• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/25 - 3/2

Tenbatsu

Vinnk said:
My prediction:

Yakuza 3 will beat General Knowledge Training TV and Metroid Prime 3 combined. For the first week numbers.

But GKT TV will beat out Yakuza 3 LTD.

Vinnk how is WE Playmaker? Did you get it? I remember you are very interested in it.

Vinnk

Tenbatsu said:
Vinnk how is WE Playmaker? Did you get it? I remember you are very interested in it.

Interested but very poor. I'm getting married this month and I have very little time or money left over for games. It does look great though, I wish more developers would put this much effort into their Wii titles.

apujanata

Vinnk said:
Interested but very poor. I'm getting married this month and I have very little time or money left over for games. It does look great though, I wish more developers would put this much effort into their Wii titles.

This month ? Congratulation. It seems like it is only yesterday when you propose to her. Now you can play Mario Kart Wii together with your wife, instead of your fiancee.

iidesuyo

Maybe the kids who got a DS when they were 12 are now switching to the PSP as they enter their teenage years. Going from Pokémon to Monster Hunter, so to say.

Vinnk

apujanata said:
This month ? Congratulation. It seems like it is only yesterday when you propose to her. Now you can play Mario Kart Wii together with your wife, instead of your fiancee.

Thank you. Yeah, time has gone by really fast.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
first day:

mp3 - 20k
yakuza3 - 113k

source: gamefront.de

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
iidesuyo said:
Maybe the kids who got a DS when they were 12 are now switching to the PSP as they enter their teenage years. Going from Pokémon to Monster Hunter, so to say.
they are nothing alike, so I don't understand where are you trying to get at.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Error said:
they are nothing alike, so I don't understand where are you trying to get at.

but they are still trademark game for each plattform...would make sense to play a that popular game with ur buddies if u owns the machine already.. :)

Ronok

I don't get it, what exactly is driving the PSP's sales? lol

I mean, are people just buying them as portable media players now? :-/ Ipod that plays games? :-/

I mean if we had PSP games dominating the charts it would make sense, but there are 5..... Only 1 in the top 10....

Is there something I'm not aware of when it comes to psp?

Tenbatsu

Ronok said:
I don't get it, what exactly is driving the PSP's sales? lol

I mean, are people just buying them as portable media players now? :-/ Ipod that plays games? :-/

I mean if we had PSP games dominating the charts it would make sense, but there are 5..... Only 1 in the top 10....

Is there something I'm not aware of when it comes to psp?

Its the same as the place I live, people are buying it for piracy.

gogogow

cw_sasuke said:
first day:

mp3 - 20k
yakuza3 - 113k

source: gamefront.de
Dissapointing Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan sales.
I had hoped it would do better, somewhere along the lines of 150k-200k, since the last 2 sold quite well.

DMC4 did 140k (PS3 version only) first day.

jeremy1456

Sony's new policy seems to be to release a new PSP color every week until the PSP catches up to the DS.

Good Luck Sony!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
jeremy1456 said:
Sony's new policy seems to be to release a new PSP color every week until the PSP catches up to the DS.

Good Luck Sony!

If they somehow released a cloaking device-coloured PSP (which would blend in with the surroundings showing nothing but the buttons and the screen) I would have to buy 10 of those.

Someone better get used to translate this from sinobi because I doubt I'll be here in time any week the next 4 months or so :lol

First day numbers
PS3 Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! - 113.000
WII Metroid Prime Corruption - 20.000
WII Minna no Joushiki Ryoku TV - 5.000 (very low sell through (<10%))
PS2/PS3 Guitar Hero III - 3.000 (sold out at many shops)
WII Family Jockey - 2.500

Recopilation of titles that did over 100k first day on PS3:
1&#65306;&#12300;Shin Sangoku Musou 5&#12301; 170k
2&#65306;&#12300;Devil May Cry 4&#12301; 140k
3&#65306;&#12300;Gundam Musou&#12301; 117k
4&#65306;&#12300;Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan!&#12301;113k
5&#65306;&#12300;Winning Eleven 2008&#12301; 107k
6&#65306;&#12300;Minna no Golf 5&#12301; 103k

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
WII Minna no Joushiki Ryoku TV - 5.000 (very low sell through (<10%))

To be expected, wouldn't you say? It's not the kind of title I can see tearing off the shelves on the first day, as the audience it appeals to probably aren't day-one buyers, and unlike something like Wii Fit it hasn't had the major advertising push that would draw them in on the first day.

Magicpaint said:
What was RGG2's first day figures?
190k. Yeah, if we don't see some really good legs like every other RGG release...

Cosmonaut X said:
To be expected, wouldn't you say? It's not the kind of title I can see tearing off the shelves on the first day, as the audience it appeals to probably aren't day-one buyers, and unlike something like Wii Fit it hasn't had the major advertising push that would draw them in on the first day.
Yeah, basically sinobi compares it to Big Brain Academy which sold 13k first day with a barely better sell through, but its now at >250k.

Lobster said:
Family Jockey didn't do aswell as Family Ski. Does it take use of the balance board?

No.

Yeah, basically sinobi compares it to Big Brain Academy which sold 13k first day with a barely better sell through, but its now at >250k.

That would seem to be a reasonable comparison. These kind of games - outside of the mega-casual titles like Brain Training 2 or Wii Fit - tend to start low & burn slow. I wouldn't be surprised to see 100K+ out of this particular title in a month or two.

cvxfreak

Ouch @ Common Knowledge TV. I wonder if it'll be akin to English Training 2, starting very slow compared to expectations but climbing in subsequent weeks.

iidesuyo

Stumpokapow said:
If the PSP's software numbers are explained by piracy, how are the DS software numbers not impacted?

Maybe they are? New noteworthy releases hardly sell better on the DS than on the PSP. Stuff like Star Ocean, Mosou or Winning Eleven cracks 100k easily. Note that the DS has more than twice the userbase of the PSP.

Lobster

Banned
Stormbringer said:
For reference (first week numbers) :

Metroid Prime - 39k (73k total)
Metroid Prime 2 - 17k (23k total)

Hmm..so it will be in the middle of these too.

50k total probably :\

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Lobster said:
Hmm..so it will be in the middle of these too.

50k total probably :\

Huh? It's probably going to match MP's first week.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
iidesuyo said:
Maybe they are? New noteworthy releases hardly sell better on the DS than on the PSP. Stuff like Star Ocean, Mosou or Winning Eleven cracks 100k easily. Note that the DS has more than twice the userbase of the PSP.

Do you honestly think this is the case?

DS Software is stratospheric. Literally blows everything else ever out of the water. Several companies have recorded record profits because of DS software. The DS has passed the PS2 in terms of million sellers. The DS median software number is enormous. DS software numbers literally entirely reversed an otherwise industry recession in Japan in 2006 and 2007. This is still true today. This is true of new games and existing franchises across virtually every publisher. There are 135 titles on the DS over 100k units.

PSP Software is anemic. This is not to say that nothing sells, but essentially nothing does. This is true in Japan and the US. There are 49 titles on the PSP over 100k units.

Finally, software sales of new games scale less-than-linearly with userbase growth. If title X is released on a platform with 10 million units, it should do more than 50% what it would have done on a platform with 20 million units. There are many reasons for this. Some because of library expansion and catalog sales, but also the adoption curves for hardware and consumer demographics. Did the average new title's sales double on the PS2 between 10 million hardware install base and 20 million? I doubt it even grew.

Aeris130

picsou said:
for Japan Yes .

So it's impressive enough to spur japanese developers to produce more fps's, but not so impressive that it indicates that Resistance is an exeption rather then the norm?

Top Bottom