• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Art Thread

apana

My favorite part about Zelda threads are the crazy pictures you people sometimes post. This is a very broad thread where you can post Zelda concept art, fan art, or any old random pics you find. You can also discuss anything related to Zelda in here. Some possible topics for discussion:

-What artstyle should Nintendo pursue for future Zelda games? (Give examples)

-What do you think about the look of Skyward Sword?

-What will Zelda games look like on Wii 2, assuming its roughly PS360 power level or higher? (Are there any current games Zelda designers should look at? Last Guardian? God of War 3?)

I'll start it off. This is so cute:

Zelda___The_Windwaker.jpg

Salsa

What do you mean.. "you people" ?

DRAMA!

I like my Zelda artsyles to keep changing. Im fine with the one art choice per game thing (at least in the bigger consoles) like from WW to TP to SS.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
l8xdP.jpg

I dig the colors of Wind Waker, but I still don't really care for the character designs.
I'm all for Ocarina style Zelda, but I suppose that's getting a little tired. Skyward seems to have the right idea.

I hope to find some nice wallpapers in this thread. :D

Also, I don't really like the look of Skyward Sword too much, but 1, Iv'e only seen closed, grass and fire environments. I'm sure some big, open areas, ice areas, and temple stuff will look awesome in that style... and 2, I don't play Zelda for the graphics anyway.

HYDE

Banned
gsg-daniela-marinfindslink.jpg

I%20Am%208-Bit%202008%20-%204%20-%20Link%20and%20Ganon-468x.jpg

1255054774037.jpg

Zelda:_Windwaker_-_Link_Ganon_Wallpaper_do347.jpg

Link_Vs__Ganon_by_Codeman052.jpg

Ganon_likes_Link_by_RyuDan.jpg

Link_vs._Ganon_(A_Link_to_the_Past).png

Last one is easily my favorite.....followed very closely by the wind waker one with zelda.

Personally I love what we've seen of the Skyward Sword art. I think what is great about Zelda is its fantasy-orientation. You can have non-realistic graphics that are still really evocative, like those seen in Majora's Mask or Wind Waker.

Personally I like to see Zelda keep evolving in visuals. I loved Wind Waker and I wanted to see what else Nintendo could do with a cel-shaded style, and Skyward Sword I think is a good direction when you consider that the west is the main market for console Zelda games, and that it has (unfortunately) rejected the Wind Waker style.

Really though, what I've seen of Skyward Sword is pretty much what I've wanted for a long time now for Zelda, visually. I do not want a super-realistic Zelda.

Snuggler said:
l8xdP.jpg

I dig the colors of Wind Waker, but I still don't really care for the character designs.
I'm all for Ocarina style Zelda, but I suppose that's getting a little tired. Skyward seems to have the right idea.

I know it's not THAT difficult to make someone look more masculine than Link but woah...

apana

SalsaShark said:
What do you mean.. "you people" ?

DRAMA!

I like my Zelda artsyles to keep changing. Im fine with the one art choice per game thing (at least in the bigger consoles) like from WW to TP to SS.

You caught me, I was clearly referring to Samoan American Zelda fans. They have the best taste in Zelda art.

Poyunch

Link_LOZ_with_items.png

I want to see this in cel-shaded form. It would look like an awesome old anime. I want all the items to be visible too. That would be fun.

HYDE

Banned
linkdx_conceptart_3MnYz.jpg

linkdx_conceptart_bxTbw.jpg

the_legend_of_zelda_a_link_to_the_past_conceptart_E4lt9.jpg

poor chickens of hyrule.
gotta find one more, i'll post it soon.

aha! found it...and another one.

z3-link-in-dungeon.jpg

z3-link-and-impa.jpg

apana

Hyde you are posting really great pictures. I like this one in particular:

Ganon_likes_Link_by_RyuDan.jpg

Also the Terada art is good but I cant see it working in a game.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The A Link to The Past instruction manual art = best Zelda art ever.

/thread

apana

In regards to HD Zelda on Wii 2, it will most likely be an evolution of the realistic twilight princess/oot/mm style of graphics. God of War looked like an oil painting so I think Zelda should go for a renaissance/baroque style. To give you an example look at this guys. This is Link holding Ganon's head:

david-head-goliath.jpg

Actually an image of David and Goliath.

Monocle

apana said:
In regards to HD Zelda on Wii 2, it will most likely be an evolution of the realistic twilight princess/oot/mm style of graphics. God of War looked like an oil painting so I think Zelda should go for a renaissance/baroque style. To give you an example look at this guys. This is Link holding Ganon's head:

david-head-goliath.jpg

Actually an image of David and Goliath.
Why is that boy holding Christian Bale's head?

Terada's art has always represented what I want out of a Zelda game. A game like Demons Souls has provided that type of atmosphere. I don't dig the whole young link/two inch tall link/ and all the cutesey townsfolk. Terada's art shows a true normal looking hero in terms of build, and up against near impossible odds/foes. He looks determined, scared, and the overall tone is dark/exploratory. I've always said that if they could capture his art into a game, it would make for the best Zelda ever, and not just based of looks, but an overall atmosphere. The game should be near void of hints, but the rewards for exploration should be more suprising and useful. I want to be able to enter a dungeon and find out that it's too hard to attempt by getting destroyed, I want to mark that on a map and be able to come back later wondering if the item(s) I found somewhere else might just get me further.

Poyunch

apana said:

http://www.albany.edu/scj/jcjpc/figures/david-head-goliath.jpg[IMG]

Actually an image of David and Goliath.[/QUOTE]

I rather it resemble Tempera paintings. Soft colors and such. That's what I want from my HD Zelda.

[IMG]http://smarthistory.org/assets/images/images/MasaccioTributeMoney.jpg

As far as opinion goes, I don't want another Zelda in the Wind Waker style. Not that that wasn't a good game but it was a little too cute for me.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I'm a big fan of the Wind Waker stained glass art:

Darunia_Window.png

Impa_Window.png

Nabooru_Window.png

Rauru_Window.png

Ruto_Window.png

Saria_Window.png

The Wind Waker fairies were also by far the best and most distinctive.

358px-Great_Fairy_%28The_Wind_Waker%29.png

Loved the prologue art too:

The_Wind_Waker_Prologue_%28Part_3%29.png

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
love terada's nintendo power art -- used to spend a lot of time trying to copy it as a kid

Top Bottom