• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Neiteio

After listening to the soundtrack again on youtube, I have come to a conclusion:

This is the best soundtrack Nintendo have ever done. Yes, even better than Super Mario Galaxy. Was the music recorded live, or is it synth? I can't tell, which is very high praise. Either way, it puts every other game on the 3DS to shame.
I think the music is live... It sounds too nuanced to be synth. It certainly has the texture of live music. I think it's orchestrated.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
as long as its the opposite of Fusion, and more like zero mission...

I was thinking about that while playing this game... ALBW kinda proves that Nintendo can make a game that's on the level of their classics, so it'd be amazing if used the same sort of approach with a Super Metroid sequel or something.

I can dream, right? :(

Rich!

I think the music is live... It sounds too nuanced to be synth. It certainly has the texture of live music. I think it's orchestrated.

The second overworld themes definitely are.

I was thinking about that while playing this game... ALBW kinda proves that Nintendo can make a game that's on the level of their classics, so it'd be amazing if used the same sort of approach with a Super Metroid sequel or something.

Was that ever in doubt?

SuperMarioGalaxy.jpg

Neiteio

A 2D Metroid by Retro could be amazing. Think of what they did with Metroid Prime, and then think of their top-notch 2D design in DKCR (and soon Tropical Freeze). Now merge the two and present it in layered autostereoscopic 3D. :-O

as long as its the opposite of Fusion, and more like zero mission...

at the third dungeon, 5 hours in... HOLY SHIT at the little makers you can put on the map

THIS GAME...... :O

Further proving my personal theory that people with Evangeline Lilly avatars have terrible opinions

Tookay

There are some parts that are definitely live, but occasionally other instruments are high quality samples.

They did a good job overall blending the two.

Neiteio

I just had a vision of a world where Link's Awakening gets a ALBW-style sequel. :-O

The Windfish is dreaming again, Koholint Island returns from the mists of the imagination, now in polygonal 3D. :-O

:-O :-O :-O

Tuck

So is there no "official" order to the dungeons? I know part of the fun is being able to tackle 'em in any order you want, but I'd just as soon go in order if there is one.

Also, agreed on the strengths of OoT, I think it does still hold up really well because of how nicely paced it is. It gives you a good amount of extra stuff to do between most dungeons without being overwhelming. I also really, really like how fleshed out the lore and the characters are. Zelda games may not have the most complex stories, but OoT and MM really felt like those worlds had mysteries, history, and characters who didn't just exist in service of the player's journey.

There is an official order. When you boot the game it shows which dungeons you beat - I beat the second dungeon first, and so the second dungeon slot was filled, but not the first.

Rich!

I just had a vision of a world where Link's Awakening gets a ALBW-style sequel. :-O

The Windfish is dreaming again, Koholint Island returns from the mists of the imagination, now in polygonal 3D. :-O

:-O :-O :-O

I guess that could work. Problem is that the story was effectively closed (like, completely), and Link's Awakening hasn't really got the impact that LTTP had.

I'd rather they returned to the world of Termina. That place has massive scope - what's outside those boundaries? Exploring Hyrule yet again in Zelda U would be a shame.

So did anyone figure out what the 'extra secret' that's hidden away in Hero Mode is yet?

YES. I'll take a photo, hang on.

There is an official order. When you boot the game it shows which dungeons you beat - I beat the second dungeon first, and so the second dungeon slot was filled, but not the first.
I'm not sure about that--
now, granted, I have only beaten three Lorule dungeons, but the first Sage slot listed for the Lorule dungeons is the one from the Desert Palace, but that is the only Lorule dungeon you actually cannot do first--you have to have gotten the Sand Rod, which requires you to beat Thieve's Town first, which is listed like fifth.

Huh?

Neo Member
Also, does anyone perchance know if
Hilda
has something to say about each dungeon, and if so how to get them? I didn't get one for the
Swamp Palace
and I'd rather not miss any others.

Rich!

Also, does anyone perchance know if
Hilda
has something to say about each dungeon, and if so how to get them? I didn't get one for the
Swamp Palace
and I'd rather not miss any others.

She doesn't really help all that much tbh, but yes, she does offer a slight hint in each dungeon's area.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
A few questions for people.

What's the save system like for this game? Is it conducive to short bursts of gaming?

If I haven't really played past the first dungeon of OoT, should I pick this up or OoT 3D? I can't play for long spurts, so the save system in OoT really discourages me.

DaBoss

Where can I find the item that lets me lift the large boulders?
Desert Palace

What's the save system like for this game? Is it conducive to short bursts of gaming?

If I haven't really played past the first dungeon of OoT, should I pick this up or OoT 3D? I can't play for long spurts, so the save system in OoT really discourages me.
You can't save everywhere, but there are weather vanes which act as save points which are dispersed appropriately throughout the world. I would say ALBW is better for short bursts of gaming.

The next Zelda needs to put items back in the dungeons, dungeons in this game don't get me excited because I don't find some cool item to help me explore more of the world, I already have everything to explore the world. The only thing I'm still being teased for is the sand rod (which I don't think I've seen a single place to use it in Hy/Lorule, I just know it exist thanks to Ravio's shop) and upgraded gloves.

Honestly what made Zelda fun for me LTTP and onwards was finding a new item in a dungeon and having the light bulbs go off in my head in terms of what new areas I could explore and what items I could finally reach, this game takes that away for the most part. When I go to a new section of Lorule I feel like I pick it clean before moving onto the next section with virtually no reason to go back. It especially stings because of how fragmented Lorule is compared to Hyrule, having to constantly jump to Hyrule to access a new section of Lorule that I'll only visit once cause I already have everything just ruins it for me.

Save points also double as warp points, so at any point you can simply warp to one (for free) and save/quit. You also can't miss the warp ability it's given to you very early in the game. Also all dungeons have save points outside of them and you can buy an item that allows you to instantly warp outside a dungeon.

Also I don't get what the problem is with OoT 3D, you can save anywhere at anytime in that game in the pause menu.

Tunavi

Banned

There's much less filler in LBW. It's action packed a little after the start.

There are tons of wind waker references in this game (makar paintings in houses, one house has the harp and the violin art on the wall, another house has the lobster design from ww link's shirt, etc)

It's designed perfectly for handheld gaming.

Neiteio

There are weathervanes where you save. You can also warp to them anytime once you meet the witch early on.

neoism

Yep. IMO, Nintendo shouldn't have marked the dungeon locations at all - then they would have had some use. Unless you're a LTTP veteran like myself, of course.

Im using them for heart pieces so I will not have that one I just can't find :/ but I guess they're 28 pieces though :/

a guys does dieing and using a fairy the revive count as a death or do you have to go to the game over screen?

No fairy revives don't count as death in any Zelda game, they only restore 5 hearts in this game though so you really should only have 1 maybe 2, potions are a better use of your bottles.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The next Zelda needs to put items back in the dungeons, dungeons in this game don't get me excited because I don't find some cool item to help me explore more of the world, I already have everything to explore the world. The only thing I'm still being teased for is the sand rod (which I don't think I've seen a single place to use it in Hy/Lorule, I just know it exist thanks to Ravio's shop) and upgraded gloves.

Honestly what made Zelda fun for me LTTP and onwards was finding a new item in a dungeon and having the light bulbs go off in my head in terms of what new areas I could explore and what items I could finally reach, this game takes that away for the most part. When I go to a new section of Lorule I feel like I pick it clean before moving onto the next section with virtually no reason to go back. It especially stings because of how fragmented Lorule is compared to Hyrule, having to constantly jump to Hyrule to access a new section of Lorule that I'll only visit once cause I already have everything just ruins it for me.

Save points also double as warp points, so at any point you can simply warp to one (for free) and save/quit. You also can't miss the warp ability it's given to you very early in the game. Also all dungeons have save points outside of them and you can buy an item that allows you to instantly warp outside a dungeon.

Also I don't get what the problem is with OoT 3D, you can save anywhere at anytime in that game in the pause menu.
The save anywhere feature in OoT is BS. Yeah, you can save, but when you return, you start outside of the dungeon, essentially having to traverse back to where you were. It's really frustrating.

The save anywhere feature in OoT is BS. Yeah, you can save, but when you return, you start outside of the dungeon, essentially having to traverse back to where you were. It's really frustrating.

True, LBW worlds dungeons are much shorter then OoT dungeons, they have a check point half way though, and are generally more open so it's very quick to get back to where you were, or take a different path you didn't explore earlier.

neoism

No fairy revives don't count as death in any Zelda game, they only restore 5 hearts in this game though so you really should only have 1 maybe 2, potions are a better use of your bottles.

awesome trying for a no death game but I doubt it will happen lol I have three bottles and I'm at the third dungeon but one has that letter in it :/ so I have 15 hearts with two fairies :p

Rich!

Before I set off on clearing Lorule's dungeons in Hero Mode, I've decided to do a three heart no death run in LTTP. Will be interesting to go back to.

I'll be finished later today.

Top Bottom