• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

How the hell are you even supposed to reach that flying island?

With a Sheikah-001 equiped with Master Sword Buster!
gchbSlwm.jpg

Red

Oh man I wonder how you get there, that looks very interesting
I fully expect to be able to fly freely at some point during this game, so I wouldn't be surprised if this area is some transition between Skyloft and the bird-people sky town from twilight princess, which might still have some of those Loftwings hanging around.

Joqu

Shirtless runs are totally going to be a thing, especially considering you'd take more damage. Good stuff.

edit: well, the only thing that could make this unfeasible would be the colder areas, although of course it'd actually add to the challenge as long as it wouldn't become impossible. They did say you had other ways of warming up, and you could probably stock up on enough food to keep yourself healed too.

Oidisco

With all the different mechanics in this game and how you can creatively deal with enemies, I'm sure you could have a really interesting and intense perma-death run.

cloudyboy

Neo Member
I am wondering if the monster on the death mountain is the spider thingy showed for about 1-2 second near the end of the trailer?

At any rate, Nintendo made something I didn't though possible : Hype me for a Legend of zelda game.

KingBroly

Banned
I find it funny how, after all the internet going apeshit about no Direct and Nintendo only bringing 1 game to E3 did Nintendo not only blow people away with Zelda, but also bring every single game they had upcoming to the show to highlight.

Except, ironically, 1.

Diffense

I've been watching the polygon 56 minute video and I think the game looks a lot better than some people have been saying. The art style is cohesive and a high-quality video reveals that the texture work is actually quite nice (I see earth littered with pebbles in some sections). Sure, it doesn't have the complexity of Witcher or Horizon: Zero Dawn but what they have been able to do with Wii U's hardware is quite impressive, IMO. They have a few months of worth of development left too, and the NX version will be even prettier. I think I'll be happy.

Oidisco

I kinda hope they put a limit on how much you can eat during a battle. Might make things a bit too easy otherwise since you won't really have to worry about running out of hearts.

One thing that really surprised and impressed me was the enemy interactions. In old 3D Zeldas enemies were rarely aggressive and had very few possible actions, but here we see merely two humanoid enemies (bokoblin and stalbokoblin) yet there are an enormous amount of actions they can perform.

Bokoblins:
They can shoot arrows
They can swing clubs or swords
They can set their clubs on fire for extra damage
They can block if they have shields
They can use spears, with a jab attack or a very wide swinging attack
They can set the spears on fire, swing them around and light a bunch of grass on fire
They can throw explosive barrels
They can throw rocks at you if all else fails

Stalbokoblins(can't remember if that was their official name):
They can use any of the weapons mentioned above
They can swing their arms at you
They can reform after knocking the head off
If one body is near another's head they can simply use the other one's head! Sharing is caring after all!
They can pick up arms of their fallen comrades (literally, arms) to swing at you
They can pick up their friends' fallen heads to either throw at you or help them reform
None of the bodies die until all heads are gone- makes me wonder if we can eventually see three bodies fighting over one head!

And that's just two very early game enemies. Now I hate to be that guy but think about Dark Souls enemies. They have a similar variety in weapon types and likely many more standard attack moves, but they don't have anything close to this amount of contextual behavior.

It's honestly stunning that Nintendo managed to pull off this kind of AI. I wonder if the game would experience massive frame rate drops if, for example, there are 50 stalbokoblins who all simultaneously lose their heads, and all of them scramble to find the nearest head for their body... Skyward Sword had an area with a fairly frightening number of zombie bokoblins, so I'd love to see something similar in BotW!

Edit:

I find it funny how, after all the internet going apeshit about no Direct and Nintendo only bringing 1 game to E3 did Nintendo not only blow people away with Zelda, but also bring every single game they had upcoming to the show to highlight.

Except, ironically, 1.

Haven't kept up with the non Zelda stuff today, was it Federation Force?

wishdom

I just realized I haven't seen anybody rolling incessantly yet. Is rolling removed in favor of sprinting entirely now?

Yeah they removed it :/

Well at least the good thing is less hya hya hya sound effect, which would probably drive me crazy considering the size of the land.

Chaos17

I've been watching the polygon 56 minute video and I think the game looks a lot better than some people have been saying. The art style is cohesive and a high-quality video reveals that the texture work is actually quite nice (I see earth littered with pebbles in some sections). Sure, it doesn't have the complexity of Witcher or Horizon: Zero Dawn but what they have been able to do with Wii U's hardware is quite impressive, IMO. They have a few months of worth of development left too, and the NX version will be even prettier. I think I'll be happy.

To be honest, that video has better quality than the (potato) stream and the official trailer (imo) and unfortunaly almost no body will saw it. That's why they've been a lot of complains.

Joqu

Is the polygon video's audio out of sync for everyone or just me though? It looks great but sound not so much here.

KingBroly

Banned
Despite all the backlash it would have received, I am genuinely surprised it wasn't at E3.

I am surprised, but I'm also not. They know it's going to tank. They know their fans are against it. Nintendo brought it upon themselves by not listening to them after Other M and presented them with a spin-off 6 years after the series' biggest failure due to their own incompetence.

Look at what Zelda did over the past 2 days. That is what's missing from Metroid. A sense of actually giving a damn. The Metroid genre hasn't evolved in 20 years. And it's their own fucking fault.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Holy shit at that Polygon 56-minute video. That is just insane. Probably been answered earlier but does this mean its 1080p 60fps? If so that is just...jesus.

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/06/...-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-hands-on-preview

“We talked a little bit about the idea of density, how dense to make this big world,” Aonuma explained. The team realized that filling the vast landscape with things to do and explore would be a lot of work. As the team experienced moving around on horseback or climbing up to a high place to paraglide down, they realized that their desire to see what's ahead of the next horizon grew. At the same time, the team realized some moments should be subtle as you explore. “We realized that it's OK if there's pocket of emptiness,” he said.

Despite all the backlash it would have received, I am genuinely surprised it wasn't at E3.

Ehh probably not anymore than Paper Mario did. In fact truth be told I think Color Splash might've done more to piss people off. Like it only had 30 seconds of footage at the Direct and it still got alot of attention. Hell even today it's getting alot of attention despite being there being more and I think it's rivaling Zelda with how much people are talking about it

KingBroly

Banned
Ehh probably not anymore than Paper Mario did. In fact truth be told I think Color Splash might've done more to piss people off. Like it only had 30 seconds of footage at the Direct and it still got alot of attention. Hell even today it's getting alot of attention despite being there being more and I think it's rivaling Zelda with how much people are talking about it

I disagree. Zelda's been the talk of the town the last 2 days.

What got people to talk about Paper Mario was the horrible narration part they ad-libbed and the fact that it's still just Sticker Star 2. Oh, and that GameXplain interview where the guy said 'well, Paper Mario's not an RPG series anymore b/c of Mario & Luigi.' To that, I say 'Get fucking rid of Mario & Luigi.'

But Federation Force? No one even gives a shit that it's not there.

I am surprised, but I'm also not. They know it's going to tank. They know their fans are against it. Nintendo brought it upon themselves by not listening to them after Other M and presented them with a spin-off 6 years after the series' biggest failure due to their own incompetence.

Look at what Zelda did over the past 2 days. That is what's missing from Metroid. A sense of actually giving a damn. The Metroid genre hasn't evolved in 20 years. And it's their own fucking fault.

I know that feel, bra.

Who knows, maybe after Zelda's reception, Nintendo will decide to give a damn about Metroid.

Let's be real and just wait for Axiom Verge 2

Oidisco

It's not in th E3 demo, but I'm going to assume that you'll be able to dive underwater at some point in the game.

Being able to fish out chests with Magnesis has me a little worried that you won't be able to, but I have faith that Aonuma won't let me down!

Joqu

I guess they have to save stuff since the game is pretty far off but I wish they had shown off a town. Really want to see how big they go, I have a feeling it's all going to be pretty desolate and as a result limited when it comes to friendly inhabitants.

It's fine on my side.

Hm, thanks. Refreshing didn't do anything but switching browsers fixed it.

This laptop man. I'm borrowing it after my old one broke, but it's terrible. >.>

BY2K

Membero Americo
Okay, hold on there's more gems in there.

While developing Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Aonuma said he noticed something that never occurred to him before: Getting lost is fun. “In previous 3D titles, I thought that getting lost is a bad thing,” Aonuma admitted. Due to hardware restrictions, most 3D Zelda games stitched together a bunch of smaller made worlds with an entrance and exit. “Getting lost in those small worlds, it's not a loss of what to do but it's more of a directional loss,” he said. “I see the exit, you're going to end up at the same exit, but I can't figure out how to get there.”

Each object you find can help you survive, but we couldn’t help but notice we never found rupees during our time with the game. So we asked Aonuma what’s up with that? “Rupees do exist,” he said, ”but the reason for their existence is a little different this time around. As you saw it's not about going to cutting down grass and collect rupees or find them in treasure chests but it's about collecting things and going to sell them and then using the rupees you get to buy new things.”

Nintendo isn’t afraid to emphasize how different this adventure is from its predecessors, even in the game’s name. “Even the subtitle itself is different from previous Zelda titles,” Aonuma said. In past games of the series, he explained, Nintendo would use item names like Skyward Sword or character names Twilight Princess as the subtitle for a new game. For this project, Aonuma worked closely with Nate Bihldorff from Nintendo’s Treehouse over the span of many months before they landed on the name, Breath of the Wild. ”It took a while,” Bihldorff said, “We talked a lot about plot points and items and characters, but what we kept coming back to was that the world itself is really the soul of this game.”

Thankfully, Aonuma did tell us the upgrade path for equipment is “very Zelda-like” but that’s it. And what happened to Link’s green tunic? “I don't know... I wonder,” Aonuma said with a laugh.

Instro

Yeah they are quietly sending that one to die. Hopefully they learn from this, but I'm sure they'll just mothball the series.

It's not in th E3 demo, but I'm going to assume that you'll be able to dive underwater at some point in the game.

Being able to fish out chests with Magnesis has me a little worried that you won't be able to, but I have faith that Aonuma won't let me down!

Yeah I'm actually really curious to see if they go big on underwater exploration too.

Unicorn

After seeing the shadow of the colossus combat with the Rock golem, this game may have just usurped Shadow of the Colossus as my favorite game. The physics play and puzzles with boss battles that utilize a variety of tools in a SotC manner is something I didn't think would happen, especially from Nintendo. God. I never expected to be this excited for a Zelda game.

Joqu

Have they mentioned dungeons at all, or is it all smaller shrines? I imagine we'll still get a few but maybe I'm wrong on that considering there's so many of the latter.

I dreamt of a day I would see Zelda reimagined in this way. It took over 5 years to bring his masterpiece to life. The Nintendo charm is solidly present and unmistakable.

Wondering if the NX will make this game look even better than it already does. The wait until 2017 will be excruciating.

Top Bottom