• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds Review Thread

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
ARGH. It came down to this or Mario and I had to go Mario. I promised my kids. They both look so good.

This is some Sophie's choice-level bullshit, Gaf. What are the odds we'll get a demo? Slim to none, I'd imagine :(

pariah164

ARGH. It came down to this or Mario and I had to go Mario. I promised my kids. They both look so good.

This is some Sophie's choice-level bullshit, Gaf. What are the odds we'll get a demo? Slim to none, I'd imagine :(
Ask for it as a Christmas gift? At least it's not a niche title like an ATLUS or NIS game.

The second last paragraph of the Destructoid review makes me want this even more.

I really can't stand the "heart" in Zelda games. I don't find it charming...it's simply an annoyance more than anything. If having no heart means having no Navi, no 5 hour tutorial, no talking owl, then sign me up.

Increasingly I agree. As much as I love Link's Awakening and its quirky cast of oddballs, the series has become increasingly bogged down by awkward anime-influenced storytelling tropes and characters that have taken a turn for the outlandish, reaching a nadir with the recent crop of Zelda games.

I am definitely ready for a more bare bones story in the vein of LoZ, AoL or ALttP.

So I haven't read anything in the reviews to indicate whether or not this is suitable for playing in short-bursts.

What's the word on the checkpoint/save system?

takriel

Increasingly I agree. As much as I love Link's Awakening and its quirky cast of oddballs, the series has become increasingly bogged down by awkward anime-influenced storytelling tropes and characters that have taken a turn for the outlandish, reaching a nadir with the recent crop of Zelda games.

I am definitely ready for a more bare bones story in the vein of LoZ, AoL or ALttP.

Just give me some badass villains and intense boss fights along with epic music and a mysterious world to explore, and I'll be fully in love with the game. I think that's exactly what ALBW offers, so we'll see!

So I haven't read anything in the reviews to indicate whether or not this is suitable for playing in short-bursts.

What's the word on the checkpoint/save system?

I will never understand this complaint about handheld games. Close the 3DS it can stay in sleep mode for DAYS draining almost no battery. Who needs a checkpoint system or quicksave feature?

Same goes for Vita, and even DS/PSP games.

Peru

There are different ways of telling a story and establishing a world. Excessive cutscenes and forced encounters and chit chat annoys. Oddball characters, places, encounters that sketch the outlines of a living world with stories to be told is essential to Zelda, imo. I want to come across weirdos in the woods and charming locals in some hut off the beaten path. Let it not be a part of a main story or cinematic moments, let it just be spice to the world, a reward for taking the time when you don't want to rush and want to get to know every nook.

From what I'm reading I think ALBW will give me this, and not the former. At least I hope so.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Would that work?

iw3DsPX.jpg

Reminds me of

2iMnjDv.jpg

(The Sky Flyer in Ape Escape)

Nintendo went fucking beast mode this year. Kind of regretting getting a PS4 so early, otherwise I would have had money for this + 3D World.

I'll have to scrape something together for this though. Sounds like Nintendo said fuck it and made a Zelda ass Zelda game which I've been wishing for for years

afoni

Banned
Gies liked it?

Fuck, my hype hierarchy has now changed. A different game with 'World/s' in the title is now at the top.

This was by no means an easy decision. I don't own either system, so buying both would require serious cash.

You're making a good choice, 3DS has more games than Wii U at the moment (it should, it's been out longer).

And while Mario 3D World should be great, you've got 3D Land on 3DS already.

pariah164

You're making a good choice, 3DS has more games than Wii U at the moment (it should, it's been out longer).

This. So much. I adore 3D Land so much. My favorite Mario game. (Not counting any of the RPGs.)

RagnarokX

Heh, that's kinda like saying "While Super Mario World should be great, you've got Super Mario Land on Gameboy already." It's pretty clear by now that 3D Land will in no way be an interchangeable experience.

Peru

Heh, that's kinda like saying "While Super Mario World should be great, you've got Super Mario Land on Gameboy already." It's pretty clear by now that 3D Land will in no way be an interchangeable experience.

It should be - same team, same philosophy. 3D World more gorgeous and shiny of course, but 3D Land laid the great foundation for it. Your example is completely different.

Seik

Banned

Well to be fair, 3D Land and 3D World will be similar experiences compared to your example: SMW and SML.

I know what you mean though, it's just the example that's terrible. :p

zroid

Banned
It should be - same team, same philosophy. 3D World more gorgeous and shiny of course, but 3D Land laid the great foundation for it. Your example is completely different.

