• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU (and Zombi) is one of the most underrated games of recent memory

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, I didn't play much of the singleplayer but the multiplayer was really fun and unique on the U. Such a shame it didn't move over to the other versions.

Alan Wake

550x479.jpg

400 bucks

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF
It would've been cool if the console and Gamepad had a Zombi U motive at least. But no.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
It's a fantastic game and up there with Alien Isolation in terms of tension. I played it over Christmas with my flat mate the year it came out and it's something I won't forget. The atmosphere is phenomenal.

The multiplayer mode is one of the most original takes on local play I've ever seen.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I never played multiplayer but wasn't the Gamepad a crucial part of it?
Yes, it was. The gamepad user had a map and could spawn enemies. However, they could've made you connect your smartphone for the other versions and it would've worked, but they didn't do that.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
What is most incredible is the development time was a year since changing it from Attack of the Clowns From Outer Space to this masterpiece. With a few tweaks in the combat aka "Condemned" style would have only enhanced this game. There is no other game that uses the second controller in such tense situations. Your controller felt like your backpack and it added to the intensity. The only reason that the WiiU failed was not because of the lack of innovation, but because of its name. Simple as that. The Switch is basically a WiiU with detachable, portable systems.
While most of what you said is true, the switch can’t do asynchronous gameplay like the WiiU can. That’s about the only difference.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hands down, one of the best survival horror experiences of all time. My first playthrough of ZombiU at launch was simply amazing. Super tense, satisfying, edge of your seat experience. Plays good on the PS4 but the WiiU version is the best because of the tablet.

The bulk of the reviews were way off target, the developers made it clear they were aiming for an old school survival horror experience and they nailed it. The "repetitive" melee combat is perfectly fine. I understand if it's not your thing but it certainly shouldn't be considered "bad" gameplay. It does have a few bugs and isn't a perfect game but it's completely solid overall and definitely worth playing. One of my favorite games of all time and a shame that we'll never get a sequel.

In certain ways, ZombiU showcased what Resident Evil7 would later do and for me personally, I prefer ZombiU over RE7.

hollams

Gold Member
I tried to play the PC version last night but it crashes on startup every time. I've tried the tricks I've found but never could get it to work.

sn0man

There is no other game that uses the second controller in such tense situations. Your controller felt like your backpack and it added to the intensity. The only reason that the WiiU failed was not because of the lack of innovation, but because of its name. Simple as that.

Wholeheartedly agree! ZombiU, as a whole package is amazing! Single player modes, and dat asymmetric local multiplayer, are to die for. First person survival horror at its finest

for those that haven’t played it and wondered what the deal with the WiiU is... this is really one of the few (maybe only) games that made the tablet controller make a lot of sense. It wasn’t gimmick pinch and swipe gestures. It really did make you think, I’ve got to get to a corner and listen closely to make sure there are no zombies. I want to “open my backpack and craft something” which translates to look away while I’m the only person around dealing with many decently strong zombies that can own me.

if you like unique experiences, you should definitely at least find a good video showing gameplay. It has wonderful atmosphere.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Started playing this again yesterday, just as good as I remembered.

I was browsing the instruction booklet to see if there was anything in it on the story, etc. I noticed 2 gems, lol.

cRtfW2P.jpg

r9Km0iD.jpg

I noticed the "shit" comment first and thought that was unique to see cursing in an instruction manual. The condom comment is just ridiculous, lol. Can't believe that made it through PR and all that. How funny.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Started playing this again yesterday, just as good as I remembered.

I was browsing the instruction booklet to see if there was anything in it on the story, etc. I noticed 2 gems, lol.

cRtfW2P.jpg

r9Km0iD.jpg

I noticed the "shit" comment first and thought that was unique to see cursing in an instruction manual. The condom comment is just ridiculous, lol. Can't believe that made it through PR and all that. How funny.
LOL! Is it the American version? My PAL manual looks nothing like this.

Romulus

To me, it did a good job at tension and atmosphere for what it was. But by the time I played it on Wii U I had already experienced things like Alien Isolation and other horror games in VR which are just magnitudes more immersive.

fart town usa

Gold Member
To me, it did a good job at tension and atmosphere for what it was. But by the time I played it on Wii U I had already experienced things like Alien Isolation and other horror games in VR which are just magnitudes more immersive.
I really want to try Isolation but reading about the Alien rubber-band AI made me stay away from it. Is it as bad/cheap as some people make it out to be? I love a good survival horror challenge but I don't want to be annoyed by cheap deaths and stuff like that due to sloppy AI mechanics.

Romulus

I really want to try Isolation but reading about the Alien rubber-band AI made me stay away from it. Is it as bad/cheap as some people make it out to be? I love a good survival horror challenge but I don't want to be annoyed by cheap deaths and stuff like that due to sloppy AI mechanics.

To me the AI was incredible, and in VR you really don't think about things like that much because you feel like you're trying to survive literally. I know it sounds cheesy, but the experience is fucking amazing.

fart town usa

Gold Member
To me the AI was incredible, and in VR you really don't think about things like that much because you feel like you're trying to survive literally. I know it sounds cheesy, but the experience is fucking amazing.
I'll have to check it out, thanks for the insight. I love a good survival horror experience.

This makes me miss Miiverse. Once someone asked for help on a part in this game and I was able to draw a stick figure diagram which helped them figure it out immediately. Honestly it was just cool to be able to have people lost screenshots of parts they were stuck in and also reply visually instead of just verbally.

fart town usa

Gold Member
This makes me miss Miiverse. Once someone asked for help on a part in this game and I was able to draw a stick figure diagram which helped them figure it out immediately. Honestly it was just cool to be able to have people lost screenshots of parts they were stuck in and also reply visually instead of just verbally.
Dude, the Miiverse was such a riot. It was absolutely hilarious to see the mish mash with the posts. Some were clearly kids drawing cartoonishly bad drawings, others were super talented. The Willem Dafoe take over of an obscure game page (Funky Barn maybe?), lol.

But yea, ZombiU in particular was great, seeing screenshots and reactions, people helping each other like you mentioned. Such a shame that Miiverse is gone. Nintendo at the very least could have closed it but kept the posts available to simply look at. Countless hours of entertainment.

sircaw

Banned
If you've never seen Zombi U :

has some stuff about "Killer Freaks from Outer Space"...which is what the game was first announced as. Seemed like an interesting concept in its own right

The Commentator in op video says "obviously you feel underpowered", says this when said character has a bat in his hand.

I have seen what Negan can do with a bat in hand, I am not buying his story. :messenger_grimmacing_

Jokes aside, never heard of this game but it looks fun.

assurdum

Banned
I have played it for a couple days, honestly I don't understand what exactly is it special about this game. I have abandoned it when I couldn't stand the boredom anymore.

Last edited:

Sejan

This is a great game, but unfortunately it most rewards the most boring way to play. The game needed some reworking to prevent players from just kiting enemies with the cricket bat for the whole game.

If this game were made today, it would probably be awesome if it leaned into some roguelike/soulslike elements. It’s already partway there with permadeath characters and losing your character growth on death.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I never played it. Maybe it's time to check it out. It's on ps and pc
If you like old-school survival horror, you can't go wrong.

I think it's absolutely amazing and have been chipping away at it on the WiiU the last few weeks.

One thing to keep in mind if you do play it. It's not a shooter by any means. Yes there are multiple guns and even parts of the game where you can jump on a turret gun but it's a slow paced, exploration based game. Lots of scanning with your 'prepper pad', resource management, etc. Once you get the mechanics down you can handle mobs of zombies with relative ease but prior to that, it's best not to take on more than 2 at a time, really easy to get killed.

For certain types of gamers, it's near flawless in it's survival horror execution. For everyone else they get bored and trash it. It's really a shame because it did a lot of things right that would later be replicated but ZombiU is mostly treated as a shit game. It sucks that we'll never get a sequel.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I have played it for a couple days, honestly I don't understand what exactly is it special about this game. I have abandoned it when I couldn't stand the boredom anymore.
It's old school survival horror at a time when the genre was essentially dead. Not for everyone and lots of people do find it boring. For myself and other people it's a super exhilarating and amazing gaming experience. This game totally comes down to personal preference.

Top Bottom