• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Skyward Sword Dropped Wii MotionPlus (for 2 months then added it back in )

FGMPR said:
I wouldn't care at all if they at least gave you the option to use the GC zelda control scheme with the GC pad. As it stands, there is a good chance I will have a better time re-configuring the motion controls over to a 360 pad and playing it on Dolphin (that is, if/when, it eventually runs).

Any kind of controversy Nintendo is heading into with this control scheme could easily be avoided by providing options

It doesn't work like that. The game is designed around motion controls.

gdt

Yeah, the way it looks now, MP is absolutely integral to the game. Can't wait to see what they've come up with.

The thing about doing the right thing with motion controls, so that they aren't just less accurate replacements for button presses, is that you can't replace them with button presses. This isn't DKCR.

FGMPR said:
Any kind of controversy Nintendo is heading into with this control scheme could easily be avoided by simply providing options.

It's true that the game is designed specifically for M+, but there are ways to configure that to a standard controller.

I had a concept a while back to bring the controls to the classic controller, but some others made me realize that Nintendo wants to give us the experience of actually controlling Links sword. If they gave the option for both, a good number of people would never actually use the motion and never experience it.

Of course, motion isn't for everyone. Personally, I can't wait to play this game, but some people won't care for it. While I would like to see more options from Nintendo, I can see why they would want to make the motion controls mandatory.

Korigama

Akainu said:
Motion+ comes free with the game right? I'm not buying it otherwise.

This is something I've been hoping to find an answer to as well (don't know if it's been addressed anywhere yet). I figured it would be reasonable to expect that to be the case when accounting for both Flingsmash and Wii Play Motion having done it, but having confirmation would be nice.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Korigama said:
This is something I've been hoping to find an answer to as well (don't know if it's been addressed anywhere yet). I figured it would be reasonable to expect that to be the case when accounting for both Flingsmash and Wii Play Motion having done it, but having confirmation would be nice.
I imagine there'll just be a bundle with the gold wiimote.

ciD_Vain

Does this come with Skyward Sword in the form of a separate bundle? or have we not had the details yet?

2be2bl.jpg

edit: sorry, it's been asked a few times already.

Korigama said:

I heard there'll be a special edition with a gold wiimote pack in that has motion+ in it. Don't recall where I heard it though.

fernoca

RagnarokX said:
Nah, it sorta sounds like what we already knew about the game. Miyamoto expressed interest in making a Zelda with motion plus, but he was worried because of the recalibration problems. They were having a lot of trouble with it. Back when they formally revealed Skyward Sword, Miyamoto or Aonuma said it was because work on Wii Sports Resort had uncovered techniques that saved motion plus in Zelda.

-A few years before E3 2010: development on SS with motion plus
-A couple of months in probably early 2009, motion plus dropped due to problems.
-Wii Sports guy helps Aonuma fix swordplay in SS. SS shown at E3 2010 fully utilizing motion plus
Yeah, that makes more sense. Thanks. :p

Almost had a heart attack before seeing the parentheses (not really). The game would be totally different without that and probably a lot less awesome.

loosus

Banned
For the love of all that is good, please get Aonuma off Zelda. Completely. In addition to there not being any really good Zelda games since Ocarina of Time, and in addition to the recent ones being just fucking tedious and slow, this interview really makes him sound borderline incompetent. It sounds like the Wii Sports guy has it more together for Zelda than fucking Aonuma does.

Aonuma really should not be in charge of any action games. It's obvious that he would be better with some kinda real, turn-based RPG or the like. Since his reign, Zelda has increasingly relied on story for the game to even be entertaining, whereas the older Zelda games had just enough storyline to make what you were doing in the games make sense. Ocarina of Time was the turning point, and it has been downhill ever since.

He even stated in an interview once that he didn't like the original NES Zelda because there were too many options for the player. It wasn't linear enough for him. This series is simply not up his alley, and he is partially responsible for the decline of the series.

Aonuma 2006:

TnGkg.jpg

Aonuma circa 2010:

FrZtj.jpg

Being the guy who has to balance the Zelda franchise and the often conflicting wishes of fans ages you in the same way that being POTUS does.

watershed

Banned
loosus said:
For the love of all that is good, please get Aonuma off Zelda. Completely. In addition to there not being any really good Zelda games since Ocarina of Time, and in addition to the recent ones being just fucking tedious and slow, this interview really makes him sound borderline incompetent. It sounds like the Wii Sports guy has it more together for Zelda than fucking Aonuma does.

Woah, careful now. Marjora's Mask, Windwaker, and Twilight Princess are all still very good, if not great games. You don't come across quality like that everyday in the game industry. Zelda fans may have their issues with those titles, but they are undeniably solid games that would be amazing titles for any series other than Zelda. But even with the burden of the Zelda legacy they are solid games, some with more flaws than others but by no means bad games.

Diffense said:
Nah...she isn't waggling all the time.
However, if you don't shake the sword when Ghirahim grabs it, he can take it from you and attack you with it (saw that happen in another video..lol)
So I think that Ghirahim's blocks coincides with when she starts shaking the Wiimote.

EDIT: Video mentioned above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3o5TWzPmk8#t=4m40s
I read in the E3 thread that you can simply pull back the remote to free the sword instead of waggling like a lunatic.

DanteFox

loosus said:

Aonuma really should not be in charge of any action games. It's obvious that he would be better with some kinda real, turn-based RPG or the like. Since his reign, Zelda has increasingly relied on story for the game to even be entertaining, whereas the older Zelda games had just enough storyline to make what you were doing in the games make sense. Ocarina of Time was the turning point, and it has been downhill ever since.

He even stated in an interview once that he didn't like the original NES Zelda because there were too many options for the player. It wasn't linear enough for him. This series is simply not up his alley, and he is partially responsible for the decline of the series.
loosus
has finally stopped feigning sanity
(Today, 10:23 PM)
Reply | Quote

loosus

Banned
artwalknoon said:
Woah, careful now. Marjora's Mask, Windwaker, and Twilight Princess are all still very good, if not great games. You don't come across quality like that everyday in the game industry. Zelda fans may have their issues with those titles, but they are undeniably solid games that would be amazing titles for any series other than Zelda. But even with the burden of the Zelda legacy they are solid games, some with more flaws than others but by no means bad games.
That is where you lost me. No, those games are largely not fun and are indeed bad games. They, along with their DS brethren, are why the series is no longer placed on a pedestal. I am not going into the reasons because it has been listed repeatedly on GAF, but those games are simply not fun.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Glad they kept it in. Good decision on their part. This game is gonna rule.

loosus said:
That is where you lost me. No, those games are largely not fun and are indeed bad games. They, along with their DS brethren, are why the series is no longer placed on a pedestal. I am not going into the reasons because it has been listed repeatedly on GAF, but those games are simply not fun.
I feel like you should probably make room for the fact that you are alone, or at least in a great minority, with this rather subjective opinion.

If you don't want to go in to your reasons why you think these are bad games, fine, no one can make you. But I wouldn't keep stamping my foot and doggedly going "BUT THEY ARE, OKAY?!" because that just makes you look stupid.

loosus said:

Dude, you're nuts. There's nothing good about Ocarina of Time.

ShockingAlberto said:
I feel like you should probably make room for the fact that you are alone, or at least in a great minority, with this rather subjective opinion.

If you don't want to go in to your reasons why you think these are bad games, fine, no one can make you. But I wouldn't keep stamping my foot and doggedly going "BUT THEY ARE, OKAY?!" because that just makes you look stupid.

I just want this post to be seen once again.

James Woods said:
Fuck this thread.

I do believe that was just a joke.

Edit: Nevermind, go about your business.

So the only option is a bundle with that gold Wiimote? I don't need another controller and I don't really want to buy a MotionPlus just for one game.

Ebenezer

Banned
From the gameplay videos it looks like it's all premade horizontal slice, vertical slice, and thrust animations so I'm sure the combat could easily be played with a dual analog controller if mapped correctly. It's the 3D puzzle piece door opening sequence and the other spin the sword door opening sequence that might be a little trickier, maybe.

Kard8p3

loosus said:

Wow all these years I thought they were great games but I guess since you said it then in must be true.

Pyrokai said:
Pretty sure he was kidding ;)

Also, all Zelda games are, at the very least, good. Most are excellent.

Kinda, but not really. Not a fan of 3d Zelda games, I just wanted to point out that there's nothing really significant about Ocarina of Time that distinguishes it from its three sequels. Same combat, same exploration, same disjointed overworlds.

Ebenezer said:
From the gameplay videos it looks like it's all premade horizontal slice, vertical slice, and thrust animations so I'm sure the combat could easily be played with a dual analog controller if mapped correctly. It's the 3D puzzle piece door opening sequence and the other spin the sword door opening sequence that might be a little trickier, maybe.

Yeah, if anyone's interested: The concept I had last year went a little something like this...

classic-control-zelda.png

There were a few other details, but I have forgotten exactly what they were. Pretty sure it could be done, but it would probably be clunky.

If anyone wants to try mapping this on the dolphin when it comes out, by all means, go for it.

watershed

Banned
IrrelevantNotch said:
Kinda, but not really. Not a fan of 3d Zelda games, I just wanted to point out that there's nothing really significant about Ocarina of Time that distinguishes it from its three sequels. Same combat, same exploration, same disjointed overworlds.

OoT came first, it set the standard and changed the industry, that's what set it and mario 64 apart from just about any other game. So maybe the issue (if there was one) is that the sequels are too similar to the original not that the original is too similar to the sequels.

M-PG71C

Two pages in and the Zelda freaks are starting to crawl out of the woodwork. There's Nintendo fans...and then there's the Zelda fans. There's no appealing to those fuckers. They are worse than any series fanboys, bar none. They are like the emo kids of the industry, you can never make them happy, at all.

OoT, MM, WW, TP...these are all excellent games and are some of the most quality works in the industry. But not for Zelda fans, they are all over the fucking place with these games.

My opinion doesn't matter though, I like Zelda II the best so whatever. I digress, I'm glad they are keeping motion controls in, about damn time we move forward from conventional controllers. Motions controls can really do the industry a favor...provided the right people are behind it.

I say bring it, I'm willing to bet it will be pretty damn sweet.

Poyunch

In actuality one could look to Metal Gear Rising since it does something similar to Skyward Sword. But I'm happy they made it Motion Plus exclusive.

M-PG71C said:
Two pages in and the Zelda freaks are starting to crawl out of the woodwork. There's Nintendo fans...and then there's the Zelda fans. There's no appealing to those fuckers. They are worse than any series fanboys, bar none. They are like the emo kids of the industry, you can never make them happy, at all.
You should see the most recent Skyward Sword the overall tone is excitement at Skyward Sword.

artwalknoon said:
OoT came first, it set the standard and changed the industry, that's what set it and mario 64 apart from just about any other game. So maybe the issue (if there was one) is that the sequels are too similar to the original not that the original is too similar to the sequels.

It didn't change the industry. It introduced lock-on combat. That's it.

Luth1en

I don't own Wii Motion Plus and I refuse to pay money for it. Have they mentioned whether it'll be bundled with the game or not ?

Poyunch

Luth1en said:
I don't own Wii Motion Plus and I refuse to pay money for it. Have they mentioned whether it'll be bundled with the game or not ?
If there was a bundle it would cost more than the regular game, thus you'd be paying for it. You're in quite a pickle. You don't have to worry about this dilemma yet since no bundle has been announced.

ShockingAlberto said:
Aonuma 2006:

http://i.imgur.com/TnGkg.jpg[IMG]

Aonuma circa 2010:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FrZtj.jpg[IMG]

Being the guy who has to balance the Zelda franchise and the often conflicting wishes of fans ages you in the same way that being POTUS does.[/QUOTE]Holy shit.

First rule of making high profile games like this...don't worry about the fans. Just be creative.

Which he hasn't been, really...

Ebenezer

Banned
TheCongressman1 said:
Yeah, if anyone's interested: The concept I had last year went a little something like this...

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/TheCongressman1/Random/classic-control-zelda.png[IMG]

There were a few other details, but I have forgotten exactly what they were. Pretty sure it could be done, but it would probably be clunky.

If anyone wants to try mapping this on the dolphin when it comes out, by all means, go for it.[/QUOTE]

I think what I would do is take what you have marked as the "Action" button and make it like a "Free Movement" modifier button. While held the right analog stick would freely move the sword or control the manipulation of those 3D puzzle pieces instead of striking, slashing, etc.

Edit: which might be exactly what you were getting at lol

onQ123 said:
Obviously, Aonuma-san eventually came around and brought MotionPlus back into the game, but not without a little help from Katsuya Eguchi, developer of Wii Sports Resort. "Mr. Eguchi came to me and said, 'Look at all these things you can do with Motion Plus, why wouldn't you use this in a Zelda game? It would be strange not to!'"
This one made me laugh out loud.

FGMPR

Banned
Ebenezer said:
I think what I would do is take what you have marked as the "Action" button and make it like a "Free Movement" modifier button. While held the right analog stick would freely move the sword or control the manipulation of those 3D puzzle pieces instead of striking, slashing, etc.

Wouldn't it be easier to map onto a mouse and keyboard?

daffy

Banned
rainking187 said:
So the only option is a bundle with that gold Wiimote? I don't need another controller and I don't really want to buy a MotionPlus just for one game.
It'll be sold separately as well. I think most Wiimotes being sold currently have WM+ built in, called Wiimote Plus.
Luth1en said:
Nintendo plans to bundle the Gold Wiimote Plus with Zelda according to Kotaku. Both will also be sold separately.

watershed

Banned
IrrelevantNotch said:
It didn't change the industry. It introduced lock-on combat. That's it.

In another thread just now I was trying to convince a fellow gaffer that Square Enix and Nintendo are not in comparable situations as far as industry standing/success this gen. That went nowhere.

And I was just about to try to convince you that Zelda 64 did indeed change the industry, specifically in 3d world design but its honestly not worth it. But I will say this, do you remember the game dark cloud? It ended up being released on the ps2 and was billed all through development as the zelda killer. This was long before Wind Waker so they were referring to Zelda 64. An entire generation later Level 5 and Sony were still trying to outdo what Zelda 64 was able to accomplish. Just food for thought.

Ebenezer said:
Edit: which might be exactly what you were getting at lol

I can't remember exactly how I had it back then, but there was a way to control the sword freely, and a way to make slashes. There are several ways to go about it, but I'm not going to bother with it anymore. At least not until I get a computer that will run wii games.

FGMPR said:
Wouldn't it be easier to map onto a mouse and keyboard?

Well, that would certainly be easier, but this whole idea came about as a proof of concept that Nintendo could use standard controls on the Wii.

Orayn

loosus said:
To you. Not fun to you. Unless of course you have some sort of scientific system for measuring fun, or can convince me that I didn't enjoy those games. I'd like to see either.

Top Bottom