I don't know, I mean I like 3D Land just fine, but damn the course design and variety just looks leaps and bounds ahead in 3D World.

*Not that I'm saying you should buy both a Wii U and 3DS this week just to play both games. :p Have fun with Zelda for now!

While true, it should be said that 3D Land played it very safe while 3D World is going for a much more creative approach akin to the kind of stuff you'd see in the Galaxy games. Personally, I did like 3D Land as it was a fun game, but 3D World looks like a much greater experience for a number of reasons.

Velcro Fly

3D Land is fantastic and if you get a 3DS you should play it. It's one of my favorite 3DS games and basically sold me on the 3DS when it was coming out.

But 3D World looks like it is just so much more. Even throwing out the multiplayer aspect it just looks like it has so much more.

The difference between the two is in no way a sleight toward 3D Land because it's still a really fun game and is a really good showcase for the 3D function.

Peru

While true, it should be said that 3D Land played it very safe while 3D World is going for a much more creative approach akin to the kind of stuff you'd see in the Galaxy games. Personally, I did like 3D Land as it was a fun game, but 3D World looks like a much greater experience for a number of reasons.

In no way did 3D Land play it safe - it changed the gameplay mechanics for 3D Mario in a number of fairly drastic ways and succeeded. A bold new Mario. 3D World is more playing it safe - but of course they will be able to expand on the formula, make it bigger and the worlds more varied. I'm sure it will be a must-play game.

To get back on topic, it looks like this 3DS Zelda also evolves the formula and in so will be able to inspire a console version of the series in the future, like 3D Land. 3DS brings innovation.

pariah164

Am I the only one getting the collector's edition strategy guide for this game?

Also, does anyone want my Oracle of Seasons code? I bought both Ages and Seasons the day they launched on the eShop, so it's useless to me.

3D Land is a great game but it was held back by its platform. 3D World looks to take full advantage of its platform in expanding the scope and content of the game. If 3D Land is a scoop of vanilla 3D World looks like a banana split.
I don't like bananas. :<

RagnarokX

3D Land is a great game but it was held back by its platform. 3D World looks to take full advantage of its platform in expanding the scope and content of the game. If 3D Land is a scoop of vanilla 3D World looks like a banana split.

You should play both, but I don't think 3D Land will in any way be a substitute for 3D World. If you want a more similar example, it's like saying you don't need to play NSMBU because you've got NSMBDS.

Skelter

Banned
Am I the only one getting the collector's edition strategy guide for this game?

Also, does anyone want my Oracle of Season's code? I bought both Ages and Seasons the day they launched on the eShop, so it's useless to me.

I would love it if you still have it!

Rich!

Just changed my 3DS region to France and bought the game from the eShop for £36. Also got it an hour early lol

Downloading now. Fuck yeah.

balohna

Jim Sterling posted his review today on The Escapist. 3.5/5. Says he liked the core gameplay and graphics (praises the graphics a lot actually), but wasn't a fan of the new structure and item rentals. Pointed out a need to grind for rupees, and annoyance at not knowing what to bring with you when you head off somewhere.

watershed

Banned
Jim Sterling posted his review today on The Escapist. 3.5/5. Says he liked the core gameplay and graphics (praises the graphics a lot actually), but wasn't a fan of the new structure and item rentals. Pointed out a need to grind for rupees, and annoyance at not knowing what to bring with you when you head off somewhere.

Few other reviews have mentioned rupee grinding as an issue and many have said that if you enjoy the mini-dungeons and sidequests you will end up with more than enough rupees even if you buy all the items instead of renting.

As for not knowing what items are needed for what areas I see that as part of the open adventure/less handholding aspect.

I finished my review copy last week and could not disagree with Jim more. I never once had to grind for Rupees, and by the end of the game I had bought every item.

In terms of not knowing what items to bring with you into dungeons, they literally signpost that for you outside of them, or at least many of them. Besides that, it's cheap and therefore easy enough to just rent every item at the beginning so you don't have to worry about not having the right items with you at any given time. Honestly, what's he talking about? Neither of these are issues.

balohna

Few other reviews have mentioned rupee grinding as an issue and many have said that if you enjoy the mini-dungeons and sidequests you will end up with more than enough rupees even if you buy all the items instead of renting.

As for not knowing what items are needed for what areas I see that as part of the open adventure/less handholding aspect.

Yeah, not saying I think it'll be a problem. I just didn't want to drop the score in here with no explanation.

I guess I could link it but I'm too lazy to dig it up.

Top Bottom