend who went to the test screening and saw that version.
what did he say when he watched the final version? was it better? worse?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Wait... WB put out a new trailer for Josstice League a few days ago? Lmao. I can't imagine any possible reason for that other than to throw salt in the eyes of Snyder fans.

WB Studios actively HATES Snyder. They didn't even try to promote the movie for HBO MAX.

The rest of them loved him and actively pushed ZSJL hard on social media and even other media like the AT&T museum thing in Dallas full of ZSJL paraphernalia.

Top Bottom