• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Breath of the Wild will seemingly have dual audio [Up: Nope]

Skeletos311

I'm skeptical. Zelda is already a huge game. Is there just not that much VO they can just throw in 2 languages on a cart or are they just that nice?

Nosgoroth

Good. I liked the English dub, but Japanese performances were better. I also liked Zelda in the Spanish dub, but I don't trust that translation.

(I speak all three)

Meier

That would be fantastic. I tweeted at them asking for it immediately after the trailer ran (not suggesting a correlation, just indicating I was really hoping it would happen). Zelda was amazing!

Dakhil

My guess is there will be 3 versions

NA: English, Spanish, French, Japanese
EU: Italian, Spainish (coining this now), German, French, Japanese, Russian, English
JP: Japanese, English

FTFY.

But I hope this is the case for the North American version, considering the English dub seemed rather lacklustre to me.

Zips

https://twitter.com/dodonpahchi/status/819866353234374657

The English Zelda needs to go home...

no idea what to think with the French one..

Listening to all of them, I actually think the Japanese one might be the worst. Very overdone. The others are mostly similar with varying timings. Some of the timings are a bit off, or are slightly overdone.

This only applies to this one part though. We'll see how the overall performances are when the game comes out.

Plum

I'm skeptical. Zelda is already a huge game. Is there just not that much VO they can just throw in 2 languages on a cart or are they just that nice?

VO is quite limited in the game; it looks like it's going to just be for major story sections and only with the main characters (that aren't Link). Secondary characters and random NPCs are going to just have the classic grunts with text.

-shadow-

Man I hope the game in Europe will support both because that'd be amazing!

https://twitter.com/dodonpahchi/status/819866353234374657

The English Zelda needs to go home...

no idea what to think with the French one..

Why is the English one barely crying?

Edit: I feel like we need this:

untitled-27bjir.jpg

JS3DX

I hope so. Japanese Zelda was killin' it in the trailer.

THIS!

I've always wondered if people's perception changes cause they cant understand the language. Would be funny if Japanese individuals didnt think it was good, but werent well versed in English to notice anything wrong in the English version. (Not that it's good or bad)

The japanese voice actors in this make it FEEL like a high standard movie: You can hear the quality, compromise and dedication in their roles; something the english one seems to lack, as for now at least.

And it's not only with this game: Except very rare instances (like the Mexican dub of Dragon Ball Z), I tend to prefer the original voices in almost everything (movies, anime, etc) than my own language dubs, mainly because it's the ORIGINAL interpretation of what you are seeing.

MoonFrog

Hope this is true. Can't understand Japanese so that'd preserve the old Hylian tongue convention for me somewhat. Also I like how Japanese sounds.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
My guess is there will be 3 versions

NA: English, Spanish, Japanese
EU: Italian, Spainish (coining this now), German, French, Japanese, Russian, English
JP: Japanese, English

NA will have French - or at least the version released in Canada will.

Tripy73

According to this tweet from someone who asked the question to a Nintendo rep during the Paris hands-on event, Zelda will feature both the japanese voices and the english/european dubs, depending on what version you're buying.

https://twitter.com/Blood_Link/status/820613307786788865

I don't know if there was confusion about this, but since Xenoblade X didn't feature that, I thougt it would be nice to have the confirmation.

I'm heard the same thing during the Paris hands-on press event.

JAPANEEEEEEEESEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

I so hope that we get Japanese dubs in Europe. Makes me cry everytime in that trailer. English is so brutish language.

Maybe I'll go with French or Spanish in European version if we won't get Japan. Could be fun.

Thanks. I searched for a Latin American Spanish trailer and found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIoNn7tG_8o

Sounds definitely different from the European Spanish trailer.
So it's getting dubbed into 8 languages then.

That's quite some effort.

Yup, Castillian Spanish and Latin American Spanish sound completly different (even changing lots of words between them), thats why 2 are usually needed.
Neither one is better than the other, and if both are well done like in this case, it basically falls usually to latin american people enjoying the latin american dub and spanish people enjoying their castillian spanish one, with little exceptions here and there.
Im a spaniard and for example think the latin american old woman sounds really good, but in general I still prefer all the voices in my language because it has great actors and Im more accoustumed to it.

And 8 languages is good for Nintendo, and a similar treatment from them was done for Star Fox 64 3DS and Star Fox Zero (IIRC Russian was not done though). Normally an international game dub for a normal game that has it goes only American english, French, castillian spanish, german and Italian, but they seem to be pushing a lot lately to also get latin american spanish and Russian, as both are emergent markets.

But then you have crazy cases like Blizzard doing a huge quantity of different dubs for Overwatch (more than 8), getting things like Brasilian portuguese, south korean, etc...

We, Latin Americans, have the guy who always dubs Morgan Freeman as the Deku Tree.

I'm ok with this.

Wow, they really went for quality it seems. Even if im spaniard I liked the voice of the deku tree in the latin american dub. Our Deku Tree is a really old voice actor that did a bunch stuff in the past, but as he was really old (82), he hasnt done anything lately, so is lovely hearing him again, wouldnt surprise me if this one was his last role before retiring.

Edit: I feel like we need this:

untitled-27bjir.jpg
Might as well post this:Zelda crying in 7 languages.
https://youtu.be/bDaGlqy0jXs

I'm still amazed that people are okay with this game having voice acting at all.
It is what it is, but being Zelda, a series I've always supplemented in-head voices for, I feel a lot more critical towards the performances than I usually do. It's why I'm not really feeling the Japanese voicework when I'm normally okay with brand of acting.

daxgame

god damn yeeeeeees!
I was already depressed but it looks like I can enjoy some nice dubbing this time

edit: hmm, I wonder if it won't just be that the european voices are all packed in... ugh. Time to temper expectations

I can confirmed... Latino Dub is better than Spaniard one.. wth happen there? o_O

I dont really think so. This comes more to preference of course, but I think that while talking, Zeldas voice in castiallian is much better and understandble. The cry itself though, I like it better in latin, the spanish actress does something really strange there (athough not as bad as the english one).

I'm still amazed that people are okay with this game having voice acting at all.

The blips and blops in Twikight Princess HD made it nearly unbearable for me the secont time I played the game on WiiU. The characters were complelty acted as if they had voices yet the just sayed gibberish that didnt even sound good. I didnt had a problem with it some years ago when playing on the Wii.
Im glad everyone has a voice finally except Link.

But will the game have text boxes to go along with the voice acting? Is the VA just for cutscenes?

Im pretty sure becuase of the number of voice actors credited in the latin american trailer (more than voices appear there) that only the cutscenes are acted and not normal gameplay.
Also, all the gameplay footage have characters without real voices right now.

Japanese VO isn't generally better,
English dubs of anime and niche Japanese games are commonly an afterthought and thus bad in comparison.
There are many English dubs that destroy the Japanese.

AHAHAHAHA, what? Their VO industry is simply massively larger than anywhere else, deal with that.

What are those dubs that "destroy" the Japanese originals?

Regio_sk8

Yes Please, I Don't want to play Zelda with the English Dub

Everyone that saw the The live presentation is spoiled now by a better voice acting, also the english dub was in my opinion just OK....

I need a Offcial confirmation or maybe if this is not true and the console being Region free, could the Japanese version have English Subs?

sensui-tomo

AHAHAHAHA, what? Their VO industry is simply massively larger than anywhere else, deal with that.

What are those dubs that "destroy" the Japanese originals?

I know this is ot and i'm not the person you quoted but because you wanna do a dub vs sub, yuyu hakusho, DBZ(this depends solely on how a person can deal with goku's VA for all those performances she does), Baccano , Space Dandy, MGS(adding a game in there), Cowboy bebop(not destroy but matches),Ghost Stories (i'm cheating here), GITS:SAC, Trigun.
Dont laugh at people for liking english dubs.

daxgame

Might as well post this:Zelda crying in 7 languages.
https://youtu.be/bDaGlqy0jXs

It is what it is, but being Zelda, a series I've always supplemented in-head voices for, I feel a lot more critical towards the performances than I usually do. It's why I'm not really feeling the Japanese voicework when I'm normally okay with brand of acting.

Thanks, good video. Dat spanish... "translation"... yeuch.

I'm trying to not get involved in the never-ending "what's the better dub\way to dub discussion", but I'll just say that some people have a funny concept in mind when they suggest that the original (as in: the intended, the reference material) is worse than a foreign dubbing. That's actually the only one greenlit by the original authors, so it matches exactly their vision of the character. And yes, since the authors are japanese in this case, it brings their cultural nuances along.

You can dislike it and that's perfectly fine obviously, especially given the cultural differences and being used to different dubs, but a foreign dub can't be "better" - it can be more akin to your personal taste. But that's not how the character was painted to be, in reality. Let alone when there are always translation inaccuracies.

Thanks, good video. Dat spanish... "translation"... yeuch.

I'm trying to not get involved in the never-ending "what's the better dubway to dub discussion", but I'll just say that some people have a funny concept in mind when they suggest that the original (as in: the intended, the reference material) is worse than a foreign dubbing. That's actually the only one greenlit by the original authors, so it matches exactly their vision of the character. And yes, since the authors are japanese in this case, it brings their cultural nuances along.

You can dislike it and that's perfectly fine obviously, especially given the cultural differences and being used to different dubs, but a foreign dub can't be "better" - it can be more akin to your personal taste. But that's not how the character was painted to be, in reality. Let alone when there are always translation inaccuracies.

This This This.

I feel frustrated when people say that those who are endlessly vocal about wanting dual audio are 'whining'.

We're literally asking for the original work and content to be left intact. To me, a lack of original JP VO is cut content.

Nachos

Their industry might be the one most linked to the typical celebrity circuits (for better or worse), but saying that their industry has the same scope as America's alone is factually untrue. The problem with these debates is that most people focus on anime and nonunion Japanese games, when, for all the talent in it, it's still regarded as bottom of the barrel work – a way for an actor to get their foot in the door, unless they specifically like Japanese media. That's practically how all dubs are, no matter what country, unless it's for a high-profile project. In a lot of cases, the heaviest hitters wouldn't be able to get involved in an anime dub, even if they wanted to.

And even if Japanese voice acting has more of a celebrity culture, most people there wouldn't be able to name a single actor. It's pretty much the otaku who care for that stuff.

Japanese VO is generally better. English VO has gotten better but its not there yet. I mean japanese Voice actresses are stars.

Having taken a bit of Japanese in college and spent time with native speakers:

Japanese VA is NOT better than English VA. It feels more or less the same compared to natural, real-life speech.

Good example: the crying scene. I don't see why people think the Japanese version is emoting better. The English version sounds like someone who's so exasperated and broken they can barely even cry out behind their tears. The Japanese version sounds like someone who really wants us to know they're crying.

Top Bottom