• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

SJRB

Gold Member
iq21lKzfCsBkz.png

iiN2wcDKabWQr.png

i4jy3m0Q8vGP9.png

Developer: Eidos Montreal
Publisher: Square Enix

Release dates:
NA: February 25th, 2014
AU: February 27th, 2014
EU: February 28th, 2014

Price: $59.99/€59.99 [prices may vary depending on platform of choice]

Platforms:
Sony Playstation 4 / Microsoft Xbox One
Sony Playstation 3 / Microsoft Xbox 360
Microsoft Windows

iMczF9aRu8ozN.png

iTsy32rQcUExL.png

Thief is set in a dark fantasy world inspired by Victorian and steampunk aesthetics. Garrett, a master thief who has been away from his hometown for a long time, returns to it, a city named 'The City', and finds it ruled over by a tyrant called 'The Baron'. While The City is infested by a plague, the rich continue to live in good fortune, and Garrett intends to exploit the situation to his favor.

Gameplay is choice-driven, with players having a number of possible paths and approaches in a given level. Players may use the environment to their advantage, as well as pickpocket characters. As Garrett attempts to steal in levels, guards and other non-player characters (if they are aware of his presence) will try to flush him out and kill him. Different NPCs may use different means to find him, and the game's artificial intelligence will be aware of the level design, and therefore, know of potential hiding spots. Players may enter a "Focus" mode, which provides several advantages. It enhances Garrett's vision, highlighting pipes that can be climbed, or candles that can be put out to make the area darker. Focus can also slow down time, so that Garrett is able to steal more effectively while pickpocketing. Garrett can also use Focus to push enemies or perform debilitating attacks. It can be further upgraded over the course of the game. Note that Focus mode is not a mandatory gameplay mechanic and can be disabled.

Thief features an extremely in-depth custom difficulty setting that allows you to create the Thief experience you prefer. For more information on this, check the video in the Media section further down or check out this exellent summary by DieH@rd / Sn4ke_911.

iE6efOP1dI1Bm.png

i0azA4Tt5ezJG.png

As a child, Garrett was recruited into the Keepers but later left the organization, went into business for himself as a thief, and now uses his Keeper skills to steal from the rich and give to himself.
In Thief: Deadly Shadows a large scar runs down one side of his face, the result of Viktoria plucking out one of his eyes in Thief: The Dark Project. During the second and third games Garrett sees with a mechanical eye, a piece of Mechanist technology given to him by the Hammerites at the end of The Dark Project. The mechanical eye incorporates a zoom lens.

in8LQ9u7aw5sC.png

i2ISjK36cPygt.png

Bow - Perhaps the most vital asset in Garret's arsenal. It folds down for easier movement
Arrows - Because without arrows the bow is useless. Arrows come with various attachments, such as water arrows and rope arrows
Blackjack - A knock on the head puts any guard to sleep long enough for you to steal his money, underwear and anything he's guarding
Claw - Essential tool to scale walls and rooftops

ibwvwOJRvBgPkL.png

Trailers
Thief 101 - Everything you need to know
In-depth look at the custom difficulty settings in Thief
Stories from The City
Gameplay trailer
Launch trailer

ixK3XruYjuXMV.png

inPYhU2Lq7vCz.png

Click here for the dedicated review thread

iARfTuSf1rs4r.png

ibzkbdmZQjeCdn.png

Question: this game does not look exactly like the game I played back in '98, will I still enjoy it?
Answer: Maybe you will, but please don't drive-by post in this thread that this game is bad because it's not the game it was 16 years ago. Check the custom difficulty setting video and see if the options available are interesting to you

Question: what can you tell me about the resolution and/or framerate?
Answer: Xbox One runs at 900p and 30 fps, the Playstation 4 version runs at 1080p and 30fps. No info on PS360 versions yet [will add when available]. Discussion about the resolution is ongoing in this thread.

Question: Isn't stealing like, against the law?
Answer: Stealing from people is totally okay, but only if they're decadently wealthy while poor people are perishing in the streets of hunger and plague

Question: What if I spot errors in this post, or want to see something added?
Answer: Please send me a PM and I'll try and fix and/or add it as soon as possible

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Great OT, let's do this...
if the reviews are good.

Anung

Un Rama
I have faith that the Human Revolution team can work their magic here. But I think I'll wait for word of mouth and some reviews before taking the plunge. Even though I'd like something to kill the time until March Madness.

ZoddGutts

I have faith that the Human Revolution team can work their magic here. But I think I'll wait for word of mouth and some reviews before taking the plunge. Even though I'd like something to kill the time until March Madness.

Pretty sure this is by a different team at Edios Montreal.

Sn4ke_911

Hide yo wife, hide yo kids, cuz we got a consolized AAA cinematic experience passin QTEs, objective markers, and xray vision up all around here

Thanks to DieH@rd.

Display Options
blog_customui_small.jpg

Each of these can be turned on or off individually based on your preferences:
* Navigation prompts
* Interaction prompts
* Waypoint markers
* Threat icons
* Threat health meters
* Mini-map
* Mini-map rotation
* Reticle feedback
* Journal updates
* Pick-up notifiers
* Light gem
* Object highlight
* Loot glint
* Lockpick helper
* Frame search helper
* Garrett narrated hints
* Health meter (on, off, or fade over time)
* Focus meter (on, off, or fade over time)
* Ammo counter (on, off, or fade over time)
UI_Alarm.gif

UI_Loot.gif

Custom Difficulty Settings
blog_customdiff_small.jpg

You can create your own custom difficulty level by toggling on any (or all!) of the following mods:
Base difficulty: easy, normal or hard

Classic Thief Mods
* Chapter Save Only: manual saves and checkpoint auto-saves are disabled.
* No Focus: the use of Focus is completely disabled and no Focus Points are earned.
* Stealth Takedowns Only: you cannot perform combat Takedowns and Takedowns from above.
* No Reticle: no aiming reticle is displayed when drawing the bow.

Legendary Thief Mods
* Specialty Arrows Only: only Blunt, Water, Fire and Rope Arrows are available.
* No Resources: food (health) and poppy flowers (Focus) are not consumable.
* It Hurts Not: if you take any damage, the mission is failed.
* Expensive Tools: the cost of arrows, tools, food and poppies is greatly increased.
* Slowed Movement: running and walking speeds are reduced.

Ultimate Thief Mods
* Iron Man: if you die or fail a mission, you lose your game and must restart from the beginning.
* No Upgrades: non-critical upgrades are disabled.
* No Kills or Knockouts: if a human or animal is killed or stunned, the mission is failed.
* No Alerts: if a human or animal detects you, the mission is failed.

PC version [made by Nixxes] also has TrueAudio [precise audio positioning of every sound source], Mantle rendering path, native 3D rendering, support for Eyefinity and glorious FOV slider.

hoss

Great OT. Gonna be picking this up next week for PS4.

Hide yo wife, hide yo kids, cuz we got a consolized AAA cinematic experience passin QTEs, objective markers, and xray vision up all around here

The first reply is such a sacred thing, and you sir have defiled it.

Xander51

I think this game looks really cool, and I'll be downloading it day one on my Xbox One.

I respected the old Thief games, but never got totally immersed in them. Looking forward to diving deep into this one.

Sn4ke_911

aranth

Moderately hyped for this game. The PC version was only 25€ to preorder so it won't be a great loss if it turns out to be a stinker. I'm certainly more interested in checking out the Mantle renderer and how it performs against Direct3D to be honest (Battlefield 4 had some moderate gains, but with DICE screwups it's hard to ascertain).

Deadbeat

Banned
Pretty sure it's from the same guys?
Same studio, not the same team. Theres multiple teams in a studio sometimes. Theres been many departures of developers in that team as well due to upper management meddling.

Maybe this game will be a surprise like HR. Maybe all the interviews were just a diversion to hide the truth from Square and its focus testers. Most likely not but hey people have won the lottery twice in a row. Will be renting on 360.

Epcott

Oh my! Customizable UI? I wouldn't dare, yet... I'm tempted. So many deaths, failures, and longer playtime would await.

Speaking of which, anyone comment on completion time yet?

Leb

It's been a long time since I've been this certain that a game will be awful while simultaneously hoping against hope that I'm totally wrong.

The late embargo isn't helping anything, either...

DukeBobby

My expectations are rather low, but I hope it's decent.

I only paid £15 for it, so I won't feel too ripped off if it's terrible.

Dawg

More or less what I expected. I'll probably end up adding 2 more hours on the harder difficulty with the classic Thief mods turned on.

Did you do all the side-quests?

No, focused on the story mostly. Side-stuff is for my second playthrough.

I did play 'stealthily' though, I'm pretty sure you can complete this game a lot faster if you don't give a shit about stealth.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Hopefully this ends up great. Some of the previews were bringing up lots of valid complaints, that I know could be devastating to my enjoyment of the game (like the world feeling empty and dead, and NPCs that you literally walk through and that can't even look at you). We'll see if that affect journos's final take on the game or not. Can't wait for reviews in any case. Should be a "good" game at the very least.

dreamfall

Beautiful OT.

I don't think I'm jumping in early as I don't know much about Thief, but I'm excited to hear how it stacks up as a stealth game. Also, the fact that the Deus Ex:HR team developed has me cautiously optimistic!

Pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood.

While all that customizable difficulty via UI stuff is nice, all that stuff still affects a games design, whether turned on or off.

Pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood.

Top Bottom