• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

Anteo

huh, there is even headshots on this game:

Cy2OU5y.png

Aldric

How do you slow down time when using the bow? l seem to remember the mechanic being used at some point during the Treehouse stream.

Saw the vast majority of Day 1 and what I missed I caught up on early this morning. That being said did anything happen, or was shown on Day 2 that would warrant my tuning in?

One thing I don't like that I keep seeing is the look of hunting. I know it's sort of a weird complaint, but when Link shoots a boar and the arrow cartoonishly hits and then the boar disappears in a puff of smoke, it just doesn't feel right. It doesn't match the stalking vibe, and it feels silly when you're hunting it for its body to have the body disappear. I guess I see hunting as a different feature than combat with enemies, while the game is treating hunting as an extension of combat with a different enemy type.

I think if arrows stuck in prey, that would help. Or at least have the body behave like a chopped down tree, where you need to hit it again with something to "carve" it and retrieve the meat or pelt.

It's not very Zelda, but a more visceral experience I think would help. At least based on what I've seen.

I really don't want this to be lost in the wave on constant news.
Here's a little something I wrote on the natures of weapon durability, how it's implemented in other games, and how Zelda's system manages to balance choice within the interlock between variety and decay.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1234624
Yeah, good stuff.

I've been playing Dying Light a bit recently, a game where you upgrade weapons a couple of times and then watch them break (at least at first, I'm not even a quarter finished yet). It's a system that works once you let go of the mentality of keeping weapons, since they and their upgrades are in plentiful supply. Sometimes these systems do beg the question "why bother" however. Look forward to playing BotW eventually.

vareon

Agreed. And I'm super excited.

"Shadow of Metal Souls" is a really badass name tbh.

One thing I don't like that I keep seeing is the look of hunting. I know it's sort of a weird complaint, but when Link shoots a boar and the arrow cartoonishly hits and then the boar disappears in a puff of smoke, it just doesn't feel right. It doesn't match the stalking vibe, and it feels silly when you're hunting it for its body to have the body disappear. I guess I see hunting as a different feature than combat with enemies, while the game is treating hunting as an extension of combat with a different enemy type.

I think if arrows stuck in prey, that would help. Or at least have the body behave like a chopped down tree, where you need to hit it again with something to "carve" it and retrieve the meat or pelt.

It's not very Zelda, but a more visceral experience I think would help. At least based on what I've seen.

Yeah, it's the nature of Zelda's cartoon violence. They had to tiptoe between it and Zelda tradition. Sometimes tradition won.

squadr0n

Havent played a Zelda since A link to the Past on my GBC. Should I pick up Twilight Princess HD? I seriously want that Wolf Link Amiibo and this new one looks soo good. Like exactly what I want from a modern Zelda. Best of Show for sure imo.

zoukka

Havent played a Zelda since A link to the Past on my GBC. Should I pick up Twilight Princess HD? I seriously want that Wolf Link Amiibo and this new one looks soo good. Like exactly what I want from a modern Zelda. Best of Show for sure imo.

You would definitely do well with Link between the Worlds if you liked the top down portable zelda. Many think it's the best Zelda since MM and WW.

Quick question cause I wasn't fallowing. Did they ever say if it's WiiU or NX footage? It looks really good, too good for WiiU in my opinion. If it's NX then it looks like I'm gonna have to get it, cause game looks absolutely stunning.

Quick question cause I wasn't fallowing. Did they ever say if it's WiiU or NX footage? It looks really good, too good for WiiU in my opinion. If it's NX then it looks like I'm gonna have to get it, cause game looks absolutely stunning.
Wii U.

They've hinted that the NX version will look even better.

squadr0n

Its all been on Wii U so far. But they have said the two versions are identical. Aside from the assumed framerate improvements the NX version will have.

This game looks soo good lol. Just put TPHD on hold at my Gamestop with the Amiibo.

I don't think it looks too good for Wii U. the Wii U's power hasn't really been fully realized by that many games. Also, to answer your question, it's Wii U footage. If the NX version looks even better I'll be ecstatic.

NX version is a no-show on this E3, and both Treehouse demo and booth demo used Wii U version.

It looks like Nintendo's Skyrim.

It's a living, breathing world full of character and a stunning level of interactivity, but the thing that gets me is that the gameplay looks like it fits so well within the open world design. This could be special.

Kyzon

or an ancient canon that first needs some restoration?

Only if we get the guys with tiny shirts operating it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'm hoping this game has an enemy gauntlet. The battle system looks like a lot of fun, and I would love to go through a hoard of enemies while switching between their weapons on the fly.

Aldric

l love the way the game looks, but it's quite clearly a Wii U game. lt looks super rough at times, with some really bad textures.

I feel like I'm missing something with this GIF. someone else mentioned it too.

What special happened?

I don't know. I think the hitbox is quite impressive, and the animation is very fluid. It may not have a comedic factor, but I find it worth noting.

The GIF is from this person.

Was watching this kind of uninterested, and I swear my jaw dropped at 8:58.

https://gfycat.com/GrotesqueAdorableBedbug

It looks like a cartoon, its looks so good.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
So why couldn't they get off the plateau in the demo? Do you need the glider to get off, or are there invisible walls to prevent people from leaving?

N.Grim

Its all been on Wii U so far. But they have said the two versions are identical. Aside from the assumed framerate improvements the NX version will have.

This game looks soo good lol. Just put TPHD on hold at my Gamestop with the Amiibo.
They said same experience, not identical

I feel like I'm missing something with this GIF. someone else mentioned it too.

What special happened?

The Hitboxes in this game are extremely on point. If you get hit, it's definitely going to be your fault. There's a better scene than that one at illustrating though I think.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Hey everyone. There's so much footage out there it's hard to check it all. Could someone recommend a good one? I watched the Polygon footage for about 30 minutes but it seemed very dull.

Diffense

So why couldn't they get off the plateau in the demo? Do you need the glider to get off, or are there invisible walls to prevent people from leaving?

I think you need the glider since the entire plateau is surrounded by a sheer cliff. However, only the Treehouse folks had the glider I think. The other demos didn't have it and you couldn't obtain it in time.

spekkeh

Banned
ign.ca said:
Although we thoroughly enjoyed our time with Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Aonuma is still tight lipped on a lot of specifics. He wouldn’t talk about the special arrow Link used in the game’s first trailer back at E3 2014. “That arrow is definitely an important part of the game,” he said, “and getting it is very important to navigating the game. To reveal it now would be a spoiler so I don't want to say too much.” He also wouldn’t talk about towns. “I can't share too much about villages because to tell you how the villages work, they're interconnected to the story and overall world.” Thankfully, Aonuma did tell us the upgrade path for equipment is “very Zelda-like” but that’s it. And what happened to Link’s green tunic? “I don't know... I wonder,” Aonuma said with a laugh.
Hype. as. Fuck.

Sigh. Ten more months at least.

I have been hating on my Wii U since a couple of months after I bought it, an regretted buying it a lot, but now my purchase seems to be completely vindicated... :D

Burny

Yeah the AI is much smarter than in previous Zelda games, can't wait to see what's in store for tougher enemies.

Couldn't find the Bokoblin hunting the boar. So many gifs left to make

s3HuOas.gif

Oh shit! I saw the .gif before, but it's only now I realize that the second Bokoblin lights its club at the other's club! Goot stuff. ^^

Litri

Was literally talking for hours about the game and the little details with some friends after watching the whole treehouse footage, I think I have never done something like this before. Amazing.

Top Bottom