• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zod has been cast. Kneel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Speedymanic said:
Bryan Singer's Brainiac storyline for the sequel to Returns sounded great, a damn shame he wasn't allowed back. :(

Shame?

If he came back, then so would the kid. All it needs to be said.

edit: Also kate vomitworth

LM4sure

Banned
Every thing I hear about this movie makes it sound worse. WB is probably kicking themselves for hiring Snyder for this job. Terrible choice.

Shame?

If he came back, then so would the kid. All it needs to be said.

Yeah, that was a bad choice. But I'd still bet money that Snyder's version will fare much, much worse on rottentomatoes. This is going to be a disaster!

Davidion said:
Maybe it's just because I'm not big enough of a Superman zealot, but how can anyone think that he WON'T make a good Zod?

As for Darkseid, the character always struck me as the kind of villain with so much background behind it that you couldn't possibly resolve a story with him in a single movie.
Orion explained Darkseid's origin and motivations (touching upon Apokolips, New Genesis, and the Anti-Life equation) in a whopping 2 minutes in Superman TAS. Just let Paul Dini write all the DC movies. Does the audience really need to know more than he's evil, he's powerful, and he has an army of space mutants bent on taking over the world?

MisterHero

He would've killed the kid

but I'm not that sensitive over Returns' story

Superman: Last Son had Superman and Lois adopting a Kryptonian child
son of Zod and Ursa
and it was a great story

For all those complaining about them using Zod again, just be thankful it's not Lex again.

That said, I do hope Lex appears in some capacity, just not as a villain.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I have now read it, and...it could've been a cool movie. The whole kid thing though, damn, sounds kinda rough. Don't know man.

You know, for all the shit i give superman returns, i just watched the movie high yesterday with my gf, and let me tell you all something...

Superman Returns is by far the most visually beautiful super hero movie ever made. Not even close.

Ohwiseone

Ah yes, finally some people not shitting on Superman Returns anymore.

For a while, I though that I was the only one who actually enjoyed the movie, and though it to be great.

I am somewhat depressed that he didn't get a second shot at a sequel.

Blader

CaptYamato said:
You don't read a lot Superman comics if you pass on the God metaphors.

What does one have to do with the other? Just because I find it to be a hackneyed characterization doesn't mean I don't acknowledge it exists.

Furret

Banned
Blader5489 said:
What does one have to do with the other? Just because I find it to be a hackneyed characterization doesn't mean I don't acknowledge it exists.

It means you're missing the point of the character.

Game Analyst said:
Slightly off topic but I thought it would interest many people in this thread:

Deleted Scenes including the never-before-seen original opening to Superman Returns;

original.pjpeg

Oh hell yes. Was waiting for this since before the film

MrHicks

Banned
looking at the WIKI of darkseid how the FUCK is superman supposed to beat that?

never read the comics but......OP much?

MisterHero

He's got bits of Jesus, Moses, Samson, and etc. in him, but a less Biblical analogy is that he is an immigrant from outer space (which does have relevance to the country he was created in of course).

"Kal-El" is arguably a reference to the creators' Jewish heritage (and if translated makes a direct reference to God).

The movies reinforce the Bible references but I feel there is more to Superman's historical significance than that (from early-1900s America and onwards).

Wray

Wait, I'm confused. Is this going to be a Superman 2 Remake/Reboot? What are they doing with this movie? I haven't been paying much attention.

Wray said:
Wait, I'm confused. Is this going to be a Superman 2 Remake/Reboot? What are they doing with this movie? I haven't been paying much attention.

As far as I know, it's a total reboot in the vein of Nolan's Batman. No connection to the Reeve films, as well as Returns.

The use of Zod is just a choice for the film, and I imagine it will differ quite a bit from Superman 2.

Zabka

CaptYamato said:
He's kind of the Jesus character of DC. The son sent to earth...blah blah...
Superman is not Jesus. Jesus was a pacifist.

Turning Superman into an American Jesus is lazy, cheesy writing. That's why Superman Returns was so lame.

Zabka

MrHicks said:

God Bullet, Golden Lasso and singing

Not kidding.

Satch

Banned
ZoddGutts said:
The only good one. :)
That Power Girl image is my wallpaper on my second monitor.

I fucking love her. <3
despite the fact that she punched my favorite superhero from washington dc to canada

All other kryptonians can't compare.

Flash

MrHicks said:

this is a good point... superman is no where near as strong as darkseid nor should he be. and he isn't exactly the smartest guy either.

so maybe they are holding of on darkseid until that superman/batman crossover film?

MisterHero

Flash said:
this is a good point... superman is no where near as strong as darkseid nor should he be. and he isn't exactly the smartest guy either.

so maybe they are holding of on darkseid until that superman/batman crossover film?
Are you saying that Superman doesn't possess advanced intelligence? The original version started off as a man who was incredibly strong and smart, both extensions of human capabilities.

As one of the more 'sensible' abilities that he's always had, I don't know why comics creators choose to write it off.

At least All-Star Superman acknowledges this.

MrHicks

Banned
Flash said:

like batman is gonna do anything lol
hes just a regular human with gadgets

whats batman gonna add to fighting a godlike being hehe

Juanadams

Banned
He was incredible in Herzog's My Son My Son What Have Ye Done, Don't think i've seen him in anything else, but I'm on board.

They should just adapt the pilot episode of Bruce Timm and Paul dini's Superman:TAS. It had everything from the origin, setting up a supporting cast, superman fighting a mech, lex luthor, metallo, and even set up braniac.

In 2006 we got a rehash of the original superman film and next year we are getting a rehash of superman 2. This would be the equivalent of putting joker in batman begins or using Kahn in star trek 2. It just demonstrates a lack of ideas and imagination.

Flash said:

Superman is dumb now? seriously? whatever.....

Furret

Banned
Anticitizen One said:
They should just adapt the pilot episode of Bruce Timm and Paul dini's Superman:TAS. It had everything from the origin, setting up a supporting cast, superman fighting a mech, lex luthor, metallo, and even set up braniac.

In 2006 we got a rehash of the original superman film and next year we are getting a rehash of superman 2. This would be the equivalent of putting joker in batman begins or using Kahn in star trek 2. It just demonstrates a lack of ideas and imagination.

Khan is heavily rumoured to be in Star Trek 2. Just sayin'.

Zabka

animlboogy said:
Sorry to spoil your shit, but Jesus is coming back with a fucking machine gun. Biblically speaking.
I've been waiting for the sequel to the New Testament for years. They better hurry up with that shit before I lose interest.

Superman would kick Jesus' ass in a fight anyway.

Lyonaz

Okay I'm up for some animated superman movies, which are his best ones?
What's the name of the one posted earlier with Supes and Supergirl fighting Darkseid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom