• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Skyward Sword Dropped Wii MotionPlus (for 2 months then added it back in )

onQ123

For a game that is so heavily focused on Wii MotionPlus technology, it's almost unfathomable to imagine The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword without it. And yet, according to the game's producer, Eiji Aonuma, that's exactly what almost happened.

During a recent interview, Aonuma-san revealed to us that after Skyward Sword had been in development for a couple of years with MotionPlus in mind, he started to wonder if this wasn't the direction he wanted to follow for the next big console Zelda title. For two or three months the game was then actually developed without the technology.

Obviously, Aonuma-san eventually came around and brought MotionPlus back into the game, but not without a little help from Katsuya Eguchi, developer of Wii Sports Resort. "Mr. Eguchi came to me and said, 'Look at all these things you can do with Motion Plus, why wouldn't you use this in a Zelda game? It would be strange not to!'"

Of course, Zelda is known for having lots of twists and turns during development, which perhaps accounts for Skyward Sword's delayed release. Until Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto dropped the bomb late last year that the game was only halfway done, most of us were under the impression that it was in fact very close to completion. Aonuma-san explained that while there were a few enemies that you could battle at E3 2010, it was more just a demonstration of how basic swordplay would work than a testament to how the finished product would be.

Aonuma-san elaborated, saying his team wanted to create powerful enemies to clash swords with, like Ghiraham, the boss you could fight at this year's E3. This past year, he and his team were focused on "bringing bigger and bolder swordplay experiences to the game."

Worth the wait.

"This last year we've been testing those ideas, flushing them out, and integrating them into the game, bringing the whole package together. Tying all those elements together has been a big part of what we've done in the last year," Aonuma-san said. Judging from the Skyward Sword demos we've played, it looks like the extra time has paid off.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1176717p1.html

So, would that explain that Miyamoto couldn't control Link back in E3 2010. It didn't want to register at all because it was put in at the last mintue and then delay a whole year to further tweak it?

watershed

Banned
The hype for this game is getting pretty high. I hope it can deliver a great, compelling, at no point tedious, Zelda experience.

Also, Aonuma is always trying to find ways to screw up Zelda. Thank god the motion plus made it back into the game. Woulda been a completely different experience without it.

Truth101

Banned
TL4E said:
Shame they didn't scrap it.

If you want to play an inferior game, then yeah.

Jade Knight 08 said:
So, would that explain that Miyamoto couldn't control Link back in E3 2010. It didn't want to register at all because it was put in at the last mintue and then delay a whole year to further tweak it?

No, it was interference.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
TL4E said:
I disagree. This looks to be the first use of motion controls that isn't tacked on.. it literally allows more gameplay possibilities than without.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Crazy! Super excited for this game though!

Jade Knight 08 said:
Miyamoto was drunk. Didn't you read the Iwata Asks?

Jade Knight 08 said:
That seems like a convoluted explanation. I highly doubt Nintendo would go up on stage with the game if there was any indication it wasn't going to work.

Seda

Jade Knight 08 said:

Yeah......right.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Jesus, get Aonuma out of Zelda for God's sake. How can you even start to think that M+ might not be a right fit for a freaking Zelda game? Unless you absolutely loathe motion controls, but then why would you work at Nintendo in the first place.

scitek

Jade Knight 08 said:

No, they let people play it afterward and it worked perfectly well. I played it.

Bit-Bit

Jade Knight 08 said:
That was interference. All of the demo on the show floor worked great.

Poyunch

Yeah as much as I love Aonuma's Zelda worlds he should stay away from actually developing them. First Twilight Princess and now this.

RPGCrazied

I still don't have it. I had no desire to play Wii Resort. I hope the golden wiimote has it built inside, I think I want try and get it, long as its not too expensive.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Kilrogg said:
Jesus, get Aonuma out of Zelda for God's sake. How can you even start to think that M+ might not be a right fit for a freaking Zelda game? Unless you absolutely loathe motion controls, but then why would you work at Nintendo in the first place.
Well, he's getting less involved. This is the first console Zelda he hasn't directed or co-directed since A Link to the Past.
RPGCrazied said:
I still don't have it. I had no desire to play Wii Resort. I hope the golden wiimote has it built inside, I think I want try and get it, long as its not too expensive.
All Wiimotes have M+ built in now.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Pretty sure this isn't actually news. I remember an old interview that said the same thing, that the Wii Sports Resort people inspired the team into getting MotionPlus to work. This was well before we actually saw the game in action last year.

CrazyDude

Krev said:
Well, he's getting less involved. This is the first console Zelda he hasn't directed or co-directed since A Link to the Past.

All Wiimotes have M+ built in now.
He didn't direct or co-direct OOT.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
TL4E said:
I think this is a case where Wii M+ will improve the gameplay, and force the player to strategize.

For example, it's not like you can waggle to make things work for you now. It seems like it might deliver more gameplay elements to the game in terms of swordplay and other types of attacks. We'll see if SS delivers on that front.

Now if they can take advantage of the pointer controls (which I think is the best thing to come out of the Wii) in a creative way, then that will also be a plus.

J-Rock

Banned
I like hearing this. Good to hear that ideas were really thought over rather than being forced in. MotionPlus has a ton of potential with Skyward Sword.

So when was this 2 months of no Motion+? 2009?
Kilrogg said:
Sounds more like the Zelda team couldn't get M+ controls right, so scrapped the idea until the guys who made Wii Sports Resort came over and showed them how it could work.
I don't think Aonuma hates motion controls.

J-Rock

Banned
Jade Knight 08 said:

As many have said, floor demos worked fine. News reported that everywhere. It was an on stage malfuntion. Interference.

TL4E

Dark Schala said:
I think this is a case where Wii M+ will improve the gameplay, and force the player to strategize.

For example, it's not like you can waggle to make things work for you now. It seems like it might deliver more gameplay elements to the game in terms of swordplay and other types of attacks. We'll see if SS delivers on that front.

Now if they can take advantage of the pointer controls (which I think is the best thing to come out of the Wii) in a creative way, then that will also be a plus.
It's just glorified waggle to me. I'm not particularly impressed by that boss fight, and I think Nintendo can find more productive ways of innovating Zelda. That is to say, Zelda has never been about the battles to me, but more about the exploration, puzzle solving, sense of atmosphere, etc.

Jesus, if Aonuma hadn't been interfered with we may have ended up with another OoT formula Zelda.

(I like to think that the new control scheme may have sparked some creativity for the team)
PounchEnvy said:
Yeah as much as I love Aonuma's Zelda worlds he should stay away from actually developing them. First Twilight Princess and now this.
Agreed. He needs a break from the series after SS.

J-Rock

Banned
Dark Schala said:

Good god that person playing doesn't understand that you don't have shake the remote around like crazy. Dumb player is dumb.

Reminds me of people who button mash during fighting games.

I'm kinda looking forward to the motion+ integration in SS. If any place Zelda games have been lacking in innovation, it's been the combat. Maybe we'll see something beyond the standard boss formula of: attack boss enemy at it's weak point with the weapon you found in the dungeon until it's 'vulnerable' and then beat the crap out of it with your sword or weapon of choice.

Diffense

Tathanen said:
Pretty sure this isn't actually news. I remember an old interview that said the same thing, that the Wii Sports Resort people inspired the team into getting MotionPlus to work. This was well before we actually saw the game in action last year.

This.

I remember Miyamoto specifically saying, in a 2010 E3 interview, that he asked Mr Eguchi to approach Aonuma about M+.

Poyunch

DeaconKnowledge said:
Here we go..

What did Aonuma do with it that displeases you?
It has nothing to do with the game but I do believe development was troubled. It had less to do with his decision but he let his team go all out without his supervision while he worked on Twilight Princess. I love what he does for Zelda but he's definitely burned out.

Diffense

J-Rock said:
Good god that person playing doesn't understand that you don't have shake the remote around like crazy. Dumb player is dumb.

Reminds me of people who button mash during fighting games.

Nah...she isn't waggling all the time.
However, if you don't shake the sword when Ghirahim grabs it, he can take it from you and attack you with it (saw that happen in another video..lol)
So I think that Ghirahim's blocks coincides with when she starts shaking the Wiimote.

EDIT: Video mentioned above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3o5TWzPmk8#t=4m40s

fernoca

Kinda gives the impression that they've been basically shoehorning motion plus/motions in general into the game; when I thought they were supposed to design the game around them.

J-Rock

Banned
Diffense said:
Nah...she isn't waggling all the time.
However, if you don't shake the sword when Ghirahim grabs it, he can take it from you and attack you with it (saw that happen in another video..lol)
So I think that when he blocks coincides with when she starts shaking the Wiimote.

Well she's mostly just swinging crazy without thinking. It reminds me of people who buttom mash and wonder why half of the button presses done hit onscreen. There are moments where you see the 1 to 1 stuff but then she has an epileptic fit and fucks it all up. I'm tempted to make a joke about girl gamers but I'll play nice.

elektrixx

Banned
fernoca said:
Kinda gives the impression that they've been basically shoehorning motion plus/motions in general into the game; when I thought they were supposed to design the game around them.

That's the vibe I get from this too. It's not encouraging.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I can't wait for the Iwata Asks entries for this, I want to hear what Fujibayashi has to say about his biggest Zelda game.

elektrixx said:
That's the vibe I get from this too. It's not encouraging.

This news is at least a year old, back when there was almost nothing done. They have been building the game around M+, even if it didn't start out that way.

J-Rock

Banned
fernoca said:

Aonuma-san revealed to us that after Skyward Sword had been in development for a couple of years with MotionPlus in mind, he started to wonder if this wasn't the direction he wanted to follow for the next big console Zelda title. For two or three months the game was then actually developed without the technology.

clav

Wow thank goodness it's still there.

Nintendo really dropped the ball for WiiMotion Plus. There are barely any titles that use that technology.

RagnarokX

fernoca said:
Nah, it sorta sounds like what we already knew about the game. Miyamoto expressed interest in making a Zelda with motion plus, but he was worried because of the recalibration problems. They were having a lot of trouble with it. Back when they formally revealed Skyward Sword, Miyamoto or Aonuma said it was because work on Wii Sports Resort had uncovered techniques that saved motion plus in Zelda.

-A few years before E3 2010: development on SS with motion plus
-A couple of months in probably early 2009, motion plus dropped due to problems.
-Wii Sports guy helps Aonuma fix swordplay in SS. SS shown at E3 2010 fully utilizing motion plus

I'll never understand IGN. They love to post ancient news as if it just happened and then confuse everybody.

I believe they even reported the exact same thing when it was first stated...

FGMPR

Banned
I wouldn't care at all if they at least gave you the option to use the GC zelda control scheme with the GC pad. As it stands, there is a good chance I will have a better time re-configuring the motion controls over to a 360 pad and playing it on Dolphin (that is, if/when, it eventually runs).

Any kind of controversy Nintendo is heading into with this control scheme could easily be avoided by simply providing options.

Top Bottom