• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whining about something as little as making an account is how PC has free online.

rofif

Banned

The guy is out of the line. If I was arrowhead, I would stfu.
Like wtf is he doing?! talking shit about his company owner ?!
Sony bought the studio. Arrowhead is their employee.
No way I go and talk shit about company I work for and not get fired lol.

I agree about the 1 and only part of this - psn in countries without official psn support. We don't even know if they would enforce it there to begin with or only in psn supported countries.

Fbh

Maybe that's a small part of it.
But the biggest advantage PC has always had is that it's an open platform.
On console people complained too, but ultimately paid multiplayer was much easier to implement because it's a closed system where you can either accept what the console makers does or you simply don't buy the console, those are the 2 options.

On PC no one would dare to do so because you'd just be handing a massive competitive advantage to everyone else. Steam has no incentive to charge for multiplayer since they are the platform of choice for most players and it would be stupid to risk ruining that by being the only storefront/launcher with paid multiplayer, meanwhile everyone else already struggles to compete with Steam so charging for multiplayer while Steam is free would be suicide.

T4keD0wN

Whining has nothing to do with it. PC has free online because unlike on consoles nobody owns the platform, so there'd be no way to enforce it.
Stores are considered platforms and Steam can start enforcing it on Steam if they wanted to, same case for Epic, GoG and all the other launchers too. They likely wont because people have alternative stores to buy from. Operating systems are a little bit of a different story.

rofif

Banned
Whining for accounts instead of Whining about $2000 GPUs that were $500 a few years ago
Pc players will spend 2k$ on new useless gpu and continue complain and boycott new games instead of playing them. Or just play some gaas shit with them.
Then they are screaming for bloodborne on pc even if ps4 slim can be had for 150$ new and bloodborne is basically free.
Just a "me" example. I was(technically still am) a pc gamer and I was skipping on ps4. but one day in 2017 december, I was doing christmas shopping and totally randomly in media markt noticed 200$ ps4 slim. I said lol 200?! wtf not, let's play all these exclusives. I got ps4, wife got me bloodborne and tlg.... and I regained my gaming life back. best decision ever lol.
pc gamers who are too proud to play games because "you need to create account or get a cheap console" are just hurting themselves.

As for the root of the issue. PC is an open platform. Just refund the game and talk with your money people. But I suspect most of the complainers were not real helldivers 2 players anyway.

rofif

Banned
"rampant cheating" that only console fanboys seem to complain about. The only person i see here cheating is your wife
I admit, I am not the biggest pc online player... not even the tiniest bit but I play some warzone and battlefield 5 from time to time (well maybe last year last recently but my friend is active daily).
And even though bf5 had JUST LAST MONTH updated anti cheat after 4 years, there are Chinese cheaters in every match. No joke, dice never fixed it, like 50-75% of matches I played 1-2 years ago had people flying around, using aimbots and killing games. Friend says it's still happening.
Warzone guys on the other hand are at least actively trying but there is still a ton of cheating.

Stores are considered platforms and Steam can start enforcing it on Steam if they wanted to, same case for Epic, GoG and all the other launchers too. They likely wont because people have alternative stores to buy from. Operating systems are a little bit of a different story.
I mean, that's basically my point. Individual storefronts could introduce paid online, and individual games have (MMOs being the prime example), but there's no way to make it the default option for PC as a whole.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Definitely not a warrior post. Love PC gaming and will always prefer it, but come on man…

At this point just a bumper sticker on your car and call it a day.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Banned
You wanna know how PC gamers have the nice idyllic landscape they have? Where we get free online, modding, easy refunds and other stuff?

We shout.
We whine and cry like little babies when even the tiniest spec of shit gets on our lawn. Even for something as irrelevant as making an account. This same shit happened with bethesda, Ubisoft and their other launchers. This same shit happened with Steam and their attempt to force paid mods on us. The same shit happened with Microsoft and GFWL. We don't let anything ruin our experience and if a publisher doesn't budge we sink the damn game and their reputation.

Because if you give stinky corpos an inch, they take a country. First it's PS account. Then it's paid online. Then other publishers see this shit, and enforce paid online in their games too. Next thing you know we're getting fucked paying a subscription like console gamers. No thanks.

We do NOT want to let them set an example. This is why we do the shit that we do.
Must be new to PC gaming?

There's 100s of fucking launchers and accounts that an average pc gamer will need just to play most of the common games.

Don't even look at mmos if you think PC gamers don't "pay for online"

Three

I agree about the 1 and only part of this - psn in countries without official psn support. We don't even know if they would enforce it there to begin with or only in psn supported countries.
Sony hasn't bought the studio but yes it's clear he's doing it for game sales and reviews by throwing Playstation under the bus. He's the "community manager" so he is stuck between a rock and a hard place where he has to try and show he's on the community's side while at the same time saying things in the past that were not what they wanted to hear. Now he has to side with them because they were turning on him

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
And they'd fail, that's my point. It would take a lot for people to ditch steam, but tying multiplayer to a subscription fee would 100% do the job.
Most probably, because Windows/Linux are not a "jail". Why do you think Sony removed Linux on PS3?

Holammer

2260AHd.gif

C'mon Rotif... Arrowhead Games is an independently owned company and not publicly traded. Sony provided funding and publishing for Helldivers 2.
(MS should move in and fund development for a new Magicka for epic lulz)

rofif

Banned

Fabieter

There's 100s of fucking launchers and accounts that an average pc gamer will need just to play most of the common games.

Yes some of them like ff 14 where you just have the normal launcher open through steam. It makes more problems than the standalone launcher but there is no bitching about it.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Yes some of them like ff 14 where you just have the normal launcher open through steam. It makes more problems than the standalone launcher but there is no bitching about it.
There is and that why I use the standalone launcher.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I never said that it couldn't. There have been paid online games on PC since the 90s. I'm saying there's no way for paid online to become mandatory on PC across the entire platform like it is on Playstation and Xbox.
There is, if every launcher/store start requiring paid online.

Topher

Gold Member

100s? What are you talking about?

MMOs are not the equivalent of PS+ and Xbox Live.

Last edited:

willothedog

No they didn't. Arrowhead is independent, where did you dream that nonsense from?

rofif

Banned
No they didn't. Arrowhead is independent, where did you dream that nonsense from?
here but I admitted my mistake above

anyway. not independent if they HAVE TO add psn login lol and took sony money to make the game

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Sony doesn’t own Arrowhead, but they own Helldivers IP. Good on Arrowhead. They are innocent bystanders here who simply made a good game.

There is, if every launcher/store start requiring paid online.
There is no incentive for them to do that, though. If Steam were to do it, Epic would gain way more by not following suit and becoming the default option for free online gaming than they would by copying Valve and giving pissed Steam users zero reason to switch.

Yoda

Made the same post in the other thread. If the argument is stop whining because it's not a "big deal", than by the same logic (it being non consequential) it shouldn't be mandatory?

SHA

You pay for anticheating, experience, I could humbly discard all that for better online experience, life is too short for complains, there's alternative answer for every problem, it doesn't have to be perfect.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Banned
100s? What are you talking about?

MMOs are not the equivalent of PS+ and Xbox Live.
2k/uplay/ea origin/tarkov/ xbox / star citizen/league of legends/blizzard/arma/Gog galaxy/ffxiv/epic games... needless to say the list goes on.

And can you originally play world of warcraft without paying a month subscription? What's the difference? Sure now they give you some free levels but most mmos were subscription based only and most still are .

Last edited:

Ribi

Amen.

Meanwhile Nintendo fans "it's ok we'll pay for online that's shit and buy your first party peripherals and use voice chat in the most ass backwards way."

Xbox "it's ok Microsoft you need to pay for your servers so we'll pay for Xbox live gold because you told us to! What's that you want us to also bend over backwards and submit to Phil Spencer? Sure!"

Sony "what do you mean you can't provide free online support anymore? We have to pay like Xbox too? Ok well whatever you say Sony I'm sure you're right because I have Stockholm syndrome with you since 1999. You'd never treat me like a fool who blindly follows you."

Topher

Gold Member
2k/uplay/ea origin/tarkov/ xbox / star citizen/league of legends/blizzard/arma/ffxiv/epic games... needless to say the list goes on.

And can you originally play world of warcraft without paying a month subscription? What's the difference? Sure now they give you some free levels but most mmos were subscription based only and most still are .

Ok....I get you were being hyperbolic with the "100s". I have four or five installed myself. I'd say the vast majority of PC gamers have that or less. That's just a guess though.

You are asking what is the difference in paying a monthly fee to play an MMO and paying a monthly fee to simply be able to play online at all? Seems pretty self-explanatory.

StueyDuck

Banned
Ok....I get you were being hyperbolic with the "100s". I have four or five installed myself. I'd say the vast majority of PC gamers have that or less. That's just a guess though.

You are asking what is the difference in paying a monthly fee to play an MMO and paying a monthly fee to simply be able to play online at all? Seems pretty self-explanatory.
But they are both paying to play online... PC gamers are use to paying monthly subscriptions to play a game online.

How is a WoW sub any different than a person who subs to play fifa online on console?

The point of the OP was "this will lead to paying for online on PC" so by that you would just be paying for helldivers 2 online (it's never gonna happen by thr way) so how is that different than paying to play world of warcraft online.

Three

Made the same post in the other thread. If the argument is stop whining because it's not a "big deal", than by the same logic (it being non consequential) it shouldn't be mandatory?
The signing in isn't a big deal but that doesn't necessarily mean they dont think the reasons PS are doing it aren't.

Fabieter

Where were you guys when steam changed their flash sales to the thing steam sales Is now. You never picked that one and it made the platform so much worse

Topher

Gold Member
But they are both paying to play online... PC gamers are use to paying monthly subscriptions to play a game online.

How is a WoW sub any different than a person who subs to play fifa online on console?

The point of the OP was "this will lead to paying for online on PC" so by that you would just be paying for helldivers 2 online (it's never gonna happen by thr way) so how is that different than paying to play world of warcraft online.

MMOs are stand alone services. If you are simply saying that there is little difference between MMOs like FFXIV on consoles than on PC then sure. But typical online gaming where you just buy the game and play online does not require any additional fee on PC. It is required on console. Those are just facts.

Where were you guys when steam changed their flash sales to the thing steam sales Is now. You never picked that one and it made the platform so much worse

You left out the part where Valve created Steam keys and enabled third parties to sell games at discounts on a regular basis. Again.

Last edited:

Three

It's all nonsense hyperbole to make it seem as if not signing up to a free account is a bigger cause or avoided cost than it really is.

Steam isn't going to start charging for online all of a sudden because playstation created one more account that somehow broke the camels back when we already had account sign ups for EA, MS, Ubisoft etc for 5 years now and it hasn't happened. Same for charging for online in individual games. Bullshit fear mongering for something that's illegal to do. "What about helldivers 3 or other game, they could do it in that" they would probably cry. Well if they do then outrage and don't buy that game whenever it releases. Instead they're all about silly reaching hypotheticals of a dystopia to make it seem like only this particular trivial account sign up will hurt your wallet and change the gaming industry as you know it compared to the countless other account sign ups that have come before it.

Last edited:
Kinda looks like this thread and the recent news cycle has become "PC gamers vs PS gamers" kind of vibe. I say let the two worst warrior types go at it until it's finished. "Two men enter, one man leaves!".
Lets Get It On Fight GIF

StueyDuck

Banned
MMOs are stand alone services. If you are simply saying that there is little difference between MMOs like FFXIV on consoles than on PC then sure. But typical online gaming where you just buy the game and play online does not require any additional fee on PC. It is required on console. Those are just facts.
I mean it's simple... in order to play world of warcraft when it released especially. Did a PC gamer have to Pay a monthly subscription to play it online?

if yes, then PC gamers have paid subscriptions to play games online.

Could you load up world of warcraft. Log in and run around the world without paying a subscription first?

StueyDuck

Banned
FIFA is free on PC and WoW is not free on consoles and still can be free on private servers.
I don't know why everyone keeps moving the goal post. The point is PC gamers have paid before to play a game online.

WoW literally didn't work unless you as a PC gamer paid a subscription correct?

Top Bottom