• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Skyward Sword Spoiler Thread: Retelling the Legend without the black bars

This

tumblr_lvan0bp0Q91qeh39oo2_500.gif
He's been told he has to go to Faron again to collect Kaepora's soaps and the imprisoned is out of prison again!

Okay, so I just beat the game. I loved it, though there were a few loose ends they could've tied up. Something in particular has been driving me crazy. In the temple in the sealed grounds, if you sit on the stool where you plant the tree, someone says "..." to you. I assumed it was Impa, but after I actually planted the tree, the camera zooms out in a long, unskippable pan of the tree you planted, and then the game says "..." Who the hell is saying that to me, and what the hell is the tree of life supposed to be exactly?

Additionally, what happens to all of the different races? Do the skyloft people who don't become Hylians turn into bird people? Where did those two Gorons come from? Where are the Zoras? Do they evolve from those jellyfish people? What happens to the three dragons? Where did the Goddess Hylia come from? Was she created by the three goddesses from Ocarina?

What made this game for me was the characterization. I fell in love with Spirit Tracks because the characters felt so alive and full of expression. Watch the cutscene where Zelda goes to sleep and tell me the Link in this game has no emotion. You can see him holding back his tears. It made me cry, especially at the thought this Zelda could possibly be the one sleeping in The Adventure of Link. Their relationship was fantastic.

ASIS

This

tumblr_lvan0bp0Q91qeh39oo2_500.gif

And this:

dYAWS.png

Were probably the best expressions in the game. In the second one, Link looks like he's about to snap and choke a bitch.

Can you gif the one where Zelda is talking to link right before the tornado hits? When she was still in her loftwing. That was some good expressions as well.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That blank stare made me laugh...but it makes sense considering everything Zelda just told Link. Also reminded me of that one picture with that Smash Brothers tournament winner getting hugged by a chick. :)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Can you gif the one where Zelda is talking to link right before the tornado hits? When she was still in her loftwing. That was some good expressions as well.

Good? My friend, those Zelda expressions are the best! The ones they show after "Hey Link!" The overall atmosphere and that music... Personally my best SS moment, even though it was so brief.

And damn it, we never found out in the end what's the whole deal with Zelda wanting to talk something to Link before Ghirahim screws things up. What something? Gaaahhhh.

Lunar15

Was I the only person who actually liked the imprisoned fights? I'm not being blind in my love for the game, I can point out other flaws (such as protecting scrapper and the note gathering) I just legitamately liked them, and I liked how they kept changing it up each time. Even cooler to me is that you can go about it in different ways. Like, in the first battle I kept knocking him down. In the second battle I would stun him but then hop on his head and take him down. In the third they threw the curveball with him flying.

I dunno, I just enjoyed those fights, and they paced them out to the point where it wasn't annoying.

Phenomic

Was I the only person who actually liked the imprisoned fights? I'm not being blind in my love for the game, I can point out other flaws (such as protecting scrapper and the note gathering) I just legitamately liked them, and I liked how they kept changing it up each time. Even cooler to me is that you can go about it in different ways. Like, in the first battle I kept knocking him down. In the second battle I would stun him but then hop on his head and take him down. In the third they threw the curveball with him flying.

I dunno, I just enjoyed those fights, and they paced them out to the point where it wasn't annoying.

I feel like people didn't find that he changed all that much though. You still had to knock him down the same way in each fight and go drive this weird stake thing into his head. Okay so he grew arms and could fly. He never climbed anything on my watch and he never flew anywhere either. Thanks to the cannon and my trusty blade. I mean did it ruin the game for me? No, but did I find it less than enjoyable and some what annoying at times.

Dynedom

Just finished the game. Thought the ending was pretty good. I really appreciated Zelda's adventure playing through the credits to fill in the blanks. Very very nice touch.

Also LOL @ the master troll of saying Ganon isn't in this game. Yes yes I know it's not ACTUALLY Ganondorf. I meant he looks so much like him.

Area of the final battle was good but I felt the final battle itself was anticlimactic. Beat it rather easily and it was just shield-deflect to slash over and over again. =\ Oh well. I'm glad it ended in a sword right but I felt Griharim's battles were a bit more dynamic (when the motion controls were working properly, anyway).

Don't think I'm going to go through Hero Mode. Not anytime soon anyway.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Hop on his head?

What I don't like about the second Imprisoned fight is for me there's certain element of luck involved. If the place it falls down had a nearby air bursts, that's good but if not... gaah.

RagnarokX

Hop on his head?

What I don't like about the second Imprisoned fight is for me there's certain element of luck involved. If the place it falls down had a nearby air bursts, that's good but if not... gaah.

Huh? You don't have to wait for him to climb. Get above him and then have Groose lob a bomb at him. Then jump down and nail down the sealing stake. The third fight was really epic and intense. Having to climb up to Groose from the bottom with the Imprisoned flying rapidly towards the temple. Sticking the landing and nailing down the seal. So good.

Koodo

Banned
I loled at how the island just came crushing down and squished Demise. The only thing missing was an appropriate *squish* sound effect.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Huh? You don't have to wait for him to climb. Get above him and then have Groose lob a bomb at him. Then jump down and nail down the sealing stake. The third fight was really epic and intense. Having to climb up to Groose from the bottom with the Imprisoned flying rapidly towards the temple. Sticking the landing and nailing down the seal. So good.

O________________________________________________________O

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

So you're saying that on the second imprisoned fight you don't have to slash off all of his toenails first to make him fall?

Dynedom

Iwata never said that.

(and Ganon wasn't in the game but whatever)

*sigh*

It was essentially him. Just not in name. His entire appearance is modeled off Ganondorf. Dark/black skin, blazing orange hair. Come on now. If anything, the game is hinting that Ganondorf might be Demise's reincarnation (establishing some sort of link to Zelda canon) but that is probably reading too far into it. By physical appearance, he's Ganon.

Anyway I'm sure it wasn't Iwata who said it but I remember reading an article of someone linked to the game talking about how (and possibly why) Ganondorf wasn't in the game. Sorry, I should have said "lol Fujibayashi".

RagnarokX

O________________________________________________________O

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

So you're saying that on the second imprisoned fight you don't have to slash off all of his toenails first to make him fall?

You never have to do that. Just stun him and get on his head.
*sigh*

It was essentially him. Just not in name. His entire appearance is modeled off Ganondorf. Dark/black skin, blazing orange hair. Come on now. If anything, the game is hinting that Ganondorf might be Demise's reincarnation (establishing some sort of link to Zelda canon) bu that is probably reading too far into it. By physical appearance, he's Ganon.

Anyway I'm sure it wasn't Iwata who said it but I remember reading an article of someone linked to the game talking about how (and possibly why) Ganondorf wasn't in the game.
Demise just said his hatred would live on and reincarnate. Ganon isn't really Demise. Ganon's reason for having hatred is explained in Wind Waker.

sphagnum

Banned
If anything, the game is hinting that Ganondorf might be Demise's reincarnation (establishing some sort of link to Zelda canon) but that is probably reading too far into it.

It is, and it's something a bunch of people keep doing. Ganondorf is not Demise's reincarnation - he's an incarnation of Demise's hatred. He's the anti-Link. While the Links are the incarnations of the Spirit of the Hero, the Ganons are the incarnations of the hate of Demise. They still have their own motivations, histories, personalities, etc., but they are destined to be in the roles they are in because of the animating forces they are imbued with.

Dynedom

Demise just said his hatred would live on and reincarnate. Ganon isn't really Demise. Ganon's reason for having hatred is explained in Wind Waker.

Yeah like I said, it's probably reading too much into it. There's a huge assumption that all Zelda games are linked within the same canon, which might be debatable anyway. I haven't played all of them to have that debate though, lol.

It is, and it's something a bunch of people keep doing. Ganondorf is not Demise's reincarnation - he's an incarnation of Demise's hatred. He's the anti-Link. While the Links are the incarnations of the Spirit of the Hero, the Ganons are the incarnations of the hate of Demise. They still have their own motivations, histories, personalities, etc., but they are destined to be in the roles they are in because of the animating forces they are imbued with.

Whether he's a reincarnation of his hate or himself, people are assuming part of Demise is in Ganondorf. From there, you're just arguing semantics. Although yes, the actual in-game dialogue does say his hatred lives on so a "reincarnation of hatred" is probably the better way of saying it.

watershed

Banned
*sigh*

It was essentially him. Just not in name. His entire appearance is modeled off Ganondorf. Dark/black skin, blazing orange hair. Come on now. If anything, the game is hinting that Ganondorf might be Demise's reincarnation (establishing some sort of link to Zelda canon) but that is probably reading too far into it. By physical appearance, he's Ganon.

