• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whining about something as little as making an account is how PC has free online.

Braag

I wish you whined and cried more about digital ownership. Demanded the ability to sell or trade your digital software license. This is way more important than almost anything else happening in the PC space.
It's only a matter of time before corporate greed takes a step too far and EU starts looking more into it.
We are already seeing it with Ubi pulling The Crew from digital libraries.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
As someone who pretty much a PS user since kid, Playstation fans are the biggest bootlickers in the whole gaming community. These peeps would rather defend a multi billion corporation than see the image of their favorite brand getting tarnished. They will never understand the PC community. They'll just dismiss this "protest" as being whiny.
So...............like any other zealots then.

"They'll never understand the PC community". I'm a PC user of 15 years. I'm a PlayStation user of nearly 30 years. What's to understand? What grandiose piece is being missed here? Sounds like some holier than thou nonsense.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

It's only a matter of time before corporate greed takes a step too far and EU starts looking more into it.
The EU can look into it as much as they like, it's not going to change the tide. The EU just uses tech to grandstand and to further encroach on market freedoms.

None of their other investigations or rulings have changed the most inescapable realities of the internet and tech.

Last edited:

nowhat

There are days when I wake up, feeling like I've just drank the last few brain cells I've left. Like, I'm completely retarded from now on.

But then I discover threads like this, and it's a great feeling. Perhaps I've yet to reach peak retard.

Buggy Loop

But you still need an account and their launchers to play the games on Steam. From the end users perspective it's basically the same as before.

No

DRM free games or once enabled don’t need the steam client to play. Of course you need client to download but that’s it. There’s even the example of Witcher 3 which you can take the downloaded content on an USB drive and go play at your friend’s house.

Again, it’s up to devs, steam does not enforce DRM

It’s widely accepted around all DRM discussions that needing account/client to download is not really DRM. Otherwise GOG would also be DRM, consoles too.

But you lose achievements, cloud saving and steam overlay. Seriously a stupid as fuck move imo to sacrifice all these QOL features just to be a DRM purist. All legal digital content has a “DRM” of some sort depending how vague you want the definition to be. It’s tiring really to discuss this as if Steam is some sort of Denuvo or something. Let’s not even get into consoles which are oozing with DRM. There’s no DRM free on consoles, there’s no options. You think you can avoid it with physical media nowadays? If the game is even complete or just a download token on that disc? The platform holders can revoke your access to a game even if you have a physical copy and that’s it. You’re left to hack away a console to get it back.

lifa-cobex

iMyEDo3.jpeg

Last edited:

Fabieter

In my opinion, creating/linking a PSN account to play the games isn't a bad thing, but as I mentioned in the other thread, they handled it completely in the wrong way, they should have made it optional but then offered benefits to the players to log in/link the accounts. Free currency/skins/boosters or cross-platform progress, trophies, or literally something that benefits gamers. They didn't do either of those things and just made it mandatory for no benefit to the players. And they did this ~5 months after the game released.

I don't play the game but to me it seems like they handled this badly and deserve the pushback from the people that bought the game and have been supporting it.

It's close to three month not five. Why do people always lie to make a point.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Idyllic... with poorly optimized ports, Denuvo, easy access to cheats and file scumming, and a checkered history of third party shit launchers.
You have a very interesting idea of "idyllic".
It's been pretty idyllic for me and many other people at least. Hence why it's been growing in playerbase exponentially over the past 10 or so years. I can list negatives of console too if you like, all platforms have them. PC just tends to balance those negatives out better, hence idyllic.
Also, "easy access to cheats and file scumming" is quite a funny way of saying mods
The only reason you don't have to pay a subscription for Steam is because Valve knows other outlets like GoG and Windows Store is waiting in the wings to take their sales. And yet there's a massive contingent of PC gamers who openly champion a Steam-only monopoly, refusing to buy games unless it's on Steam.
Steam tried paid mods once and it backfired on them with a smaller user base, so even then we didn't need to switch platforms.

Ignoring that, valve knows that gog and windows store are ready to take their sales, but at the same time, there's a massive amount of steam gamers who will only use steam? Make up your damn mind.

Last edited:

ScHlAuChi

The EU can look into it as much as they like, it's not going to change the tide. The EU just uses tech to grandstand and to further encroach on market freedoms.
None of their other investigations or rulings have changed the most inescapable realities of the internet and tech.
GDPR had a big impact on user data security worldwide, so much that the US wants to copy that law!
DSA and DMA are doing the same with tech - they open up those markets, not encrouch them.
If it changes nothing like you claim, why is Apple constantly bitching about it? ;)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The saddest thing in all of this is seeing the corporate bootlickers defending this kind od shitty practice.

Fuck the consumer I guess.
I mean GAF is a pretty PS centric board so backlash is always going to happen with PC threads like this. Remember a while back when I made a thread talking about how people who hated 30FPS should switch to PC? 14 pages of insanity and copium

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I mean GAF is a pretty PS centric board so backlash is always going to happen with PC threads like this.
Yeah I guess, but still, you can have a prefered gaming system without having to alienate with the company behind it.

The ammount of excuses made up for Sony on this and the other thread is astounding, like they were paying a defense force or something. Sad thing is that they obviuosly don't and it's just people freely choosing to side with the company rather than the consumers, same company that enforced paid online for their platform of choice.

"But MS and Nintendo did the same!". Sure they did, what a pity, maybe console players should have been "whinny crybabies" back then like PC players are being now.

Remember a while back when I made a thread talking about how people who hated 30FPS should switch to PC? 14 pages of insanity and copium
Lol I think I missed that one, will look up for it.

Eh, I think most of them use this as an opportunity for platform trolling/warring instead of having a genuine opinion.
Console on Console warring gets you killed here.
Hopefully that's the case, would be pretty sad if don't.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Lol I think I missed that one, will look up for it.

Still probably the most popular thread I've made. Even with more outrageous threads (admittedly, like this one) being made

My prediction also for the most part came true- just instead of forced 30fps, it's 720p FSR 60fps in performance mode... which people are still plenty complaining about. Though even that will get worse when GTA6 hits the scene

Hudo

Hope that everyone who just says "lmao, just make an account bro. Don't be a bitch" also gives everyone who asks for it his personal information. Because you guys aren't bitches, right? If Nadella, Cook and Musk want to butt fuck you, just spread them cheeks. Don't be a bitch.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Running your own server and making mods are not free. They take time and money.
having the option to do that *is* free online though. Free online isn't just not paying for online access- it's also being able to play multiplayer in what way you want, how you want.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
PC has free online because there is competition not because of whining. People just laughed at paid GFWL and it died a natural death pretty quickly. People complained, but it was the lack of people signing up that killed it.

TheTony316

As someone who pretty much a PS user since kid, Playstation fans are the biggest bootlickers in the whole gaming community. These peeps would rather defend a multi billion corporation than see the image of their favorite brand getting tarnished. They will never understand the PC community. They'll just dismiss this "protest" as being whiny.

PC community:

GMtQhqGbUAAriY4

Last edited:

panda-zebra

Banned
At that point you see that it is a fully functional game that was never dependent on the network anyway, and forgot it was ever required even if you read the page fully months ago.
It's not been fully functional for everyone, there have been issues with adding, removing and maintaining friends all along (you could even get stuck with people on there you really didn't want around anymore and were unable to remove them), so if having everyone sign in to PSN finally fixes that it's better for everyone.

TheTony316

No

DRM free games or once enabled don’t need the steam client to play. Of course you need client to download but that’s it. There’s even the example of Witcher 3 which you can take the downloaded content on an USB drive and go play at your friend’s house.

Again, it’s up to devs, steam does not enforce DRM

It’s widely accepted around all DRM discussions that needing account/client to download is not really DRM. Otherwise GOG would also be DRM, consoles too.

But you lose achievements, cloud saving and steam overlay. Seriously a stupid as fuck move imo to sacrifice all these QOL features just to be a DRM purist. All legal digital content has a “DRM” of some sort depending how vague you want the definition to be. It’s tiring really to discuss this as if Steam is some sort of Denuvo or something. Let’s not even get into consoles which are oozing with DRM. There’s no DRM free on consoles, there’s no options. You think you can avoid it with physical media nowadays? If the game is even complete or just a download token on that disc? The platform holders can revoke your access to a game even if you have a physical copy and that’s it. You’re left to hack away a console to get it back.

I'm talking about Ubisoft, EA, R* games that require you to log into their launcher even when you purchase and boot the game on Steam.

