• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: It May Take Months To Replace You BC PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosma

Banned
When the BC-less 40GB model was announced some of the Gaf community wondered what would happen to their BC models when they broke.

Well the future is now.

1.5 month ago I sent in my 60GB PS3 to repair (Europe), now that I've called with Sony what's taking them so long all I heard on the phone was:
"Sorry we don't have any stock of the 60GB left and we don't know when a shipment will arrive to replace your unit. Call back in 2/4 weeks for an update."

By that time my PS3 will be gone 2/2.5 months, with no dates as to when I will have one back home. So fellow BC PS3 owners, pray that your unit won't die, because if it does, you may be console less for a couple of months.

GTA4? Maybe not for me.

M3wThr33 said:
I kinda feel tempted to buy a second 60GB as a backup...

I'm getting the MGS4 bundle for a backup, that and I'm MGS fanboy.

That blows dude. Are they repairing yours or just trying to find a replacement? What exactly went wrong with your PS3?

Paracelsus

Does anybody know how long it takes for them to repair the 80 gb? I might as well trade my 60 PAL for an 80 NTSC before MGS4 comes. ._.

Roxas

Kosma, do you have "Continous Play"? They promise to have a new (same as your original console) PS3 at your doorstop in 2 days.

Oh, and very misleading title by the way.

NIghtWolf

I dont get it, unless the mobo was damaged how is goin to take months for them to change the PSU/BD-Drive or anything else that is not the mobo. The more commonly parts that gets damaged is the psu and BD. Unless they send a new one...perhaps maybe they send you an 80GB one like some guy I know.

Evander

"industry expert"
Where's the spin about how this is actually a great thing?

Flek said:
but you get a free sony published game for the waiting (afaik) - ask for it!

Ah, there we go! A free game to play on the system that you have to sit around 3 months waiting for.

Mojovonio

Banned
Choke on the Magic said:
If it does you should just quit console gaming.:lol

Uh, ok?

Hcoregamer00 said:
All consoles die one day, it depends on how much you use it in the time it was alive.

If it dies in 3 years fine, warranty is over anyways.

If it dies next month, I won't be happy.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
A guy from germany my brother knows send in his 60 gig, he got a 40 gig back 2months later, but with GT5P And Warhawk as an apology for not getting a 60gig i think.

(im not worried at all since i replaced my hdd with a 250 gig and have a ps2, but i can see how this would worry some people).

Lightning

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
All consoles die one day, it depends on how much you use it in the time it was alive.
Until yours dies the day before Valkyrie Chronicles or White Knight Chronicles release and then words will not be able to describe how much Sony suck. :lol

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
That's fucking horrible. Sony themselves didn't keep a little stock of BC models to replace the small number that fail? Sorry man, that sucks.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This is a weird situation for PAL territories. You can still get your BC models replaced within a week in the US.

Kosma

Banned
Flek said:
but you get a free sony published game for the waiting (afaik) - ask for it!

Maybe they can send it to me right now so I can spin it on my finger.

Y2Kev said:
Aren't you in Europe, Kosma? How do you have a 60 gb PS3?

Yeah I'm from Europe. We had the 60GB here.

Tiduz said:
A guy from germany my brother knows send in his 60 gig, he got a 40 gig back 2months later, but with GT5P And Warhawk as an apology for not getting a 60gig i think.

(im not worried at all since i replaced my hdd with a 250 gig and have a ps2, but i can see how this would worry some people).

How is that a recompensation for not having BC?

Vish

Banned
Evander said:

Ah, there we go! A free game to play on the system that you have to sit around 3 months waiting for.

And of course he's just informing the guy...right?

Guy Legend

Well that sucks, though I might emphasize that it's Europe. We're getting the 80gb system back in the US, so I'm not worried here (unless you have a 60gb system, then you may be a little concerned). There have been rumors of the 80gb system coming to Europe (UK) by the end of the summer. Hopefully that is indeed the case.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Hcoregamer00 said:

my original saturn is still the only console I've had die on me, and that was around 6 years old.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
oo Kosma oo said:
Maybe they can send it to me right now so I can spin it on my finger.

Yeah I'm from Europe. We had the 60GB here.

Really? I thought Sony launched with nerfed bc-only units in Europe. And Sony is having issues replacing the nerfed bc units?

Loudninja

Evander said:

Stop trying to start crap.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Ugh, that hurts.

2 months and still no replacement, speak to supervisor to atleast accommodate your lost?

MoogPaul

Tiduz said:

doesn't really seem like an apology considering the 60g most likely costed more than the 40g

Kittonwy

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
When the BC-less 40GB model was announced some of the Gaf community wondered what would happen to their BC models when they broke.

Well the future is now.

1.5 month ago I sent in my 60GB PS3 to repair (Europe), now that I've called with Sony what's taking them so long all I heard on the phone was:

By that time my PS3 will be gone 2/2.5 months, with no dates as to when I will have one back home. So fellow BC PS3 owners, pray that your unit won't die, because if it does, you may be console less for a couple of months.

GTA4? Maybe not for me.

Sorry to hear that, did you ask them for an 80GB instead?
Indifferent2.gif

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
You should call them back and be angry. I'd be super upset if I had to wait two months for my system to come back... especially when Sony's turnaround time in other territories is faster.

Narag

MoogPaul said:
doesn't really seem like an apology considering the 60g most likely costed more than the 40g
Loss of BC too. Might as well ship a PS3 and then a PS2 on top of it as an apology.

Roxas

Choke on the Magic said:
What is this exactly?

Its just an extended warranty. £4.99 a month for the PS3. (You can also do it for Ps2 and PSP for £2.49 a month.) They promise to send out a brand new PS3 (60GB if you have it) whether the console is broken by accident or if it develops a fault, and it will be with you in 2 working days.

Kosma

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Really? I thought Sony launched with nerfed bc-only units in Europe. And Sony is having issues replacing the nerfed bc units?

Yeah these are the EE less BC units, which are inferior to the US BC units. Doesn't matter in the end, because there aren't any to send to me.

Kittonwy said:
Sorry to hear that, did you ask them for an 80GB instead?
Indifferent2.gif

I asked if they could send me anything else with BC, even a 80GB (from Korea, US or whatever) which I would gladly pay extra for. They said it's not possible.

sinnergy

Choke on the Magic said:
Except those don't exist.

O yeah, I meant regular 40 one, so that they can still game.

Anyway. My 60 Gig broke down last September, way before the new sku's so I got a 60 Gb back.

Nizz

besada said:
Sends a chill down my spine.
Yeah. I can't even think of not being able to game for months. A PS3 is all I own, I traded in my old PS2 for credit. I really love my 60g with b/c that I can be 100% confident with. And the convenience of having all in one is important to me. But this news right here has me downright nervous. If they're not able to get you a 60g back, can they at least get you an 80g with b/c?

i bought my 60GB BS PS3 from Asia and i live in the UK, so i hope to god that mine doesn't break anytime soon. BC PS3s are a rarity nowadays, if you find one in a shop make sure to buy one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom