• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Baron

Is there any place this game can be had for less than the $40 it's going for at retail right now? Any sales deals or anything? I bought the Zelda 3DSXL and have the code for the eshop version but I have two 3DSes and don't want to be restricted to playing the game on just one, so I want the cart and want to sell the code if possible.

It's $37 on Amazon right now, but that's the best I can find.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Just finished it...

Fantastic Game. I am not even gonna go into "Rankings" mode but this is definitely in my Zelda Top 5 maybe just below OOT. So...

1. Wind Waker
2. OOT
3. ALBW
4. Skyward
5. Twilight

Just great. Kicked MM from the 5th spot as well :p

fantomena

Just finished it. Not 100% completionist though. Used 21:14 hours.

My first Zelda game I acutually finished. I also have Twlight Princess, Skyward Sword, For Sword Anniversary, Wind Waker HD and some others which I either have not touched or finished.

So I borrowed brothers 2ds and started this up, I think I need to play this in 3d, its playable but I can see in plenty of areas that it was meant to be played in 3d, built around it.

Myriadis

Finished it two weeks ago already with a playtime of about 17 hours, which is quite long for a handheld zelda. I agree with some of the complaints, like the overworld being not changed that much, dungeons are fairly short, the item system is not the best solution and the story wasn't that interesting until the last level.
But I really enjoyed the soundtrack, the gameplay is much better, I enjoyed it how quick you got into the real action and the amount of optional stuff to do. Much better than AlttP, which is so far my least favorite Zelda and one of the better games in the series.

One question:
I just decided to look at the save file from my sister and she has the second and third amulet, but not the first one. How is this even possible?

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Just finished this. What a fantastic experience.

I literally had little anticipation or excitement for this when it was announced, didn't follow the development at all save for seeing a few screenshots and taking a dislike to the art style.

But the overall experience blew me away. It felt so well paced compared to Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword that had so much filler. This was just a much tighter package. Fantastic soundtrack, some really clever use of the 2D dynamic and interesting puzzles.

More of this, Nintendo!

I saved just before the final boss, so I need to go back and get some things. I never got the Pegasus Boots or upgraded the Master Sword for a start!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Looking forward to getting back into this game. Just spent 70 something hours on Bravely Default without ever taking time to side step back to Zelda, but I enjoyed what I played so far. Only 2 rescued Sages in!

jaxword

I found an interesting thing: there's an inaccessible 2d area in the game. As in, there's an area you can get to in 2d mode, but the stamina gauge isn't big enough to explore it so it just runs out and it remains unvisited.

Try using the portal in the light world inside the Waterfall, NE of Hyrule castle.

You'll end up in the Dark world. Keep going west and you'll just keep going and going and going until the gauge runs out.

Nothing too special, but it's an interesting oversight since there's no "blocking" walls in the entire wall stretch.

If there was an unlimited stamina trick, that'd be neat to explore.

Hindl

Just finished yesterday. I put it down for like 2 months after the Dark World because I got lost, then I got absorbed in other games. Couple of weeks ago, I started playing it on my commute, and man am I glad I picked it up.

I was having such trouble at first, because I think I completed the dungeons in the "wrong" order. I know there's no order and that's what makes it so great, but there at least seems to be some progression in difficulty in the dungeons. My last two were the Dark Palace and Skull Woods, which were insanely easy compared to something like the Ice Ruins or Turtle Rock.

But man what a blast. It cut out so much filler and just delivered an excellent game all around. I loved a lot of the boss fights, I thought they were amazing. And the dungeon design was pretty cool, I thought it was awesome how many different puzzles they could make with a simple mechanic like the painting. Gonna need to do Hero Mode soon, since I missed a lot of the upgrades, but I'm pretty satisfied with repeating.

Also (final boss spoilers):
The first half of the Yuga fight, I wasn't a huge fan of, it seemed pretty simplistic and was annoying until you learn the hitboxes. Then I beat him and thought, was that it? Thankfully, I thought the next part was amazing. Especially the return of the Dead Man's Volley! That's one of my favorite battle techniques in Zelda and I loved it's return. Though I guess it makes sense due to the relation to LTTP. And the painting battle was really fun too. Great final fight overall.

So one of my only gripes would be the lack of painting as a battle mechanic. It was used a few times and was really awesome when implemented in the battle. I thought it could be used a little more, but still this was a fantastic game and makes me cry in anticipation for Zelda U

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
bCiSlfN.jpg

*drool* Only $350
http://www.first4figures.com/component/option,com_myphp/Itemid,3/product,113/

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
My cousin lent me this game, should I play Hero mode first? I've played pretty much every other Zelda. What are the differences?

Anteo

My cousin lent me this game, should I play Hero mode first? I've played pretty much every other Zelda. What are the differences?

4x damage from every enemy. Means you can get hit up to 2 hits in the early game, and only 1 time by the mid game (when you face stronger enemies) before dying

Moff

One of the major complaints is that the game is too easy, so I can imagine you might like it more on hero mode.

I think 2x the damage would have been perfect for the first play through, and the current "normal" difficulty would have sufficed as an easy mode. Hero mode isn't exactly insurmountable at 4x damage (I played through it 4 times without dying), but without knowing the best order to tackle certain dungeons in it's probably a bit much to dive into right off the bat. I had similar gripes about Metroid Zero Mission which basically lets you choose between easy and insultingly easy, then overcompensates by making hard mode exponentially more restrictive. Haven't played WWHD yet, but it sounds like it suffers from a similar dichotomy. A little balance and more difficulty options from the outset would be nice in these games.

Anth0ny

I haven't had a chance to play through LBW Hero Mode, but Wind Waker HD's Hero mode is definitely a case of normal mode = easy difficulty, and hero mode = normal difficulty. It is by no means hard.

I haven't had a chance to play through LBW Hero Mode, but Wind Waker HD's Hero mode is definitely a case of normal mode = easy difficulty, and hero mode = normal difficulty. It is by no means hard.
Didn't they get rid of heart drops entirely though? Don't get me wrong, the original version is way, way too liberal with them, especially with the mere fractions of a heart damage most enemies dole out, but it's still nice to nab a little health here and there without having to lean on the bottles. Just seems like a weird way to parse it. Nonetheless, I will definitely be playing on hero mode when I get enough time to plat through, because WW on default difficulty is almost humorously easy.

Anteo

Didn't they get rid of heart drops entirely though? Don't get me wrong, the original version is way, way too liberal with them, especially with the mere fractions of a heart damage most enemies dole out, but it's still nice to nab a little health here and there without having to lean on the bottles. Just seems like a weird way to parse it. Nonetheless, I will definitely be playing on hero mode when I get enough time to plat through, because WW on default difficulty is almost humorously easy.

Yeah but no heart drops made the game annoying, not harder. The game gives you a fairy or 2 before the boss anyways.

bridegur

I got this recently and didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I am. One of the best games I've played in years. I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed in the next 3D Zelda if it doesn't incorporate a lot of ALBW's mechanics.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Finished the game today, took me 12 hours.

I did love the game, but the rental system was a complete disaster. Way too easy to get all the items, made all the dungeons way too easy, and the one positive about it (actually having any item at any time for the most part) wasn't used at all! Except for one place, you rarely needed any items except for the one pictured before you entered the dungeon. What was the reason behind this? Bleh. Made all the dungeons feel extremely the same, and there was no sense of exploration in them.

Even the usual one item in the dungeon other than rupees (boss key) was basically always just handed to you. Felt like every dungeon, I had that big key for 90% of that dungeon.

Since we had all the items all the time for the most part, i was expecting some puzzles to like.. actually use the damn items together. But no.

Such a shame. They really really should have rethought this rental/"open world" system. In theory it could work but they butchered it.

Great game though, but it could have been so much more.

Moff

Such a shame. They really really should have rethought this rental/"open world" system. In theory it could work but they butchered it.

I think it was excellent, but it works differently than in previous zelda games, you cant think with the old system in mind.
in the old games, the new item in every dungeon was handled more or less like a key. you got it and you could access new areas with it.

ABLW though is much more gameplay focused, and with that I mean diversity in gameplay. the items are not longer only keys, they are an actual part of the gameplay, think of freezing lava with the ice rod, elevating the ground with the sand rod, every item works like that. its deeply integrated in the gameplay.
classic item design did that, too, but only on a very small level, the classic items still felt more like keys. and the rental system allowed them to design the whole dungeon with different mechanics, and not only the latter half of the dungeon. becaus otherwise the first halves would actually have been the same all the time. this way the dungeons are completely different as a whole. every ALBW dungen has a gameplay element, that makes it unique and actually play different.
I dont agree with you that the dungeons feel the same, quite the contrary actually. I replayed ALTTP after ALBW and the dungeons were really, really very much a like.not only in the dungeons'f rist half where you dont even have a new item, but even in the later half, the items mostly functioned only as keys.

no comparison to ALBW's diverse integration of the items in the actual gameplay.
another bonus of the rental system, of course, is that you can tackle the dungeons mostly in the order you choose.

I wrote bigger texts on the subject in this thread, if you're interested to look them up. I just want to say that, after replaying all 2d zeldas, I very much prefer ALBW's design, I think its the best 2d zelda and a true masterpiece.

CassSept

not only in the dungeons'f rist half where you dont even have a new item, but even in the later half, the items mostly functioned only as keys.

But Skyward Sword used items much more thoughtfully and I thought they handled making items more important better than ALBW. Sure, there were fewer items in SS than in most other Zelda games, but for example Beetle was used very well throughout the whole thing and was useful in the overall gameplay too (e.g. scouting out the room).

I think they should rather go the way of first making say 3-4 dungeons available, and then after the player finishes the first half of the game make the rest of the dungeons available, or something like that. Basically make it open ended within two tiers of dungeons. Kinda like ALBW, but with items found in previous tier of dungeons being required to solve puzzles in the next tier of dungeons. Items in ALBW felt mostly superfluous which was disappointing for a Zelda game.

Moff

Items in ALBW felt mostly superfluous which was disappointing for a Zelda game.

I dont understand that statement at all. they are less superfluous than ever. they are completely integrated in the gameplay and not only keyes to open up a new area.

I agree though, that skyward sword already went a bit in that direction, it was already a part of nintendos current all-gameplay-philosophy

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Every dungeon minus the last was the following formula.

Enter using the item pictured outside, follow a very linear dungeon progression using only that item pictured outside if very obvious ways or using the wall mechanic, find big key along the way always in plain sight, make it to boss door, kill boss.

I dunno, the puzzles were easy, the enemies were easy. I'm convinced this was because they figured that since any dungeon could be your first dungeon, they treated them all as the first dungeon.

Rarely using a combo of items to solve puzzles, that is the biggest downside for me. They had this system in place to allow for it but they still went with one item used for each dungeon.

And I agree with the above few posts, the items did feel largely superfluous.

I did really like the sand one though

no comparison to ALBW's diverse integration of the items in the actual gameplay.
I really don't understand this at all.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Holy shit why did no one tell me the game of the generation came out last year?

Two more
paintings
to go, completely hooked.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Quick question of preference:

I'm at the last dungeon, freed all the Sages. Should I go about collecting all the Mamaimals , beat the escalating enemy tower, and such before finishing the last dungeon? I kind of want to upgrade all the weapons and do all the extra content before finishing the last boss, because I'm afraid that I won't feel compelled and do it again.

Ideally I'd like to come back to this game after finishing it to get all of the Street Pass medals. I have so many Streetpasses for this game already, I think I have 24/50 medals, so really all I need to do is start upgrading weapons so I can get those medals.

Also one more question: How do you get the "win without moving" medal?

maxcriden

Quick question of preference:

I'm at the last dungeon, freed all the Sages. Should I go about collecting all the Mamaimals , beat the escalating enemy tower, and such before finishing the last dungeon? I kind of want to upgrade all the weapons and do all the extra content before finishing the last boss, because I'm afraid that I won't feel compelled and do it again.

Ideally I'd like to come back to this game after finishing it to get all of the Street Pass medals. I have so many Streetpasses for this game already, I think I have 24/50 medals, so really all I need to do is start upgrading weapons so I can get those medals.

Also one more question: How do you get the "win without moving" medal?

I don't know about the StreetPass stuff, so I won't be able to help you out with that as I rarely get StreetPasses so I wasn't able to do much on that front. As to your first question, I would definitely recommend doing all other sidequests before completing the final dungeon. Like you, I definitely would not be compelled to do so after beating the final boss.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I don't know about the StreetPass stuff, so I won't be able to help you out with that as I rarely get StreetPasses so I wasn't able to do much on that front. As to your first question, I would definitely recommend doing all other sidequests before completing the final dungeon. Like you, I definitely would not be compelled to do so after beating the final boss.

Yeah, I read up that you get the Red Mail from the final dungeon, so that'll be helpful in beating Streetpass Challenges against high bounty foes. Other than that, I think I'll just try to wrap everything else up beforehand. This game is A LOT OF FUN, but I don't know I have it in me to do Hero Mode. Seems too brutal to be fun. I think I needed a hard mode with just "two times" more damage instead of the four.

Is there a way to see if i've gotten the compass in a dungeon?

I'm going through looking for one last piece of master ore i've missed and there's no treasure boxes left in any dungeon... but i'm assuming i probably missed a compass in one of them and that's where the last one is? Im trying to do it without looking at a guide etc so just wanted to see if the game lets you know you have the compass. i can't see it anywhere.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I just started my hero mode run after allowing some time for the game to cool off. Finding the game super replayable thanks to how smooth the gameplay is; it's just plain fun to run around.

Hero mode sure as hell is making me respect the rental system this time. Now I am actively scrounging for heart pieces and already plotting to get to the blue mail as soon as possible. So far a feeling I had when I first beat the game on normal is being confirmed: replayability is emphasized here, and the order of dungeons matters for which character buffs you feel are most important.

The hiked difficulty just brings that into focus.

Is there a way to see if i've gotten the compass in a dungeon?

I'm going through looking for one last piece of master ore i've missed and there's no treasure boxes left in any dungeon... but i'm assuming i probably missed a compass in one of them and that's where the last one is? Im trying to do it without looking at a guide etc so just wanted to see if the game lets you know you have the compass. i can't see it anywhere.

This is probably really late but one of the master ores is out in the overworld rather than being in a dungeon.

kd-z

I'm 3 hours in and the game is awesome. So far I did Hera's Tower and House of Gales - both were a lot of fun, even if not very complex (they were the first two actual dungeons after all).

What I'm most surprised by is how natural and intuitive merging with walls is. Getting the grasp of it took me no more than a couple seconds and now it feels second nature. Also fits the world very well. When I first heard about the "gimmick" behind this game I was not impressed, but now I can't wait to find out what more the designers did with it!

Tizoc

Silly question but does this game have any DLC by any chance? Planning on getting a used copy off amazon uk for 22 Pounds (cheapest I've found so far).

Tizoc

Nope, no DLC. I hope you enjoy the game, it's fantastic!

I already have OoT 3DS, but I know Zelda games to deliver far as adventure, exploration and puzzles are concerned so no doubt I'll like this game =) Gonna pre-order soon (on 28th or 29th after paying for my CC stuff)

jts

...hate me...
So I'm returning to the party, a year later. But because this game isn't linear, I'm a bit lost. What dungeons I've beat, where to go etc.

Any tips? I don't want to restart. Probably 6-7 hours in I think.

K-A-Deman

So I'm returning to the party, a year later. But because this game isn't linear, I'm a bit lost. What dungeons I've beat, where to go etc.

Any tips? I don't want to restart. Probably 6-7 hours in I think.

The maps are usually a good indicator of what you have and haven't done. Trying using the weather vanes to warp to locations and see which ones you've unlocked. I'm guessing you got to Lorule in your play-through, right?

jts

...hate me...
The maps are usually a good indicator of what you have and haven't done. Trying using the weather vanes to warp to locations and see which ones you've unlocked. I'm guessing you got to Lorule in your play-through, right?
Yeah I got to Lorule and also I got that rental shop from the bunny guy. I remember a lot of stuff that I've done. I just don't remember exactly what I wanted/need to do next.

But I guess I'll do just that, explore the map and figure it out somehow.

I just beat it yesterday. I think I saw that the game was released in November of last year, tomorrow it will have been a year. It's a really good game.

mstevens

Somehow I am just getting around to playing this after owning it since last Christmas. 3 dungeons in and it is soooo good so far.

jb1234

Just beat this after two massive play sessions. Took 11 hours in total and it was pretty damned satisfying. The nostalgia was out in full force with the LttP overworld and the great arrangements of past tunes. It's great to play a game that's just so damned concise. The 3D Zeldas could take some lessons from this game.

Complaints? Way too easy. I suppose it couldn't be helped with the non-linear approach to the dungeons but it was sad that the game actually got easier as I progressed instead of harder. I did save the best dungeon (Ice Ruins) for last, though. And I guess Hero mode is always an option although I probably won't replay this for a while.

Anteo

Just beat this after two massive play sessions. Took 11 hours in total and it was pretty damned satisfying. The nostalgia was out in full force with the LttP overworld and the great arrangements of past tunes. It's great to play a game that's just so damned concise. The 3D Zeldas could take some lessons from this game.

Complaints? Way too easy. I suppose it couldn't be helped with the non-linear approach to the dungeons but it was sad that the game actually got easier as I progressed instead of harder. I did save the best dungeon (Ice Ruins) for last, though. And I guess Hero mode is always an option although I probably won't replay this for a while.

You should try Hero Mode asap, 4x damage means for the first half of the game you will die at 1 or 2 hits. So good that made me play the game again and got 100% on that savefile

Top Bottom