• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Played about 3 hours today.

It is very stressful to play and not very enjoyable..and I think that's a good thing.

If the sign of a good game is not wanting to quit, this is a very good game.

Going to start live streaming some more of this in just a few minutes.

thank you for the feed.

one criticism, the amount of damage it takes to down a single zombie is more than a little extreme. there was a zombie with virtually no head left still putting up a fight. first piece of media I've seen that's given me cause for concern.

outside of that, it looks really good. the overbearing atmosphere is great and very unsettling. can't wait to experience in person.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Towards the end of my second playthrough, I just need one more CCTV box to scan. Those things are tricky to find. I had about 4 missing during my first playthrough.

I love the exploration in this game. It rarely gives you any hints, you just gotta explore and figure stuff out. Really rewarding style of gameplay.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Thanks. Im loving the game but stupidly.bought 8 other launch games...

Oh wow, makes me feel better about my purchase of 6 games (all of which I have enjoyed so far). Honestly though I could see at least 8 games worth purchasing in this launch, assuming you missed out on some of the ports available on the other consoles.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yeah I totally agree and still have Condemned 1 and 2 :D ZombiU is a classic already in my eyes. A sequel can only make it better.

I agree. ZombiU is quite possibly the best survival horror game I've ever played. It's so damn scary and intense.

A sequel with a larger budget and proper characters would be fantastic. I really hope they keep it in Europe. I'd love to explore some old castles and whatnot.

It's an exciting time for survival horror seeing how the genre is basically extinct. ZombiU could bring about a revival or at the very least, an awesome series exclusive to the WiiU.

The price of admission for this game is expensive but well worth the money.

Lucent

Played about 3 hours today.

It is very stressful to play and not very enjoyable..and I think that's a good thing.

If the sign of a good game is not wanting to quit, this is a very good game.

Just like a real zombie apocalypse. You would feel pretty stressed and not find it very enjoyable to experience that. lol =P

I just ran into a game-ruining glitch that makes it so you can't get through a door once you're later in the game.

I gave the game a strong review but I can't stand bugs like this and don't have the patience to wait for a patch. I'm trading it to a friend for NSMBU tomorrow.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I just ran into a game-ruining glitch that makes it so you can't get through a door once you're later in the game.

I gave the game a strong review but I can't stand bugs like this and don't have the patience to wait for a patch. I'm trading it to a friend for NSMBU tomorrow.

Yea, I've ran into at least 3 bugs that have caused me to reset. My brother did as well last night. The game definitely has bugs but it hasn't been anything tha has made me lose more than an hour of progress. Hopefully they get patched at some point.

Teknoman

Just like a real zombie apocalypse. You would feel pretty stressed and not find it very enjoyable to experience that. lol =P

Well if any experience accurately portrays it, ZombiU is it. The character "panic breathing" while sprinting from things doesnt help :p

Lucent

Well if any experience accurately portrays it, ZombiU is it. The character "panic breathing" while sprinting from things doesnt help :p

I like the sounds he/she makes as he/she is bashing zombies in the head repeatedly. lol it sounds so desperate and angry.

fart town usa

Gold Member
How's the online for this game? I'm getting this on Monday and if the MP mode is fun I'll need to start adding people.

Multiplayer is local only.

The online component involves messages and people in the miiverse who have died. If you kill them they usually have loot on them, the ones with higher scores at least.

It's very demon's/dark souls style but not as involved. The messages for the most part are pretty worthless. The ZombiU dev team has been leaving messages in the safehouses though, that's prett cool.

Sorry to hear :( So far almost 8 hours in and haven't had any game breaking glitches. Can you list what you had happened so I know what to look out for.

Just got this and need Zombie U friends. Feel free to add me. My NNID is: thebigkahuna.

My ID is AbbyVampire and I'll add you next time I turn on my WiiU. Feel free to add me anyone else that is reading this. Say your from GAF tho, or else I won't accept the request most likely.

How's the online for this game? I'm getting this on Monday and if the MP mode is fun I'll need to start adding people.
there is no online mustiplayer. The only online is leaderboards, and the ability to loot your friends zombies where they died. (I love that so many people die at the safe house...so easy to get it and put it in a safe place hehe.)

fart town usa

Gold Member
So I found a game breaking bug, no way for me to progress and I'm not starting over. I think I'm done with the game.

Damn. You are at the end. That sucks.

The game definitely has its bugs. It's froze on me and glitched at least 3 times, thankfully I was able to just reset and start from the safehouse.

If it's any help, playing through the game a second time is just as scary. Zombies are in slightly different areas and the codes for the doors change.

Linkhero1

I'm really having a hard time playing this. I find it difficult to advance without having that feeling that I'm going to die and have to start over.

Lucent

I'm really having a hard time playing this. I find it difficult to advance without having that feeling that I'm going to die and have to start over.

lol I don't understand this feeling. Like I played Dark Souls and I'd usually be like "man I dunno if I can handle these things but here we go" -whacks monster. doesn't do much- "umm..." -throws some magic at it- "EFF THIS!!" -runs and tries another area-

I never stop trying something though. I don't think I'll have this problem. >_<

Linkhero1

lol I don't understand this feeling. Like I played Dark Souls and I'd usually be like "man I dunno if I can handle these things but here we go" -whacks monster. doesn't do much- "umm..." -throws some magic at it- "EFF THIS!!" -runs and tries another area-

The feeling of losing everything sucks. The feeling I have while playing is fear that I will lose everything I hoarded since the beginning of the game. It has nothing to do with the game being easy or difficult. One mistake can cost you everything.

fart town usa

Gold Member
The feeling of losing everything sucks. The feeling I have while playing is fear that I will lose everything I hoarded since the beginning of the game. It has nothing to do with the game being easy or difficult. One mistake can cost you everything.

Yea but once you clear an area you can pretty much sprint back to where you died. Once an area is clear it's pretty easy to make it through a 2nd time. Just don't die while returning to your body. It's much easier than demon's/dark souls in that respect, enemies don't respawn in zombiU the same manner as they do in the souls games.

VICI0US

holy cow, king of zombies is a blast.

my wife and I just spent probably 4 hours playing.

probably the best example of the whole "asymmetrical gameplay" concept thus far.

That's one of the things I LOVE about the game. It makes you evaluate every decision. Even minor decisions make you really think through if it's really worth it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
That's one of the things I LOVE about the game. It makes you evaluate every decision. Even minor decisions make you really think through if it's really worth it.

Yea. The moments for me that stand out are when I know there are zombies beneath me and I have to go down a ladder to get to where I need to go. The planning and execution phase are the most intense experiences I've ever had in a game. Limited mechanics my ass. I've charted courses and planned routes that left me unscathed and I was saying, "oh shit oh shit oh shit!!" the entire way through. It's such a rewarding feeling but in order to get there you have to actually learn the game's mechanics and its environments. It seems like some people/reviewers weren't able to wrap their brain around such concepts.

Sanctuary

In the Souls games you don't lose levels for dying twice, you just lose your cash/potential level. You also don't start over with 0 skills. You also have so many more options at your disposal in the Souls games; and I really wish people would quit comparing this game to that series. They are absolutely nothing alike at all except for the fact that dying is costly in some way. That's their only connection. Dying in that series actually felt like player mistakes most of the time (except for Maneater until you do any of the many ways to cheese it) and it was rewarding in a sense, because you got back up and learned from your mistake. This game makes dying feel cheap and not rewarding in any way at all, mostly because of very clunky mechanics. I don't care about the supposed "realism" that keeps being touted around, because the way you swing the damn cricket bat, or the way it takes so many shots to kill a zombie (and you can't disable them first in some way) is anything but realistic.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
So I found a game breaking bug, no way for me to progress and I'm not starting over. I think I'm done with the game.

http://youtu.be/gmSl0mieics

So die again, your old zombie will despawn, and the items will be replaced.

If you die on the way back to your corpse mission critical items will return to their spot (or a random spot I dunno)

Edit:

In the Souls games you don't lose levels for dying twice, you just lose your cash. You also don't start over with 0 skills. You also have so many more options at your disposal in the Souls games; and I really wish people would quit comparing this game to that series. They are absolutely nothing alike at all except for the fact that dying is costly in some way. That's their only connection.

You miss the point. First off, ZombiU is set in more "realistic" tones and its skills are easy as hell to level up for the most part if you care that badly (You shouldn't). Second off, the comparison is due to the nature of the games, both are intense experiences with hardcore difficulty that encourages you to keep trying while punishing you severely.

Lucent

Yeah pretty much. But I gotta agree that the cricket bat being the sole weapon is kind of dumb. They could've easily done it Condemned style and let you pick up random stuff. And only having like one way to swing the cricket bat doesn't help either.

I'm sure I'll still enjoy the game. Just not sure how much though.

Sanctuary

So die again, your old zombie will despawn, and the items will be replaced.

If you die on the way back to your corpse mission critical items will return to their spot (or a random spot I dunno)

Edit:

You miss the point. First off, ZombiU is set in more "realistic" tones and its skills are easy as hell to level up for the most part if you care that badly (You shouldn't). Second off, the comparison is due to the nature of the games, both are intense experiences with hardcore difficulty that encourages you to keep trying while punishing you severely.

The issue is that the "difficulty" of the Souls games is highly exaggerated. It's not that difficult for anyone who has played any older action game. It's not easy, but it's also not "punishingly hard". People just say that it is because of how much this generation of games has held the player's hand. You have to fight the controls and mechanics of ZombiU way too much in comparison. That is the only thing that makes this game "hard".

The issue is that the "difficulty" of the Souls games is highly exaggerated. It's not that difficult for anyone who has played any older action game. It's not easy, but it's also not "punishingly hard". You have to fight the controls and mechanics of ZombiU way too much in comparison. That is the only thing that makes this game "hard".

I won't say your opinion is wrong but I HIGHLY disagree with that statement. Sure it has some small issues but I am not "fighting" the game when playing this whatsoever.

Top Bottom