• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zune Software 2.3 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
I'm scared. Have you installed yet? I'll probably give it week or so to see what the zune nerds say. As of now, i have the software running just the way i want it and i dont want this update to screw it all up.

clav

wtf still no unicode support

Ipod > Zune until MS fixes this

Ohh... for software. Damn it.

Upgrade the fucking firmware for asian language support.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Damn, it only removed a handful of songs out of the album that doesn't exist on my zune according to the software.

I want these ghost songs gone now.

MaX_PL

Banned
it still seems like my podcast downloads are getting messed up once i sync.

you guys know what im talking about? how theres the yellow exclamation near the podcast image.

tokkun

The post from the official Zune blog says that this is only bug fixes and contains no new features. I didn't notice any differences after installing the update. Very disappointing.

EDIT: Here's the feature list

* Fixed top crashing bugs submitted by users
* Fixed bug where Zune software thinks the device memory is full (but isn’t)

Key Marketplace fixes

* Allow users to view top music videos in marketplace
* Misc improved error messaging including splitting sign-in issues into 4 separate errors for customer and support benefit
* Retrieval of subscription download history no longer stalls if the content is revoked
* Better handling of accounts that have expired credit cards
* Podcasts with spaces in their name can now be subscribed to
* Marketplace no longer blocks explicit content purchases when parental controls are set to allow
* Points balance label is now updated when user purchases new points

Key Player UI fixes

* Allow zooming in/out (2x, 4x, fullscreen) during video playback to prevent stretched playback
* Ability to switch Zune to GDI mode through command-line parameter

Key Podcast fixes

* Allow subscriptions to podcasts larger than 10MB
* Fixed some parsing errors that prevented some podcasts from syncing to the device
* Fixed bug where podcasts were unsubscribing themselves

Key Setup fixes

* Fixed numerous bugs affecting build to build upgrades
* Improved installation for users accessing from corporate networks
* Fixed driver uninstall failures
* Included device 2.3 firmware in client download
* Failure in creating system restore point no longer blocks client installation

Key Sync fixes

* Fixed issues with reverse sync
* Fixes issues with sync meter UI showing incorrect information as to what is on the device
* Fixed issues using wireless sync with multiple devices to the same PC
* Fixed a few different issues setting up wireless sync
* Device is no longer being reported as full even after deleting large file from device
* Device content is no longer being turned into guest content when it shouldn’t be
* Content with bad metadata now shows properly so it can be removed from device
* Turning off “autolaunch when a Zune device is connected” no longer prevents “Sync Now” from working from a wirelessly connected device
* Podcast bookmarking is now transferred/saved to the device
* Wireless sync connection continues to work after rebooting host computer
* Unsubscribe podcast from device now works properly
* Changing album art in the client now updates the device as well
* Duplicate tracks are no longer synced to the device twice

Key Xbox Streaming bug fixes

* Xbox Streaming now monitors the rip folder if user changes default location
* No need to reinstall client to fix Xbox Streaming when upgrading from XP to Vista

Key Infrastructure fixes

* Vista x64 customers can now get to web help from error messages
* Client no longer crashes if database is corrupted

Key Library fixes

* Changes in pictures or video metadata made outside client will now get updated in the library
* UI is now smoother during file groveling
* When a track is added to an album we will now always update the track on disc
* User can now update album art for marketplace tracks
* 'Unknown Artist' metadata is no longer written to files when writing out user edit of album name
* Renaming an artist now more reliably keeps the change
* Two different copies of the same album no longer get duplicated down to one when it shouldn’t
* Access violation no longer occurs when checking song properties in the burn list
* Multi-disc albums imported from iTunes no longer show in the client as a single disc album
* Thumbnails for video content now extract on XP properly

MaX_PL

Banned
whats misleading about it? the article also states there are no new features.

btw, is the first software update since the release of the new zune? i want to get an idea of when we can expect a new one with the features everyones asked for.

RumFore

Banned
Zune software is such shit I cant believe. Its like the purposely handicapped it. Still pist it takes so damn long to add a movie to it. I thought software wise it would be better than the Ipod but no fucking way when you use winamp.

HaloFans said:
wtf still no unicode support

Ipod > Zune until MS fixes this

Ohh... for software. Damn it.

Upgrade the fucking firmware for asian language support.

I believe there will be a tool of some sorts that will add this unless I misread that thread:

http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/zune-hacks-mods/9346-zune-suppport-unicode-4.html

RumFore said:
Zune software is such shit I cant believe. Its like the purposely handicapped it. Still pist it takes so damn long to add a movie to it. I thought software wise it would be better than the Ipod but no fucking way when you use winamp.

Download the Zalternator and you can sync with other programs like winamp

http://www.zuneboards.com/content/view/308/2/

MaX_PL said:
it still seems like my podcast downloads are getting messed up once i sync.

you guys know what im talking about? how theres the yellow exclamation near the podcast image.

I believe that is the podcast's rss feeds fault. If you right click the picture with the yellow ! mark and choose error details it should tell you why its failing.

I can't install this at all. I tried a larger Zune install that Microsoft has which should've worked but I still get a shit ton of errors. I was hoping a new install would solve the unknown problems I had with the old software where it wouldn't play files with DRM. I can't even uninstall the old software because of a fatal error.

:\

Companion Cube said:
I can't install this at all. I tried a larger Zune install that Microsoft has which should've worked but I still get a shit ton of errors. I was hoping a new install would solve the unknown problems I had with the old software where it wouldn't play files with DRM. I can't even uninstall the old software because of a fatal error.

:\

What OS?

Zeed

Banned
I've been holding off on a Zune until they released software that wasn't buggy shit.

Let me know what you think, GAF.

Their software isn't buggy. The issue is that it's quite limited in what it lets you do. Compared to iTunes it's so hard to edit data, but that's about it. Otherwise it has FOLDER MONITORING, which means it's better than iTunes by about 359786954x

So yeah, I just installed this and now everytime I open Zune it crashes. WTF

Edit: After pressing the debug button it seems to be working now. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom