• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zod has been cast. Kneel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabka

animlboogy said:
There's a Garth Ennis comic where Jesus was beaten by police while at a protest, so we're stuck with retard Jesus who can't get the end times running. I hope we get that one for our NT sequel. But still with a machine gun.
I can see the story already. Jesus had only enough bullets to kill a few men, but thanks to the Miracle of the Magazine he was able to slaughter entire armies without reloading.

MisterHero

Khan will be in Star Trek XII but the Enterprise will have blown up the SS Botany Bay from afar after what Spock-Prime told them

unless Spock-Prime finally dies of old age :(

FunkyPajamas said:
I thought Magic was one of Supe's weaknesses.

he's like captain Marvel, he has magic DERIVED powers. but still a similar power set to superman (strenght, speed, invulnerable) but it doesn't matter the how or where you get your power source, if you are going to go toe to toe with superman, you have to be prepared to go a long while. who's Jesus ever fought? the Devil? eh....

Furret

Banned
Blader5489 said:
That was two years ago. JJ hasn't even read the script for the sequel.

I'd hardly call that "heavily rumored" anyway.

You're right. You're a much better source than the director and producer of the film. Also the writers.

i thought this movie had potential.. Nolan meant good story, Snyder meant good action. But whats with the cast? :(

Im going to see this movie anyways since Superman is the best, but I'm cautiously optimistic now.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
he's like captain Marvel, he has magic DERIVED powers. but still a similar power set to superman (strenght, speed, invulnerable) but it doesn't matter the how or where you get your power source, if you are going to go toe to toe with superman, you have to be prepared to go a long while. who's Jesus ever fought? the Devil? eh....
I don't know man, if Supes defeats Jesus he would just rise again after three days for a rematch.
bigboss370 said:
i thought this movie had potential.. Nolan meant good story, Snyder meant good action. But whats with the cast?
Maybe we end up getting Nolan's action and Snyder's story.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
bigboss370 said:
i thought this movie had potential.. Nolan meant good story, Snyder meant good action. But whats with the cast? :(

Im going to see this movie anyways since Superman is the best, but I'm cautiously optimistic now.
The casting has shitted all over Superman Returns so far. Far better actors being cast.

WillyFive

FunkyPajamas said:
Maybe we end up getting Nolan's action and Snyder's story.

Yeah, this is what I fear.

Snyder can't tell a story in an interesting matter, no matter who wrote it (like 300 and Watchmen), and Nolan's action is a mess at best.

Blader

Willy105 said:
Yeah, this is what I fear.

Snyder can't tell a story in an interesting matter, no matter who wrote it (like 300 and Watchmen), and Nolan's action is a mess at best.

Snyder is not writing the script and Nolan is not directing the action (or anything, for that matter). So what exactly are you afraid of?

Matrix said:
The casting has shitted all over Superman Returns so far. Far better actors being cast.

I like Man of Steel's cast so far (and don't really understand all the negativity towards Shannon) but no one here is a better actor than Kevin Spacey.

Blader5489 said:
I like Man of Steel's cast so far (and don't really understand all the negativity towards Shannon) but no one here is a better actor than Kevin Spacey.

Kevin Spacey was terrible in that movie. Just terrible. It was an ensemble of bland apart from Parker Posey

Shannon is a fucking brilliant actor, saw him recently in a one man show he was doing off-broadway and the talent on display was monumental.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Blader5489 said:
Snyder is not writing the script and Nolan is not directing the action (or anything, for that matter). So what exactly are you afraid of?

Spacey is a great actor, but he had shit to work with and was basically playing the Hackman Luthor, he frankly looked bored to me the whole time. The script really hurt some of these characters and actors big time.

Overall this casting is just leaps ahead of what we got before. No awful shitty actress playing Lois, no kid, no Kumar to beat up Supes etc etc yet people are still complaining.

David Goyer is a horrible writer. Unless it's true that Johnathan Nolan reined him in heavily for this script then it will be no better than a visionary Zack Snyder script.

Messypandas said:
Kevin Spacey was terrible in that movie. Just terrible. It was an ensemble of bland apart from Parker Posey

Shitting on Spacey's Lex and then praising Posey in the same film? Uh did we see the same Superman Returns? Spacey was the most memorable thing out of it.

wetwired

Spacey us a great actor, but he doesn't have much of a commanding presence
or authority, something which luthor needs. Zod too needs this in spades, after watching boardwalk empire, Shannon seems to be more than capable. Though someone mentioned Liam nelson as zod, that would have been amazing.

I can't understand why some people think because zod is a villain we're getting a rehash of superman 2, that's like saying the dark knight is a rehash of burton's batman or batman forever because it has the joker and two face. This will be a different story.

For a truly epic Zod, they should have cast Viggo Mortenson. I thought it was a lock after he dropped out of that other movie. :(

Shannon's great (superb performance into crazed psychopath in BWE), but Viggo would have owned the role.

superman-vs-zod.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
Really? People are complaining about Zod and Shannon? That's not even close to being the problem in this movie.

Speedymanic said:
For a truly epic Zod, they should have cast Viggo Mortenson. I thought it was a lock after he dropped out of that other movie. :(

Shannon's great (superb performance into crazed psychopath in BWE), but Viggo would have owned the role.

Indeed. I think Shannon's talented. But he just sounds so strange and loopy when he speaks that him as Zod is gonna be....different.

Viggo's got a more threatening (and calm) appearance and manner about him. Oh well.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Zabka said:
Superman would kick Jesus' ass in a fight anyway.

Jesus, is, like, God. He could blink Superman out of existence barely even thinking about it.

Suairyu

Banned
Zabka said:
Superman is not Jesus. Jesus was a pacifist.

Turning Superman into an American Jesus is lazy, cheesy writing. That's why Superman Returns was so lame.
It's accurate, believable writing.

Seriously, think about it: if Superman came to our Earth tomorrow, how would the people treat him? He'd be more important in everyone's life than Jesus is to Christians. He'd be seen as the messiah*. Superman=Jesus is number one of two logically possible conclusions when humanity is confronted with a icon like Superman. Possibility number two is we seek to kill him.

Any other eventuality is lazy, cheesy writing.

*Rendered entirely moot by a DC Universe where there are multiple superheroes. Superman would be nothing in a world where other superhumans exist. He'd be called out as a sham. There are other, human superheroes of varying abilities, and an alien has the nerve to call himself Superman? Fuck that. This is why as a concept, despite occasionally providing a few interesting stories (usually of the Batman vs. Superman variety), the idea of a JLA is ridiculous and how expanded Universes in comics are fucking retarded.

wetwired

stamp.jpg

I found this on google search, a picture of young terance stamp, though I won't say michael shannon looks like him they do have a certain similarity in intensity I guess is the best word to describe it?

Furret

Banned
Suairyu said:

Seriously, think about it: if Superman came to our Earth tomorrow, how would the people treat him? He'd be more important in everyone's life than Jesus is to Christians. He'd be seen as the messiah*. Superman=Jesus is number one of two logically possible conclusions when humanity is confronted with a icon like Superman. Possibility number two is we seek to kill him.

*Rendered entirely moot by a DC Universe where there are multiple superheroes. Superman would be nothing in a world where other superhumans exist. He'd be called out as a sham. There are other, human superheroes of varying abilities, and an alien has the nerve to call himself Superman? Fuck that. This is why as a concept, despite occasionally providing a few interesting stories (usually of the Batman vs. Superman variety), the idea of a JLA is ridiculous and how expanded Universes in comics are fucking retarded.

Err... you do know what happened to Jesus don't you?

Also I don't understand your point about the JLA at all. The awesomeness of Justice League Unlimited refutes whatever point it is you're trying to make.

(If it's purely about Superman referring to himself as a man, that's just silly semantics. Especially given how Superman thinks of himself.)

Blader

Furret said:
You're right. You're a much better source than the director and producer of the film. Also the writers.

Your source is from 2 years old, 1 year before the writers even started any kind of work on the sequel, and says that Khan is just one idea to consider (like Shatner making an appearance, which we already know isn't happening). Never mind the fact that JJ hasn't read any script yet and isn't even sure if he'll be involved.

So how does any of that point to Khan being "heavily rumored" as the sequel's villain?

bigboss370 said:

Prepare for:
here comes the punch...wait...pause...pause...pause...fastforwardtopunch...pause before it hits...slow-mo punch showing whomever face wrinkling up. Rinse, wash and repeat.

Because Snyder sucks at action and so does Nolah. Expecting a good action scene is blind fan boy optimism.

Suairyu said:

That is if you assume that people will see a powerful being as also being supernatural, therefore a being 'from another realm' associated with the divine.

In a scientific world orientation however, that would not be assumed so easily. Watchmen had a more interesting take on how the modern world would look at a Deus Ex Machina (Literally!).
You could even entertain the idea that the only reason dr. Manhattan is even in it, is to make everything else seem rather trivial. As if looking at masked adventurers who are clearly Bat-shit insane would somehow not make for something worth reading or viewing.

Dabanton

CaptYamato said:
Because Snyder sucks at action and so does Nolah. Expecting a good action scene is blind fan boy optimism.

Hmm i have to say i like the way Synder does his action scenes many a time the story may be lacking but his action scenes are always excellent to watch.

Suairyu

Banned
Zeitgeister said:
That is if you assume that people will see a powerful being as also being supernatural, therefore a being 'from another realm' associated with the divine.

In a scientific world orientation however, that would not be assumed so easily. Watchmen had a more interesting take on how the modern world would look at a Deus Ex Machina (Literally!).
You could even entertain the idea that the only reason dr. Manhattan is even in it, is to make everything else seem rather trivial. As if looking at masked adventurers who are clearly Bat-shit insane would somehow not make for something worth reading or viewing.
I said "more important than Jesus", not "would be seen as divine". He'd be the mortal Jesus figure; the creature of flesh and blood rendered more important in our lives than something mythological. Even if we as a people understand the science, we'd still cast him in that messiah light. We couldn't help it; we're too metaphorical/artistic a species.

And then a bunch of people would quite literally think of him as the messiah also.

I mean, fuckit, look what people expected of Obama. Not Obama the politician, but Obama the savior of all. That is the level of an elected official rose to in our public consciousness. It was farcical, but it was very real. People knew Obama is a man yet at the same time wove intricate fictions and metaphors about his superhuman 'going-to-make-it-right-for-everyone' abilities. And it wasn't even isolated to America; every leader of every nation wanted in on the Obama train. All this on a man who in hindsight can be considered a disappointment of an America President.

Now imagine how the public consciousness would react to Superman. Not only Superman, but a Superman who is able to consistently delivery on his promises of saving you, as well.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
YOU GUYS ARE CALLING FOR DARKSIED RATER THAN ZOD? HOLY FUCK PEOPLE. YOU DON'T JUST THROW DARKSIED IN A MOVIE. JESUS CHRIST, YOU NEED TO BUILD UP TO THAT SHIT. GOD DAMN YOU ALL.

MisterHero

Talking about traditional villains like Zod might be getting boring but between him and Doomsday, those two (as far as I know) were the only villains that made Superman consider killing and follow through.

Maybe Lex if you count JLU (he wished he could). Lol he didn't even kill Darkseid in either the comics or cartoon. He threw Darkseid into the Source Wall, and used put Doomsday in the Phantom Zone.

And that one Alan Moore story when he killed Mxyzptlk

Router said:
YOU GUYS ARE CALLING FOR DARKSIED RATER THAN ZOD? HOLY FUCK PEOPLE. YOU DON'T JUST THROW DARKSIED IN A MOVIE. JESUS CHRIST, YOU NEED TO BUILD UP TO THAT SHIT. GOD DAMN YOU ALL.

A good writer and director could easily have him in there.

Zabka

Suairyu said:

That's a really boring and superficial way of looking at things. From reading that one paragraph it seems like you don't know anything about Jesus or Superman.

Furret

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Your source is from 2 years old, 1 year before the writers even started any kind of work on the sequel, and says that Khan is just one idea to consider (like Shatner making an appearance, which we already know isn't happening). Never mind the fact that JJ hasn't read any script yet and isn't even sure if he'll be involved.

So how does any of that point to Khan being "heavily rumored" as the sequel's villain?

At least I've got a source.

Abrams mentions Khan by name three times in just that single article. It also refers to the writers discussing adding him.

If you can provide evidence that the idea has been discarded then carry on, otherwise just shut up and admit you were wrong.

Suairyu said:
I said "more important than Jesus", not "would be seen as divine". He'd be the mortal Jesus figure; the creature of flesh and blood rendered more important in our lives than something mythological. Even if we as a people understand the science, we'd still cast him in that messiah light. We couldn't help it; we're too metaphorical/artistic a species.

And then a bunch of people would quite literally think of him as the messiah also.

I mean, fuckit, look what people expected of Obama. Not Obama the politician, but Obama the savior of all. That is the level of an elected official rose to in our public consciousness. It was farcical, but it was very real. People knew Obama is a man yet at the same time wove intricate fictions and metaphors about his superhuman 'going-to-make-it-right-for-everyone' abilities. And it wasn't even isolated to America; every leader of every nation wanted in on the Obama train. All this on a man who in hindsight can be considered a disappointment of an America President.

Now imagine how the public consciousness would react to Superman. Not only Superman, but a Superman who is able to consistently delivery on his promises of saving you, as well.

Superman-syndrome of current society (what I suspect is driving the emphasis on -super- heroes to such extremes everywhere) is not quite the same as our view on things from space or their place in our society. As for the comparison with reality, in the real world Superman would not be able to save many people. For one, he would never be to sleep at all. Or stop for anything. He would just be going from place A to B and rarely make any kind of contact with anyone at all (or to be a dick to people). A realistic superman would have more in common with Hancock than Superman.

No object that exists in reality can ever have the properties that have been associated with omnipotence. The math, the physics, the scale, none of it works. And that's actually a good thing when it comes to determine the viability of the concept of freedom.
Media however, relate to the mind and not reality. It is quite understandable why people in a mediacraty "forget" to check what they see in the media with actual reality. The world of ideas behaves differently from the real world.

btw, in-fiction: Lex Luthor disagrees.

ZoddGutts

Router said:
Meh Too much bitching going on. Zod is he perfect character to reboot with.

Brainiac could have work as well, we could have seen Superman's origin's/background with him involve, plus Brainiac destroying Krypton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom