• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape 3 announced, Summer 2016. PR: 3DS and Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaMelon

:eek: I really need to play VLR again. Holy shit.
Which ending route was it? Also I was thinking about when Zero III calls her "Phido" which is a pun on "Fido", a trope name for a dog.
Also imo this kinda fits in with Sigma's cat puns? It kinda puts two opposite things together, if Sigma is a cat, Phi is a dog

I think it's
Luna's
end when Phi
leaves with Quark
and Sigma
goes back into the garden to find the previously "murdered" Luna who then reveals how she's a robot and stuff.

Only play the DS version if you have a 3DS.

Inverting a screen is completely not worth the entire game. Don't believe people's lies on these topics.

The iOS version is worse for me only because they removed the puzzles.

Oh boy. It's fine to disagree with the majority opinion on something, but don't go and claim that opinion is then a 'lie'. Doing so makes you seem immature. If you disagree, cool say so and you can explain why.

Besides, you have to acknowledge you're clearly in the minority when it comes to 999's worth since you can easily grab it for under £25/$20 from amazon. Ebay could get you it even cheaper. To me and most other people that isa very fair price to play for the definitive version of the game.

Steins;Gate reminded me of Zero Escape. That was mostly the storytelling with different timelines rather than any escaping though.

Just finished this myself. Steins; Gate felt like a much more 'personal' story since we saw the direct effect of time "travel" (maybe leaping is the better word) on all of Okabe's friends. They both sort of take different perspectives on the timeline thingy which was great.

Bowlie

Banned
I didn't find Doubt very good, Judge was worse and Secret is more of the same thing...

The writing is... not mature enough? I didn't feel the despair I felt during 999 while reading them. Kids acting like kids, you know. Is Secret another sequel?

I just read the first three chapters of Liar Game and so far it's not really grabbing me (WAT at her trusting her teacher with all that money?!) I might give the TV show a look.

Battle Royale was another manga I tried to get into a while back but couldn't. I'll probably give it another try. Reading Berserk (which is insanely incredible) has raised the bar so high for manga quality that it's made it hard for me to get into other manga. : (

The anime Steins;Gate was pretty great, even though it wasn't really similar to Zero Escape.

EDIT: What I've learnt by trying to find stuff like Zero Escape is that it's really bloody good and hard to outdo! It's top shelf stuff.

Lusankya

I just read the first three chapters of Liar Game and so far it's not really grabbing me (WAT at her trusting her teacher with all that money?!) I might give the TV show a look.

I quote myself from the last page:
Btw. the very first game is by far the weakest and doesn't really feature a lot of the mind games and tricks you'll see in the later games.

If you don't like it after the majority game (that's the next one) then you can safely assume it's not for you.

And don't worry about Nao, she will change in the course of the manga. But in the beginning she is certainly "too honest for her own good".

Bowlie

Banned
Like Okarin in Steins;Gate, but for a whole different reason, Nao is uninteresting in the beginning. She starts to shine when she learns the rules of the game from Akiyama and Yuki. It's worth it!

crimilde

Banned
Personally, I have to mention Battle Royale. It's closer to something like Hunger Games than Zero Escape from the outset: It's about 42 Japanese 9th graders that are put on an isolated island, given weapons, and forced to kill each other. Not philosophical or scientific, but the atmosphere and pacing is incredible. It's my favorite novel of all time.

To be honest, Danganronpa has more in common with Battle Royale than Zero Escape does, and it's also a very good game to get into. It's *a lot* of fun.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Going to check out some of these when I get some free time.

We need another participant showing. Are we confirmed that there are going to be (at least) 9 again this time?

kubus

Haha this thread turned into a recommendation thread :D. Things like Steins;gate were on my radar already but stuff like that Doubt manga and a couple of the movies mentioned here I've never heard of before and sound pretty cool.

Also like Lusankya already said: Liar Game doesn't start off very strong as the first game is pretty straight forward and boring. Things get really heated once the second game starts however, so try to watch/read at least until the third game to give it a fair shake :)

Joqu

I don't want to create a thread on this and I'm a bit afraid of getting spoiled here because I haven't played VRL properly yet but I finally finished all endings of 999 and I wanted to read up on some interviews etc to get some insight on the game. Anything you guys can point me to that doesn't have VRL spoilers?

I know there's a q&a on the official 999 site but I can't seem to access it? Redirects me to the regular Aksys site. Is that just me or did they get rid of it? :S

Joqu

I just tried this link and it worked: http://www.aksysgames.com/999/answers

As an advice, stay away from wikis and posts in forums from 2013 or newer. I'm on mobile now, but when I get back to my PC I'll hit you with some links.

---

And we just want more things like ZE c:

Yeah, it redirects. Weird. Gonna try to delete my cache, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be age locked so maybe there's something up with that.

And yeah, I figured as much. I'm trying to be careful, I won't be able to play VLR for a while because while I own the game I'm being stubborn and want to import the US Vita version for the dub. :l

And thanks, looking forward to that!

edit: Ok yeah, that didn't work for some reason but I can access it on mobile. Cool.

Fisico

The writing is... not mature enough? I didn't feel the despair I felt during 999 while reading them. Kids acting like kids, you know. Is Secret another sequel?

Yes and yes.
Secret-manga-annonce.jpg
Art was average, writing felt like a teenager fanfic, honestly I don't see any redeeming quality.

The worst thing is that the author didn't even improve with his new series.

Korigama

Oh boy. It's fine to disagree with the majority opinion on something, but don't go and claim that opinion is then a 'lie'. Doing so makes you seem immature. If you disagree, cool say so and you can explain why.

Besides, you have to acknowledge you're clearly in the minority when it comes to 999's worth since you can easily grab it for under £25/$20 from amazon. Ebay could get you it even cheaper. To me and most other people that isa very fair price to play for the definitive version of the game.
Agreed with all of this. Seriously, "lies"...such an accusation couldn't be a more petulant denial in place of an actual argument, never mind the fact that it completely ignores what was said about everything else wrong with that "port" because they were so busy focusing on the screen issue.

Hylian7

Haha this thread turned into a recommendation thread :D. Things like Steins;gate were on my radar already but stuff like that Doubt manga and a couple of the movies mentioned here I've never heard of before and sound pretty cool.

Also like Lusankya already said: Liar Game doesn't start off very strong as the first game is pretty straight forward and boring. Things get really heated once the second game starts however, so try to watch/read at least until the third game to give it a fair shake :)

It is until they post another character artwork tomorrow and the speculation machines start up again.
PogChamp.png

Maybe we'll be lucky enough for 2 this week.

I quote myself from the last page:
Btw. the very first game is by far the weakest and doesn't really feature a lot of the mind games and tricks you'll see in the later games.

If you don't like it after the majority game (that's the next one) then you can safely assume it's not for you.

And don't worry about Nao, she will change in the course of the manga. But in the beginning she is certainly "too honest for her own good".

I might keep going and read it casually. It seems decent, but not at the 'OMG AMAZING' levels I hoped for. I kinda doubt my opinion will change, but I'll try and give it a fair chance. The art is terrible by the way. Dem shocked faces.

EDIT: I wanna watch Triangle now too. It looks fairly interesting. I love a good clever mystery!

Guys I played and loved 999 back in the days on DS. Sadly I have forgotten a lot about it right now and have just a vague idea on what was going on. I have bought VLR and want to go ahead and play it but is there a good place to recap everything from 999? Is it needed for VLR at all? I mean do they perhaps have some kind of "what has happened" feature in VLR or something?

Guys I played and loved 999 back in the days on DS. Sadly I have forgotten a lot about it right now and have just a vague idea on what was going on. I have bought VLR and want to go ahead and play it but is there a good place to recap everything from 999? Is it needed for VLR at all? I mean do they perhaps have some kind of "what has happened" feature in VLR or something?

No such feature exists in VLR. Since you've experienced 999 once already, if you can't replay it for whatever reason, the iOS... "port" can be convenient for you.

It depends on how much you remember of 999, never looked up any sort of summary so don't know any text summaries or whatnot, but post what you remember of 999 in spoiler tags. Honestly as long as you generally remember the aftermath I think you could be fine.

If you played it in 2010 or something though, might be worth a replay of
True END.

Bowlie

Banned
Well, Funyarinpa, (VLR spoilers)
at one point Clover tells you, briefly, what happened in the building.

In fact, a friend of mine played VLR first and by seeing that told me "hey, I know all about 999 and now am super excited to play it". I had not played VLR at the time to know what future Clover said in it, so we started discussing 999's plot and I accidentally spoiled who the villain was. She said she knew everything, how could I know :c but that's not important.

tl;dr Clover tells Sigma that she was stuck in a building and got out with Alice, while Tenmyouji listens quietly in the corner.

Well, Funyarinpa, (VLR spoilers)
at one point Clover tells you, briefly, what happened in the building.

In fact, a friend of mine played VLR first and by seeing that told me "hey, I know all about 999 and now am super excited to play it". I had not played VLR at the time to know what future Clover said in it, so we started discussing 999's plot and I accidentally spoiled who the villain was. She said she knew everything, how could I know :c but that's not important.

tl;dr Clover tells Sigma that she was stuck in a building and got out with Alice, while Tenmyouji listens quietly in the corner.

well (VLR, 999 spoilers)
you need to know Akane disappeared after 999 and her role in the events of 999

some smaller details too, like JUMPYDOLL

Bowlie

Banned
I don't want to create a thread on this and I'm a bit afraid of getting spoiled here because I haven't played VRL properly yet but I finally finished all endings of 999 and I wanted to read up on some interviews etc to get some insight on the game. Anything you guys can point me to that doesn't have VRL spoilers?

I know there's a q&a on the official 999 site but I can't seem to access it? Redirects me to the regular Aksys site. Is that just me or did they get rid of it? :S

Finally got home for your links.

These three articles were published before the game was released here,
Virtue’s Last Reward Director Says Anticipation Higher From Western Fans
The Thinking Behind The Title “Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward”
ZERO ESCAPE: VIRTUE'S LAST REWARD - MORE SCREENS, INTERVIEW WITH KOTARO UCHIKOSHI (this is actually in VLR's site. Since you had problems with the age gate I found another link to it. There are three other interviews in VLR's site, but they contain spoilers so I didn't put them here)

Then this 12 minute animation that will hopefully get you hyped (turn on annotations for the subtitles and don't you read the comments, plenty of bad people there)

Then this Gamasutra article post-release, The Storytelling Secrets of Virtue's Last Reward

And finally there is VLR's OT here. You can probably read the first pages and see the excitement.

Joqu

Finally got home for your links.

These three articles were published before the game was released here,
Virtue’s Last Reward Director Says Anticipation Higher From Western Fans
The Thinking Behind The Title “Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward”
ZERO ESCAPE: VIRTUE'S LAST REWARD - MORE SCREENS, INTERVIEW WITH KOTARO UCHIKOSHI (this is actually in VLR's site. Since you had problems with the age gate I found another link to it. There are three other interviews in VLR's site, but they contain spoilers so I didn't put them here)

Then this 12 minute animation that will hopefully get you hyped (turn on annotations for the subtitles and don't you read the comments, plenty of bad people there)

Then this Gamasutra article post-release, The Storytelling Secrets of Virtue's Last Reward

And finally there is VLR's OT here. You can probably read the first pages and see the excitement.

Thank you SO much. This is just the kind of stuff I was looking for. :D

Not getting the worries against the art style. It might actually be my favorite of the three games so far (assuming models are as good as this/ good as Ace Attorney 5 on 3DS and/or Komaru on Danganronpa AE OR we get these sprites). It's a unique look and reflects the mood of Dcom from what we know very well.

Fuck yes, couldn't be more hyped for this game.

STRAIGHT INTO MY FUCKING VEINS, UCHIKOSHI!

Gotta say I am curious to see how that art style translates to the game itself. Is it confirmed whether it will follow the presentation of 999 (in-game artwork portraits) or Virtue's Last Reward (3D character models) yet?

Gotta say I am curious to see how that art style translates to the game itself. Is it confirmed whether it will follow the presentation of 999 (in-game artwork portraits) or Virtue's Last Reward (3D character models) yet?

no, and I don't think we can know until we see for ourselves since as far as I am aware Uchikoshi's budget could be anywhere from "Okay, fine, you can do ZE3 but don't be a burden" to "okay, you've got an audience hyped, and we want you to make the most of it".

grim-tales

Considering Aksys apparently played a big part in making ZE3 a thing, I'd like to think Uchikoshi will be given freedom to operate how he wants with a good budget :)

Would have been amazing to be in that crowd when that started playing!

We had guests over that day, I said I had some stuff to do and just sat down in front of the stream an hour before it even began. When I saw that ZE3 was announced on RPGSite's Twitter, I shouted "YESSSS" and was so happy I couldn't even speak.

It was amazing.

I'm done with Liar Game.

I got up to chapter 20 and it does get better, but I have no desire to keep reading it. The second round was clever and gave off pretty big Zero Escape vibes, but yeah, it just didn't grip me enough. Glad I checked it out though. Thanks for the recommendation kubus!

jonjonaug

I'm done with Liar Game.

I got up to chapter 20 and it does get better, but I have no desire to keep reading it. The second round was clever and gave off pretty big Zero Escape vibes, but yeah, it just didn't grip me enough. Glad I checked it out though. Thanks for the recommendation kubus!

It's ok, this way you don't have to be disappointed by the ending.

eXistor

I loved 999 and VLR so much and I'm very excited about ZTD...but I don't remember jack shit about the first 2 games. It's always been a problem with me, I'll be into a game and remember everything about the plot, characters and relations and everything, but in a few months time (and many other games later) details become muddy and now, a few years later, I'm struggling to even remember anything at all. My memory's alright, I just think I play too many games!

Anyone else have this problem? I could just replay the games of course, but I just have so many other games I want to play. Maybe I'll just read a summary before the new one comes out.

It's ok, this way you don't have to be disappointed by the ending.

I just read the last two chapters....WAT? Talk about rushed! Seems like quite a few people didn't like the ending....

I think that
when they went sailing, she creates the time loop (because she got annoyed with her son) and the cabbie at the end is Death,

Yeah,
the cabbie seems to be death,
which totally went over my head at first. This analysis video made me appreciate the story a lot more. I missed so many details! It really is quite a clever movie.

Voliko

I loved 999 and VLR so much and I'm very excited about ZTD...but I don't remember jack shit about the first 2 games. It's always been a problem with me, I'll be into a game and remember everything about the plot, characters and relations and everything, but in a few months time (and many other games later) details become muddy and now, a few years later, I'm struggling to even remember anything at all. My memory's alright, I just think I play too many games!

Anyone else have this problem? I could just replay the games of course, but I just have so many other games I want to play. Maybe I'll just read a summary before the new one comes out.
Yep, planning on reading a story synopsis or something before ZE3 comes out. VLR came out nearly 3.5 years ago, it's been a while.

I remember getting into 999 a lot more than VLR, reading a lot of fan theories and what not so I remember a bit more about that one I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom