• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - McConaughey/Harrelson crime series - S2 starts June 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.
Content Round Up - Episode 6 - Haunted Houses

5XpwUXk.jpg

Reviews:
Videos:
Other:
- NY Mag interview: True Detective’s Michelle Monaghan on Maggie’s Big Moment and Connecting With Cohle
- Emily Nussbaum on TD for The New Yorker
- YahooTV: 'True Detective' Star Michelle Monaghan on Maggie's Predatory Turn and the Show's 'Shocking,' 'Disturbing' Resolution
- Slate: The Horrible Things That Men Do to Women - Yes, True Detective treats its female characters badly. That's the point.
- Music listings
- Alyssa Rosenberg: Why Men Should Want ‘True Detective’ To Have Great, Nuanced Female Characters
- Molly Lambert for Grantland: Her Looming Shadow Grows: The Complex Women of ‘True Detective’
- Maureen Ryan: 'True Detective,' Flat Circles And The Eternal Search For Meaning
- LA Times: Music and 'True Detective': A playlist of grim songs score HBO drama (includes a Spotify playlist with most of the music)
- Salon: “True Detective” vs. film noir
- Grantland's Hollywood Prospectus Podcast talks True Detective this week, among other things. Keep in mind that Andy Greenwald isn't a huge fan of the show.
- Fukunaga confirmed to not be coming back for season 2
- HBO’s ‘True Detective’ Uncovers Series High On Sunday
- Youtube playlist with almost all of the music from TD via io9
- ScreenCrush: ‘True Detective’ and Women: Does the Hit HBO Show Have a Problem With Female Characters?
- Vanity Fair: True Detective’s Grisly Murders, Rejected Hairstyles, and Big Hug Mug Backstory, from Director Cary Fukunaga
- Lengthy interview with The Daily Beast: True Detective Director Cary Fukunaga’s Journey from Pro Snowboarder to Hollywood’s Most Wanted
- HBO: Interview With Michelle Monaghan

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Cornballer, do you have like an alert that tells you when threads are about to hit the next page? You're a machine.

Salvadora

That is a hell of a catch and I have no idea what it could even imply. I love this damn show.
I have an idea, but I'll put it in spoilers because it was partly influenced by next weeks preview.

Marty's eldest daughter was sexually abused and spent some time in the mental hospital, drawing that picture.

Dennis

Banned
Cornballer, do you have like an alert that tells you when threads are about to hit the next page? You're a machine.

He is a mod. He just deletes whatever post happens to be the first on the new page and substitutes his own.

Some may call this abuse of power but I say ALL HAIL THE RED KING

I have an idea, but I'll put it in spoilers because it was partly influenced by next weeks preview.

Marty's eldest daughter was sexually abused and spent some time in the mental hospital, drawing that picture.

I would have to think they'd mention that already, if that was the case.
The pic is in their bedroom in 1995, and Rust visits the hospital in 2002, when she is a teen.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is there any significance to the book this girl was reading (can't make out the title)? Did I miss any discussion on it?

Look at the wallpaper. Then look at the pictures in Marty's bedroom.

Kadayi

Banned
Strange, innit.

Finds for sure.

BTW anyone manage to find out the title of that book the girls reading in the psych ward?

Also was the corridor of young girls Rust had to walk back through there not like some gauntlet of judgement and failure at him not catching all of the killers?

You're in Carcosa now, with me. He sees you.

^Bets on that being the final line as Rust lets Marty into the macabre madness that is his storage lock up and proceeds to slit his throat laughing manically whilst the putrid remains of Rev Tuttle on a throne look on *cuts to black*

Also as we're back to partners for season two how about Michael Pitt & Jack Huston. They were ace in Boardwalk.

Kadayi

Banned
I'm not sure on the significance, because I've absolutely no idea what the book is about, but I'm pretty sure that this is the book: "The Pioneer: African Adventure of Benedict Falda"

The name is more visible as Rust walks past (you can make out "The Pioneer" and the cover is quite distinctive):

Sign of the Yellow King for you sir.

Now to spend ages finding out about this book....because it must mean something...just like the big hug mug must .....:D

Caught this from another forum. Wow this show inserts a lot of fucking detail in the background. It's like Lost if it were subtle.

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/506626/true-detective-hbo-tv-series/p9

That yearbook photo they found has a lot of the women in the show in it, including the baby killer. Got it from that link someone posted in here

pPijKI7.jpg

9cT5u67.jpg

roV5re7.jpg

mwAUeFv.jpg

um0y4jN.png

Kame said:
I don't know of the best way to take screencaps but after watching the ep. 6 scene when Cohle visits Kelly in the mental hospital, the painted drawing on the wall in the hospital (go to the 25:20 mark) is the same drawing that is framed right above Marty's side of the bed in his and Maggie's bedroom. The drawing in their bedroom can be seen in episode 3 at the 28:20 mark. A few notes/questions about this connection:

1) I thought it was strange to have such a "crude" mural on the hospital wall, but if it was drawn by one of the Hart daughters, then that explains what makes it special 2) Does this mean that Maggie and her family are behind part of the "Wellspring" that provides the cult with victims or keeps victims quiet? 3) The only patients I saw at that hospital were girls ~10-16 years old 4) Perhaps Maggie's family contributes money to the hospital or serves as a primary benefactor in exchange for access to the patients? 5) This could be another symbol of foreshadowing that one of Hart's daughters ends up in a similar situation/place as Kelly

Overall, recent developments with Maggie's character, as well as careful attention to her dialogue in previous episodes does lead me to think that she's a much bigger part of all of this.

cvRO1FF.png

LRZmsmg.png1

5ZpNovt.png

Add the spiral in the kid's bedroom and the sexualised drawings... I think we'e in for a great ending.

You know how we refer to contemporary movie directors as "students of film"? To me, it seems as if the creators of True Detective are "students of television". Specifically the first "golden age" of television, with the Sopranos, The Wire, Lost, 24, Breaking Bad etc. These are guys who grew up on those shows, added a lot of film expertise and came up with a refinement of constructing a tv show. I see elements from all areas being used in the show just enough to tell the story. Like the taillight show at the end, it's used just once to illustrate a point rather than using the mounted camera all the time like Breaking Bad.

I want to see how well they plan out future seasons, but right now, I haven't seen such deft foreshadowing and construction since the Wire.

AkuMifune

Banned
Caught this from another forum. Wow this show inserts a lot of fucking detail in the background. It's like Lost if it were subtle.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ledoux or lawnmower guy are in the back row there. Obviously Wellspring messed up a whole generation of kids, it just remains to be seen how much.

Tuttle has whip scars and is into S&M. God it's only Wednesday.

I agree, I did exagerate, not the whole episode was action focused, but I didnt like the whole biker trip in general, it felt out of place. and I dont agree that cohles undercover skills needed to be shown, I think not everything needs to be shown, a lot can and should be left to the imagination, and I thought thats something true detectice shared with me.
the 7 minute shot was impressive but I couldnt help to think "wow, now they need to show us what a badass cop cohle is?" the whole time.
what makes it worse is that its actually a completely unneccessary story arc that has pretty much nothing to do with the case. it just didnt fit and felt forced, its the one odd episode in the season.
I disagree. If it's true that Cohle went investigating this Yellow King cult for 10 years, you need to show that this person is crazy, competent and determined enough to do it.

Rust spoke before about his 4 year stint as an undercover narc in hellholes. You needed to buy that first. After that scene showed that indeed he could, it cements the idea that this man indeed in the one crazy motherfucker to bring down a huge organization by himself. If he can pull off that shit for 4 years, he can handle a molesting satanic cult for 10.

I think every episode had been providing additional pieces of justification for Hart and Cohle presumably teaming up the final episodes: why Cohle would do this crazy lone wolf plan and why Hart would even follow him there. The escape from the projects, Hart in the bunny ranch, Cohle backing up Mart in a heartbeat when he shot Reggie, all of these are critical scenes that establish the motivations of the two main characters going into the endgame.

jvm

Gamasutra.
You know how we refer to contemporary movie directors as "students of film"? To me, it seems as if the creators of True Detective are "students of television". Specifically the first "golden age" of television, with the Sopranos, The Wire, Lost, 24, Breaking Bad etc. These are guys who grew up on those shows, added a lot of film expertise and came up with a refinement of constructing a tv show. I see elements from all areas being used in the show just enough to tell the story. Like the taillight show at the end, it's used just once to illustrate a point rather than using the mounted camera all the time like Breaking Bad.

I want to see how well they plan out future seasons, but right now, I haven't seen such deft foreshadowing and construction since the Wire.
I just wanted to highlight what a delightful observation this is. Thank you.

Someday someone will write an overarching history of TV that connects the dots in the growth of the medium of storytelling on TV from the early days through the present, and it will be magnificent. I feel like it's been on a positive trajectory for years (most reality television excepted).

I just wanted to highlight what a delightful observation this is. Thank you.

Someday someone will write an overarching history of TV that connects the dots in the growth of the medium of storytelling on TV from the early days through the present, and it will be magnificent. I feel like it's been on a positive trajectory for years (most reality television excepted).
Thanks. I've actually been fantasizing over the last few years of creating a television show, and I watch all these shows for what they do best (and worst).

Last year I was almost convinced we'd gone past the peak and wouldn't see great shows for years, but then Hannibal, True Detective and even Attack On Titan reinspired me. There's always progress to be made.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like I will have to go back and rematch every episode to catch on the minute detail, right?

Please tell us how many drinks Rust takes to finish each of his beers, should be a clue in there.

I also need to know the ratio of yellow clothing to all others.

Edit: Somebody find out which page she's on, and figure out exactly which sentence she's reading. What are you waiting for!!?!?!?

kmax

young-man-browsing-internet-home-smiling-27995006.jpg

I'm sure this is Pizzolatto when he's home browsing through all the crazy theories we come up with. It's great fun though. This is what it's all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom