• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: It May Take Months To Replace You BC PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffey

Capsule Gang said:
man... i just bought a refurbished gamestop 60gig too... >prays<
I got mine through them and it was overheating and now that I've sent it back to Sony I got this message from their repair site:

Due to high demand, your unit is currently on backorder. The quoted turn-around-time for product exchange through our PlayStation(R) Exchange Center (PEC) is approximately 7-15 business days from the time we receive your unit, not including shipping and handling time. Due to the current backlog the turn-around-time may exceed the quoted 7-15 business days. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.

Hell yeah. D:

Mashing

a Master Ninja said:
When a broken 60GB comes back at my store, it is a huge headache. Anybody who bought the "Product Replacement Plan" on their 60GB can either get a 40GB or store credit back, but they are basically SOL if they want their 60GB repaired or replaced with a new one. Thankfully only a few 60GBs have come back, but when they do it's an ordeal.

No offense, but I'd probalby tell you to eat a dick if you try to give me a 40GB in replacement. I'd take the money and go shop somewhere else.

MoxManiac

Actually, I think I figured it out - twofold, you're in europe right? If I remember correctly, europe's 60gbs are partial BC like the 80gbs, as opposed to full hardware BC like JP/NA's 60gbs. That's probably why.

Mashing said:
No offense, but I'd probalby tell you to eat a dick if you try to give me a 40GB in replacement. I'd take the money and go shop somewhere else.
Good luck using that Best Buy store credit at another business...

Also, if they choose to get a 40GB replacement they still get the $200 difference in store credit.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i'm not buying another current-gen console. if my ps3 dies, i'm waiting until next-gen or until its dirt cheap

hopefully there'll be a BC PS4.

Haunted

AltogetherAndrews said:
That's some serious bullshit right there.

Really sucks for the OP. :/

Felix Lighter said:
I think I remember him mentioning that he already Jumped In, had a console die, then Jumped Out. After that he started Living or Playing Beyond or what ever but then this happened.
In that case, I think I know two guys who would like to play.

twofold

MoxManiac said:
Actually, I think I figured it out - twofold, you're in europe right? If I remember correctly, europe's 60gbs are partial BC like the 80gbs, as opposed to full hardware BC like JP/NA's 60gbs. That's probably why.

Yeah. Apologies if I didn't make that clear enough. We never had the choice of buying a PS3 with PS2 parts inside over here sadly. =\

twofold said:
MGS crashes every 15 odd minutes. The system locks up and stops working.

I haven't actually tried DMC3 specifically, but I did start another playthrough of DMC3:SE prior to DMC4s release on my 60gb. I was playing as Vergil - all going well until I hit Mission 18 where you have to fight all the bosses again. The problem? Only two of the bossfights load. The rest refuse to start, meaning it's not possible to pass the mission. I got pretty frustrated and started a playthrough as Dante. Got to Mission 18 - same thing again.

Interestingly, according to Sony's BC Games site, DMC3 and DMC3:SE have no known issues, which isn't the case at all (I'd like to note, I did try to e-mail Sony about the DMC3:SE issue - no reply to any of my e-mails). MGS3 isn't even listed on the BC site, but subsistence apparently has "noticable issues".

So not cool.
weren't those games fixed on the 60gb?

oneHeero

Here in US, a friend of mine just got his PS3 back 1 week ago, I guess he got lucky, he got his 60gb still with no problems. It was gone for like 1-2months.

oneHeero said:
Here in US, a friend of mine just got his PS3 back 1 week ago, I guess he got lucky, he got his 60gb still with no problems. It was gone for like 1-2months.

That's lousy. Last spring a friend of mine had his 60GB die and did the whole replacement thing with the coffin in less than two weeks total.

ibu

twofold said:
MGS crashes every 15 odd minutes. The system locks up and stops working.

I haven't actually tried DMC3 specifically, but I did start another playthrough of DMC3:SE prior to DMC4s release on my 60gb. I was playing as Vergil - all going well until I hit Mission 18 where you have to fight all the bosses again. The problem? Only two of the bossfights load. The rest refuse to start, meaning it's not possible to pass the mission. I got pretty frustrated and started a playthrough as Dante. Got to Mission 18 - same thing again.

Interestingly, according to Sony's BC Games site, DMC3 and DMC3:SE have no known issues, which isn't the case at all (I'd like to note, I did try to e-mail Sony about the DMC3:SE issue - no reply to any of my e-mails). MGS3 isn't even listed on the BC site, but subsistence apparently has "noticable issues".

So not cool.

Worked fine on my console... no problems... and had not one game lock up yet.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
-Rogue5- said:
Can't you at least demand an 80gig? 60 with full BC to 40gig no PS2-bc is complete horseshit.

I always thought the policy was 1:1. When I sent off my Wii, I got the same one back.

jvalioli

I also had 0 problems with DMC3:SE and I played mission 18 too. MGS3 is supposed to have slight problems during cut scenes but no gameplay problems and no crashes that make it impossible to complete.

Narag

jvalioli said:
I also had 0 problems with DMC3:SE and I played mission 18 too. MGS3 is supposed to have slight problems during cut scenes but no gameplay problems and no crashes that make it impossible to complete.

Which model do you have?

el Diablo

Banned
BoilersFan23 said:
People complained about the PS3 being too expensive, and releasing a PS3 with PS2 BC just isn't technically possible to release cheap; therefore, it was removed. If people didn't complain so much about price (which Sony took a big hit in with the PS2 BC models), we wouldn't be here now.

I didn't complain i paid the fricking $599 lol. The fact that there's no longer a fully BC model really bugs me, for all the sku's Sony releases they really should have a premium one for those of us who ARE willing to spend the money. I'd gladly pay the premium for a fully BC PS3 just like the US 60GB should (scratch that, when) my 60 ever dies.

Mau ®

Theres a 60GB unit at my local Blockbuster for almost $900. Not as crazy as me thinking about actually buying it.

But Im pretty OK with the 80GB BC. Not a single problem, that I can notice.

twofold

I'd like to re-iterate that the backwards compatability problems I have had have been with the European 60gb w/ software emulation.

The problems I've had are hardly isolated too. There are posts on rllmuk and eurogamer about the same issues I've had.

I really wish I had a way of capturing the dmc3se 'bug'. It's so bizarre.

Edit - Just tried dmc3se. Looks like that got fixed in one of the firmware patches. Yay!

Edit #2 - 10 or so minutes in to MGS3, it gets stuck at a codec conversation and won't progress any further. Guess they didn't fix that one yet.

Kosma

Banned
twofold said:
I'd like to re-iterate that the backwards compatability problems I have had have been with the European 60gb w/ software emulation.

Only problems I've heard of is slowdown in some games.

MrTroubleMaker said:
I have an original 20GB for a "backup"

wow, I feel bad that you don't have your system back, I hope you'll get it soon :)

All of the trolls downplay the 360's sales because they accuse every Xbox owner of buying an extra console to replace their RROD unit. How come nobody is saying the same of the PS3 even after multiple people in this thread have admitted to owning an extra PS3 as "backup"?

Narag

FirstInHell said:
All of the trolls downplay the 360's sales because they accuse every Xbox owner of buying an extra console to replace their RROD unit. How come nobody is saying the same of the PS3 even after multiple people in this thread have admitted to owing an extra PS3 as "backup"?

Because people are taking the high road or just don't care? Its their money, they'll spend it how they want, and there's no reason to start a battle here.

Wollan

They should just give you a choice of having a 40GB + 2x games quickly or wait that longer time for a working BC unit.

I don't know what I would do without my 60GB PS3. I play more PS2 games than anything else, and they look soooooooooo good on it! Worst decision in the history of all decisions to remove BC.

NolbertoS

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I don't know what I would do without my 60GB PS3. I play more PS2 games than anything else, and they look soooooooooo good on it! Worst decision in the history of all decisions to remove BC.

Ditto for me too. I have the BB Replacement plan, but if for some magical reason, my 60GB PS3 doesn't work *knock on wood* than I'll demand that BB reimburse me a full refund or give me an 80GB with 2 free games, as I expect to have my identical 60GB back, even if they themselves have to ship my 60GB to Sony's HQ.

Speevy

Banned
Well, PS3s generally don't die, but it is absolutely retarded that there isn't a BC one in circulation right now.

duffey said:
I got mine through them and it was overheating and now that I've sent it back to Sony I got this message from their repair site:

Due to high demand, your unit is currently on backorder. The quoted turn-around-time for product exchange through our PlayStation(R) Exchange Center (PEC) is approximately 7-15 business days from the time we receive your unit, not including shipping and handling time. Due to the current backlog the turn-around-time may exceed the quoted 7-15 business days. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.

Hell yeah. D:

Man, that fucking sucks... hopefully my good luck will carry on as I've had a launch PS2 as well as a launch 360 that so far have never died... Actually the only system that ever died on me was my imported N64!

Mr. Bunnies said:
Any retailers still sell the 60gig version?

i've been looking the last couple of weeks with no luck. Even the gamestop's near me don't have any used/refurbs to sell. I badly want one with BC as i want to catch up on some PS2 backlog. At this point i think i'll just wait until the MGS4 bundle and deal with the limited BC. At least its something.

Master

Banned
Is this the thread where the Xbox fanboys finally get to stealth troll in retaliation with their own flavor of:

"I'm afraid to play my 60GB because I'm afraid it will die" ?

Because I can toss some popcorn in the microwave if the show is about to start.

YagizY said:
We should all get backups, at $400 who can afford not to get one!
heavyweaponsguy2.gif

Master said:
Is this the thread where the Xbox fanboys finally get to stealth troll in retaliation with their own flavor of:

"I'm afraid to play my 60GB because I'm afraid it will die" ?

Because I can toss some popcorn in the microwave if the show is about to start.

Quite the demagogue, are you not?

The only advice I can give the OP is to call Sony and tell them that you either want a clear perspective of when your console will be repaired and sent back to you or your money back.
It is not acceptable at all that it takes 10, 12 or even more weeks for a freaking console to get repaired. You have rights.

I'm really hoping my harebrained scheme of software based PS2 emulation via some wonky virtual PS2 inside of your Home™ living space is true.

I expected this.

Just begs the question, why in the Hell can't Sony just fix your unit? :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom