• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda TOTK is almost here, how do you think it will do in reviews?

What will Tears of the Kingdom score on Meteoritic/Opencritic

• Above 95

Votes: 86 43.0%
  • 90-95

Votes: 95 47.5%
  • 85-90

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • 80-85

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 75-80

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 70-75

• Below 70

• Total voters

Marvel14

Banned
People expect Tears of the Kingdom to be the biggest game of the year (they're wrong because it will be FF16, but I'm not here to argue that).

With this biggest game of the year almost here, how do you expect it to score in reviews?

Past mainline Zelda game scores:

link to the past: 95
ocarina of time: 99
majora's mask: 96
wind waker: 96
twilight princess: 95
skyward sword: 93 (doesnt everyone hate this one lol, how did it score a 93)
breath of the wild: 97
Skyward Sword is the poster child for Zelda score inflation. Its not a bad game but its more of an 8/10 between Fii who wont shut up, the annoying as hell ad nauseum alert messages, the optional skyisland exploration, some meh fetch quests and the Demise padding it certainly isn't near perfect. Loved the motion controls and the puzzles in the "open world" areas though and the story really pulls at your heartstrings....

Reckon TOTK will repeat or slightly exceed BOTW 's 97...

Last edited:

BlackTron

I think if the game is outstanding it will score 10s. If it screws things up or hardly even fixes any of BOTW's flaws it will be 9.5s and 10s.

sigmaZ

I'm not very far, but the opening might be one of the best Zelda openings ever. I will say no more.

EruditeHobo

People will slobber all over it and ignore some of the issues with the game to proclaim it a masterpiece. No surprise for a major Nintendo release.

And while I'm sure it'll be good, it (like BOTW) will have some significant issues that many will brush under the rug when discussing the game.

Zannegan

A modest increase in difficulty will lead to a modest reduction in scores by the games media. Still above 90.

Resolution and performance will not be mentioned.

Sentenza

Probably far above its effective merits.

97+ if it's a solid 9,
92-94 if it's a decent 8.
85 or so if it should turn out to be a complete disaster, which seems unlikely from Nintendo.
That sort of thing.

Trunim

The fact that skyward sword has 93 tells it all. "Professional" critics always give nintendo games extra points. Especially if it has mario or zelda in the title. I'd say it's a solid 80-87 but reviews will be 90+

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
A better question might be "What will the the lowest professional score that is added to Zelda's Metacritic review average"

Surely nobody would go as low as 88.

This will have to be a framerate disaster to for people to do that.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

it's gonna get that nintendo bias bonus so 95+

realistically i'd put it between 85-90 but i doubt any reveiwer is really gonna come at this critically and more "you can stick rock to stick, best game evah".

Majukun

Can go either way, it's a game that it's both very similiar to botw (same map, same graphics, lots of borrowed mechanics), and very different with none of the past abilities coming back and apparently doubling down on the open world emergent gameplay stuff when a lot of people were hoping for a more conventional Zelda. Guess it will depend on of Nintendo 'did it' and managed to keep their design on par with the freedom given, which has always been the weak point of all those games that 'allow you to do anything and use your creativity' like nuts and bolts or scribblenauts. When you give the player the power to do anything, your design must account for anything and be running on full cylinders at all times.

Mephisto40

Every Nintendo site will give it 10/10

Every non Nintendo site will give it to their in house Nintendo fanboy to review, and they will give it 9/10

User reviews will all be 10/10 because switch users haven't had anything else to play for the past 12 months and will give anything that drops the highest score possible

Last edited:

Lillie

The fact that skyward sword has 93 tells it all. "Professional" critics always give nintendo games extra points. Especially if it has mario or zelda in the title. I'd say it's a solid 80-87 but reviews will be 90+
i thought skyward sword was FAR better than botw

Xtib81

It will be a 95+ game no matter what, because it's Zelda and most journalists are fanboys. All of a sudden they won't see any flaws.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Every Nintendo site will give it 10/10

Every non Nintendo site will give it to their in house Nintendo fanboy to review, and they will give it 9/10

User reviews will all be 10/10 because switch users haven't had anything else to play for the past 12 months and will give anything that drops the highest score possible
Lol the anti-Nintendo version of SenjutsuSage and I hate BOTW hahaha.

Tg89

So no one in here played or watched it yet? I want to hear their opinion about it.
I'm about 3-4 hours in. Preface this by saying I adored BOTW and think it was absolutely deserving of the scores it got.

So far, this feels like BOTW fully realized. Like, this is what they wanted to make with BOTW but obviously a combination of time and BOTW being a new game from the ground up prevented that.

-The world feels so much more intricately designed - large caves, much more verticality and levels (not just in the sense of large mountains).
-The new abilities are not only awesome to use on their own, but they compliment the above so well - navigating the world feels like a bunch of mini puzzles that can be solved in so many different ways. Ultrahand and fuse are game changers
-Much more variety in enemies so far
-Chemistry system still works fantastic and they've expanded on it with new items, also complimented by ultrahand/fuse

So yeah, not too far in obviously but it's giving me the same feeling that BOTW did on release day. I'm glad they spent so long expanding on that concept. To me, the people saying "it's the same game" always sounded crazy - never understood why you'd want a developer to immediately pivot from a new concept after a single release especially after it turned out so good.

Now obviously, performance is the big thing that sucks about it. Would definitely benefit from a Switch 2. But hardware related issues aside, it's fantastic.

Madflavor

It's Zelda. Regardless of the innovation, effort and quality from all other games released this year, if there's a 3D Zelda title it'll get all the 10/10s and clear the GOTY awards. It's kinda bullshit but that's just how it goes. I think if ToTK wins that major Goty awards, it'll prove a point that they can pretty much release the same Zelda game as last time, but just with more features, and that's all it takes.

I do love Zelda, a lot. But I hate that when it comes to honeymoon phases, no other video game in existence is as critic proof as Zelda.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It's Zelda. Regardless of the innovation, effort and quality from all other games released this year, if there's a 3D Zelda title it'll get all the 10/10s and clear the GOTY awards. It's kinda bullshit but that's just how it goes. I think if ToTK wins that major Goty awards, it'll prove a point that they can pretty much release the same Zelda game as last time, but just with more features, and that's all it takes.

I do love Zelda, a lot. But I hate that when it comes to honeymoon phases, no other video game in existence is as critic proof as Zelda.
Is that you Jonathon Blow?

Tg89

It's kinda bullshit but that's just how it goes. I think if ToTK wins that major Goty awards, it'll prove a point that they can pretty much release the same Zelda game as last time, but just with more features, and that's all it takes.
Or it says that it's just an amazing game regardless of it being derivative? I mean can we think of the last game to win a bunch of GOTYs that wasn't derivative? I guess It Takes Two but I'll take six BOTWs over that type of innovation.

What game on the horizon this year do you think Zelda will be robbing? Cause I don't see much out there that seems to have the qualities of a GOTY and also be new. Diablo 4 certainly isn't new. FFXVI maybe? Starfield by all accounts will be a disaster. Jedi Survivor is derivative and a technical mess (though seems amazing otherwise). Hi-Fi rush is original but hardly GOTY quality. Howarts maybe? Solid game, hardly original.

The best games so far this year are RE4, Metroid Prime and Dead Space. All remakes. Not sure if that says more about the quality of those games, or the quality of games we're getting today. But that's where we are.

Last edited:

Been playing TotK for the last day and it improves on the first game in every way. It is more innovative than anything that I have played maybe ever. Some puzzles require you to make what you need to complete them. It is doing things on the switch that make it chug along but I had no idea could be done on a switch. It brings back things that fans have been begging for and also introduces very new things. The game is larger than the first one and by a significant amount. This is definitely my game of the year so far replacing Octopath II or Re4.

Madflavor

Been playing TotK for the last day and it improves on the first game in every way. It is more innovative than anything that I have played maybe ever. Some puzzles require you to make what you need to complete them. It is doing things on the switch that make it chug along but I had no idea could be done on a switch. It brings back things that fans have been begging for and also introduces very new things. The game is larger than the first one and by a significant amount. This is definitely my game of the year so far replacing Octopath II or Re4.

Looking at it, it looks very fun. I'm just not really blown away by it. I also wasn't blown away by BotW either. That game game fell apart for me after 10+ hours. I still enjoyed it but it went from a 10/10 experience to an 8/10 by the end.

Looking at it, it looks very fun. I'm just not really blown away by it. I also wasn't blown away by BotW either. That game game fell apart for me after 10+ hours. I still enjoyed it but it went from a 10/10 experience to an 8/10 by the end.
I don't know how it will end but so far this is one of those rare sequels that is better than the original. I thought the first game was a bit too quiet but they use the music beautifully in this one. It's the little things.

Madflavor

I don't know how it will end but so far this is one of those rare sequels that is better than the original. I thought the first game was a bit too quiet but they use the music beautifully in this one. It's the little things.

I predict at the very least I'll enjoy the game, and if proper dungeons are back there's a decent chance I'll like it more than BotW.

LakeOf9

People saying the score will be inflated because it’s Nintendo/Zelda, how is that why different from games by From, Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Sony, etc.? Beloved developers and series all score higher than they should. It’s not unique to a Zelda or Nintendo

Like Ragnarok scored higher than it should have cause it’s god of war and Sony. Elden Ring scored much higher than it should have cause it’s from. And so on.

Tg89

People saying the score will be inflated because it’s Nintendo/Zelda, how is that why different from games by From, Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Sony, etc.? Beloved developers and series all score higher than they should. It’s not unique to a Zelda or Nintendo

Like Ragnarok scored higher than it should have cause it’s god of war and Sony. Elden Ring scored much higher than it should have cause it’s from. And so on.
Most of these games just scored well cause they’re excellent games and superior to most of what the rest of the industry puts out. Might not be your cup of tea, but all excellent games.

BOTW and ER specifically are easily high 90s in the context of the other games coming out and the scores they get.

Raven117

93-97

Unless it is just COMPLETELY different from BotW (which it isnt)...it will be a little "this is DLC." Taking it out of the 95+ range.

More than likely...the issues with weapon breaking, exploration being unrewarding will be ignored like it was in the last round of the reviews by mouth-breathers who simply can't review Zelda objectively. They probably have an anime sticker on their car.

Top Bottom