Anyway I'm sure it wasn't Iwata who said it but I remember reading an article of someone linked to the game talking about how (and possibly why) Ganondorf wasn't in the game. I say "lol Iwata" becausse it's his game and he was pretty sneaky with it.

How closely were you paying attention when you played the game? Demise is not Ganon that is fact. But Ganon is the physical embodiment of the curse Demise creates before he dies. The game doesn't hint at a link to Zelda it spells it out. Demise says his hate will follow all the descendents of the Goddess (Zelda) and the Hero (Link) for all time, essentially dooming them then he says something awesome about a sea of blood or something like that.

RagnarokX

Yeah like I said, it's probably reading too much into it. There's a huge assumption that all Zelda games are linked within the same canon, which might be debatable anyway. I haven't played all of them to have that debate though, lol.

Well... there's no assumption with SS, OoT, MM, WW, PH, ST, and TP. Those 7 games have clear connections that don't need to be debated. You should really play them. They're all great... except maybe PH, but I still enjoyed it.

Dynedom

How closely were you paying attention when you played the game? Demise is not Ganon that is fact. But Ganon is the physical embodiment of the curse Demise creates before he dies. The game doesn't hint at a link to Zelda it spells it out. Demise says his hate will follow all the descendents of the Goddess (Zelda) and the Hero (Link) for all time, essentially dooming them then he says something awesome about a sea of blood or something like that.

Oh my god, you people are hilarious. Come on now.

I'm not saying Ganondorf the character is in the game. I'm laughing at the fact that the media/some of the devs pointed out Ganon isn't in the game yet the final boss looks unmistakably like him (or in actuality, Ganondorf looks like Demise). It's more laughing at the fact that you can't have a Zelda finale without something that at least resembles him.

Maybe I should have made that clearer in my original post but I thought people would understand what I was getting at.

Dynedom

Well... there's no assumption with SS, OoT, MM, WW, PH, ST, and TP. Those 7 games have clear connections that don't need to be debated. You should really play them. They're all great... except maybe PH, but I still enjoyed it.

I really need to play through and complete OoT on Virtual Console. Something always got in the way of finishing it and I was enjoying the game a lot. I never actually finished Twilight Princess (I got to the end game, stopped and never went back). I got really bored of TP by the end, hence the fatigue with the game.

I'm dying to build a good PC rig and play Wind Waker on Dolphin though.

sphagnum

Banned

IIRC, Aonuma said relatively recently that there was "one timeline" and people took that to mean he was reneging on the split timeline, but when someone went deeper into the translation it turned out not that he meant there was no split, but that there were no non-split alternate universe (ie, they all take place in the same canon and the Four Sword series, for example, isn't some crazy noncanonical standalone). I don't have any links for that though.

watershed

Banned

I'm not saying Ganondorf the character is in the game. I'm laughing at the fact that the media pointed out Ganon isn't in the game yet the final character looks unmistakably like him (or in actuality, Ganondorf looks like Demise). It's more laughing at the fact that you can't have a Zelda finale without something that at least resembles him.

Maybe I should have made that clearer in my original post but I thought people would understand what I was getting at.

There's nothing wrong with that but I think he looks like Ganon (more like Akuma) because Ganon in all his reincarnations come from the curse Demise creates. Because SS is "the first" zelda so far it makes sense to have that connection. But there have been a handful of zelda games that don't feature Ganon at all with Majora's Mask probably being the best example.

I'm not saying Ganondorf the character is in the game. I'm laughing at the fact that the media/some of the devs pointed out Ganon isn't in the game yet the final boss looks unmistakably like him (or in actuality, Ganondorf looks like Demise). It's more laughing at the fact that you can't have a Zelda finale without something that at least resembles him.

They pointed it out because interviews specifically asked them "Is Ganondorf in this game," and they said "Well the way the story works, we can't have Ganondorf in it, but the story will explain something about him."

Dynedom

There's nothing wrong with that but I think he looks like Ganon (more like Akuma) because Ganon in all his reincarnations come from the curse Demise creates. Because SS is "the first" zelda so far it makes sense to have that connection. But there have been a handful of zelda games that don't feature Ganon at all with Majora's Mask probably being the best example.

Gotcha. I haven't played the DS games so not sure if all of those featured Ganon as the primary antagonist in some form either. I don't think he has a role in Link's Awakening either.

They pointed it out because interviews specifically asked them "Is Ganondorf in this game," and they said "Well the way the story works, we can't have Ganondorf in it, but the story will explain something about him."

Right. I just took this to mean that maybe he wouldn't make any sort of appearance in the game at all (like in a physical appearance). I guess I should have known better. They set out to do what they do. I still chuckle at it though.

Right. I just took this to mean that maybe he wouldn't make any sort of appearance in the game at all (like in a physical appearance). I guess I should have known better. They set out to do what they do. I still chuckle at it though.

But he didn't have a physical appearance.

Berordn

I'm not denying anything since I've forgotten most of TP, but what was the connection there? I know interviews said that the Ganondorf in it is the same one, but was there anything else in the game really connecting it to the others? The one thing I can think of was the Temple of Time, but that was hardly the same (and in a different place from OoT's).

Majora's Mask also takes place in an alternate world, so who knows if his curse applies there at all.

watershed

Banned
So judging by reactions, is this Zelda around the same quality as the DS entries?

Well opinions will vary but I say SS is far above the quality of the ds entries. Obviously the production values are greater and it does make for a better zelda experience to have orchestrated music, the graphics, etc. I like the motion controls much more than the ds' touch controls and the larger scope of the game allows it to be more epic. Also the story is better.

Berordn

Isn't there a blatant reference to OoT in MM though? Actually scratch that. I don't want it spoiled. I'm just going off a convo I had with a friend.

Not really a spoiler, you're the same Link from OoT and two other characters from it play key roles.

Isn't there a blatant reference to OoT in MM though? Actually scratch that. I don't want it spoiled. I'm just going off a convo I had with a friend.

Pretty much the only direct "hey remember this important thing from OoT" reference is the Ocarina and the Song of Time. There's some other referential stuff, but most of them are just easter eggs.

How do you stun him?

In the second and third fight you use the groosinator to stun it.

but you can get on its head in the first fight too. Just go to a higher platform and jump on. I don't think he starts shaking you off until the groosinator is an option to stun it.

edit:

you guys complain about fighting him three times. to get all the heart pieces and best shield, I had to fight him six times. I became very efficient at it.

the Ghirahim fights also get simple once you learn them. You know how he catches your sword? I don't!

yeah, Skyward Sword ain't DS game quality. True ranking:

Awesome:
Everything that isn't Spirit Tracks or Phantom Hourglass

25% Awesome:
Spirit Tracks

Not Awesome:
Phantom Hourglass

Ok, that's unfair. The DS has Four Swords, which is pretty great. It's just weird that for as great as the DS is, it has the worst Mario and Zelda games on it.

Here's where I would rank them

3D Zeldas:
Skyward Sword
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Ocarina of Time
Twilight Princess

Keeping in mind, I loved all these games.

2D Zeldas:
Link's Awakening
Link to the Past
Minish Cap
Zelda II
Oracle of Action (Can't remember which was which)
Okami
Oracle of Puzzles

Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks:
Spirit Tracks
Phantom Hourglass

OKAY SO

Thoughts! The game had a lot of undeniable padding, a lot of questionable decisions that masquerade as padding, and a lot of Nintendo just not giving a fuck, which is why they're both loved and hated.

I think I genuinely did not like The Imprisoned fights. I felt they were really broken. I would probably think they would be a lot less shitty if I brought more than three arrows with me to the latter two.

The last boss fights, including Ghirahim (being Demise's Fi corollary was an awesome thing) and Demise, were absolutely incredible. Tadtones were dumb and there were too many but it was not awful. It was weird how you got all your gear back in Eldin at once at the end.

I loved the game. It was flawed. I don't care.

yeah, Skyward Sword ain't DS game quality. True ranking:

Awesome:
Everything that isn't Spirit Tracks or Phantom Hourglass

25% Awesome:
Spirit Tracks

Not Awesome:
Phantom Hourglass

Ok, that's unfair. The DS has Four Swords, which is pretty great. It's just weird that for as great as the DS is, it has the worst Mario and Zelda games on it.

...Agreed.

Top Bottom