• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: It May Take Months To Replace You BC PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
oo Kosma oo said:
Maybe they can send it to me right now so I can spin it on my finger.

Yeah I'm from Europe. We had the 60GB here.

How is that a recompensation for not having BC?

yeah i know what you mean, but i dont think theres anything he can do about it.

sinnergy said:
Sony should just loan those users a 40 BC until they get their BC one back.
Or a 40GB PS3 + a PS2 Slim... at least that way the owner retains all their old functionality, even if it is patchwork now... it'd cost the same, too...

Hopefully I will never have to find out, but if my 20GB (now 120GB) dies, and they try to replace it with a BC-less 40 or gimped-BC 80 I will have to get very ugly with them.

Tarin02543

I have a PAL 60gb and this worries me too. It looks to me like Sony wants to ignore the whole BC issue although most of my ps2 games work just fine. I don't see my system dying anytime soon though, it's in a well ventilated and cool place and I do not overstress it with folding@home.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Lightning said:
Until yours dies the day before Valkyrie Chronicles or White Knight Chronicles release and then words will not be able to describe how much Sony suck. :lol

Yeah, but considering my course load for this quarter and the next will be insane, my PS3 wont be on as frequently as it used to be.

My PS3 should last until Valkyria Chronicles :D

Kittonwy

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
Yeah these are the EE less BC units, which are inferior to the US BC units. Doesn't matter in the end, because there aren't any to send to me.

I asked if they could send me anything else with BC, even a 80GB (from Korea, US or whatever) which I would gladly pay extra for. They said it's not possible.

In that case you need to get irate with them and demand that they honor their warranty in a timely fashion, like "HONOR UR WARRANTY TO ME RAWR!!!".
angry.gif

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
KTallguy said:
That does really suck...
I hope that they can emulate everything through software someday.

That doesn't make replacing the BC PS3 hardware any easier for a broken PS3.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
This really needs a class action suit.

There are lots of things in the gaming world that needs a lawsuit, this isn't one of them.

Ranger X

Evander said:
Really?

You're going to try and pass off Sony's BS on MSoft?

Just a joke man, common. I always felt customer service with the big 3 was like:

Nintendo >> Sony >> Microsoft.

Now we see here than Sony is taking a hit. They should replace for a 80gig or have some 60 gig ready.

Evander

"industry expert"
Ranger X said:
Just a joke man, common. I always felt customer service with the big 3 was like:

Nintendo >> Sony >> Microsoft.

Now we see here than Sony is taking a hit. They should replace for a 80gig or have some 60 gig ready.

Nintendo is definitely leagues ahead.

But I've alwaysseen Sony CS as being just as shitty as MSoft CS. It's just a matter that (this generation) SOny stuff is less likely to break down.

YYZ

I sent my 20GB for repairs a week ago, but I'm not in Europe so the situation may be different. This is through a store too so it shouldn't be as long. I will not get back a 20GB/60GB if they can't repair my 20GB so it is unfortunate.

Hcoregamer00 said:
There are lots of things in the gaming world that needs a lawsuit, this isn't one of them.

Lots of BC systems are still under warranty. 2-3 months for a warranty claim is beyond acceptable.

Evander

"industry expert"
Hcoregamer00 said:

Unlike other companies, which act out of fear of potential lawsuits, SOny only seems to make changs after they've actually had a lawsuit started against them.

LAMBO

lynux3 said:
Sony should start getting that PS2 software emulator running.

I don't think it's going to happen, i don't think there's ever been/will be a console that could emulate the previous.

SRG01

Evander said:
Unlike other companies, which act out of fear of potential lawsuits, SOny only seems to make changs after they've actually had a lawsuit started against them.

I'm pretty sure that all companies act like this, such as every single CE manufacturer out there.

And yes, there are plenty of horror stories out there concerning OoS products with the manufacturer. Not made anymore? SOL!!

domokunrox said:
Guys........

The PS3 is not a xbox 360......
Absolutely, but you're not going to feel any better about it if you're one of the 3% or whatever that has it happen to them. That said... that would probably only make about 60k people suffer with this.

Evander

"industry expert"
SRG01 said:
I'm pretty sure that all companies act like this, such as every single CE manufacturer out there.

There is a very real difference between whether a company does things before or after a suit is filed.

ESPECIALLY when you are discussing ways of getting them to change their behavior.

Choke on the Magic said:
This is why I think Sony removing BC was a mistake. Software emulation or not, not having BC sucks.
People complained about the PS3 being too expensive, and releasing a PS3 with PS2 BC just isn't technically possible to release cheap; therefore, it was removed. If people didn't complain so much about price (which Sony took a big hit in with the PS2 BC models), we wouldn't be here now.

Anyway, this is just for Europe, who has a much smaller supply of 60GB consoles (with no 80GB or 20GB). The U.S. is a different story where Sony has quite a stock of 60GB, 20GB, 80GB, and 40GB consoles. Anyone I know of from the U.S. said getting a replacement of their SKU did not take long at all. The only way for SCEA to run out is if most every 20GB/60GB/80GB broke at once, from what I heard.

SRG01

Evander said:
There is a very real difference between whether a company does things before or after a suit is filed.

ESPECIALLY when you are discussing ways of getting them to change their behavior.

Wait, what? You missed my point.

Nearly all companies will not do anything significant at the CS level until under a BBB complaint or a filed civil suit. The exception is when companies do things before such things are done. Blame it on corporate culture or a lack of authority at the lower ranks of the company, it doesn't matter.

In fact, I would say nearly all companies and corporations fall under the same pattern.

sw26

Kagari said:
This is a weird situation for PAL territories. You can still get your BC models replaced within a week in the US.

OP, what country are you in specifically?

I ask because I'm in the UK, and a few weeks ago my Blu-ray drive broke on my 60Gb PS3 which I bought last July and I got a replacement 60Gb machine delivered last Wednesday (which was swapped over with the delivery guy for my old machine on the spot).

In fact, I would have had it a week earlier if I had been able to stay at home all day for the delivery on the previous Tuesday (I had phoned Sony on the Saturday), meaning that it could have been as little as 3 days for me to get a replacement. And my new system is perfect (not to mention much quieter than my old machine).

Evander

"industry expert"
SRG01 said:
Wait, what? You missed my point.

Nearly all companies will not do anything significant at the CS level until under a BBB complaint or a filed civil suit. The exception is when companies do things before such things are done. Blame it on corporate culture or a lack of authority at the lower ranks of the company, it doesn't matter.

In fact, I would say nearly all companies and corporations fall under the same pattern.

In the recent history of this generation alone, though, both MSoft and Nintendo havemade changes simply out of the fear of a lawsuit occuring (three year warranties, and wrist strap replacements.)

My disc drive burned out a year ago. I have/had a launch day 60g. It took 10 days to get my replacement. Of course this was before the 80g and 40g models. My brother just had his powersupply on his 60g blow. This was a month ago. He got his replacement 60g in 14 days. We live in the U.S. Just a little first hand knowledge for everyone.

sw26

oo Kosma oo said:
Netherlands. Just across the pond from you.

That's pretty strange then. Sony UK must have their own specific stocks of 60Gb systems for UK customers only presumably. Seems a bit strange considering a Dutch 60Gb is the exact same as a UK 60Gb hardware wise.

Paznos

I find it funny they told you to call back, shouldn't they be calling you back to inform you of a delay or an update? that sucks :( I hope nothing ever goes wrong with my 60GB.

Mamesj

Banned
Maybe this is just in Europe?

I just got a 60gb yesterday and was actually going to ask this question. I'm in the U.S. though. If it breaks, do they give you a fixed 60gb back?

sprocket said:
honestly now how many of you still play ps2 games?

I just recently picked up Odin Sphere on the cheap. BC is a must for cheapasses like me. I'll be ready when God of War 2 finally drops to $20.

Mamesj

Banned
sprocket said:

Playing the MGS series right now. The PS2 library is also so epic that I know I'll be returning to several games over the next few years. The PS2's legs are miles long.

sw26

sprocket said:

I've got a couple of unfinished RPG's (FFX and FFXII) and I like to have the option of revisiting some of my old favourites upscaled (I plan on going through one or two of the MGS games before MGS4 for example).

I play newer games more obviously, but I still like to have the option of BC.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
sprocket said:
As long as they keep making new interesting PS2 games in Japan and they're getting brought overseas and localized, there'll be plenty of people who do in the near future.

<3 Atlus.

Plus a lot of people have quite the backlog.

YYZ said:
you couldn't be more transparent.
You should be directing that at sprocket's comment.

Zylander

I play PS2 games all the time. I've never stopped playing them, and I have a huge backlog. With the vast array of quality PS2 games, it really would have been nice if Sony got BC right.

I've kind of given up and am holding onto my PS2. But that situation does suck for the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom