• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Skyward Sword Spoiler Thread: Retelling the Legend without the black bars

wrowa

I'd rather have three or four interesting towns, even though I'm aware it means a lot more effort ;p

In recent times Zelda games always seem to be a zero-sum game. If Nintendo puts more effort into one part of the game, another one suffers. Having a bunch of interesting towns would probably lead to another part of the gaming being left behind, so I gave up hoping that a Zelda game with different interesting towns will ever happen again (that's a scar left behing by TP, never again ;( ).

Actually, I'm really a fan of the one town concept if done right. Despite being a great and rather packed town, I still think that Nintendo merely scratched Skyloft's potential. I would have loved if the town had more secret areas to explore, more of a (meaningful) backstory and mysteries to discover and more interactions between characters (I imagine something like Xenoblade's affinity chart here -- NPCs that have changing relationships towards each other).

I love how right after Ghirahim was shown for the first time in the GDC trailer everyone assumed he too was a sword, just like Fi.
Too bad everyone expected him to be the Gilded Sword instead of a dark Master Sword.

I'm more disappointed that the dark Master Sword or whatever faded away at the end. For some reason I was thinking Demise stuck it in the ground before he vanished, but the sword went before him.

In a teenage dream sort of way, it'd be cool if a Zelda game started out trying to activate this fabled sword (first three dungeons or so) you think is the master sword, but it turns out you've been played by an evil character and reactivate Ghirahim. And then he dances.

Lunar15

One idea I would like to discuss:

I don't think the triforce was on Skyloft.

The Silent Realm isn't an actual place; the game says it's inside Link's mind/spirit. To get the triforce Link had to claim the 3 pieces in the Silent Realm. I think he already had the triforce inside him from the 3 flames, but he had to pull it out of his spirit by proving his worth in that final temple.

Unless that place where Link gets the triforce pieces isn't the Silent Realm and just looks like it.

I didn't really think of it that way, but I like that explanation. It helps the whole "you are forging the hero of legend" element of the game. It also makes it far less arbitrary that the Goddess hid the Triforce in Skyloft this whole time.

daakusedo

What can you skip exactly, all cut scenes?

Yes, cutscenes, that's all, after that's about difficulty.

So, the aquatic creatures are some kind of prehistoric form of zoras?
Is there something in the game more explicit about that, other than assumption?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
In recent times Zelda games always seem to be a zero-sum game. If Nintendo puts more effort into one part of the game, another one suffers. Having a bunch of interesting towns would probably lead to another part of the gaming being left behind, so I gave up hoping that a Zelda game with different interesting towns will ever happen again (that's a scar left behing by TP, never again ;( ).

Actually, I'm really a fan of the one town concept if done right. Despite being a great and rather packed town, I still think that Nintendo merely scratched Skyloft's potential. I would have loved if the town had more secret areas to explore, more of a (meaningful) backstory and mysteries to discover and more interactions between characters (I imagine something like Xenoblade's affinity chart here -- NPCs that have changing relationships towards each other).
I'm well aware of that, unfortunately, and I tend to blame bad management for this. Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword all had troubled development with repentine changes in direction and, apparently, a lot of cut content.

I'd be okay with another game with only one town, I guess, as long as it's packed with sidequests, secrets, and deeper NPCs. I agree that Nintendo merely scratched Skyloft's potential.

And then he dances.
YES.

Garcia

What can you skip exactly, all cut scenes?

Yep, every cut scene is now skippable. Such a shame you can't deactivate Fi or just shut her up for good. You can definitely see how Nintendo thought of its players as retards or idiots by trying to speed-run this game; you can't figure things out by yourself until very late in the game.

Chatin

Ghirahim's ritual with Zelda at the end reminded me a lot of Agahnim's ritual partway through ALttP. And then you play tennis.

I finished this on Thursday noon at 40 hours. One of the lesser Zeldas, a bit disappointing, certainly not GOTY worthy… yet still fun.

+ It stands out on its own because of the new structure.
+ The environments required more items and this was great.
+ Lanayru Desert was the highlight, time stones were a mind-blowing concept. Lanayru’s trial was intense. It was a great moment stumbling upon the ruined robots and first using the stone, then seeing the futuristic constructs of the Temple of Time. It was different! Boat/mine cart riding was fun.
+ Skyloft Town was great with its characters, with its random side quests, the jolly harmless demon Batreaux who likes to participate in scream contests, Strich who only buy bugs at night to uphold a reputation, the clerk who falls in love with Link…
+ It’s quite challenging, the Silent Realms were intense.
+ Mole mitts.
+ Groose, ha ha the dart board with Link’s face on it was great. I expected him to be Ganon’s ancestor after all the build-up.
+ Some great dungeons that played with formula, the sand ship and Skykeep.
+ Some spectacular bosses, using sword strikes on Demise in a thundery, surreal place, stealing big swords from the eastern style statue, the strategic and often exhausting ones with Ghirahim (a complex last battle), the parasite on top on top of the flying whale, and my favourite being the sinking ship with the giant octopus.
+ A less predictable story than usual, I didn’t except all the elaboration about Hylia and the incarnations being cursed. I also expected the town to reach the ground and for Ghir to turn into the trident, he was a great eccentric villain.

Dislike

- Slightly sluggish controls, the axes often mess up on menus, balancing on ropes is awkward e.g Faron, the silent realm in Eldin.
- A stealth part in Eldin, obviously it’s fantasy but it’s weird that the moblins would suddenly decide to capture and steal Link's equipment.
- No new coloured tunics.
- The simple Sky over world.
- Constant hand-holding by Fi.
- A slow beginning.
- Night can only be triggered by sleeping and just for Skyloft town.
- The backtracking through the same regions again got a bit boring.

WTF

Link is a bit of a funny bastard giving Cawlin’s letter to a ghost on the bog, who then haunts the writer. There’s also the part where Link deliberately crashes the lamp on Pumpkin Island. Though no one seems to mind him sleeping in their beds.

lol

after he did that like twice I was like "Hmm, he's using his sword like a lightning rod to power up a skyward strike... I wonder... HOLY CRAP THAT'S FRIGGIN AWESOME!"

Holy crap, I didn't even know you could do that! I just shield bashed him to no end until I got a small opening, and then whacked away at him until he knocked me back. It was a difficult fight, but I still managed to get it on the first try. Now I know what to do in Hero Mode, haha.

That said, my right elbow still hurts a lot after all the shield bashing I did in those final two fights, haha.

I'm surprised I don't see more thoughts about the incorporation of the actual Zelda's Lullaby into the game. That was something I wasn't expecting at all - it truly was a beautiful rendition of the theme, and the nostalgia it induced managed to help make the scenes it was included in even more emotional.

- Night can only be triggered by sleeping and just for Skyloft town.

you can trigger night at the Pumpkin Bar and Beetle's island (both needed to get gratitude crystals and side quests). One is by sleeping inside Beetle's Air Shop and the other is sleeping in one of the two beds at the Pumpkin Bar. But yes, no flying at night.

And yes, sleeping in other people's beds got weird when Link was sleeping next to a man's wife. Or next to Mario Elvis' daughter. Or when Pippin's mom was persistent to have Link sleep there. Or when you slept in Item Check Girl house while she was swooning over you.

My only complaint in this game is the implication that ganon is still the Final boss. Why couldn't they use another model for demise? His story sucked , I felt like that they just added him in as a last minute thing. Would have been cool if they elaborated on who/how/when the dark master sword was.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Anyone else notice how the hats of the little robot guys have an upside down horn on them that look like the horns on Midna's hat?
675WU.png
2Zoaw.png

Or am I imagining things?

Also notice how both only has one eye visible?

SuperAndroid17 said:
My only complaint in this game is the implication that ganon is still the Final boss. Why couldn't they use another model for demise? His story sucked , I felt like that they just added him in as a last minute thing. Would have been cool if they elaborated on who/how/when the dark master sword was.
I don't expect complex villains, but he's the root of all evil in Hyrule and ever so generic. Most people wouldn't have cared if he was Malludus instead.

Kard8p3

In a recent Iwata Asks someone said that a different team worked on each of the three locations. So I'm thinking they should just take the team that worked on the desert and let them design the majority of the areas for the next zelda. I liked all the areas but I think the desert was clearly the best area in the game. Every time you went there you had something new to do in a new part of the desert. It's the only area that gives you a completely new part of the land to go through for the song quest at the end. Going through that last part and using almost every one of your items in quick succession while following the mine cart was amazing.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
In a recent Iwata Asks someone said that a different team worked on each of the three locations. So I'm thinking they should just take the team that worked on the desert and let them design the majority of the areas for the next zelda. I liked all the areas but I think the desert was clearly the best area in the game. Every time you went there you had something new to do in a new part of the desert. It's the only area that gives you a completely new part of the land to go through for the song quest at the end. Going through that last part and using almost every one of your items in quick succession while following the mine cart was amazing.
Maybe they should also toss the team who designed Eldin in a volcano.

BY2K

Membero Americo
No that's Ghirahim.

Btw have any of you pulled out the bug net in the demise fight?

I did. It doesn't work. Demise follows it with his head, but he doesn't let his guard down. At least not long enough for you to put the net away and do slash.

Shafto

Anyone else think that the location of the final battle with Demise reminded them a lot of the fight with Dark Link in OoT?

Garcia

Holy crap, I didn't even know you could do that! I just shield bashed him to no end until I got a small opening, and then whacked away at him until he knocked me back. It was a difficult fight, but I still managed to get it on the first try. Now I know what to do in Hero Mode, haha.

LMAO! I did it the same way! Had no idea you could thunder-charge your sword. I FAIL big time haha :D!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Well technically you have a good version of his sword. It really seems like the master sword and Fi was Hylia's answer to Ghirahim and the sword of Demise.
So Hylia, besides being sneaky and manipulative, was also unoriginal it seems.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So Hylia, besides being sneaky and manipulative.

Just another proof that Gods are assholes. "I choose to put Zelda in danger because I knew that you would come save her and become my chosen hero. Now I must put myself to sleep and you'll never see me again unless you find the Triforce kthxbye."

Garcia

Just another proof that Gods are assholes. "I choose to put Zelda in danger because I knew that you would come save her and become my chosen hero. Now I must put myself to sleep and you'll never see me again unless you find the Triforce kthxbye."

lol yeah, she's such a bitch, but I loved her for that.

Skyward Sword is a mixed bag of the good, the BAD and the spectacular. I would have agreed with the reviews if the whole game was as inventive and offbeat as Lanayru.

canocha

Finally killed Demise, what a pain!

No more electricity/shock in a Zelda game.. that was annoying as hell!!

Btw, what the hell happened in the credits movie.. encoding failure!! (Its was nice to see Zeldas journey..)

Honestly I missed the butt-kicking version from Spirit Tracks and the Wind Waker. It's like she needed a downgrade after her last form was in a Phantom Knight with a very big sword.

canocha said:
(Its was nice to see Zeldas journey..)
How did Zelda get all the way to Eldin without dying before Impa showed up?

After SS this is how I’ll rate them.

God Tier
: Majora’s Mask, Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Ages, A Link to the Past

Admirable Tier: The Minish Cap, Twilight Princess, Oracle of Seasons, The Wind Waker, Link’s Awakening, Four Swords Adventure

Lesser Tier: Skyward Sword, Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass

The NES ones: Not sure, it’s been too long.

After SS this is how I’ll rate them.

God Tier
: Majora’s Mask, Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Ages, A Link to the Past

Admirable Tier: The Minish Cap, Twilight Princess, Oracle of Seasons, The Wind Waker, Link’s Awakening, Four Swords Adventure

Lesser Tier: Skyward Sword, Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass

The NES ones: Not sure, it’s been too long.

...wut? How is Skyward Sword worse than Twilight Prince...oh wait thats right. The Zelda Cycle.

fugimax

Re: Majora's Mask

I'm a huge Zelda fan. HUGE. And I still can't appreciate Majora's Mask. I hate it. HATE IT.

Don't know why. I've tried playing it half a dozen times. I've played through every other one, all the way back to the original, but Majora's Mask is just one I can absolutely not get into.

It's unfortunate, as there as so many good opinions of it, but the entire game just feels off to me. I'm sure it's a good game for those that can actually get into it, but I cannot. Sad times.

Aeana

...wut? How is Skyward Sword worse than Twilight Prince...oh wait thats right. The Zelda Cycle.

I don't like the phrasing of "Skyward Sword is worse than Twilight Princess," but I felt better coming off of TP than I did coming off of SS. I don't dislike SS but by the time I finished it, I felt really disappointed that I had to fight Demise so many times, had to put up with so much extra fluff in general, etc. Just disappointed and exhausted, both mentally and physically. It isn't the first Zelda game I beat where I didn't feel overwhelmingly positive about the experience (Spirit Tracks was, probably), though.

SS is definitely several levels above PH and ST, though. Those are the only Zelda games I actually dislike. I couldn't even finish PH.

BY2K

Membero Americo
This

tumblr_lvan0bp0Q91qeh39oo2_500.gif

And this:

dYAWS.png

Were probably the best expressions in the game. In the second one, Link looks like he's about to snap and choke a bitch.

watershed

Banned
So how did people feel about the ending? I thought it was great especially how it had the 3 emotional peaks of zelda being alive, Impa dying, and saying goodbye to Fi. Then of course there was the awesome final strike against Demise and the awesome end credits with the epilogue hinting at how Hyrule came to be. It seems some people are disappointed in the ending based on reactions in a few threads but I thought it was the most emotionally satisfying ending in just about any zelda. It wasn't an overt celebration more just success and relief.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Whaat. You can beat him without it? XD

Get as close as possible to him. When he attacks, do not defend but backflip instead. Then immediately afterwards slash left/right or forward jump slash.

Always hits, always connects...

It sure is a hell lot less cooler than "fighting lightning with lightning", though.

SS makes loads of steps forwards, interaction, visuals, general dialogue, orchestrated sound, NPCs, modes, treasures, harder, more original, the intro is closer to the hub but one GIGANTIC step is made backwards. It begins to be a chore, what Nintendo forced in the same areas again. It still would have been better if a third of the content was cut. TP had backtracking yet it didn’t take as long to reach a new area.

Twilight portals were more convenient than the sky portals/isolated owls, TP dungeons were both great and bigger. Midna’s wisecracks were good, ask Fi and she often won’t shut up about batteries/hearts. I preferred the flow of TP, how each area was connected more like a traditional world, how night would come out.

It doesn’t help that I recently played through Skies of Arcadia, with its visionary occupied sky, I wouldn’t expect that but there was potential. More air battles with the Loftwing could have been great, being able to get a stable bird, stop and fire arrows towards other fiends would have been great, so I preferred the action-packed rides on Epona. Even in ST there’s many train battles and it can be customised.
… how good Twilight Princess would have been, leaching off the strengths of SS. They were definitely not the sky theme. That’s the thing with modern Zelda, every time a game makes improvements, new weaknesses come.

Like hell Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass are as good as SS.
Not exactly but types of environments show up in those faster (no ice this time), and I found nothing in those games less enjoyable than dowsing for keys/Kikwi/door patterns/notes underwater, up Eldin again with the propeller, and the Demise battles could have been fused. Even the Spirit/Ocean Dungeon introduced a floor every time. I like SS for some different reasons though.

Get as close as possible to him. When he attacks, do not defend but backflip instead. Then immediately afterwards slash left/right or forward jump slash.

Always hits, always connects...

It sure is a hell lot less cooler than "fighting lightning with lightning", though.

Even in the last part of the fight, where he starts attacking with a flurry of hits, there is still enough time to parry each one of them AND strike back as long as you only try to hit him ONCE for each attack you parried. Felt a lot like playing tennis with Ganondorf except much faster, which is why I loved that fight.

Top Bottom