• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombie Army Trilogy |OT| Nazi Zombies (no, not that one)

GODDAMN.

This game is intense as fuck. Pretty damn difficult too. Just died for the fourth time and I didn't even make it that far into the level. I'm going to have drop the difficulty for a while as there's literally no way I can get through the game playing on the highest difficulty, the sheer number of zombies is just all consuming. You literally can't turn without coming face to face without.

Crowd control is key, I need to play on the lower difficulties and get used to just how much it throws at you.

One thing that deserves a lot of praise. Using the DS4 speaker for zombie moaning effects. Inspired design decision, it adds so much tension to playing the game and creates a very oppressive atmosphere. Can't remember the last time I felt so tense playing a game.

So yeah, incredible game. Everyone needs to buy this. Such a wonderful experience that deserves so much more attention than it's currently receiving.

AkuMifune

Banned
Wow those MG Elites... can't get past the second checkpoint in 1/2 ;)

Don't bother with anything other than headshots at a distance. Traps/explosives seem to do nothing in comparison. Use cover, stick and move. They are one thing much easier in co-op as someone can run interference or be a dsitraction. In SP they are coming for you like the Nemesis. (STAARS!)

So yeah, incredible game. Everyone needs to buy this. Such a wonderful experience that deserves so much more attention than it's currently receiving.

Word! It's the best surprise of the year by far. Maybe even much longer.

Don't bother with anything other than headshots at a distance. Traps/explosives seem to do nothing in comparison. Use cover, stick and move. They are one thing much easier in co-op as someone can run interference or be a dsitraction. In SP they are coming for you like the Nemesis. (STAARS!)

Word! It's the best surprise of the year by far. Maybe even much longer.

I've actually killed a ton of elites using traps, its essential IMO, but you still need to pop a few shots at his head though.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll say this, the MG Elites are MUCH tougher in Trilogy than they were in the original Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army. They seem to be a lot harder to stun, and much thicker skinned.

AkuMifune

Banned
I've actually killed a ton of elites using traps, its essential IMO, but you still need to pop a few shots at his head though.

Damn, I'll have to try changing my tactics again. With the first one you encounter I spent nearly 15 minutes laying traps running in and out out of the church, dynamite, landmines, etc... but with headshots he dropped pretty quick so I just stopped using traps on them altogether.

In the middle of the second campaign, really looking forward to getting to the 3rd. So many people say it changes it up quite a bit, getting excited to see it.

Remember that you have two different difficulty settings. Sniper Elite difficulty has more to do with the mechanics involved in putting your shot on target: the ballistics model, the need to manage your breathing for long range shots, bullet drop and wind. If you're feeling overwhelmed by the number and composition of the enemies that's a matter of the Enemy Setup option, which can also be reduced and the one that will provide the most difference for those who are having a hard time at first.

GODDAMN.

This game is intense as fuck. Pretty damn difficult too. Just died for the fourth time and I didn't even make it that far into the level. I'm going to have drop the difficulty for a while as there's literally no way I can get through the game playing on the highest difficulty, the sheer number of zombies is just all consuming. You literally can't turn without coming face to face without.

I'm playing at marksman difficulty with the enemy-count set to '1 player' and I feel like it's a little too easy. I either need to keep my current enemy-count and turn up the difficulty to elite, or keep the difficulty on marksman and change the enemy-count to 2 player.

Remember that you have two different difficulty settings. Sniper Elite difficulty has more to do with the mechanics involved in putting your shot on target: the ballistics model, the need to manage your breathing for long range shots, bullet drop and wind. If you're feeling overwhelmed by the number and composition of the enemies that's a matter of the Enemy Setup option, which can also be reduced and the one that will provide the most difference for those who are having a hard time at first.

Thanks for the info. I guess I need to up the enemy-count then.

But what about damage? Do the higher difficulties deal more damage to you, or is the damage the same for every setting?

Huh, I guess I just suck at the game right now. I probably need to sit down and play it properly when I have the time. Today's session was more of a quick session than one where I sat down focused and ready to take names.

Honestly, I was really just taken aback by how much more difficult it is than Sniper Elite.

But what about damage? Do the higher difficulties deal more damage to you, or is the damage the same for every setting?
Can't seem to successfully google the digital manual for this new re-release, so I can't say for certain. I *think* the core difficulty (Marksman, Sniper Elite, etc) also speaks to player health and how much ammo and equipment you find, but I could be wrong.

And don't fret Miles - The game needs to beat the shit out of you for a bit first, until you get the tempo down. You need to move around a lot more here compared to SE - and that also means keeping your head on a swivel and making the most of environmental traps.

And don't fret Miles - The game needs to beat the shit out of you for a bit first, until you get the tempo down. You need to move around a lot more here compared to SE - and that also means keeping your head on a swivel and making the most of environmental traps.

Yeah, the tempo is completely different to Sniper Elite. I knew it would be different, but I also thought there'd be moments of down time where you can camp and take down a the majority of a horde.

That was a stupid expectation in hindsight.

I'll give it Rebellion, they absolutely nailed the feeling of being a lone survivor in a world full of zombies whose only goal is to kill you at all costs. The almost never ending sense of oppression and constant fear of being overrun at any moment you feel is just insane.

Not even scavenging in the dead of night in State of Decay felt as tense as this.

Gold_Loot

Yeah, the tempo is completely different to Sniper Elite. I knew it would be different, but I also thought there'd be moments of down time where you can camp and take down a the majority of a horde.

That was a stupid expectation in hindsight.

I'll give it Rebellion, they absolutely nailed the feeling of being a lone survivor in a world full of zombies whose only goal is to kill you at all costs. The almost never ending sense of oppression and constant fear of being overrun at any moment you feel is just insane.

Not even scavenging in the dead of night in State of Decay felt as tense as this.
Well , to be fair , there are some moments where you can put alot of distance between you and the horde. You just have to get creative in your approach. The game doesn't spell out where to place camp and snipe like the SE series does.
It will come together after some time.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
They actually give you shooting galleries now and then where you can snipe a horde at literally no risk to yourself. It's a nice touch and helps pacing imo... giving you a needed breather sometimes..

They actually give you shooting galleries now and then where you can snipe a horde at literally no risk to yourself. It's a nice touch and helps pacing imo... giving you a needed breather sometimes..
Yep - there are plenty of those opportunities to just sit there and snipe - more than I thought I'd see honestly. But the first few hold-your-ground areas can be a brutal and bloody initiation to the other, more hectic side of things.

derFeef

Played 1/2 with Nin90 on Sniper Elite - hard but good - I did not know they remove the checkpoints in COOP but it makes sense.

meppi

Finally got the PS4 version in the mail today. After spending a whole day at work I finally got home and decided to spend an hour or so with it before going to bed.
Well, that didn't turn out so great....as I've been playing for over 3 hours now. :D

Such a fantastic game! I really hope it does really well and we get a fully fledged sequel.
Only played the first chapter of the first episode to completion so far, and I've played the second one quite a bit as well as the first chapter of the third game to see how it had evolved from the first game.
Can't wait to play some more tomorrow after work.

And this is yet another example of why review scores are worthless to me.
I understand that the game might not be everyone's cup of tea, but some of those reviews have been brutal, if not utterly unfair.

Just goes to show that a well made B games that puts fun above all else can be just as good, if not better than most AAA games.
Now bring on Earth Defense Forces 4.1 Shadow of New Despair in 3 weeks! ;)

Corsick

Is there any way to get this to run in borderless windowed mode on PC? It's not playing nicely in full screen with two monitors. Sometimes it makes my other monitor go completely black once I start it up on the other. It's the only game that does this.

And this is yet another example of why review scores are worthless to me.
I understand that the game might not be everyone's cup of tea, but some of those reviews have been brutal, if not utterly unfair.

A post earlier in the thread tempted me to check out a few reviews. I swear some of the reviewers played a different game to the one I'm enjoying so much. Soloing the game is bloody good fun, not a 'boring slog'. And for me at least the x-ray cam never gets old.

And I love reviews where they basically complain about the genre. Why give a shooter to a reviewer who doesn't like shooters? I know the sniping angle makes it a little niche, but bemoaning the amount of sniping in a review of this game just seems ludicrous.

It's like, 'I'd be loving this platformer if I didn't have to keep jumping on and off things', or 'it's so tiresome having to keep levelling up in this RPG'.

NIN90

Is there any way to get this to run in borderless windowed mode on PC? It's not playing nicely in full screen with two monitors. Sometimes it makes my other monitor go completely black once I start it up on the other. It's the only game that does this.
Set it to windowed and use one of them Borderless Windowed tools. There's like a dozen of them.

ironcreed

Banned

For sure. I finally managed to string a combo just shy of 100 in the second campaign. Which is great for me.

meppi

PS4.

X1 version is plagued by screen tearing.

Ah so all the talk about screen tearing is about the Xbone version?
Good to know as I haven't encountered any yet on PS4 and it's one of those things that annoys me to no end. So much worse than a couple of frame drops here or there.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Personally traps are a waste of time and resources. Not to mention ruin your LOS for a short period of time till the smoke clears.

One is much better off just gaining some distance between yourself and frankenazi and shooting the fucker in the face multiple times.

I look at psn at work like 3 hours ago, game is still $39.99 for ps +, I get home, get on to buy it and bam, $49.99 :(. I wish I could go physical for that price. Tornnnn

xrnzaaas

I started playing solo campaign (on a PS4) and, man, this game is soooo much fun. The first mission took me 1 hour and 25 minutes on the Sniper Elite difficulty, but I didn't die even once. :D

xrnzaaas

For me it's perfect - tpp when you're moving around, aiming from the hip and using other weapons, fpp when you're looking through the scope.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
would've preferred the game to be in first person, but you guys seem to be enjoying the game, right?

The series has always been a TPS, so would not have made sense to change it. Trust me when I say though it works great in the TPV. :)

Oneself

It works perfectly in 3rd person, it's quite useful to be able to take a peek around corners without being gunned down by the big guys.

Im really enjoying the game right now. Solo and co-op. I played through the campaigns solo and finally reached chapter 3 beyond berlin. I have to say the game gets really hard and unfair. It is fairly obvious that insolo play you are missing a second person for flanking, distractions and reviving....

....other than that: a marvelous game.I like it so much i also ordered the sniper elite 3 ultimate edition.;)

My only regret with the game is that lack of level / item / weapon progression. They could have done oh so much to make co-op even more fun and rewarding.

NIN90

Im really enjoying the game right now. Solo and co-op. I played through the campaigns solo and finally reached chapter 3 beyond berlin. I have to say the game gets really hard and unfair. It is fairly obvious that insolo play you are missing a second person for flanking, distractions and reviving....

....other than that: a marvelous game.I like it so much i also ordered the sniper elite 3 ultimate edition.;)

My only regret with the game is that lack of level / item / weapon progression. They could have done oh so much to make co-op even more fun and rewarding.

Hm, I disagree. So far I could manage every situation (on Marksman difficulty) by keeping on the move and/or strategically placing mines or tripwires.
You also get way more checkpoints in solo play (which could actually be seen as an acknowledgment of your issues by the developers, I guess).

I'm at a section on the second campaign where I'm on a bridge and I have to hold my ground. Each end of the bridge is on fire so I can't escape. I'm getting bombarded by constant waves on enemies, constant suicide zombies, and then an MG zombies comes as well. I'm just getting overwhelmed trying to do it solo, I'm gonna have to co-op this part.

I'm at a section on the second campaign where I'm on a bridge and I have to hold my ground. Each end of the bridge is on fire so I can't escape. I'm getting bombarded by constant waves on enemies, constant suicide zombies, and then an MG zombies comes as well. I'm just getting overwhelmed trying to do it solo, I'm gonna have to co-op this part.

Did that section solo just last night. I died twice before getting through. But then again, I am playing on Cadet difficulty level, where you're basically invulnerable if you can avoid getting surrounded.

Feel like I'm the only person in the thread playing on Cadet, but I often start games on the easiest level to start with, then play through again later on a harder difficulty. However, the last few nights I've come to realise just how much damage you can take on Cadet and it has robbed the game of some of its awesome tension. Going to have turn it up tonight.

I couldn't pass that either. Had to skip it and start campaign 3. Think I'm gonna drop it to cadet to get through it. That part was made strictly for coop I think.

Quikies83

I'm really considering picking this up for xbone. I really have a soft spot for horde like modes..
Would any of you have interest in pairing up??

Feel like I'm the only person in the thread playing on Cadet, but I often start games on the easiest level to start with, then play through again later on a harder difficulty.

In the middle of the second campaign i had to switch to cadet difficulty too. Nothing to be ashamed of. For me the game is hard as nuts and i consider it an achievemnt if i can get through all campaigns.

Did that section solo just last night. I died twice before getting through. But then again, I am playing on Cadet difficulty level, where you're basically invulnerable if you can avoid getting surrounded.

Feel like I'm the only person in the thread playing on Cadet, but I often start games on the easiest level to start with, then play through again later on a harder difficulty. However, the last few nights I've come to realise just how much damage you can take on Cadet and it has robbed the game of some of its awesome tension. Going to have turn it up tonight.

You should try putting the difficulty up to Marksman and try that same part. I can do most of it no problem, but as soon as the MG guy comes I'm fucked.

Seems like there's an issue where once you finish a level, some of the final cutscene will play but then you'll be kicked back to the lobby rather than the level finishing so you won't get the trophy/achievement.

Host has always still been in the lobby when it's happened to me so it's not a case of them disconnecting. Happened to me on parts two and four of the first episode so far.

AkuMifune

Banned
Seems like there's an issue where once you finish a level, some of the final cutscene will play but then you'll be kicked back to the lobby rather than the level finishing so you won't get the trophy/achievement.

Host has always still been in the lobby when it's happened to me so it's not a case of them disconnecting. Happened to me on parts two and four of the first episode so far.

This has happened to me too and I assumed the host just abandoned right before the end, or that I had somehow joined the game late and it didn't completely count. It's annoying, but as I'm just about done with the first two campaigns less of an issue for me now. Sucks though.

How long does an average horde session last? I need to know how much time to set aside for one...

You should try putting the difficulty up to Marksman and try that same part. I can do most of it no problem, but as soon as the MG guy comes I'm fucked.

Holy crap. The jump in difficulty from Cadet to Marksman is ridiculous on that bridge part. Playing through the rest of the Terminal mission on Marksman was actually more fun than when I did it on Cadet. But soloing that bridge with the difficulty turned up, that's just not happening for me right now. Fuck knows what it's like on Elite.

For the record, I've died ten times in a row, and I only survived long enough for the MG bastard to show up twice. I'm going to persevere a bit longer but I don't hold out much hope.

EDIT: I'm getting closer. Not close enough though.

EDIT 2: Well. I've done it, but I can't help thinking it was more by luck than judgement. And it took me over an hour.

So I picked this up for xbox and I'm loving the difficulty so far. Playing on marksman.
What weapons are you guys liking?

Rifle - Gewehr. Fast rate of fire and highest zoom level out of any of the rifles. Very useful for putting some distance between you and the MG elites so you can fire at their heads in rapid succession.

Secondary - Trusty 12 gauge shotgun. Great crowd-control.

Pistol - Webley. It's only single-shot, but it's very powerful. Kills zombies in one shot. Very useful for if you're getting overrun and have no secondary ammo left.

Top Bottom