• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Tears of the Kindgom Livestream Announced for April 13

diffusionx

Gold Member
"Some sky islands" or an entire map in the sky? I can't really judge the islands since we got no idea how much there are.

"physics stuff" was listed as one of the most time consuming elements of BoTW.
I can guarantee it takes more resources than making something like a dungeon.
Sure, but again six years. It was six years between SS and BOTW and they had to make all of BOTW from scratch in that time.

BlackTron

Please be a good trailer like the botw launch trailer. That was fucking hype
It was hype but it also poorly represented the actual game. So a well-edited trailer with good music won't have the same effect on me this time. It'll depend on the content and features revealed by the trailer.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Yep. So far i have 0 hype towards ToTK. Lets hope it changes tomorrow
Just curious, what were your thoughts on the original BOTW?

And also, since we've known for a long time that they're using the same map for TOTK, what were your expectations for the sequel? A return to traditional Zelda design (Dungeons, etc)?

Moses85

Still searching my Hype

Where Are You Hello GIF by StittsvilleOnPatrol

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They can't possibly have spent six years building some sky islands and physics stuff. They need to show some new stuff in this trailer.
I'm thinking the exact same thing. Only way that makes sense is if they were in development hell for a long time. Hopefully we'll get clarification soon either way.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'm thinking the exact same thing. Only way that makes sense is if they were in development hell for a long time. Hopefully we'll get clarification soon either way.
I wonder how much COVID had an impact on development (I know it's annoying to hear that, trust me). Meaning, could this have been a 4-year game under normal circumstances? Because I agree that 6 years is a long time to re-use the same map, from what they've shown. If COVID wasn't a factor, then we should expect a bunch of new content or some major surprises.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I wonder how much COVID had an impact on development (I know it's annoying to hear that, trust me). Meaning, could this have been a 4-year game under normal circumstances? Because I agree that 6 years is a long time to re-use the same map, from what they've shown. If COVID wasn't a factor, then we should expect a bunch of new content or some major surprises.
Exactly. Even if they made a whole new map, just the usage of the same engine would reduce development considerably. Think Majora's Mask for example. Even with COVID it doesnt make all that much sense to me. I believe there are some key things we are not seeing yet.

Marvel14

Banned
BoTW sux and TOTK is just lame ass, six year old DLC.

Am I doing it right?

tyler labine pooping GIF by HULU

Also the other thread dude got the "direct" part wrong but the "new TOTK info in a video this week" part right- with the usual suspects taking a dump on them for the privelege. Anyone gonna apologise to them?
Awkward Cricket GIF

Thought not.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

You say that as if we’ve gotten a flood of info and a trailer per week or something. We know almost nothing about it still. More info is more than welcome, and needed, imo.

About time they started to advertise it properly.
no it looks like BOTW dlc and i just want to play it no footage esp running on a switch can make it look good when people have emulators that run botw in 21:9 at 60hz in 3k

Lethal01

no it looks like BOTW dlc and i just want to play it no footage esp running on a switch can make it look good when people have emulators that run botw in 21:9 at 60hz in 3k

I think the screenshots they put out look great, they should upload in 4k to get past the terrible youtube compression
TLOZ_TearsOfTheKingdom_scrn_13.jpg
TLOZ_TearsOfTheKingdom_scrn_27.jpg

I just rewatched it, holy shit it I forgot how good it was. Feels were had

Hype trailer. Completely misled us. All the hype was memories. I hope tomorrows trailer will be like this but is actually representative of the game where the cutscenes are happening as you play, and you get to experience gameplay within the contents of those awsome cutscenes.

That was the biggest downfall of Breath Of The Wild.

Luipadre

Just curious, what were your thoughts on the original BOTW?

And also, since we've known for a long time that they're using the same map for TOTK, what were your expectations for the sequel? A return to traditional Zelda design (Dungeons, etc)?

I loved botw. For the second question tho, im not really sure, but everything they showed so far felt a bit underwhelming given how much time they took to make this game

jaysius

Banned
Calling it now!

Zelda gameplay is shoehorned trash stealth that barely works, worst case it's put into the dungeons, best case it's in optional shrine type things.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Calling it now!

Zelda gameplay is shoehorned trash stealth that barely works, worst case it's put into the dungeons, best case it's in optional shrine type things.
Yeah, because the most requested thing about Zelda being playable Zelda and they are gonna fuck that up.

I don't think there will be a playable Zelda. I thought maybe you select at the start who dies and who lives, but then if Zelda talks to like in the trailer, if he dies, would he grunt to her? ha, I dunno. I feel like Nintendo doesn't want to make Zelda playable in TLoZ, it'll prob be her own game.

jaysius

Banned
Nintendo doesn’t owe any of the
ungrateful fans anything. Their track record has been damn near flawless with Zelda. Give them the benefit of the doubt, and quit whining…
DAMN NEAR FLAWLESS???

LOL

Link for NES -shit
That shitty 4 player only Gamecube game- SHIT
Skyward Sword- shit
Majora's Mask- tolerable but almost shit because of dumb time gimmick
The 2 DS Games- shit
3DS abortion of a Zelda game Triforce heroes- pure shit.

I'm sure I'm missing a few but yea, it's FAR from flawless.

I'm not going to count that trash Wii Remote demo game, that was shit, and then the Hyrule Warriors, is pure shit too.

I enjoy Zelda games, I enjoy when they advance the mechanics and evolve them, I don't enjoy when they do reductive bullshit to them, or abuse the IP. If Nintendo IPs were people, Nintendo would have almost all of them in a half-way house for abused people by now.

Last edited:

Majukun

DAMN NEAR FLAWLESS???

LOL

Link for NES -shit
Skyward Sword- shit
The 2 DS Games- shit

I'm not going to count that trash Wii Remote demo game, that was shit, and then the Hyrule Warriors, is pure shit too.
the flying fuck??

Majukun

consider that botw already had an atypical dev cycle, meaning that debugging and balancing was made in house by stopping development periodically just to allow everyone to play the game to completion and take notes.

not saying that they shouldn't have more to show after so many years, but i can see nintendo giving aonuma all the time in the world to refine the new zelda in a similiar fashion

HYDE

Banned
DAMN NEAR FLAWLESS???

LOL

Link for NES -shit
Skyward Sword- shit
The 2 DS Games- shit

I get it, it’s my favorite game series.

As many as I personally hate others love.
They’re universally praised for that reason. As much as I hate the Adventure of Link, Majora’s Mask (like 3DS version & hate N64 version), Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures, Oracle Ages & Seasons, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, & TriForce Heroes. Someone else will come in here and tell us we’re both wrong and that they are awesome games. For example I love Skyward Sword and think it’s amazing but not their best effort imo…

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I get it…Favorite game series.

As many as I personally hate others love.
They’re universally praised for that reason. As much as I hate the Adventure of Link, Majora’s Mask (like 3DS version & hate N64 version), Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures, Oracle Ages & Seasons, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, & TriForce Heroes. Someone else will come in here and tell us we’re both wrong and that they are awesome games. For example I love Skyward Sword and think it’s amazing but not their best effort imo…
A lucid response to an opinion that you didn't 100% agree with... I need to check what site I'm on.

For anyone in this thread, this is how a real discourse among human's can and should work, you don't have to shit on a person directly because they don't love your favorite thing.

Thank you for that, it's refreshing.

Lethal01

A lucid response to an opinion that you didn't 100% agree with... I need to check what site I'm on.

For anyone in this thread, this is how a real discourse among human's can and should work, you don't have to shit on a person directly because they don't love your favorite thing.

Thank you for that, it's refreshing.

You also don't have to let everyone know you are laughing whenever they are praising something you don't like😂

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
It seems people love to act jaded and miserable......
200w.gif
AH! There's the old shit I've grown to expect! Because of varying opinions about THE BEST VIDEO GAME SERIES EVER. I somehow am a miserable person in all aspects of my life.

Thanks for that reductive ad hominem troll trash.

ad ho·mi·nem (ˈ)ad-ˈhä-mə-ˌnem
-nəm

: appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect
an ad hominemargument

: marked by or being an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to the contentions made
made an ad hominem personal attack on his rival

jaysius

Banned
You also don't have to let everyone know you are laughing whenever they are praising something you don't like😂
Oh FFS, nobody cares about the reactions, if you can't take a reaction then get off the internet, it's one of many choices to use here.

It's much better to use that reaction, then to take apart the argument in a manner that will just lead to more ad hominem responses.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Oh FFS, nobody cares about the reactions, if you can't take a reaction then get off the internet, it's one of many choices to use here.

It's much better to use that reaction, then to take apart the argument in a manner that will just lead to more ad hominem responses.

It's just dumb, and pointless as using ad hominems as a response.

It doesn't matter if people are barely bothered by stepping on a lego, dropping them still just makes you nothing but an annoyance, which makes you of all people asking for better discussions ironic.

But I guess some people just love being negative.

Last edited:

HYDE

Banned
Would personally love to see other people’s unadulterated opinions of their favorites, in this format:

3D
1. Ocarina Of Time
2. The Wind Waker
3. Twilight Princess
4. Breath Of The Wild
5. A Link Between Worlds
6. Skyward Sword
7. Majoras Mask

2D
1. A Link To The Past
2. The Legend Of Zelda
3. Links Awakening
4. Minish Cap

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Would personally love to see other people’s unadulterated opinions of their favorites, in this format:

3D
1. Ocarina Of Time
2. The Wind Waker
3. Twilight Princess
4. Breath Of The Wild
5. A Link Between Worlds
6. Skyward Sword
7. Majoras Mask

2D
1. A Link To The Past
2. The Legend Of Zelda
3. Links Awakening
Seasons and Ages is pretty fun stuff, worth playing. Also have you played the 3DS Link Between worlds?

DKPOWPOW

3D
1. Ocarina Of Time
2. The Wind Waker
3. Twilight Princess
4. Breath Of The Wild
5. A Link Between Worlds
6. Skyward Sword
7. Majoras Mask

2D
1. A Link To The Past
2. The Legend Of Zelda
3. Links Awakening
Well since you asked

1. Twilight Princess
2. Breath of the Wild
3. Ocarina of Time
4. The Wind Waker

And then for games I have played about half way but did not finish

5. Skyward Sword
6. Majora’s Mask
7. Phantom Hourglass

Some day I’ll get into the 2D games. I enjoyed the little I have played of them, but they have yet to grab me enough to get past the first couple hours or so.

kunonabi

3D
1. Skyward Sword
2. Twilight Princess
3. Majora's Mask
4. The Wind Waker
5. Breath of the Wild
6. Ocarina of Time

2D
1. A Link to the Past
2. Spirit Tracks
3. 4 Swords Adventures
4. A Link Between Worlds
5. Adventure of Link
6. Triforce Heroes
7. Phantom Hourglass
8. Legend of Zelda
9. 4 Swords
10. The Minish Cap
11/12. Oracles
13. Link's Awakening

Overall top 5:
1. Skyward Sword
2. A Link to the Past
3. Twilight Princess
4. Spirit Tracks
5. 4 Swords Adventures

Overall Bottom 5:

14/15. Oracles
16. The Wind Waker
17. Link's Awakening
18. Breath of the Wild
19. Ocarina of Time

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm OK with this. I want to go into the game knowing as little as possible. I saw the latest trailer from a few weeks ago and the game looks great to me, but I don' want to know anymore. I want to be surprised by the game.

I'm hoping to go dark on Starfield too from here on out, but I kind of doubt I'll have the willpower.

Buggy Loop

I just rewatched it, holy shit it I forgot how good it was. Feels were had

And the previous ones weren't really good i would say. Sometimes even janky with the editing, like that famous cutoff in music.

That one kicked ass and launched the hype machine for it.

Totk has a lot to do to hype me up tomorrow honestly.

HYDE

Banned
Well since you asked

1. Twilight Princess
2. Breath of the Wild
3. Ocarina of Time
4. The Wind Waker

And then for games I have played about half way but did not finish

5. Skyward Sword
6. Majora’s Mask
7. Phantom Hourglass

Some day I’ll get into the 2D games. I enjoyed the little I have played of them, but they have yet to grab me enough to get past the first couple hours or so.
Really recommend all three of the 2D ones that I mentioned…especially ALTTP.

Last edited:

HYDE

Banned
Seasons and Ages is pretty fun stuff, worth playing. Also have you played the 3DS Link Between worlds?
Yeah it’s my number 5 on 3D list. As far as Oracles…I can’t stomach the gameboy color graphics very well, I’d love them to get redone in Link’s Awakening style or Minish Cap style.

Last edited:

Laieon

But 4 Sword Adventures was awesome.

3D
1. Ocarina Of Time
2. The Wind Waker
3. Twilight Princess
4. Breath Of The Wild
5. A Link Between Worlds
6. Skyward Sword
7. Majoras Mask

2D
1. A Link To The Past
2. The Legend Of Zelda
3. Links Awakening

I'm going by how they play and not necessarily if they're actually 3D/2D or not (ie: you have A Link Between Worlds in 3D, but I'd call that a 2D Zelda):

3D:
1. Wind Waker
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Twilight Princess
4. Majora's Mask
5. Breath of the Wild
6. Skyward Sword

2D:
1. A Link Between Worlds
2. Oracle of Ages/Seasons
3. A Link to the Past
4. Four Sword Adventures