• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Frolow

Banned
ibk0jVo7ScTvP1.png
Offical Website

Developer - Nintendo EAD (Group No. 3)
Publisher - Nintendo
Release Dates - December 26th (JP) , November 22nd (NA), November 22nd (EU), November 23rd (AU)
Platform - 3DS
Game Size - 5,482 Blocks/ 685MB
Genre - Action-Adventure
Controls - Standard
Multiplayer - None

Retail and Digital versions launch on the same day. The Digital version will be available at Midnight (EST) on the eShop. Scan the QR Code below to be taken directly to the game's eShop page.
ibgEvndc6WFMc8.png

ibmMqbl7ODM5tu.png

In a time of great turmoil, the seven sages of legend sealed away the evil Ganon and restored peace to Hyrule. Many generations later, the kingdom is at peace under the benevolent rule of Princess Zelda. On an errand to deliver a sword from the blacksmith's shop, Link stumbles upon a magical attack. The sorcerer Yuga transforms a young girl—the descendant of a legendary sage—into a living painting, defeats Link, and vanishes. An oddly dressed stranger returns Link to his home and gives him a mystical bracelet that will prove invaluable in the adventure to come. Granted the power of interdimensional travel and equipped with items rented from Ravio, Link must travel between Hyrule and the dark mirror world of Lorule. Its dungeons are treacherous, but they lead to an even more ominous confrontation.

i7vsdGfyKxwNi.png

Rental Shop:
ibgedm8FHbff67.jpg

A Link Between Worlds does away with the traditional formula of getting items from dungeons and instead, replaces it with a new system entirely. Early on in the game, you meet a character named Ravio who runs a rental shop. In that shop, you can rent nearly every item in the game. However, renting isn't free as you'll be required to pay for an item every time you rent it. There's another catch: If you die, Ravio immediately takes back the rented items from you. Later in the game, you'll also have the option of buying the items from Ravio too, but expect to pay a pretty penny for them. This completely changes the way dungeons are handled, as you can now tackle them in almost any order you desire now. Want to Tackle Dungeon 5 but you haven't even completed the 2nd Dungeon yet? Well just rent the Hookshot from Ravio and you're on your way!

Link's Drawing:
ibm1DPOyQaFi80.png

Another new feature of A Link between Worlds is that Link can now turn into a drawing and move along the surface of walls. Link is able to use his newfound ability to travel between Hyrule and Lorule and maneuver to otherwise unreachable areas. And as you would expect, a large amount of the game's puzzles are centered around this mechanic. Some examples having to avoid being detected by guards inside a hallway. In this instance, Link is forced to traverse around them by hiding beneath the vines growing on the walls.

Lorule:
irbIC6vEq4e7A.png

If you've ever played A Link to the Past, you should be familiar with the concept here. Lorule is essentially a mirror version of Hyrule. It shares many of the same locals and landmarks. In order to travel between the two worlds, you will need to find interdimensional cracks, which are scattered on walls throughout the land. You can also traverse between Hyrule and Lorule with Fast Travel once the locations are unlocked. One major difference between the two worlds is that Lorule is a fragmented land, forcing you to find specific cracks in Hyrule if you want to explore certain sections in Lorule.

Fast Travel:
ib1l2UGrlf1l2X.png

In your travels throughout Hyrule, Link will eventually come across a witch named Irene. She offers you some assistance by unlocking Fast Travel for you. After you meet her, any save location you've encountered, which in this game are bird themed weather-vanes, will become a Fast Travel options for you to use. In addition, Fast Travel also works in between Hyrule and Lorule, so you won't have to rely exclusively on the cracks.

Streetpass:
ibaSParcrtVkeA.png

In Kakariko Village, you'll encounter an old man named Gramps. When you talk to him, you have the option of setting up Streetpass for the game. Streetpass, for those unfamiliar, is the name for stand-by data exchange between two 3DS systems. For instance, if I'm out on a walk where I'm carrying my 3DS and I pass by another person who is also carrying their 3DS, our systems will exchange information and game data between each other. Streetpass for A Link Between Worlds allows you to engage in special battles with people you've tagged. You can setup a customized version of Link, choosing what items he should have in battle and such. And when you tag someone, their customized Link, which shows up as Shadow Link, will appear in your game. If you're victorious against the other person's Shadow Link, you earn a bounty that's variable to how powerful the character was.

Items:
iJah6SzvpfItn.png
iPQt0nTCnIDF3.png
ibhPpAPtFwGIdy.png
ibp3AaNf3hr3fm.png
i9vTWtiY4H4lv.png
iqSXWfsPIWK7W.png
iZDPSX7n5xUfO.png
ibaurV6BSakqzL.png
ibjtJhwduo3UHS.png

• Tornado Rod: Lets Link propel himself straight into the air to reach new heights. Can be used to reached high platforms and put out fiery enemies.
  • Bow and Arrow: Allows you to hit enemies from afar and distant switches with ease. A Link Between Worlds does away with the traditional system of having a limited quantity of arrows with you, as arrows are only limited as to how many you can fire before the gauge depletes.
  • Boomerang: The Boomerang is fairly standard in A Link Between Worlds. It can retrieve normally unreachable objects, activate switches, and stun enemies.
  • Bombs: As with the Bow and Arrow, you now carry an unlimited amount of Bombs with you at all times. Besides from that, you can break walls and obliterate enemies with them, just like in any other Zelda game.
  • Hammer: Like in A Link to the Past, throughout the game you'll find little pegs that block your path inside and outside of dungeons. And the only way to smash these pegs is with, you guessed it, the Hammer. Additionally, a A Link Between Worlds introduced springs that you can launch yourself off of by using the Hammer to pound down on them.
  • HookShot: Allows you to grapple and pull yourself towards the certain objects. Much like the Boomerang and Bow, it can also be used to strike enemies from afar and grab items.
  • Fire Rod: Unleashes a powerful gust of Fire right in front of you. Can be used to toast enemies and melt ice blocks.
  • Ice Rod: Summons an Ice chunk that falls from the sky. Allows you to freeze lava platforms and baddies in place.
  • Sand Rod: Lets you bring up columns of Sand in desert areas. These columns can be used as platforms and even as means to bring up hidden enemies residing in the sand.

ibcxVuzrIxnLx9.png

Trailers:
My GIFs for the trailers got screwed up, will update soon.

Screens:

iZerRN9NT38GZ.png

Game Informer said:
This isn’t just a tribute; as amazing as A Link to the Past is, I can’t think of a single thing A Link Between Worlds doesn’t do better...In every way, A Link Between Worlds is exactly what you want out of a Zelda game.

GamesRadar said:
Zelda: A Link Between Worlds brings the outstanding gameplay of the SNES prequel to the 3DS in a well-crafted adventure that will give you a rush of nostalgia. With interesting new characters, atypical series gameplay elements, and fantastic 3D visuals, Link's next adventure is a must play.

EuroGamer said:
It's often been said that A Link to the Past is a game set inside a puzzle. That means A Link Between Worlds is buried at least two layers deep, as it's a game set within A Link to the Past. But that's both the pleasure and the pain of Zelda, isn't it?

Destructoid said:
A Link Between World's main problem at the end of the day is a complete lack of heart. There's no defining moment, no memorable villains or characters, and no truly "new" items that make their mark on the series. It's certainly playable in every sense of the word, but I didn't feel the magic I had felt so many times before.

iN9BeU8eHLiW5.png

Lunar15

This game runs so silky smooth at 60 fps. No videos or screenshots have really done it justice. Blew my mind when I saw it in person. You're all gonna love it!

Not

Banned
I won't read the OT cause I'm spoilerphobic. But from what I saw, nice job. Good job choosing the best thread title too

EDIT: Dammit, couldn't resist. Stopped reading after spoiling the "
Tornado Rod
" for myself

LOLDSFAN

5,482 Blocks?

Oh good so I don't have to get that new SD card... Yet...

Can't wait for the game. Will download at midnight.

Pappasman

This quote from Polygon got me really hype.

Polygon said:
But A Link Between Worlds takes the fundamentals of the series' 16-bit era and flips its design conceits on their head. Nintendo has taken its most sacred cow and pushed it out into a more open world with all the terrifying freedom the series has never had.

The result? The best Zelda game of the last twenty years.

Frolow

Banned
I won't read the OT cause I'm spoilerphobic. But from what I saw, nice job. Good job choosing the best thread title too

EDIT: Dammit, couldn't resist. Stopped reading after spoiling the "
Tornado Rod
" for myself

Don't worry, I only covered the items you get from Ravio, all of which you see within the first twenty minutes.

Seik

Banned
Oh my, OP, you win me with that Pink Floyd reference, love it! Great OT too!

Game will be awesome, I'm getting it at the same time as 3D World, but I'm playing 3D World first. After this, all my time will belong to Zelda!!

Not

Banned
Wasn't the only bad thing about that port the OOT Young Link voice clips? I'd rather not suffer through that.

Beats me. Never played it on SNES. All I know is I had to use a Prima guide to beat it 'cause 5th grade me couldn't even get past the Lanmolas.

Ice rod. Who knew? I hope that kind of magic (in-game and out) will be back this time around

Kouichi

Great OT!

I said I was going to buy this later, but now I'm in the day one camp. Playing 3D World when I get home and LBW on bus rides and between classes sounds very pleasant.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing thread title. So effing excited for this game. 2D Zelda. <3

Draconian

Capping off the 3DS's best year with a bang. Nintendo is bringing it on all fronts this month. I hope we get an Iwata Asks for this.

Anth0ny

so hype. FUCK A NEW CONSOLE LAUNCH. FUCK SUPER MARIO. ZELDA 3-2 IS HERE.

also, no spoilers. please god. there's less than a week to go.

Lunar15

Agreed. Graphix haters GTFO until you've seen this game in motion on a 3DS

I still think the overall art design leaves a little to be desired, but the game makes up for it a little bit through how amazingly smooth and coherent it is in motion. Due to the 60 FPS, the 3D makes it look like you're looking down into a little diorama.

Even if you don't love 3D, I recommend you try it out, even just to see what it looks like. This game was definitely designed around the concept.

Zushin

Dat thread title. Good work.

Hyped as fuck for this. Glad I preordered in time to get the miniature chest too ha.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That's a great thread title.

Will sadly have to pass for a bit, as there's just too much stuff happening on the 22nd. Mario will get precedent over this for me.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Just canceled my preorder.
I've realized that something had to go, I really can't spend more money this month and I'm contemplating selling of my PS4 too and just get a used WiiU whenever I find a good deal. With just my 3DS backlog counting the likes of NSMB2, Fire Emblem and Kid Icaurs (FE and KI I got 'em day1, fuck me), and money being tight atm, I don't feel comfortable in spending any more money on 3DS games yet, plus it's not like I had a good deal since it was €40 on Amazon.it.

We'll meet again, sequel to my favorite Zelda ever :'-)
You guys have fun, seems an incredible game. Maybe by Christmas morning I'll have it in my hands, who knows.

Btw,
BESTEST THREAD TITLE EVA

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
...waiting for a deal on that ALBW 3DS come ooooooon

Top Bottom