Aside from those actually affected because there is no PSN availability it's just a bunch of manchildren with 500 different accounts all over the webs that are raging because Sony is somehow after their Helldivers data lol.

panda-zebra

Banned
Brace yourself, OP. You'll get a lot of haters because GAF, for some reason, loves to suck corporate dick.
Hope that everyone who just says "lmao, just make an account bro. Don't be a bitch" also gives everyone who asks for it his personal information. Because you guys aren't bitches, right? If Nadella, Cook and Musk want to butt fuck you, just spread them cheeks. Don't be a bitch.
That's my gushings of corporate cum fantasy box well and truly checked for the day, I offer a raised glass to your fertile imagination.

Milk Glass GIF

squarealex

You wanna know how PC gamers have the nice idyllic landscape they have? Where we get free online, modding, easy refunds and other stuff?

We shout.
We whine and cry like little babies when even the tiniest spec of shit gets on our lawn. Even for something as irrelevant as making an account. This same shit happened with bethesda, Ubisoft and their other launchers. This same shit happened with Steam and their attempt to force paid mods on us. The same shit happened with Microsoft and GFWL. We don't let anything ruin our experience and if a publisher doesn't budge we sink the damn game and their reputation.

Because if you give stinky corpos an inch, they take a country. First it's PS account. Then it's paid online. Then other publishers see this shit, and enforce paid online in their games too. Next thing you know we're getting fucked paying a subscription like console gamers. No thanks.

We do NOT want to let them set an example. This is why we do the shit that we do.
Deserved...

SenkiDala

PC gamers being the resistance ? Lol.

I remember when first Steam was announced. EVERY PC GAMER IN THE WORLD, said "no way, owning a game only digitally and never being able to resell it or lend it to my friends ? No way, PC GAMERS will never allow it".

And here we are. So please. PC gamers are paying hundreds (thousands) of dollars to get new colors for their virtual weapons.

So... come on.

So...............like any other zealots then.

"They'll never understand the PC community". I'm a PC user of 15 years. I'm a PlayStation user of nearly 30 years. What's to understand? What grandiose piece is being missed here? Sounds like some holier than thou nonsense.
That's exactly what it is.
This is just a badly veiled circle jerk about OP's platform of choice in order to feel superior when ultimately it doesn't matter what the fuck you play games on.

It's sad and cringey.

Three

People whining about just registering an account.
Do you give away your phone number to every business, gas station, store or super market that asks for it? If not, why not? Don't you want to the bonuses program and discounts? Don't you have a burner phone for that? It's just a phone number!
You'd have a point if steam users hadn't already created a third party account for almost all the top sellers and most played games on steam they play.

I bet you if you look at some of these users libraries you'd see the likes of Apex legends, Fallout, COD, Warframe, Rainbow six siege, SoT etc. All of which asked for EA accounts, Bethesda accounts, warframe accounts, Ubisoft accounts, or MS accounts. This specific game though is a step too far!

Last edited:

Fabieter

Yet we don't have a thread that riot is using the worst anti cheat programm ever in league of legends now. Those pc gamers are selective cry baby's.

T4keD0wN

We are far from an idyllic landscape, but you are right about one thing, complaining works, negative feedback is the one of the few things aside from not buying a product that a customer can do to get the changes that they want, plain and simple.

I dont mind making an account myself, but since i would rather not make one at all ill gladly jump on the bandwagon and support complaining, given that hd2 is already an established success theres at least a good chance that they wont want to jeopardize it and think about dropping the requirement, if successful it might even lead to other companies not wanting to risk doing the same in the future, theres nothing to lose, all of these potential changes would be positive for every customer.

People complaining about people complaining will never not be funny.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

You wanna know how PC gamers have the nice idyllic landscape they have? Where we get free online, modding, easy refunds and other stuff?

We shout.
We whine and cry like little babies when even the tiniest spec of shit gets on our lawn. Even for something as irrelevant as making an account. This same shit happened with bethesda, Ubisoft and their other launchers. This same shit happened with Steam and their attempt to force paid mods on us. The same shit happened with Microsoft and GFWL. We don't let anything ruin our experience and if a publisher doesn't budge we sink the damn game and their reputation.

Because if you give stinky corpos an inch, they take a country. First it's PS account. Then it's paid online. Then other publishers see this shit, and enforce paid online in their games too. Next thing you know we're getting fucked paying a subscription like console gamers. No thanks.

We do NOT want to let them set an example. This is why we do the shit that we do.
You shat the bed with mmo subscrptions then 😂

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Whining has nothing to do with it. PC has free online because unlike on consoles nobody owns the platform, so there'd be no way to enforce it.
That's fair! Lol sometime people simply not think at all.

Maybe steam could come up with something but that would ALIENATE the shit out of everybody.

Top Bottom